LG H931 AT&T Stock firmware

Search This thread

macdav07

Apr 7, 2019
I followed the Frankenstein method to convert from H931 to US998. But now I want to revert. Does anyone know where I could download the firmware for the V30 AT&T model h931? If not, is there a way to revert it back to H931 without downloading the firmware?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I'm facing the same situation, so far, no joy.

It's unfortunate, but AT&T and I think Sprint also, make a point of NOT allowing someone to download the firmware. Spent most of yesterday searching for possible solutions... it's not looking good.

Maybe others might comment with more hope?

Cheers

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm facing the same situation, so far, no joy.

It's unfortunate, but AT&T and I think Sprint also, make a point of NOT allowing someone to download the firmware. Spent most of yesterday searching for possible solutions... it's not looking good.

Maybe others might comment with more hope?

Cheers
Bootloader Unlock, install TWRP, root and you can install developer TWRP-flashable zip (ROM) of AT&T firmware.

Found down in the Dev ROM section.

LG V30 AT&T H931-20H ROM
https://xdaforums.com/lg-v30/development/lg-v30-att-h931-20f-rom-t3872926

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I followed the Frankenstein method to convert from H931 to US998. But now I want to revert. Does anyone know where I could download the firmware for the V30 AT&T model h931? If not, is there a way to revert it back to H931 without downloading the firmware?

Are you an AT&T customer?

The ONLY reason you would want AT&T firmware on a V30 is if you're an AT&T customer. Even then, if you want root, you have to temporarily convert to US998 to unlock bootloader, install TWRP and root.

Then ONLY ONLY ONLY if you're an AT&T customer, if you wish you can re-install AT&T firmware via the TWRP flashable zip above.

Otherwise, for H931 best to stay on US998 firmware if you don't want AOSP/Lineage custom ROMs.

(I'm on AT&T, and I'm still on US998 firmware. But I could flash that AT&T firmware zip above, if I wanted.)

For people who are NOT AT&T customers, then you NEVER want the V30 AT&T H931 firmware. US998 is better.

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Bootloader Unlock, install TWRP, root and you can install developer TWRP-flashable zip (ROM) of AT&T firmware.

Found down in the Dev ROM section.

https://xdaforums.com/lg-v30/development/lg-v30-att-h931-20f-rom-t3872926

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Are you an AT&T customer?

The ONLY reason you would want AT&T firmware on a V30 is if you're an AT&T customer. Even then, if you want root, you have to temporarily convert to US998 to unlock bootloader, install TWRP and root.

Then ONLY ONLY ONLY if you're an AT&T customer, if you wish you can re-install AT&T firmware via the TWRP flashable zip above.

Otherwise, stay on US998 firmware.

(I'm on AT&T, and I'm still on US998 firmware. But I could flash that AT&T firmware zip above, if I wanted.)

For people who are NOT AT&T customers, you do NOT want the V30 AT&T firmware. US998 is better.

There's another reason one might want AT&T firmware. If they wanted to sell the device :)

Cheers

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
There's another reason one might want AT&T firmware. If they wanted to sell the device :)

Cheers

Not really. Carrier unlocked US998 will sell much faster than H931.

Same reason most LS998 are already converted to US998 by eBay dealers. ;)

US998 is the golden child of the North American V30 phones. Even has CDMA and fastboot flash commands.

If it's US998 it's guaranteed carrier unlocked, whereas H931 you have to take the seller's word for it. I'm an AT&T customer and I would never buy an H931... Whereas I've bought several US998 or LS998 and converted them to US998.

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
No. Carrier unlocked US998 will sell much faster than H931.

Same reason most LS998 are already converted to US998 by eBay dealers. ;)

US998 is the golden child of the North American V30 phones. Even has CDMA and fastboot flash commands.

If it's US998 it's guaranteed carrier unlocked, whereas H931 you have to take the seller's word for it. I'm an AT&T customer and I would never buy an H931... Whereas I've bought several US998 or LS998 and converted them to US998.

