Lg g4 super slow charge

Search This thread

Maverick0984

Dec 29, 2008
The cubicles (18 total}) have a main plug which is plugged into the wall outlet if that matters. And I'm in a data center as well, so the limiting thing could be possible.

All I know is What I experience at home with my G4 or G3 charger is twice as fast as in my cube.

Yeah, that does matter. Because it's a datacenter, amperage might be artificially limited to help protect the power grid there. Mostly from rogue or defective devices.

Gurule92

Aug 11, 2014
My quickcharge works I think. Does this seem low? (using best buy platinum charger with 10 ft cord)

Attachments

• QuickMemo+_2015-06-10-18-56-42.jpg
    QuickMemo+_2015-06-10-18-56-42.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 872

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
The LGs are sensitive to amperage. On the G2, i had a thread over there that many smarter people tested and proved it is the cables fault. Use a sturdy quality cable and the phone will not fall back to slow charging.

It seems the phone detects if the cable/charger combo meets a specific requirement with Amps. If it doesnt get enough it falls back to slow USB 500mA speeds. Anyway, search for the G2 battery charge thread. It has tons of tests and testing meters and results.

Another fix is to just wirelessly charge.

Micjam74

Jun 14, 2015
My wife and I both got g4s and they charge horribly slow. Even when using the quick charge charger. Any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Free mobile app

Thats really strange. The first time i charge my g4 using a regular charger it was slow but now its really fast. The home pages lag a bit though when scrolling.

Vijet

Jun 3, 2011
Fremont, California
Does someone try aukee quick charger ? i wonder how fast it can be ...
I use the Aukey quick charger and it's quite fast.
To give you an idea, the phone charged from 20% to 90% in 1 hour flat. (Got to 100% in another 10-15 minutes)
I had switched off bluetooth and location services, but wifi was on. Hardly switched on the screen for the 1 hour.
That is quite fast in my opinion.

Reactions: philmidd

Z3ldaFan88

Apr 9, 2015
Fort Fairfield
I also have the same problem (well I would not call it "Slow Charging" but just for having the "fast charge" title I feel it should go...well, faster).

I also have the Note Edge and I find the fast charging on that is astounding (like to the point that when I did the first charging of it from a battery level of 12% I felt like it telling me I was fully charged had to be a mistake).

I would say this device charges faster than my older device (Note 3, s5, S3, Evo 4g LTE) but in comparison to some of the other fast charging devices it leaves something to be desired.

Tensoneu

Jan 12, 2010
My LG G4 (VS986) charges really slow, according to The Practical Meter (Google this if interested, I don't have 10+ posts to be able to post URLS) here are the results:
Stock Charger + Stock Cable = Does not charge more than 1.2A (6W). Stays around 1A (5W) most of the time.
Stock Charger + Anker Cable = Does not charge more than 1.2A (6W). Stays around 1A (5W) most of the time.
Stock Charger + Monoprice Premium Cable = Charges at .4A (2W).
Anker Power IQ 5-Port USB Charger + Stock Cable = Does not charge more than 1.2A (6W). Stays around 1A (5W) most of the time.
Anker Power IQ 5-Port USB Charger + Anker Cable = Does not charge more than 1.2A (6W). Stays around 1A (5W) most of the time.
Anker Power IQ 5-Port USB Charger + Monoprice Premium Cable = Charges at .4A (2W).

Given the above results, the included stock charger doesn't even draw the full 1.8A (9W). Testing was done when the battery level was around 50-55%.

RedOCtobyr

Jun 10, 2015
Thanks for doing the testing, and posting the results.

What does it show if you add software-based monitoring, like with free Battery Monitor Widget? That would also report the battery's temperature, which plays a role.

I did temperature vs charging speed testing, here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/help/slow-charging-apparently-related-to-t3134443

With the phone cool enough (I was holding it in front of an air conditioner), I saw charge rates up to 1500mA with the stock charger & cable, with the screen on at full brightness, and WiFi on. Others have reported that the QC 2.0 chargers can provide faster charge rates. Presumably, turning the screen off will further increase the charge current. Less heat being generated, and no current drain from the screen.

But once my battery reached a displayed ~90F, my charge current would drop to about 280mA. So you have to keep an eye on temperatures when doing testing like this, or you could get misleading results.

Tensoneu

Jan 12, 2010
Unfortunately I left my stock charger at work today. I tested with the following:
- Anker 5-port IQ Charger + Anker micro USB cable (1 ft)
- Ampere App for temperature
- Removed battery cover and placed in front of AC unit
- Testing began with phone at 19%

13.9C/57.02F = The app read 1070mA, the Practical Meter read the same (5W or 1A)
I kept the cable in and left it charging for a few minutes, while holding the phone (battery side) in front of the AC.

I'll test it with the stock charger tomorrow (if I remember to bring it home) but I doubt it'll make a difference.

cpam

Oct 11, 2007
London
I find this very annoying. i am using the charger from my Nexus 7 0.28a , it charges my Z2 in 3h and my G4 in 6+h......
It looks to me to be fault software\ hardware.
My question is , has anyone returned\ exchanged his handset?
This is what i am going to do Monday.

RedOCtobyr

Jun 10, 2015
I don't know what that charger is, I assume 0.28A is not the current rating of the charger?

Try the stock charger and cable (I've learned that cheap cables can make a difference), and see how long a charge takes.

Better yet, also use Battery Monitor Widget, which will let you log the actual charge rates. That way you can put some charge current numbers to it, to compare with other users, without just having to wait for an entire charge to complete. And you can see if those charge current numbers change during the charge.

As posted above, I can reach about 1600mA with the stock LG charger & cable. If you keep the phone cool enough (you at least need to keep the screen off), then it can maintain that charge rate, which is around 1%/minute. But as the phone warms up, the phone will reduce the charge rate, maybe to ~300mA. I typically see this when my battery is warmer than ~90-95F. This is obviously much slower. With a Quick Charge 2.0 charger, I can get about 1900mA, or 1.2%/minute.

There is no way around this at the moment, so far as I know. LG could probably raise the reduced-current temperature threshold, but I don't think we have access to those settings yet.

So for now, use a good charger & cable, and keep the phone cool, for the fastest charging.

IrfanSiddiqui

Aug 9, 2015
same issue but different insight may help

Hi, please help me understand why is my LG G4 charging slow with its stock charger provided in the package which is : 5.0V - 1.8A (Charging time 4hrs 49mins) as its shows in the battery statistics and while I use nokia charger for 930 which is : 5.0 V - 1.5A (its showing 1hr 52mins) - I tried to change the cables thinking maybe the cable has something to do with it - tried it in both 220V-110V outlets - but the situation is the same, my LG charger with high amperes is taking more time then other chargers with low amperes?

RedOCtobyr

Jun 10, 2015
Are you testing back-to-back, with the phone at the same temperature? If you change back to the LG, does it still show being slower?

Are you using the same cable with each charger? Perhaps something is wrong with the LG cable?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My wife and I both got g4s and they charge horribly slow. Even when using the quick charge charger. Any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry man but there are SO many threads on this already. Please search before posting.
    Does someone try aukee quick charger ? i wonder how fast it can be ...
    I use the Aukey quick charger and it's quite fast.
    To give you an idea, the phone charged from 20% to 90% in 1 hour flat. (Got to 100% in another 10-15 minutes)
    I had switched off bluetooth and location services, but wifi was on. Hardly switched on the screen for the 1 hour.
    That is quite fast in my opinion.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone