LG G4 stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

verluci

Nov 12, 2015
Groningen
Hi XDA,
This morning I was just browsing Reddit when my phone suddenly shut down. When I tried to restart it I found that it was stuck in a bootloop.
I can only seem to get into download mode. Hard reset just doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, maybe it's broken, I'm not sure. I was running the low effort root, and hadn't modified anything recently. Using the 2014 flash tool just gives me a "Connection to server failed. Try again in a moment" error.
Does anyone have any idea how I can fix it?

Edit:
THE ONLY KNOWN FIX IS TO RMA AND THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A WAY TO RECOVER YOUR DATA

For some more information, the issue appears to be purely hardware based, and based on this thread seems to have primarily occured in the last months. Our phones randomly died during regular usage, then most users reported that rebooting it showed the "optimizing apps" thing (I personally did not see this) and then it rebooted again and went into a bootloop. Reinstalling the software often succeeds but doesn't actually fix anything, as your phone will just start looping again (still worth a try though, maybe you have some other unfortunate issue?). I myself and multiple users have tried the following things (text stolen from @dentralp because he wrote it up in such a good way):

Attempted Fixes:

1) Tried using LG bridge

-it says its updating to marshmallow (succeeds)
-then sits at LG boot screen without looping

2) Flashtool 2014 - Europe OPEN H81510D.kdz

-said that it couldn't connect to server
-clicked ok
-clicked retry
-says S/W update in progress
-stopped due to an error
-This is on my main PC, had issues with Flashtool before, will check on my laptop and feed back
-Fails on 9%

3) LGUP

-Only see's my device when I enter download mode
-Says my device is unknown so won't do anything with it
-Restarted Computer
-Wants a .tot not .kdz, contrary to the guide posted - out my depth, whats the difference between a kdz and a tot?
-Click on upgrade
-Chose Europe OPEN H81510D.kdz
-Close and reopen LGUP
-Making sure Refurbish is chosen (kdz should still be active file)
-Click Start
-80% Reboots, Reboots, reboots, reboots...
-100% "Click here to continue" on computer
-Reboot
-Bootloop

4) Longshot

-now I assume that I'm back on lp, moving back to step 2 Flashtool 2014
-Connection to server failed
-ignored
-seconds later it starts flashing
-Bootloop

5) LGUP

-Same as 3 above, but with MM H81520a_00.kdz
-Complete
-Bootloop
-repeated to go back to Europe OPEN H81510D.kdz

edit 26-1-2016
LG finally recognized the issue. They state that the problem is a loose connector. Article here: http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-admits-g4-bootloop-problem-hardware-fault-669603/

As far as I can tell, the issue is not restricted to certain phones, but primarily phones with serial 505xxxxxxxxxxx appear to be victim to this.

UPDATE: PEOPLE ARE CLAIMING THERE IS A WAY TO SAVE YOUR DATA

People are claiming that you can save your phone and recover your data by disabling the Big core. This means disabling everything that makes your phone fast. It may be a good way to recover your data if it's critical, but I would not recommend it as a real permanent fix, since it does make your phone a lot slower (a phone has 4 little cores and 4 big cores, the little ones are very energy efficient but slow, and the big cores are fast but not efficient). I don't have a clue whether this voids your warranty or not, and I've not seen many people confirm that it's working either, but it's worth a try! More information on the comment by gabriel713281 here and in the reddit thread here.

Last edited:

texasfan67

Jan 11, 2009
Same thing happened to me. That seems super odd. Mine randomly restarted last night and stuck in Boot loop. Havent had any issues whatsoever before this

Follow_and_Feel

Apr 7, 2014
Montabaur
Hi XDA,
This morning I was just browsing Reddit when my phone suddenly shut down. When I tried to restart it I found that it was stuck in a bootloop.
I can only seem to get into download mode. Hard reset just doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, maybe it's broken, I'm not sure. I was running the low effort root, and hadn't modified anything recently. Using the 2014 flash tool just gives me a "Connection to server failed. Try again in a moment" error.

Hey there! You could go back to stock and fully wipe your phone using this method. Should work.

