• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG G6 Moisture Detection Fix!!

Search This thread

1joe6

Aug 6, 2018
Ladies and gentleman,

For too long i have had this moisture detection problem. I have read "how to fix it" threads forever and to be honest. They don't work. I've disabled the moisture detect setting, soft reset my phone, cleaned my usb c port thousanda of times and nothing seems to work. However! I have the cure for good (until lg send us an update that eliminates this problem for us)

To fix this problem for good here it is! (well until you restart your phone you'll have to re do this step)

Go into your settings > apps and notifications > apps info > click the 3 dots top right corner > click show system > scroll all way to lg system server > click on it and then click force stop!

I really do hope this works for a lot if not all of you because it has rescued me from hell!

You are welcome

jdock

Dec 27, 2011
Interesting approach in light of what seems to be an increasingly common problem. Of course, it brings up some questions.

Most importantly, we don't know for sure what is causing the warning to be activated. It is there for a purpose and if you really have some conductivity between pins that shouldn't be there (whether due to debris or a faulty port), it might not be a good idea to bypass it. On the other hand, if this is a software bug (e.g a threshhold mis-set or incorrect sensor reading code) then a software fix is all you can do.

And we don't know what else "LG System Server" does. Maybe it is not such a good idea to disable it, or maybe you'll be overall happier anyway!

At any rate, if it is really beneficial to run this way, maybe you can disable it with LG package disabler and then you don't have to stop it every time you boot your phone. For me, if this starts happening so frequently, I'll really consider making use of the 2nd year promise.

Update 1: The problem was getting worse. I couldn't even charge while powered off. I tried force stopping this to see what happened. The notification went away until I plugged in the charger to see if it would charge (it didn't). I thought maybe LG System Server had started again, but when I went to force stop it again, the option was grayed out.

Update 2. I would like to save myself the hassle of the 2-year promise if it's really not needed, so I tried one more thing. I had previously tried wiping in the port with alcohol, which didn't help at all, but just now I tried electrical contact cleaner (CRC brand "2-26" part number 02004) that says it's plastic-safe. I put some on a paper towel, folded it around my pointy nylon zip tie end I use for pulling out the lint, and wiped the contacts as well as I could without getting the stuff all over everything.

It is too early to declare complete victory yet but it is fast charging now.

And... that lasted for about 15 minutes.

Last edited:

1joe6

Aug 6, 2018
Akash i have no problems plugging my phone into the computer, i am unsure where your issue lies. Further, jdock my phone is still working fine since ive force stopped my system server. There has been no glitches since and my phone charges accordingly! Goodluck to you!

jdock

Dec 27, 2011
So, yesterday I cleaned the usb port out with contact cleaner. This initially seemed to fix my problem: when I powered on my phone I did not get the moisture warning so I plugged in the charger and it fast charged, but only for about 15 minutes before giving me the warning again. It would toggle between charging and not charging so I unplugged the charger and set the phone aside.

After a couple hours I tried charging again and it fully fast-charged. So I thought maybe there was really something to this. I re-did the cleaning process again last night, just to make sure I am doing the best job I can, and did not attempt to charge overnight so that the solvent could continue to do its job. So far this morning it is still fine and it fully quick-charged again.

A permanent fix? I hope so. It's still way too early to be sure. Cleaning the port seemed to me the obvious answer whenever I heard about someone else having this problem, and it was my first thought when I started having it. But we all thought we had cleaned out the port and it didn't help. What if we're just not doing a good enough job?

For anyone with this problem, it can't hurt to try some CRC 2-26. Its description is "Plastic safe lubricant, penetrant and corrosion inhibitor that helps prevent electrical malfunctions caused by water penetration, humidity, condensation or corrosion". Maybe use the CRC QD contact cleaner first because the 2-26 is technically not really a cleaner. They are inexpensive.I just picked the 2-26 because they had it at Home Depot - about $3 for the 5 oz can that will last me forever (the QD is about the same). If I have to do this every few months, no big deal.

Just don't try to spray it directly into the port. You will make a huge oily mess. Figure out some kind of applicator. I ended up stuffing saturated paper towel on each side of the port and rubbing it around with a thin toothpick.

Reactions: Darxus

TheDjost

Jan 19, 2014
Montreal
In my case, the moisture warning was triggered by having my phone in my shirt pocket on a very hot, humid and sweaty day. Tried everything and nothing worked until I tried taking the sim/SD tray out overnight while leaving the phone on a warm surface.

The reasoning being that moisture may have been sucked in the phone due to heating/cooling the air inside pulling a vacuum.

Opening the sim/SD tray let the moisture evaporate. It's been a couple of days, and the moisture warning has not come back.

Souhail36

Aug 20, 2018
I had the same problem and i tried everything stoping lg syst..restart ...hair dryer even tho i my phone never touched water.what i found is dust and fiber tissue from my pocket was inside the connector , i used a tooth pick to clean it a little bit of alcohol just to make sure its really clean , and thats it. I hope i helped. Sorry for the english. 😉

students

May 19, 2007
I had this problem playing PUBG with sweaty hands.