On eBay it might be sellable as you describe. But not on swappa, I don't think they even have a listing for that. If you put it in the u.s. 998 category, they want it to be a us998.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
On eBay it might be sellable as you describe. But not on swappa, I don't think they even have a listing for that. If you put it in the u.s. 998 category, they want it to be a us998.

Then don't worry about Swappa. ;) Just sell it on eBay...

No one is going to convert back to stock H931 firmware and re-lock bootloader without something like Octopus box (which dealers have).

You also can't convert former Sprint LS998 back to LS998 with just LGUP. No one cares.

Whereas people NEED to convert H931 to US998 to
And with bootloader unlock and root, while you CAN convert former H931 back to H931 firmware, you cannot relock bootloader on H931 firmware (no fastboot flash commands).

If you sell on Swappa that way, then you have to tell them the while it has H931 firmware, the bootloader is unlocked, TWRP installed, and you'll have to disclose that. Buyers may actually WANT it that way! Saves them time and trouble. (Swappa is affiliated with XDA.) I've never re-locked bootloader to sell my phones (even on eBay), and my stuff always sells.

Or relock bootloader, sell as US998 on eBay with no problem.

Last edited:

macdav07

Apr 7, 2019
I bought the V30 H931 off eBay and cross flashed it to US998. Within hours after flashing, I started to notice that my screen had bad LED uniformity issues (even though the seller listed it as near mint). So now I want to return it and I am worried the flashing voided the seller warranty.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I bought the V30 H931 off eBay and cross flashed it to US998. Within hours after flashing, I started to notice that my screen had bad LED uniformity issues (even though the seller listed it as near mint). So now I want to return it and I am worried the flashing voided the seller warranty.

Yeah, I think that's a serious issue. I don't know if they'll accept it, but guess it's worth a try to return...

The lg v30, as @ChazzMatt is pointing out, does have some idiosyncrasies. Most, I know for me anyway, always set it back to 'stock' before selling. It's just too much hassle otherwise.

But, (most of) the v30 versions (I'm learning) that's not possible. Which is good and bad. Bad in that many (most I'd say) buyers just don't understand technical stuff well enough to deal with anything but stock. And also bad in your situation macdav.

In my situation, I re checked swappa (have sold phones on ebay also, just more luck on swappa), and they do have some h931 listed and indicated 'unlocked' (which I think has to be 998). So I've relocked and lgup to 20H - and will describe as they do on ebay: 'works with any carrier that requires a sim, but for sprint it has to already be provisioned'.

It's a great device, tremendous value for money, etc. So no one is being ripped off or anything.

Good luck macdav, let us know how it works out.

Cheers

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Most, I know for me anyway, always set it back to 'stock' before selling. It's just too much hassle otherwise.

But, (most of) the v30 versions (I'm learning) that's not possible. Which is good and bad. Bad in that many (most I'd say) buyers just don't understand technical stuff well enough to deal with anything but stock.

:confused: The only two V30 phones you can't return to stock -- with locked bootloader -- are the only two which don't have public KDZ: Sprint LS998 and AT&T H931. Every other V30/V30+/V30S on the planet you can relock bootloader and flash back to stock with LGUP.

For those two -- H931 and LS998 -- best to leave on US998 after relocking the bootloader. And it's not an issue to sell them them on eBay, as most time that is what people want in the the first place (debloated, carrier unlocked firmware).

In my situation, I re checked swappa (have sold phones on ebay also, just more luck on swappa), and they do have some h931 listed and indicated 'unlocked' (which I think has to be 998).
No, those are carrier unlocked H931, not bootloader unlocked. Because normally AT&T H931 is SIM card locked to AT&T. Those "unlocked" H931 have had codes inputted so they are no longer carrier locked to AT&T.

HOWEVER, what they don't tell you on Swappa or eBay is you STILL have to convert to US998 if you want updates for that "carrier unlocked" H931 phone, unless you're an AT&T customer. And most people buying a carrier unlocked H931 are probably NOT AT&T customers.