If the problem still remains I'd believe it's a hardware related problem. Hit thanks if it worked for you :)

jobw96

Dec 11, 2015
Hi XDA,

When you get the ''connection to server failed'' error, just wait. it actually flashes but for some reason you get that error.

Hanozy

Oct 15, 2011
Sweden
Hey, same thing happened to me. Went to my carrier the day after because I have warranty there. It ended up in them replacing the circuit board, now my phone wasn't rooted but it was in a bootloop and it just wouldn't start. We may not have the same problem but it could be so.

verluci

Nov 12, 2015
Groningen
When you get the ''connection to server failed'' error, just wait. it actually flashes but for some reason you get that error.

How long would I have to wait? After how long would I have known that it did actually fail? Or should I just leave it for a while and guess? If I remember correctly it actually reset the installing percentage as well, but don't quote me on that quite yet (I'll try again overnight or tomorrow morning).

oile

Jul 18, 2011
Taranto
Everyone with bootloop please write down model, operator and more importantly the initial three digits of their serial number (or production date from "Lg phone from" app in play store)

jobw96

Dec 11, 2015
How long would I have to wait? After how long would I have known that it did actually fail? Or should I just leave it for a while and guess? If I remember correctly it actually reset the installing percentage as well, but don't quote me on that quite yet (I'll try again overnight or tomorrow morning).

well, i don't rember how long it took when i tried it, i just left it at that error message and it worked after quite some time.

dentralp

Jul 15, 2008
H815EU - unlocked bootloader / TWRP / Root

Last Update: 10/03/2015 - END OF THE SAGA

Solution 1 (Clean Software): RMA to LG or place of purchase
Solution 2 (Modified Software - within 6 months - UK): Return to retailer
Solution 3 (Modified Software - UK): Return to LG
Solution 4 (Modified Software - after 6 months): Find some paper to weigh down
Solution 5 (General): Don't buy LG's Hardware - quality control is questionable at best

The Journey

Although some people have reported getting some functionality back, no such luck for myself and majority of others.

What I didn't try

-Flashing MM20b - any method
-Flashing MM20c - any method

in fact, not even checked that they exists (no phone, lg has it!)

Don't think it was about when I was trying to recover (?) - I also highly doubt that flashing these will help you
Lost all hope? no chance of RMA? want your data back?

Possible 24 hour fixes for data retrieval
http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/help/diy-h815-usa-variant-hardware-boot-loop-t3311623

Attempted fixes. Pre-warning, this is my journey starting 12th December and is raw (includes thoughts and mistakes).

12/12/2015

+1
12 hours ago while sending a text my phone restarted. I logged back in to write the text again, it restarted then bootlooped.

H815EU
unlocked bootloader
TWRP
Root
S/N 506xxx

Attempted Fixes

1) Tried using LG bridge

-clicked ok
-clicked retry
-stopped due to an error
-This is on my main PC, had issues with Flashtool before, will check on my laptop and feed back
-Fails on 9%

3) LGUP

-Restarted Computer
-Wants a .tot not .kdz, contrary to the guide posted - out my depth, whats the difference between a kdz and a tot?
-Click on upgrade
-Close and reopen LGUP
-Click Start
-Reboot
-Bootloop

4) Longshot

-ignored
-Bootloop

5) LGUP

-Complete
-Bootloop

12/12/2015

-I assume that in the uk the MM update was rolled out for the carrier free G4 and my phone chewed it up and then choked on it
-If someone figures it out let me know, otherwise its time for a new phone :/

-apparently you can use adb while LGUP is connected, might try it at some point, had enough for a couple hours
Attempted RMA

15/12/2015

Carrier quickly give me a reference to send the phone back to them

@nashant recommended LG customer services (for those of us in the UK). Straight to LG, better option than via CarrierI feel.

0344 847 5454
http://www.lg.com/uk/support

Customer support were brilliant DPD out tomorrow to collect my phone. I will update as necessary. Take down your imei before sending it off

17/12/2015

DPD have collected my mobile. Fingers crossed!

22/12/2015

At the repair centre since 18/12/15 awaiting repair

04/01/2016

LG phones helpline is really busy - offering callbacks. I got one, they lost my phone :/

05/01/2016

Turns out LG are that busy with returned phones at the moment, warranty repairs are being sent to none warranty repair centres - mine is at SV (?) - This is why they couldn't find my phone. Make sure that you take down your imei number before you send it off, seems this is how they track phones internally, not by your reference number. I am assured that SV (?) are going to do a fantastic job and I should get my phone back next Monday.

