LG G8 in hand. Here's what's happening so far

Search This thread

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
Hey I have a Verizon retail unit I'm reviewing and figured I start a thread about it with what I'm experiencing as I go.

I did an unboxing and first look comparing it to the V40 and the Pixel 3. https://youtu.be/fFcwGiNcJkw

First I must say I like that LG launched this with Android Pie, V40 still waiting. Also it's great to have a wide angle camera back. I stopped using the v40 since it did not have pie and could not set it up from my daily pixel 3 because of it.

I have popped a Verizon sim in so real world testing has started. I will be taking it down to a NASA launch this week so will be taking LOTS of photos and videos with it over the next week. Be sure to follow me @jerflash on Instagram and Twitter for first look at photos.

Let me know if you have any questions and take a look at my other videos ?

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
1st, could you please show in video if one can turn on "Pie Andriod gestures" on G8 in settings? Or are they totally disabled from kernel and not supported ? That'll be weird 'cause w/o gestures G8 is DOA

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
1st, could you please show in video if one can turn on "Pie Andriod gestures" on G8 in settings? Or are they totally disabled from kernel and not supported ? That'll be weird 'cause w/o gestures G8 is DOA
The Android Pie gestures are indeed present. When I used my Pixel 3 to fully setup the device they turned on automatically bit you can enable them in settings.

The pill looks a bit different from the one on the Pixel but works the same. The animation is a bit jank when swiping up from the pill to get resents. I suspect they don't think many people will turn it on. Screenshot_20190414-072437.jpgScreenshot_20190414-072454.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Negan

Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Staff member
The Android Pie gestures are indeed present. When I used my Pixel 3 to fully setup the device they turned on automatically bit you can enable them in settings.

The pill looks a bit different from the one on the Pixel but works the same. The animation is a bit jank when swiping up from the pill to get resents. I suspect they don't think many people will turn it on.

Not sure if you knew this but you don't have to even swipe up. You can just swipe sideways on the pill for recents which I find very quick.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Nice video. I'll have to get you to try twilight when it's ready and maybe you could review it as well!

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
Not sure if you knew this but you don't have to even swipe up. You can just swipe sideways on the pill for recents which I find very quick.

Yes this does work quicker than the pull-up but not quite as intuitive for me. I use it on the pixel occasionally.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Nice video. I'll have to get you to try twilight when it's ready and maybe you could review it as well!

Oh I did not know you were a themer, I have been looking for a good G8 theme. I dont really like the bring white everywhere so getting something darker would be great. Let me know when you are done with it

Last edited:

Negan

Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Staff member
Oh I did not know you were a themer, I have been looking for a good G8 theme. I dont really like the bring white everywhere so getting something darker would be great. Let me know when you are done with it

Will do. I have a thread in the themes and apps section. Right now I have pixel Experience released and by end of week i hope to have the dark version done and then twilight which is my personal favorite

saddler2kx

Jan 18, 2010
Brooklyn
Love the LG G8 that I’ve purchased from T-Mobile though I have major issues that might make me trade it in for a Oneplus 7 (if T-Mobile sells it).

work on improving face ID and hand ID for better security features
use TOF camera to create excellent selfies
update the Lg skin already to something more modern UI
full screen gestures as an option (pill gestures are terrible)
perfect night mode in the camera app
Finally, to make a difference join the google android Q beta and be first since both of your phones were out early.

With these problems, if the one plus 7 comes with the 48 mega pixel Sony sensor for binning support, 6.2 – 6.4 inches display and how fast they do updates will make me trade in LG G8.

psawjack

Apr 30, 2011
DC
Google Pixel 5
OnePlus 9 Pro
Love the LG G8 that I’ve purchased from T-Mobile though I have major issues that might make me trade it in for a Oneplus 7 (if T-Mobile sells it).

work on improving face ID and hand ID for better security features

use TOF camera to create excellent selfies

update the Lg skin already to something more modern UI

full screen gestures as an option (pill gestures are terrible)

perfect night mode in the camera app

Finally, to make a difference join the google android Q beta and be first since both of your phones were out early.

With these problems, if the one plus 7 comes with the 48 mega pixel Sony sensor for binning support, 6.2 – 6.4 inches display and how fast they do updates will make me trade in LG G8.
With what you describe here it sounds like you are more of a Pixel/1plus type of person. Hopefully the 7 comes out for you and you can move on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey I have a Verizon retail unit I'm reviewing and figured I start a thread about it with what I'm experiencing as I go.

I did an unboxing and first look comparing it to the V40 and the Pixel 3. https://youtu.be/fFcwGiNcJkw

First I must say I like that LG launched this with Android Pie, V40 still waiting. Also it's great to have a wide angle camera back. I stopped using the v40 since it did not have pie and could not set it up from my daily pixel 3 because of it.

I have popped a Verizon sim in so real world testing has started. I will be taking it down to a NASA launch this week so will be taking LOTS of photos and videos with it over the next week. Be sure to follow me @jerflash on Instagram and Twitter for first look at photos.

Let me know if you have any questions and take a look at my other videos ?
    Can you please share screenshot of camera details using app called hw device info?
    Here ya go. Screenshot_20190426-180446.jpegScreenshot_20190426-180442.jpeg

Will do. I have a thread in the themes and apps section. Right now I have pixel Experience released and by end of week i hope to have the dark version done and then twilight which is my personal favorite

The pill looks a bit different from the one on the Pixel but works the same. The animation is a bit jank when swiping up from the pill to get resents. I suspect they don't think many people will turn it on. Screenshot_20190414-072437.jpgScreenshot_20190414-072454.jpg

Hey everyone I went the a NASA launch and to the NY auto show and used this phone for my Instagram stories. Check it out to see how the g8 did.

https://www.instagram.com/jerflash