• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG G6 Moisture Detection Fix!!

Search This thread

Darshanprasad

Aug 14, 2019
This is how i fixed the moisture notification issue

This is not a bug or malfunction. I faced the same issue 2 days back and this is how i fixed it. When you travel from cold to warm area its possible that the air inside your waterproof phone could gets condensed. With this notification its trying to alert the moisture locked inside the phone ans not just on the usb port. Mositure locked inside the phone could short circuit ans even blow up the phone hence lg has this safety feature. Thia is an issue with most waterproof phones. To solve i did this.

Remove your sim card slot..thats the only way out for moisture once you dry it up. Get a hand drier and force the air on all the edges including the sim slot..then appply the same over the screen and over the back of the phone. Dont over heat. Be patient. After doing this i was able to charge. Next morning faced the same issue. Could be coz thr trapped air got condensed again that failed to escape post heating up. Used hair dryer again and its fixed. I no longer face the issue.. Its an awesome safety feature by lg. You have an awesome phone that values your safety. Be proud of it.

jshames

Jun 9, 2015
Rehovot
I had the issue for one day, went into the maintenance settings to disable to moisture detection. Then the phone charged intermittently for a day then the problem disappeared entirely, no problem for a month now.
Can't say what the cause really was, just glad that whatever it was went away.

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
I had the moisture detection issue the other day. I turned my phone off and let it sit in my car for a few hours during a sunny afternoon . The sun dried out the moisture in my phone and it's back to normal.

Sent from my LGUS997 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

G

GuestD1073

I had this issue. My back glass got cracked and i assumed moisture gets in via there. I tried flipping the charge cable so that the smooth side was facing up and that worked for a while until i replaced my charge cable and it was good on both sides. Before that, i removed my sim tray and left the phone in rice overnight and cleaned the usb port with methylated spirit and a toothpick. I'm not sure.what fixed it.but thats what i did.

Nb: any one of you guys ever decaled your phone or replaced the back screen and retained waterproofing?

ubermanr

Jul 14, 2016
I have been dabbling with this moisture issue for quite a while on my g6

But thankfully i found a trick to atleast have normal charging if not fast charging...the trick is first plug your charger then as soon as you get the moisture error unplug it and plug it immediately and there ya go...
P.s if you do this trick and you still get the error you weren't fast enough also if you were very fast and it still didnt work then either port is bad or you actually have moisture or debris in your port

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I had this issue. My back glass got cracked and i assumed moisture gets in via there. I tried flipping the charge cable so that the smooth side was facing up and that worked for a while until i replaced my charge cable and it was good on both sides. Before that, i removed my sim tray and left the phone in rice overnight and cleaned the usb port with methylated spirit and a toothpick. I'm not sure.what fixed it.but thats what i did.

Nb: any one of you guys ever decaled your phone or replaced the back screen and retained waterproofing?
Once you open your phone up the waterproofing gets damaged all you can do to fix that is get the lg proprietary waterproofing compound/adhesive or get a aftermarket one but generally no shop helps you retain the waterproofing.....
P.s if its just the back glass panel that is replaced without opening the phone or without changing the whole back apparatus your waterproofing should be just fine

Csharpener

Sep 29, 2019
What worke for me

What worked for me (and is not my phone its the one of my gf) , hmmm as any dev i closed the machine.....Then i used a new cable plugged into my pc (phone still closed) and let it be, its charging without prompt of any kind.

For us the problem started when she got out with the phone in a moistured day.
I wish it help some and you as well.

METLHOUND

Jan 7, 2019
Update and reply on waterproofing

Earlier i posted that i had some success with disabling the moisture detect sensor, and now giving an update on my situation, my phone seems to charge and work perfectly fine.
All i did was replace the type c connector insinde the phone. If you have some experience with taking apart phones or electronics this isn't too bad. I followed the guides on ifixit and they are pretty clear on how to get into the phone.
If you plan on doing this yourself the connector i found from a somewhat good seller on ebay was £5-6. Some tips not included in the guide are that you shouldnt pry the rear glass panel too much or it will crack, so if you plan on reusing the panel use like a credit card or a guitar pick to get passed the adhesive, as there is some adhesive in the middle of the panel as well. I cracked my rear panel when i originally went investigating so now i need to get a new panel for around £10 and spend some more time if i want it waterproof. Otherwise it still works. You also dont need to remove the battery as the guide suggests, and the small plastic panel holding the connector is removeable and needs a little more force than you think you need for it to pop out. Also dont bother trying without a heat gun. I also made sure to re-enable the moisture detect sensor in the hidden menu to not get a false positive.

This was originally my brothers phone but since this issue he 'upgraded' to an iphone. We couldnt get it warrantied because he had a small crack on the top left of the screen that didnt need to be replaced as it didnt affect anything, and lg claimed that to get into the phone the screen had to be removed... they also quoted over £150 for the screen repair which a 3rd party company would do anyway and also couldnt guarantee that they could fix the moisture issue...
Anyway ive now got a cheap upgrade from my g5!
Hope this helps.

Hi, sorry for the obnoxious quotes, still new here, thought id give an update on my fix and a reply on waterproofing.