11/01/2016

LG haven't had an update from the repair centre... they are chasing it and will get back to me by Weds/Thursday.
Interesting part of the conversation, the person on the phone had said to me

Agent "Do you know its gone to the out of warranty repair centre.."
Me "Yes, I was told that it was so busy that they had to but I would get same quality repair"

I am hoping this isn't because of an unlocked bootloader, especially with the issue being duff hardware. Although this hasn't even been mentioned so far.... Starting to worry now. My house is full of LG electronics but I might not be using them again... !

14/01/2016

LG have refused the repair

I now have a fairly expensive paperweight and will never buy anything from LG electronics again, that annoyed I might even get rid of the tv and home cinema, seems a good time to upgrade to 4k anyway

Been bouncing back to carrier all day re the consumer rights act in England and the EU directive. They seem to think as a retailer that they have no responsibility.

Which is a UK Consumer champion with extended rights, it discusses the Consumer Rights Act at that link.

"If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it is presumed to have been there from the time of delivery - unless the retailer can prove otherwise."

The Solutions

Solution 2

After 3 months saying the same thing and not leaving them alone, raising complaints about there complaints handling, contacting the Citezins advice, contacting which and reminding my carrier that;

the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (amended) protects me in this case OUTSIDE manufacturer warranty and that you are not only liable but have a legal responsibility due to the goods being of unsatisfactory quality and unfit for purpose.

My carrier eventually offered me a replacement phone, a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Solution 3

It seems that if you refuse to let them bully you and you remind them of the text on THEIR OWN website;

Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty.
As we cannot guarantee the proper operation of our hardware with custom software, we are not able to maintain the full scope of warranty for your device after you have unlocked the bootloader.
Because of that we have a responsibility to let you know that defects which may result from, or were caused by custom device-software may not be covered by LG warranty.

That they eventually offer to fix your phone;

Ok, here goes.

1) SBE suck major ass - don't even try to talk to them
2) NEVER stop emailing, if they say the case is closed, open a new one while copying in your old one (both to the same cic email, but nevermind it harasses them)
3) Remember, YOU ARE in the right, articulate it.
4) If you unlocked with their bootloader, you did so by the terms on their website. When doing so it DID NOT warn you that you would lose warranty for pre existing hardware faults, only that failure due to SOFTWARE may break warranty. With this your warranty is in fact 100% in tact and as warranty is a legal intent they are obliged to fix your phone. If you had been warned that warranty would IN FACT be broken, even for unrelated issues, you would never have unlocked the bootloader. The FACT remains that LG is not acting upon ITS OWN guidance, this is a PRE EXISTING issue and they MUST fix or replace. - I have NO legal experience, but I know companies will try to fob you off to make you back down. If you are in the right, keep at them, bring in more people to the mix, make life AS HARD as possible for them.
5) Word it better than I did in my emails below, I was a little bit annoyed writing them and they were often drafted on a Lumia 930
6) This is the end of a back and forth and what I personally believe turned the tide;

These emails are from the email thread, therefore read them the BOTTOM ONE FIRST

Me,

After lengthy discussions with our upper management team and senior technician we have decided to repair the boot loop issue on your device as a gesture of goodwill. Please note that this offer is for the boot loop issue only and you handset will not carry any further warranty with LG after the repair is complete.

If you wish to accept this offer please reply with the date (Mon-Fri) and the UK address (we currently have [address] on your file) that you would like the phone collecting from and I would be happy to arrange this for you.

Kind regards

RE
Team Leader
Resolutions team

!!!!! After the email below, he copied in his boss, then I got the email above. Don't think he realises I got that part of the email trail, I haven't got the email or I would give it, only a name !!!!

Sent: 17
To: uk svcadmin//LGEUN SVC - CRM([email protected]); cic uk//LGEUN SVC([email protected])
Subject: RE: response to complaint

No you haven’t, you entirely ignored my email again. Please explain the excerpts from your website, I will include the full quote;

“Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty.