Thus those buyers then come here to find out why they can't get updates. Because they bought a carrier unlocked H931 and you can't get updates without an AT&T SIM card. So, they have to convert to US998 -- so they can get KDZ updates via LGUP. Plus, since they are not AT&T customers they don't need all the AT&T bloatware either. ;)

I've answered that question half a dozen times in the past week: "Why isn't my H931 getting updates?" Because you have to convert to US998, and update via LGUP...

So I've relocked and lgup to 20H - and will describe as they do on ebay: 'works with any carrier that requires a sim, but for sprint it has to already be provisioned'.
This paragraph is a little confusing.

1) You relocked what and used what KDZ? What 20H? US998 20H? If so, that's fine.

2) Wait, Sprint? You have an LS998? I thought you had H931? Sprint users have to have native LS998. Sprint users can NEVER use an H931. Their phone has to be native LS998. While they also convert to US998, once bootloader unlocked and rooted, they can return to LS998 via TWRP flashable zip. But Sprint users can NEVER active a V30/V30+ that was not first an LS998. Sprint checks IMEI.

Then, to sell the phone, they have to convert back to US998 to re-lock bootloader and they would sell as US998. I wouldn't mention Sprint in the listing whatsoever.

3) Also why are you selling your phone?

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
The only two V30 phones you can't return to stock, with locked bootloader are the two which don't have public KDZ -- LS998 and H931. Every other one to can relock bootloader and flash back to stock with LGUP.

For those two, you have to leave on US998. And it's not an issue to sell them them on eBay as most time that is what people want in the the first place.

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

No, those are carrier unlocked H931. Because normally H931 is SIM card locked to AT&T.

What they don't tell you on Swappa is you STILL have to convert to US998 if you want updates for that "carrier unlocked" H931 phone unless you're an AT&T customer.

You relocked what and used what KDZ? What 20H? Are you saying you used your LGUP dump to go back to H931 20H?

Wait, Sprint? You have an LS998? I thought you had H931? Sprint users have to have native LS998.

This paragraph is very confusing. Also why are you selling your phone?

" you STILL have to convert to US998 if you want updates"... well I see that as being up to the buyer, I'd prefer to sell it as stock if I could, and avoid any issues they may have. alas.

"those are carrier unlocked H931", I was wondering if that was the case. It seems on ebay they don't specify and some of them are 'unlocked' because they have been converted to us998? It's confusing. I've seen at&t and t-mo devices listed as 'at&t only' and 't-mo' only. Well I'll have to be sure to specify it's been converted to us998.

"You relocked what and used what KDZ?" Oy Vey ;) I guess that wasn't clear, I went to us998 20H (10a - relocked bootloader, then did numerous upgrades and eventually to 20H).

"Are you saying you used your LGUP dump to go back to H931 20H", no, but is that possible? I have "factory" 931 in a zip, they are all img format, can lgup use those to go to h931? That would be good.

"Wait, Sprint? You have an LS998? I thought you had H931? Sprint users have to have native LS998. This paragraph is very confusing. Also why are you selling your phone?" It's complicated... no! it's not! I'm kidding :) I have **3** V30 :) 2 are ls998 (originally) and the other is the H931. I initially got the h931 but decided to go with an ls998 because of possible issues with aosp roms. And because I liked the ls998 ease with aosp roms (the 3 diff ones I tried all booted even when they'd last had 20g on them). Then I liked that ls998 so much I found one on ebay that was described as 'exactly what you'd get from the Sprint store'. Got it and was mfg'd 6 mo ago. Brand new. OEM box. Serial numbers matched ;)

it's complicated - but fun ;) Cheers

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
"Are you saying you used your LGUP dump to go back to H931 20H",

no, but is that possible? I have "factory" 931 in a zip, they are all img format, can lgup use those to go to h931? That would be good.

"Wait, Sprint? You have an LS998? I thought you had H931? Sprint users have to have native LS998. This paragraph is very confusing. Also why are you selling your phone?"