I solved it by playing without a phone case and letting the phone dry. I am guessing my case was trapping the moisture?

Reactions: chakchak

Kevinlu1s

Oct 24, 2018
The option that its working for me now its leaving my phone on bed with a hairdryer next to it for about 25 minutes. The phone should be off, then i wait until it cooldown because it was really hot. After it cooled i try again pluging in the cable and start charging. I hope that the warning dont show again

fallenwout

Oct 19, 2011
I had reoccurring moisture detected, even when cable was not plugged in. I send it back under warranty. Attached is a screenshot of the diagnose from LG's service center. It also lists the replaced components (you can google the part numbers).
Language on the attachment is a mixture of German and Dutch. 20181009_221540.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Kevinlu1s

Oct 24, 2018
Kevin you will destroy your battery doing that.

I know the message pop up again. I didnt do that again.
The method that really worked for me was using a toothpick and flattened it with a pair of pliers then carefully cleaned the usb type-c charge port. So far so good, I only do that once and now I have got a week charging the phone normally without that warning, it really works for me, you guys definitely should try this.

CHUCK348

Nov 4, 2018
Thank you for your idea. Sure would like to see lg admit to the problem and provide a solution.i have the lg g7. Thanks again

ladies and gentleman,

for too long i have had this moisture detection problem. I have read "how to fix it" threads forever and to be honest. They don't work. I've disabled the moisture detect setting, soft reset my phone, cleaned my usb c port thousanda of times and nothing seems to work. However! I have the cure for good (until lg send us an update that eliminates this problem for us)

to fix this problem for good here it is! (well until you restart your phone you'll have to re do this step)

go into your settings > apps and notifications > apps info > click the 3 dots top right corner > click show system > scroll all way to lg system server > click on it and then click force stop!

I really do hope this works for a lot if not all of you because it has rescued me from hell!

You are welcome

Kaioh_shin

Dec 15, 2011
I have this issue but the fix does not worked for me.

The message appeared randomly while charging one night. It was nowhere near water for several months and I work in an office.
What I've tried:

- Drying with a hairdryer (not even a temporary fix)
- Force stopping LG system and LG server processes. I even disabled them with package disabler!
- Disabled the moisture sensor in secret menu. Warning still shows up! Even if I try to turn of the phone and charge it.
- Cleaned the USB C socket with a hairpin and cloth
- Cleaned under running water, swapped with alcohol and dried again (getting desperate)

It does however charge if I plug unplug it in like 5 times. Really annoying!
It does this regardless of charging cable, I tried with 5 cables at home and work.

I read somewhere that the pins were causing a short, but the pins are inside the cable right?
What else can I try?

Novoselic

Nov 28, 2018
My Solution

Having same issue for 3 days, have been try 3 different cable and 2 charger doesnt sholve the issue.

At first im trying to clean the port with a needle, and the moisture notification dissapear. But after that the fast charging didnt work, and when i try to charge while the phone turn off the moisture notification pop out.

Next day im trying other methods. I dont have access to isoprophyl instead im using hand sanitizer with 70% alcohol. Use a toothbrush with hand sanitizer to clean the port for 3 minutes, then let it dry. Now everything works perfectly, no notification and the fast charging work. Atleast for now. I'll give an update if something wrong

I still dont understand what cause this moisture issue, but i hope that can help you.

Zethexx

May 18, 2018
I think I may know a fix

In the stock dialer type in *#546368#*XXX#

Where XXX is the number of the model where you can find in Settings - system - about phone - common - hardware info "Model number" eg. Mine is LG-M700DSK. So, 700 fills in XXX. So mine would be *#546368#*700#.

Don't call, it will bring a hidden menu when input last digit. In hidden menu press svc menu, press moisture detection, turn Disable moisture detection to ON. It should give you a caution dialog, just accept it and it will bring a toast that says "sucess". This should disable moisture detection and will not notify about it.

chakchak

Mar 31, 2011
Houston
I think I may know a fix

In the stock dialer type in *#546368#*XXX#

Where XXX is the number of the model where you can find in Settings - system - about phone - common - hardware info "Model number" eg. Mine is LG-M700DSK. So, 700 fills in XXX. So mine would be *#546368#*700#.

Don't call, it will bring a hidden menu when input last digit. In hidden menu press svc menu, press moisture detection, turn Disable moisture detection to ON. It should give you a caution dialog, just accept it and it will bring a toast that says "sucess". This should disable moisture detection and will not notify about it.

Thanks for the tip, but I tried before. In my case, turning it on or off is not a solution. They didnt work both way

Kaioh_shin

Dec 15, 2011
After all the **** I did, I found my problem and solution.