As we cannot guarantee the proper operation of our hardware with custom software, we are not able to maintain the full scope of warranty for your device after you have unlocked the bootloader.
Because of that we have a responsibility to let you know that defects which may result from, or were caused by custom device-software may not be covered by LG warranty."

Your quote is from a title, the contents and description of the terms are then spoken about in the section below it. You are referencing my reference cylindrically and it only enforces my point.
If you can’t answer the simple questions I would like you to put me on to someone who can.

Also, define developer. My bsc hons is in computing and I have worked with Linux since redhat. I fully understand hardware and software and for one effects the other which is why i am so upset about the crap hardware you made.

Sent from Outlook Mail for Windows 10 phone

Sent: 17
To: ME

Dear Mr ME,

In answer to your question regarding the official LG website which allowed you to unlock your device, it clearly states at the top of the page “"Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty". As you can see this statement is very clear and there are no stipulations or exemptions to this rule. Just to clarify when we say “it will no longer be covered by LG warranty" this means for any and all faults including faults that are unrelated to the bootloader being unlocked.

It also clearly states at the top of the page "Please be advised that this feature is intended for developers only" therefore if you are not a developer you have ignored a clear warning which is there for your own protection.

I hope I have clearly explained our position to you and the matter can now be closed. I understand that you are disappointed with our decision and am genuinely sorry that we have not been able to come to a more mutually agreeable conclusion.

Kind regards

RE

Team leader
LG Resolutions Team
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

Sent: 16
To: uk svcadmin//LGEUN SVC - CRM([email protected])
Subject: Re: response to complaint

I appreciate that but you have entirely ignored my last email and the wording of your own website.
Please comment in reference to the quotes from your website.
If these are indeed wrong on therefore misleading they need removing from YOUR website.

As you can see, I followed a process provided by LG. Any issue that arose was not in relation to this and therefore by the wording of your own website, your own process, my warranty is IN FACT still in tact.

If you can't answer my questions I would like this escalated to someone who can.

Sent: 16
To: ME

Dear mE,

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced with your G4 and for any inconvenience caused. Whilst I do appreciate your comments and the disappointment caused by our decision I feel I have explained the reasons behind our decision at length on several occasions and as such I am not able to offer you any further assistance.

Please note that we at LG take all complaints very seriously and also accept that mistakes will be made and that we will occasionally fall below our service standards. Therefore your feedback is very important to us. This allows LG to identify areas to make further improvements to our services. Your complaint has been officially logged.

Kind regards

RE

Team leader
LG Resolutions Team
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

Sent: 15
To: uk svcadmin//LGEUN SVC - CRM([email protected]); cic uk//LGEUN SVC([email protected])
Subject: Re: response to complaint

You should chose your words more wisely.

"unauthorised alterations "

The alterations were not unauthorised, in fact, they were enabled by LGE and was only possible due to LGE emailing me with an unlocked bootloader to flash.

http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev?categoryTypeCode=ANRS

"As we cannot guarantee the proper operation of our hardware with custom software, we are not able to maintain the full scope of warranty for your device after you have unlocked the bootloader.
Because of that we have a responsibility to let you know that defects which may result from, or were caused by custom device-software may not be covered by LG warranty."

THIS WAS NOT A DEFECT THAT RESULTED FROM CUSTOM DEVICE SOFTWARE.

Wording - MAY NOT BE COVERED BY LG WARRANTY.

This clearly leaves open that some warranty would be honoured, like catastrophic failure in the manufacture process. This clearly suggested that my hardware warranty is in fact in tact.

YOU provided me with a way to unlock my phone

YOU provided me with the software to do so

YOU provided the disclaimer leaving open the question about warranty

"LG will not be responsible for the damages caused by any custom software being flashed to your phone."

Custom software DID NOT cause damage to my phone

IF YOUR DISCLAIMER HAD STATED OUT RIGHT THAT AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER WOULD FULLY VOID WARRANTY I WOULDNT HAVE DONE IT. AS IT HAPPENS, NOTHING RELATED TO THE UNLOCK BROKE MY PHONE. YOUR MANUFACTURING DID.

Please read your OWN disclaimers, I 100% find YOU at fault for this.