I ended up replacing the rear panel because it shattered whilst i was replacing the typre c connector. The new type c connector is working perfectly, and fixed any and all issues, and is going over half a year stong.

The oem and aftermarket rear panels seem to have a flexible plastic film or lining on the inside of the 'tempered glass' plastic panel which i assume contributes to the weatherproofing. My original panel that got completely shattered didnt even break through that part, so unless theres a hole in the back i dont think water is getting through it.

I did however replace the rear panel at the time and used b-7000 glue in a grey tube off amazon . It works absolutely fine and imo works better than pre-glued panels or strips. I did have to reinstall it as the fingerprint button wasnt lined up inside. In terms of longevity i cycle almost daily with it in my pocket and use it in bad weather, so rain and sweat have not been a problem. Even after i cracked the screen again shortly after the repair... and cracked the rear panel in 2 seperate places... and the camera lens...

freejack52

Jan 28, 2020
I have the same problem with my phone keeps telling me moisture, has not been wet and its ****en annoying, have cleaned it no dirt showing checked with a torch. I would not buy another LG its meant to be water proof funny ha ha. I would not recommend anyone to buy one either,

Sep 15, 2010
I have the same problem with my phone keeps telling me moisture, has not been wet and its ****en annoying, have cleaned it no dirt showing checked with a torch. I would not buy another LG its meant to be water proof funny ha ha. I would not recommend anyone to buy one either,

I strongly suggest keeping torches away from the phone. Maybe a hairdryer on mild setting or leaving it in rice overnight.

theenlightened1

Dec 25, 2012
Peshawar
Nothing was working for me.. I even factory reset it.. reflashed the FW using LGUP.. still the same error.. port was clean but error was showing.. what fixed mine was remove the sim tray and rebooting.. now its fast charging with no sim cards... go figure!!

Will let it charge to 100% and then run a complete battery of tests by connecting to computer and other chargers... this is SO annoying...

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

I strongly suggest keeping torches away from the phone. Maybe a hairdryer on mild setting or leaving it in rice overnight.

By "torch" I think he meant a flashlight... at least I hope that is what it meant..

Reactions: LeeTG3

damod11

Oct 16, 2017
LG G6
Moto G30
Hi. I think since the pie update, in the hidden menu setting the disable moisture detection toggle returns a fail. so i cant even turn it off. Anyone else getting this ? Also did anyone find a fully working fix yet ? Im going mad here..... Help
G6 870 euro

badcrcs

Jul 9, 2018
I have the 997 and had this moisture issue about a year ago and it went away in a couple days. Now within weeks of my 2 year warranty expiring it came back and hasn't went away for weeks. I've only been able to charge wirelessly. I was able to charge once just by changing from a 2.4 amp port on my car's cig adapter to the regular amp port (not sure what amp that is, probably 1 amp) and that worked...once. I was able to get into the service menu as described here and disable moisture detection and it does charge with the cable now. I always have my phone in either the side pocket on my pants or usually zipped up in the front phone pocket on my jacket and it's rarely been wet...by wet i mean a few drops of rain occasionally, but none of those times coincided with this moisture warning. After reading this whole thread the only thing that makes sense is moisture condensed inside the phone or a defective port. I've cleaned my port with isopropyl alcohol several times and I don't see anything in the port. I've tried most of the fixes except the heat gun/hair dryer, which I don't really want to do as I don't think it's good to heat up your whole phone on purpose. I might try removing the sim leaving it in a warm place and see if that fixes it without having to disable the moisture detection.

xollen

Aug 8, 2012
Having this issue for years now, tried almost everting only found only one solution solution.
Installed costum recovery, booting in that recovery while plugged in then only its charging. any suggestion? tried cleaning, drying, all kind of roms, taking sim slot off.

badcrcs

Jul 9, 2018
Having this issue for years now, tried almost everting only found only one solution solution.
Installed costum recovery, booting in that recovery while plugged in then only its charging. any suggestion? tried cleaning, drying, all kind of roms, taking sim slot off.

Good luck, ever since I posted my problem in January I've had it come back 2-3 times. It happened again last month and it's not going away. Not one of the times was my phone wet. Usually I can disable the moisture detection and get it to charge by plugging in USB repeatedly and after 4-10 attempts it will charge. I have three cords and now I'm thinking the cord contacts might be the problem because they never seem to charge one direction, but when I flip them they charge after several attempts. A few times I couldn't get it to charge at all with the cord, so I turned the phone off then plugged in the cord and the moisture icon comes up on the black screen, but if I unplugged the cord before the warning icon came up and plugged it in real quick again it would charge. The easiest thing I found is just to wireless charge, but that's a pain in the car. Mine doesn't come up with the moisture warning with the moisture detection disabled, until I try to charge with a cord.

xollen

Aug 8, 2012
Screenshot_20211017-132003.jpg
this found yesterday this magisk module, enabling it charges fine but only 75, the rest in recovery 😂, lg g6 is my secondery phone using for car GPS, still better then not charging at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ladies and gentleman,

For too long i have had this moisture detection problem. I have read "how to fix it" threads forever and to be honest. They don't work. I've disabled the moisture detect setting, soft reset my phone, cleaned my usb c port thousanda of times and nothing seems to work. However! I have the cure for good (until lg send us an update that eliminates this problem for us)

To fix this problem for good here it is! (well until you restart your phone you'll have to re do this step)

Go into your settings > apps and notifications > apps info > click the 3 dots top right corner > click show system > scroll all way to lg system server > click on it and then click force stop!