It was because of my charging cable that had bent pins, yet oddly enough the moisture detected error persisted with other cables.
Thru away that cable, then reset the phone cache and soft reboot (volume down + power)
Hope this helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ladies and gentleman,

For too long i have had this moisture detection problem. I have read "how to fix it" threads forever and to be honest. They don't work. I've disabled the moisture detect setting, soft reset my phone, cleaned my usb c port thousanda of times and nothing seems to work. However! I have the cure for good (until lg send us an update that eliminates this problem for us)

To fix this problem for good here it is! (well until you restart your phone you'll have to re do this step)

Go into your settings > apps and notifications > apps info > click the 3 dots top right corner > click show system > scroll all way to lg system server > click on it and then click force stop!

You are welcome
    Working fix

assuming you have some battery left, type *#546368#*870# with the last 3 digits being your phone model no. into the dial pad, this will access the hidden menu.
    go into svc menu, moisture detect setting, then disable it. phone will restart.
    obviously youre disabling a sensor, so at your own risk.
    for me the error still pops up at start up and repeatadely every so often but if you replug the phone, it will charge no problem. adjust notifiction settings to hide the error.
    am working on a fix to remove the error notifiction. thought id share as it worked for me, not perfect but works.

edit;
    used a h870 g6 and now has all the latest updates but hadnt been updated for a year before that. i read somewhere that the hidden menu may be disabled for american and other variants of the g6, but worth a try.
    also force stopping lg system server after doing the above after each time the phone starts up seems to remove the error entirely.

if anyone knows what lg system server actually is and what it does please let me know 'cos i just want rid of it at this point.
    there is a cure for this problem.

The sensor that controls the moisture detection on the USB port does not just detect moisture but any substance that is on or near or inside the area of the USB C connector.

Solution:
    1: get a magnifying lens of some kind and a good flashlight. Shut off your phone!!!
    2: look inside the USB C connector all around it I do not mean just the pins I mean the whole area of the connector.
    3: remove any foreign substance. The bottom of the USB C connector should be a uniform(same) color all around the base of the pins. If it is not the same color there is a foreign substance and it needs to be cleaned thoroughly. Tools recommended a very fine tip pair of PC repair style tweezers, a can of compressed air, a small alcohol wipe(Not Cotton balls or anything else).
    I actually found a small particle of some kind stuck at the bottom of my USB C port I scraped it away and then had to carefully scrape around the pins to remove it all and the compressed air did not do it by itself nor did any other cleaning method it was a hard substance.
    *DO NOT SCRAPE THE PINS WITH THE TWEEZERS
    Method: First remove any hard substance or as much of anything that is inside the connector area using the tweezers and canned air. Use the Alcohol wipe with the tweezers and wipe around the bottom and the pins(yes the pins). Finally use the canned air again to remove anything else that the wipe may have dislodged. While the phone is off plug the charging cable in and check to see if you get the moisture warning.
    If warning persists be sure to use the compressed air on the ports right next to the USB port, pull out the Sim/SD tray and blast it with compressed air as well try plugging it in again.
    Never apply a heat source directly or indirectly to the cover of the phone either the screen or the back as extreme heat can damage the phone and will void the warranty and usually will not help the situation as that kind of heat will evaporate the moisture which will condense again after the heat cools. it will be able to be seen once the phone is taken apart. If you happen to drop a phone into water either partially or fully submerged shut the phone down immediately(remove the battery if you can) get a plastic container with a snap/sealable lid. Put a good layer of white dry rice inside it and then lay the phone into the layer of rice and seal the container. Wait at least 12 hours before trying to start the phone.
    When you can plug in the phone while it is off and not get the warning start the phone back up.
    hey Darxus, which one did you buy? CRC 2-26 or the contact cleaner?
    Oof, sorry I managed to be unclear. CRC QD contact cleaner. Edited.
    So, yesterday I cleaned the usb port out with contact cleaner. This initially seemed to fix my problem: when I powered on my phone I did not get the moisture warning so I plugged in the charger and it fast charged, but only for about 15 minutes before giving me the warning again. It would toggle between charging and not charging so I unplugged the charger and set the phone aside.

After a couple hours I tried charging again and it fully fast-charged. So I thought maybe there was really something to this. I re-did the cleaning process again last night, just to make sure I am doing the best job I can, and did not attempt to charge overnight so that the solvent could continue to do its job. So far this morning it is still fine and it fully quick-charged again.

A permanent fix? I hope so. It's still way too early to be sure. Cleaning the port seemed to me the obvious answer whenever I heard about someone else having this problem, and it was my first thought when I started having it. But we all thought we had cleaned out the port and it didn't help. What if we're just not doing a good enough job?

For anyone with this problem, it can't hurt to try some CRC 2-26. Its description is "Plastic safe lubricant, penetrant and corrosion inhibitor that helps prevent electrical malfunctions caused by water penetration, humidity, condensation or corrosion". Maybe use the CRC QD contact cleaner first because the 2-26 is technically not really a cleaner. They are inexpensive.I just picked the 2-26 because they had it at Home Depot - about $3 for the 5 oz can that will last me forever (the QD is about the same). If I have to do this every few months, no big deal.

Just don't try to spray it directly into the port. You will make a huge oily mess. Figure out some kind of applicator. I ended up stuffing saturated paper towel on each side of the port and rubbing it around with a thin toothpick.