It is only reasonable that you fix my phone - based on;

your website

your disclaimer

Conclusion

The choice of a free Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge from my carrier or have my LG G4 fixed by LG

;)
I am Hopeful that everything else will be smooth. +rep to @nashant for the recommendation re LG customer services.

Happy bunny after almost 5 months fighting. Here's a potato...

dentralp

Last edited:

verluci

Nov 12, 2015
Groningen
+1
12 hours ago

H815EU - unlocked bootloader / TWRP / Root

Last Update: 14/01/2015 - LG refused warranty repair due to the device being rooted
Solution (Clean Software): RMA to LG or place of purchase
Solution (Modified Software): Find some paper to weigh down
Solution (General): Don't buy LG's Hardware - quality control is questionable at best

Although some people have reported getting some functionality back, no such luck for myself and majority of others.

What I didn't try;

-Flashing MM20b - any method
-Flashing MM20c - any method

in fact, not even checked that they exists :p (no phone, lg has it!)

Don't think it was about when I was trying to recover (?) - I also highly doubt that flashing these will help you :eek:

Click the show content button to see what was tried and updates on the RMA. Pre-warning, this is my journey starting 12th December and is all condensed to 1 post.

12/12/2015

+1
12 hours ago while sending a text my phone restarted. I logged back in to write the text again, it restarted then bootlooped.

H815EU
unlocked bootloader
TWRP
Root
S/N 506xxx

Attempted Fixes:

1) Tried using LG bridge

-clicked ok
-clicked retry
-stopped due to an error
-Fails on 9%

3) LGUP

-Restarted Computer
-Click on upgrade
-Close and reopen LGUP
-Click Start
-Reboot
-Bootloop

4) Longshot

-ignored
-Bootloop

5) LGUP

-Complete
-Bootloop

12/12/2015

-I assume that in the uk the MM update was rolled out for the carrier free G4 and my phone chewed it up and then choked on it
-If someone figures it out let me know, otherwise its time for a new phone :/

-apparently you can use adb while LGUP is connected, might try it at some point, had enough for a couple hours
Updates

15/12/2015

GiffGff quickly give me a reference to send the phone back to them

@nashant recommended LG customer services (for those of us in the UK). Straight to LG, better option than via Giffgaff I feel.

0344 847 5454
http://www.lg.com/uk/support

Customer support were brilliant DPD out tomorrow to collect my phone. I will update as necessary. Take down your imei before sending it off

17/12/2015

DPD have collected my mobile. Fingers crossed!

22/12/2015

At the repair centre since 18/12/15 awaiting repair

04/01/2016

LG phones helpline is really busy - offering callbacks. I got one, they lost my phone :/

05/01/2016

Turns out LG are that busy with returned phones at the moment, warranty repairs are being sent to none warranty repair centres - mine is at SV (?) - This is why they couldn't find my phone. Make sure that you take down your imei number before you send it off, seems this is how they track phones internally, not by your reference number. I am assured that SV (?) are going to do a fantastic job and I should get my phone back next Monday.

11/01/2016

LG haven't had an update from the repair centre... they are chasing it and will get back to me by Weds/Thursday.
Interesting part of the conversation, the person on the phone had said to me

Agent "Do you know its gone to the out of warranty repair centre.."
Me "Yes, I was told that it was so busy that they had to but I would get same quality repair"

I am hoping this isn't because of an unlocked bootloader, especially with the issue being duff hardware. Although this hasn't even been mentioned so far.... Starting to worry now. My house is full of LG electronics but I might not be using them again... !

14/01/2016

LG have refused the repair

I now have a fairly expensive paperweight and will never buy anything from LG electronics again, that annoyed I might even get rid of the tv and home cinema, seems a good time to upgrade to 4k anyway ;)

Been bouncing back to Giffgaff all day re the consumer rights act in England and the EU directive. They seem to think as a retailer that they have no responsibility.

Which is a UK Consumer champion with extended rights, it discusses the Consumer Rights Act at that link.

"If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it is presumed to have been there from the time of delivery - unless the retailer can prove otherwise."

