LG g5 root on Android 7.0

Search This thread

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
I'm fairly certain nobody is even working on the G5 anymore, at least not the Sprint variant. Enjoy it for what it is or switch brands.

ch99tj

Oct 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx
CRAP!! I just ordered 2 of these phones because best buy is offering them at $5 a month for 24 months or after activation $150 with no contract change. I have the g3. Never even thought root would be an issue. CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Anyone want to buy 2 unactivated G5's!

I took over my wife's G5 and left my G3 behind. Specs are great but overall is blah. I do love having 2 batteries for it though. boot time is vary fast and battery is a breeze to switch. No root but working hotspot. I'll also be moving along when I can. I must admit though. Not being rooted and using the fingerprint reader has been very nifty.

cityneversleepz

Feb 7, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.sunqifitness.com
I have one in a sealed box and I'm curious to know what android version it comes with when shipped from sprint. I see one guy selling one in a sealed box on ebay and it's showing android 6.0 in his description information. If that is the case, then am I right to think that it is rootable? I have a v20 as my daily driver so I'm undecided about keeping this or selling it.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

CRAP!! I just ordered 2 of these phones because best buy is offering them at $5 a month for 24 months or after activation $150 with no contract change. I have the g3. Never even thought root would be an issue. CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Anyone want to buy 2 unactivated G5's!

I took over my wife's G5 and left my G3 behind. Specs are great but overall is blah. I do love having 2 batteries for it though. boot time is vary fast and battery is a breeze to switch. No root but working hotspot. I'll also be moving along when I can. I must admit though. Not being rooted and using the fingerprint reader has been very nifty.

I have one too in the box and sealed. I just talked to sprint and it's shipped with android version 6.0.1

from what I'm reading over in the rooting thread, I think it's rootable. The key is right after it boots, remove the sim card. Then, if it's like the v20 there should be an option in developers options to turn off automatic updates. once you do that it will stay on the current version. Then you get the update message in the notifications an just long press it and turn off. That's in 7.0 though on v20 so I'm not sure if that will work in 6.0.1 but removing the sim card definitely will.

I'm a step closer to opening this box and giving root a shot now.