I really do hope this works for a lot if not all of you because it has rescued me from hell!

You are welcome
    Working fix

assuming you have some battery left, type *#546368#*870# with the last 3 digits being your phone model no. into the dial pad, this will access the hidden menu.
    go into svc menu, moisture detect setting, then disable it. phone will restart.
    obviously youre disabling a sensor, so at your own risk.
    for me the error still pops up at start up and repeatadely every so often but if you replug the phone, it will charge no problem. adjust notifiction settings to hide the error.
    am working on a fix to remove the error notifiction. thought id share as it worked for me, not perfect but works.

edit;
    used a h870 g6 and now has all the latest updates but hadnt been updated for a year before that. i read somewhere that the hidden menu may be disabled for american and other variants of the g6, but worth a try.
    also force stopping lg system server after doing the above after each time the phone starts up seems to remove the error entirely.

if anyone knows what lg system server actually is and what it does please let me know 'cos i just want rid of it at this point.
    there is a cure for this problem.

The sensor that controls the moisture detection on the USB port does not just detect moisture but any substance that is on or near or inside the area of the USB C connector.

Solution:
    1: get a magnifying lens of some kind and a good flashlight. Shut off your phone!!!
    2: look inside the USB C connector all around it I do not mean just the pins I mean the whole area of the connector.
    3: remove any foreign substance. The bottom of the USB C connector should be a uniform(same) color all around the base of the pins. If it is not the same color there is a foreign substance and it needs to be cleaned thoroughly. Tools recommended a very fine tip pair of PC repair style tweezers, a can of compressed air, a small alcohol wipe(Not Cotton balls or anything else).
    I actually found a small particle of some kind stuck at the bottom of my USB C port I scraped it away and then had to carefully scrape around the pins to remove it all and the compressed air did not do it by itself nor did any other cleaning method it was a hard substance.
    *DO NOT SCRAPE THE PINS WITH THE TWEEZERS
    Method: First remove any hard substance or as much of anything that is inside the connector area using the tweezers and canned air. Use the Alcohol wipe with the tweezers and wipe around the bottom and the pins(yes the pins). Finally use the canned air again to remove anything else that the wipe may have dislodged. While the phone is off plug the charging cable in and check to see if you get the moisture warning.
    If warning persists be sure to use the compressed air on the ports right next to the USB port, pull out the Sim/SD tray and blast it with compressed air as well try plugging it in again.
    Never apply a heat source directly or indirectly to the cover of the phone either the screen or the back as extreme heat can damage the phone and will void the warranty and usually will not help the situation as that kind of heat will evaporate the moisture which will condense again after the heat cools. it will be able to be seen once the phone is taken apart. If you happen to drop a phone into water either partially or fully submerged shut the phone down immediately(remove the battery if you can) get a plastic container with a snap/sealable lid. Put a good layer of white dry rice inside it and then lay the phone into the layer of rice and seal the container. Wait at least 12 hours before trying to start the phone.
    When you can plug in the phone while it is off and not get the warning start the phone back up.
    hey Darxus, which one did you buy? CRC 2-26 or the contact cleaner?
    Oof, sorry I managed to be unclear. CRC QD contact cleaner. Edited.
    So, yesterday I cleaned the usb port out with contact cleaner. This initially seemed to fix my problem: when I powered on my phone I did not get the moisture warning so I plugged in the charger and it fast charged, but only for about 15 minutes before giving me the warning again. It would toggle between charging and not charging so I unplugged the charger and set the phone aside.

After a couple hours I tried charging again and it fully fast-charged. So I thought maybe there was really something to this. I re-did the cleaning process again last night, just to make sure I am doing the best job I can, and did not attempt to charge overnight so that the solvent could continue to do its job. So far this morning it is still fine and it fully quick-charged again.

A permanent fix? I hope so. It's still way too early to be sure. Cleaning the port seemed to me the obvious answer whenever I heard about someone else having this problem, and it was my first thought when I started having it. But we all thought we had cleaned out the port and it didn't help. What if we're just not doing a good enough job?

For anyone with this problem, it can't hurt to try some CRC 2-26. Its description is "Plastic safe lubricant, penetrant and corrosion inhibitor that helps prevent electrical malfunctions caused by water penetration, humidity, condensation or corrosion". Maybe use the CRC QD contact cleaner first because the 2-26 is technically not really a cleaner. They are inexpensive.I just picked the 2-26 because they had it at Home Depot - about $3 for the 5 oz can that will last me forever (the QD is about the same). If I have to do this every few months, no big deal.

Just don't try to spray it directly into the port. You will make a huge oily mess. Figure out some kind of applicator. I ended up stuffing saturated paper towel on each side of the port and rubbing it around with a thin toothpick.