I am Hopeful that everything else will be smooth. +rep to @nashant for the recommendation re LG customer services.

dentralp

Very nice post and that sounds logical. I think that the update would be the issue? I did have updates turned off though. I would like to add that I did also manage to get in hard reset mode or whatever that is called, but it just gave a black screen for a minute, then the LG logo, then the android installation icon thing, then went back to a bootloop.

Edit: I live in Holland, so the update would be rolled out in all of Europe probably?

Last edited by a moderator:

texasfan67

Jan 11, 2009
Model: LG VS986LD
Carrier: Verizon
First three of serial: 506

I have flashed the correct KDZ multiple times and it has processed correctly in both LGUP & Flashtool 2014, but after still bootloops. I have done a factory reset from recovery and issue still occurs. Original Bootloop occur out of no where, no recent (5ish days) changes were made.

bigbear1308

Aug 31, 2013
Ayutthaya, TH
Hey, This is a BIG problem.
In my country (Thailand), sales model is H818P Dual-sim.
but Something wrong.
almost H818P with s/n 505xxxxxxxxxxx GOT THIS BOOTLOOP in DAILY!! since October after V10f firmware update.
(other s/n get this too. but very fewer than 505xxxxxxxx and most of all bootloop was used G4 for 3-6 month)
It's not software problem, it's a HARDWARE problem. Can't flash KDZ. still BOOTLOOP
Until today, It's about 2-300 user in Thailand ever get bootloop and almost of them is normal user not advance user. They only update via OTA no flash tool, no root, and no any modify. use as normal daily life. camera, social, call, game, even in sleep time. This booloop can be found anytime.
However, LGE Thailand had release 2 announcements about this in this month. but nothing. They only told user can get free mainboard replacement. FOR WHAT??? We have waruntee for 18 months.
IF LG DOESN'T DO SOMETHING BETTER THAN WAIT FOR BOOTLOOP AND GIVE A REPLACEMENT. MAY BE NEXT PHONE OF LG FANBOY IN THAILANG WILL NOT A "LG" BRAND EVEN LG SERVICE IS A BEST SERVICE IN THAILAND.

Sorry for my ENG.

Last edited:

Larry Johnson

Mar 19, 2015
This is a common occurance with G4. In Korea, MM update was pulled by LG for a while b/c it was causing HARDWARE failure! ONLY FIX was to switch out the board. The Korean forums were full of people complaining of this issue. Most common was surfing the net would cause the phone to reboot, then boot loop. In Korea, you can go to a service center, show them your phone, and the board will be replaced in less than an hour. Other common problems are screen ghosting, screen burn in, touch screen lagging...ect. People seems to have accepted the fact that if a G4 malfunctions, the most likey fix will be switching out the board. Luckly my G4 has been working fine since the day one, but I haven't updated to MM. I never update to a new OS when it first comes out. I've had my bad experiences with bugs and incompatible apps and what not whenever a new OS comes out. I think of them as somewhere between alpha and beta. never mind the code change that blocks some mods.

Sorry, I digress. Other people have reported similar symptoms, even if they didn't update to MM. They also say, the launch day released version of the phone ususally has this problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IT WORKS!!!!

First I want to thank Oile and all the other members of this forum and cutol under this link
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/45gfg2/dae_g4_series_msm_big_core_disable_tool_guide/

I do believe that the OP should change this post because this is a LEGITAMATE solution to fixing the bootloop error. My phone is considerably slower but I was able to recover all of my data and information and it is still functional. and it DOES NOT require baking or freezing your phone

I wont be as detailed as they are in the link but I will just try to explain what I did and how it worked for me.

According to the reddit link, The actual problem is within some of the cores so disabling them will get the phone to start working again while at the same time slowing down your phone.
    My phone however an LG Trial version but it may still work with yours as well. (LGH-815)

Models this method works for:

H812
    H815
    H815K
    H815TR
    h818
    H818N
    H818P
    H819
    V32

Camera Works
    Music Works
    Videos work
    Apps work!