It's complicated... no! it's not! I'm kidding :) I have **3** V30 :) 2 are ls998 (originally) and the other is the H931. I initially got the h931 but decided to go with an ls998 because of possible issues with aosp roms. And because I liked the ls998 ease with aosp roms (the 3 diff ones I tried all booted even when they'd last had 20g on them). Then I liked that ls998 so much I found one on ebay that was described as 'exactly what you'd get from the Sprint store'. Got it and was mfg'd 6 mo ago. Brand new. OEM box. Serial numbers matched ;)

OK, I understand. You are merely culling your V30 collection, not getting rid of it. ;) Yeah, I'm down to three, whereas I had 5 at one point. One was a former LS998 and suddenly the Qi wireless charging stopped working -- which we use every day. So, gave it to a friend who couldn't care less about Qi wireless charging. Otherwise was mint, converted US998 V30+. I wasn't going to sell it, so better to just give it to a friend who I know will never use that feature.

As for using the LGUP dump to restore back to stock, I think it's possible but I've never done it.

Reactions: AsItLies

0J1nn

Sep 14, 2018
Hey, I live in Canada and bought a refurbished H931 that I've been using for a few years. In an attempt to remove AT&T bloat and install firmware updates, I followed the instructions here and I now have a working "US998".

The only problem is, I seem to have a lot of trouble connecting to 4G/LTE now. I think it may be related to the US998 missing some bands that the H931 supported like 3G 1700 that my carrier uses (Fizz) (reference here) although I might be wrong (in which case if someone has any idea how to fix it, any help would be greatly appreciated).

Does anyone know if I could flash H933 firmware (found here) instead to fix that problem? Or should I follow the instructions to root in order to flash back the TWRP flashable H931 ROM?

I know this thread is kind of old but any help is welcome. @ChazzMatt maybe? You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this phone.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
You can flash to H933 using KDZ, but you have to do a reverse Frankenstein. Flash to H933 Nougat first, Master Reset, and then flash H933 Pie. Use Dev Patched LGUP with Partition DL mode (all partitions).

I have Oreo and Pie H933 KDZ threads but you'll have to find the H933 Nougat KDZ. I can't remember where it is right now. The LG Firmwares site has all that (it's not an LG official site, but a fan site that collects most of the firmware.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 0J1nn

0J1nn

Sep 14, 2018
Thank you so much! I already found the KDZs, just wanted to check if that process was feasible. Going to try this as soon as I can and post back here if it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Are you saying you used your LGUP dump to go back to H931 20H",

no, but is that possible? I have "factory" 931 in a zip, they are all img format, can lgup use those to go to h931? That would be good.

"Wait, Sprint? You have an LS998? I thought you had H931? Sprint users have to have native LS998. This paragraph is very confusing. Also why are you selling your phone?"

It's complicated... no! it's not! I'm kidding :) I have **3** V30 :) 2 are ls998 (originally) and the other is the H931. I initially got the h931 but decided to go with an ls998 because of possible issues with aosp roms. And because I liked the ls998 ease with aosp roms (the 3 diff ones I tried all booted even when they'd last had 20g on them). Then I liked that ls998 so much I found one on ebay that was described as 'exactly what you'd get from the Sprint store'. Got it and was mfg'd 6 mo ago. Brand new. OEM box. Serial numbers matched ;)

OK, I understand. You are merely culling your V30 collection, not getting rid of it. ;) Yeah, I'm down to three, whereas I had 5 at one point. One was a former LS998 and suddenly the Qi wireless charging stopped working -- which we use every day. So, gave it to a friend who couldn't care less about Qi wireless charging. Otherwise was mint, converted US998 V30+. I wasn't going to sell it, so better to just give it to a friend who I know will never use that feature.

As for using the LGUP dump to restore back to stock, I think it's possible but I've never done it.
    You can flash to H933 using KDZ, but you have to do a reverse Frankenstein. Flash to H933 Nougat first, Master Reset, and then flash H933 Pie. Use Dev Patched LGUP with Partition DL mode (all partitions).

I have Oreo and Pie H933 KDZ threads but you'll have to find the H933 Nougat KDZ. I can't remember where it is right now. The LG Firmwares site has all that (it's not an LG official site, but a fan site that collects most of the firmware.)