LG G8 in hand. Here's what's happening so far

Search This thread

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
Will do. I have a thread in the themes and apps section. Right now I have pixel Experience released and by end of week i hope to have the dark version done and then twilight which is my personal favorite

hey dude did you ever finish any of those dark themes?

Wanted to give them a try before i finish the review

thanks!

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
i'm thinking of getting this, last LG phone i had was the G4 and the camera was the best thing i had ever seen on a phone. the Pro mode was outstanding. does this camera software have the same stuff? adjust shutter speed, iso, white balance, etc? iirc the shutter speed on the G4 would go up to 30 minutes

Reactions: SantinoInc

jerflash

Sep 10, 2010
NYC
i'm thinking of getting this, last LG phone i had was the G4 and the camera was the best thing i had ever seen on a phone. the Pro mode was outstanding. does this camera software have the same stuff? adjust shutter speed, iso, white balance, etc? iirc the shutter speed on the G4 would go up to 30 minutes
Ya the g4 had a killer Pro mode and it is still here on the g8. Works well. I will have my full review up soon!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Septembersrain

Mar 10, 2011
San Antonio
Just upgraded from the V30+ myself. I really like how the screen looks. I did like my V30+ but it had a really terrible screen to look at during the night and with comfort view. I cycled through 3 units to find one bearable. The G8, aside from the slippery body, is a really great device.

Of course I wasn't planning on upgrading but T-Mobile offered $310 trade in and the device was seeming to run slowly. Then one tiny black, what I'd assume was a dead spot, showed up.

Instead of the hassle of trying a warranty claim, figured it was time to move on. That tiny dot wasn't noticeable to anyone but me. So I said bye to it and an enjoying the G8.

Sent from my LG-G8 using Tapatalk Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudzo

DrivenKeys

Sep 17, 2013
Just wanted to add props for the pro mode. Not only does it have all the tools you want, there is an awesome feature called "Graphy". When you tap the button, it automatically adjusts settings to a comfortable point, then shows you which controls will make the most difference to your shot. If you're trying to learn, it makes it easy and rewarding to gradually shift away from auto modes. I's also very helpful if you were shooting in pro last night, and want to quickly reset everything.

Samsung also has a robust pro mode, but I used it a lot less than I wanted. Typically, the shot would be lost before I could adjust. Graphy lets me quickly start with auto, then tweak settings and get the shot before the subject has moved on.

Reactions: Sudzo

WiseManWhite

Mar 24, 2009
Akron
www.thetechtemple.com
Just upgraded from the V30+ myself. I really like how the screen looks. I did like my V30+ but it had a really terrible screen to look at during the night and with comfort view. I cycled through 3 units to find one bearable. The G8, aside from the slippery body, is a really great device.

Of course I wasn't planning on upgrading but T-Mobile offered $310 trade in and the device was seeming to run slowly. Then one tiny black, what I'd assume was a dead spot, showed up.

Instead of the hassle of trying a warranty claim, figured it was time to move on. That tiny dot wasn't noticeable to anyone but me. So I said bye to it and an enjoying the G8.

That $310 trade-in offer was ridiculous. I still can't believe it was real. I'm finding that the G8 had all of the things I liked about the v30, and then some! The only bad part was having to wait for T-Mobile to ship me the Carmine Red one lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Septembersrain

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey I have a Verizon retail unit I'm reviewing and figured I start a thread about it with what I'm experiencing as I go.

I did an unboxing and first look comparing it to the V40 and the Pixel 3. https://youtu.be/fFcwGiNcJkw

First I must say I like that LG launched this with Android Pie, V40 still waiting. Also it's great to have a wide angle camera back. I stopped using the v40 since it did not have pie and could not set it up from my daily pixel 3 because of it.

I have popped a Verizon sim in so real world testing has started. I will be taking it down to a NASA launch this week so will be taking LOTS of photos and videos with it over the next week. Be sure to follow me @jerflash on Instagram and Twitter for first look at photos.

Let me know if you have any questions and take a look at my other videos ?
    Can you please share screenshot of camera details using app called hw device info?
    Here ya go. Screenshot_20190426-180446.jpegScreenshot_20190426-180442.jpeg

Oh I did not know you were a themer, I have been looking for a good G8 theme. I dont really like the bring white everywhere so getting something darker would be great. Let me know when you are done with it

Will do. I have a thread in the themes and apps section. Right now I have pixel Experience released and by end of week i hope to have the dark version done and then twilight which is my personal favorite
    1st, could you please show in video if one can turn on "Pie Andriod gestures" on G8 in settings? Or are they totally disabled from kernel and not supported ? That'll be weird 'cause w/o gestures G8 is DOA
    The Android Pie gestures are indeed present. When I used my Pixel 3 to fully setup the device they turned on automatically bit you can enable them in settings.

The pill looks a bit different from the one on the Pixel but works the same. The animation is a bit jank when swiping up from the pill to get resents. I suspect they don't think many people will turn it on. Screenshot_20190414-072437.jpgScreenshot_20190414-072454.jpg

Hey everyone I went the a NASA launch and to the NY auto show and used this phone for my Instagram stories. Check it out to see how the g8 did.

https://www.instagram.com/jerflash