Everything is just slower

Here are the steps that I took to RESTORE ALL OF MY DATA and regain moderate usage of my device

The first thing I did was download the LG bridge tool on my computer to make sure I had all the drivers to connect my computer to my phone
    The next thing I did was go into the reddit blog and download the file they have posted there
    I extracted it and first went over the detailed powerpoint on how to restore the phone
    I put my phone in download mode by holding the volume up button then plugging the usb cord (That was already inserted into my computer) into my phone and continued holding up until the new screen appeared
    I then released the up button and began the process that was directed on the powerpoint
    I selected my phones .tot file then clicked start. it took about 5 minutes
    The long part was the optimizing apps part this process took at least 45 minutes so you have to make sure your phone is FULLY charged.
    After it completed optimizing the apps the phone started as if it hadn't been a brick for the last 3 months :good:
    Now when using your phone try not to open super big files if you can just insert a storage card or transfer your files via usb cable

again THIS WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No OVEN NO FREEZER (although I did try the freezer :( it didn't work ) STOP COOKING YOUR PHONES!!
    Hi XDA,

Edit:
    THE ONLY KNOWN FIX IS TO RMA AND THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A WAY TO RECOVER YOUR DATA

For some more information, the issue appears to be purely hardware based, and based on this thread seems to have primarily occured in the last months. Our phones randomly died during regular usage, then most users reported that rebooting it showed the "optimizing apps" thing (I personally did not see this) and then it rebooted again and went into a bootloop. Reinstalling the software often succeeds but doesn't actually fix anything, as your phone will just start looping again (still worth a try though, maybe you have some other unfortunate issue?). I myself and multiple users have tried the following things (text stolen from @dentralp because he wrote it up in such a good way):

Attempted Fixes:

1) Tried using LG bridge

-clicked ok
    -clicked retry
    -stopped due to an error
    -Fails on 9%

3) LGUP

-Restarted Computer
    -Click on upgrade
    -Close and reopen LGUP
    -Click Start
    -Reboot
    -Bootloop

4) Longshot

-ignored
    -Bootloop

5) LGUP

-Complete
    -Bootloop

edit 26-1-2016
    LG finally recognized the issue. They state that the problem is a loose connector. Article here: http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-admits-g4-bootloop-problem-hardware-fault-669603/

As far as I can tell, the issue is not restricted to certain phones, but primarily phones with serial 505xxxxxxxxxxx appear to be victim to this.

UPDATE: PEOPLE ARE CLAIMING THERE IS A WAY TO SAVE YOUR DATA

People are claiming that you can save your phone and recover your data by disabling the Big core. This means disabling everything that makes your phone fast. It may be a good way to recover your data if it's critical, but I would not recommend it as a real permanent fix, since it does make your phone a lot slower (a phone has 4 little cores and 4 big cores, the little ones are very energy efficient but slow, and the big cores are fast but not efficient). I don't have a clue whether this voids your warranty or not, and I've not seen many people confirm that it's working either, but it's worth a try! More information on the comment by gabriel713281 here and in the reddit thread here.
    Hi guys, I've developed a new app to re-enable all the working cores. It's a permanent fix.

Video #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbJXwPmbXFc
    Video #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NziX5Fyq58

Please give me a feedback and also share the app with all your friends & acquaintances :)
    For anybody that has been screwed over by this issue....
    https://www.change.org/p/lg-mobile-...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Someone has started a petition to get LG to acknowledge the issue and replace any device affected.
    RMA update

The message i received today from the LG authorized service belonging to the shop where i bought my G4 from:

"This is to inform you that your phone with serial 506KPYR395XXX is not subject to repair and as such has been replaced under warranty with a new one with serial 510KPED732XXX as instructed by LG Romania. Thank you for your patience." ( I replaced last 3 digits of serial with XXX )

I've sent the phone to the shop where i bought it from on January 5, and today January 12 i have received the service file with the above resolution. Tomorrow i should go to the shop and pick up the new phone.
    I was in doubt if they would change it since the original shop answer was that they will repair it, so i called LG after dropping the phone at service, and been talking with them and gave them the serial number and last 6 digits of IMEI as they asked in order to track the phone when the shop service would ask for replacements. I have received confirmation from LG that series from May, June, July and August are afflicted by this issue and that the revision number doesn't matter. They also said that it is not necessary that all phones in these series will fail, but that under certain circumstances (not disclosed to me) they will start producing the bootloop issue which is h/w bound. I'm not trying to panic anyone of you, and i'm not asking you to take me for granted. It's just what i have been told by LG.

Regards
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone