LG has decided to pull out of the smartphone business | news

Search This thread

theimpulson

Forum Moderator - Recognized Developer
Staff member
  • Hey guys! Please keep posts on the topic this thread was created. I noticed some personal posts above which are fine in my opinion but it seems not everyone who is participating in this thread appreciates it. If you would like to continue the personal discussion, please move it to another thread in the off-topic forum and keep this one the topic.

Regards,
    theimpulson

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
    Nov 30, 2010
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Hey guys! Please keep posts on the topic this thread was created. I noticed some personal posts above which are fine in my opinion but it seems not everyone who is participating in this thread appreciates it. If you would like to continue the personal discussion, please move it to another thread in the off-topic forum and keep this one the topic.

Regards,
    theimpulson

I apologize for off topic. You can remove my last reply but also please delete the post to which I replied

MOD EDIT: REMOVED PERSONAL SENSITIVE INFORMATION

Last edited by a moderator:
    I have mixed feelings towards LG in general but I'm surprised to hear LG suddenly won't be making phones anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they come back with a phone in the future.

I just started to appreciate the headphone jack because I've gotten into HD audio and LG has a good audio system with the quad dac and 3.5mm jack so of course, like most things I set my heart on, this vanishes.

It's a sad day for HD audio fans.

Overall, however I've had bad luck with LG and have had their products fail on me faster than I think they should have so I don't trust LG's quality. There was that 6 year old microwave that suddenly caught fire inside and I had to literally throw it outside, then there were three failed LG HBS Bluetooth headsets, 3 different generations of them, an LG G5 that suddenly went black with no signs of life, and hmmmm I really don't think LG sells any good products.

However I'm curious about the exceptions to this with the V30, etc.

Despite my concerns about LG, I was actually considering buying a new phone from them. One of the quad dac , headphone jack models.

The question is: Who will fill the gap left by LG? I hope it will be one of the Taiwanese makes like Asus. And, I hope that, whoever it is, that they will have a model with HD audio and a headphone jack.

I don't think those will completely disappear and I don't think LG's departure is permanent. You all know how this ridiculous top-down approach as a sole means of control ends up "working out."

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
    LG sold out is what happened.
    Screw LG, not buying anything LG ever again.
    Coming soon... exploding vehicles🤣
    They weren't making money on their phones so they dumped them and moved on to another venture hoping to be more successful at it. That's not selling out, that's business. Releasing a "new" iPhone every year with limited improvements is selling out. Because sheeple will be sheeple.

Reactions: BigCustomROMFan

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    They weren't making money on their phones so they dumped them and moved on to another venture hoping to be more successful at it. That's not selling out, that's business. Releasing a "new" iPhone every year with limited improvements is selling out. Because sheeple will be sheeple.
    Business welfare program🤣
    Living off our tax dollars now.

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
    Somewhere in Connecticut
    You aren't going to pry my LG OLED from my grip!

And the washer dryer in my previous house was an LG, and was excellent as well. Much better than the crappy Whirlpool Cabrio we got with this house.

Some companies make and market things well... LG was just bad at marketing phones... so be it... I don't blame them for leaving, because they couldn't figure it out. I don't like it, but it makes business sense...

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    You aren't going to pry my LG OLED from my grip!

And the washer dryer in my previous house was an LG, and was excellent as well. Much better than the crappy Whirlpool Cabrio we got with this house.

Some companies make and market things well... LG was just bad at marketing phones... so be it... I don't blame them for leaving, because they couldn't figure it out. I don't like it, but it makes business sense...
    Fact is LG doesn't care about its loyal smartphone customers because it's chump change. They hit the green jackpot, at least until the realization of the folly of all electric vehicles* with a limited electric power grid sinks in.

I don't feel sorry at all for LG. They're doing fine in the empire of the Globle Elite.

*electric cars are not green at all. About 40% of the electrical energy is lost in transmission; petro remains a more suitable energy source at least for the foreseeable future. The amount of energy used for commercial, farm and private vehicles (and fossil fuel heating) dwarfs the power grid output. Power grids even now don't have that much reserve capacity.
    What could go wrong? TFF.

Fact is LG doesn't care about its loyal smartphone customers because it's chump change. They hit the green jackpot, at least until the realization of the folly of all electric vehicles* with a limited electric power grid sinks in.

I don't feel sorry at all for LG. They're doing fine in the empire of the Globle Elite.

*electric cars are not green at all. About 40% of the electrical energy is lost in transmission; petro remains a more suitable energy source at least for the foreseeable future. The amount of energy used for commercial, farm and private vehicles (and fossil fuel heating) dwarfs the power grid output. Power grids even now don't have that much reserve capacity.
    What could go wrong? TFF.
    If graphene becomes a reality that might change but who knows but I think these people are a bit premature to say that ICE cars are completely dead though.

LG will probably come back with a phone soon enough. I'm totally surprised they won't keep making low budget phones. I spoke to a T-Mobile rep yesterday that feels LG wasn't promoting their products enough. They need to improve their quality, too.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
    Nov 30, 2010
    Atlanta, Georgia
    If graphene becomes a reality that might change but who knows but I think these people are a bit premature to say that ICE cars are completely dead though.

LG will probably come back with a phone soon enough. I'm totally surprised they won't keep making low budget phones. I spoke to a T-Mobile rep yesterday that feels LG wasn't promoting their products enough. They need to improve their quality, too.

They are quitting the phone business entirely. But they'll still be be making TVs, washing machines, etc.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020

The globalists want to destroy the middle class and ration power, heat, travel, everything to the none elite. Petrol is life and prosperity and will be for at least the next 50 years.
    It would take at least 2 decades plus to build the power generating capacity and infrastructure to support electric vehicles. Both solar and wind turbines are unreliable. Nuclear, coal and natural gas are the only viable, reliable options.
    It's a sick, expensive, unworkable joke they are shoving down our throats. The masses will pay for it with a lowered standard of living... and cold houses.

LG kept everything that was making money and added this guarenteed "green" income to it. In fact they just enlarged their carbon footprint exponentially by doing so. It takes a lot of energy and resources to manufacture Li batteries...🤣

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
    The globalists want to destroy the middle class and ration power, heat, travel, everything to the none elite. Petrol is life and prosperity and will be for at least the next 50 years.
    It would take at least 2 decades plus to build the power generating capacity and infrastructure to support electric vehicles. Both solar and wind turbines are unreliable. Nuclear, coal and natural gas are the only viable, reliable options.
    It's a sick, expensive, unworkable joke they are shoving down our throats. The masses will pay for it with a lowered standard of living... and cold houses.

LG kept everything that was making money and added this guarenteed "green" income to it. In fact they just enlarged their carbon footprint exponentially by doing so. It takes a lot of energy and resources to manufacture Li batteries...🤣
    Jesus man, don't you have a blog to write or a conspiracy theorist podcast to report in to? LG won't make new phones, can we stick to that topic??

Reactions: schwinn8

cmrntnnr

Jan 11, 2017
    LG made great hardware and I will definitely miss that. Custom roms on the V30 have been a lot of fun. LiquidRemix was my favorite. Unfortunately, LG showed utter disregard and even disdain for its customers. LG was tops at not releasing rom updates, finding new ways to lock down phones, crushing the dev community, and basically making life unpleasant.

LG's behavior was self-defeating and resulted in 24 straight quarters of losses. The mobile division refused to listen or change and patience of the corporation ran out. It was good while it lasted.

Sony Xperia 1 III here I come.

cmrntnnr

Jan 11, 2017
    Ever heard of Samsung?
    I sure have. I don't see what that has to do with my above statements. What is certain is that Samsung is doing something right. Unlike LG's, Samsung mobile communications division turns a profit in a competitive market.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
    I sure have. I don't see what that has to do with my above statements. What is certain is that Samsung is doing something right. Unlike LG's, Samsung mobile communications division turns a profit in a competitive market.

[/URL]
    How does Samsung's profit report have anything to do with the things you mentioned? Samsung does everything WRONG as far as the user is concerned regarding "finding new ways to lock down phones, crushing the dev community, and basically making life unpleasant". Charging a premium for phones does not a good company make. They are the Apple of the Android world.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    How does Samsung's profit report have anything to do with the things you mentioned? Samsung does everything WRONG as far as the user is concerned regarding "finding new ways to lock down phones, crushing the dev community, and basically making life unpleasant". Charging a premium for phones does not a good company make. They are the Apple of the Android world.
    Just had a 3 hour bs session with the horror named Knox. That was fun, almost cost me a reload.
    Sammy I don't need a big sister at all*.

Samsung has been tripping over its inane self as of late. So far their good ideas outweigh the bad ones but they need to listen more to their customer base (and not use their bloody app spyware feedback crap to do so).

Will the rabid box of gerbils known as Samsung Mobile survive? Only if someone cleans that box out properly with care as they feed the gerbils.
    Otherwise it will be just a turd box🤣

* I almost forgot, time to call Sammy customer support and show them my appreciation😈
    Really hope I get SKorea tech support... TFF

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[/URL]
      Hey guys! Please keep posts on the topic this thread was created. I noticed some personal posts above which are fine in my opinion but it seems not everyone who is participating in this thread appreciates it. If you would like to continue the personal discussion, please move it to another thread in the off-topic forum and keep this one the topic.

Regards,
      theimpulson
      No one will miss.

Dont agree with them making better phones. Yes some specs might have been better like the quaddac and wide angle camera but overall Samsung has almost always delivered a great complete phone. People who were complaining about Samsungs update policy clearly had never owned an LG phone.
      But from an xda point of view I agree that Samsung phones arent the easiest to work with.

You guys aren't from around here are you?
      LG made great hardware and I will definitely miss that. Custom roms on the V30 have been a lot of fun. LiquidRemix was my favorite. Unfortunately, LG showed utter disregard and even disdain for its customers. LG was tops at not releasing rom updates, finding new ways to lock down phones, crushing the dev community, and basically making life unpleasant.

LG's behavior was self-defeating and resulted in 24 straight quarters of losses. The mobile division refused to listen or change and patience of the corporation ran out. It was good while it lasted.

Sony Xperia 1 III here I come.
      I don't know where is "U.S. Brazil" 😂

Where I live. ;) I was just in Brazil for 7 weeks end of last year. MOD EDIT: REMOVED SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION

But the LG V30/V30+/V30 was one of the best phones ever made. And doubly so, because every variant can be bootloader unlocked and rooted, with no loss of functionality -- unlike Sony and even some Samsung phones.

For some reason, Brazil got the V35+ (128GB) variant of the V30 successor while U.S. got only the 64GB V35.
      https://www.androidauthority.com/report-lg-shutdown-1214217/

Sad day. They often made better phones than Samsung, but never marketed them effectively.

Past couple years they went in very strange directions -- with double displays like a book, double displays that rotated (like a T), while ramping down resolution from 1440p to only 1080 and going with lesser power processors while still trying to charge flagship prices.

To their credit LG was the last of the major OEMs to hold onto the headset jack and even including a quad DAC internal processor.

I still have my 2017 V30+ (128GB). One of the best phones ever made. The 2018 V35 (AT&T) was also great, but only came in 64GB internal memory in the U.S. Brazil got the V35+ (128GB) for some reason.

LG could have kept making phones like this and just increased RAM, newer processors every year, adding 5G, etc and had winners.

LG V30/V30+

* 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
      * Qi wireless charging
      * 3.5mm headset jack
      * Quad DAC
      * DTS 3D stereo (with root to enable LG libs)
      * FM Radio
      * IP68 dust/water resistance
      * rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 120 degree wide angle lens
      * superfast fingerprint sensor
      * 64GB (V30) or 128GB (V30+) internal storage
      * microSD port for additional storage
      * no notch
      * bootloader unlock and root for all phones thanks to exploits

LG V35

* 1440P OLED (537 ppi)
      * Qi wireless charging
      * 3.5mm headset jack
      * Quad DAC
      * DTS 3D stereo
      * FM Radio
      * IP68 dust/water resistance
      * rear camera OIS on normal lens - plus 107 degree wide angle lens
      * superfast fingerprint sensor
      * 64GB (V35) or 128GB (V35+) internal storage
      * microSD port for additional storage
      * no notch

Regards,
      theimpulson
      Ps . This new xda app is complete and udder animal waste composted garbage

[/URL]
      Yeah, I'm going to miss lg. I prefer their phones of all the manufacturers really. But when they locked down their phones bootloader, I left for the only rootable TMO device out there which is oneplus. Their camera is always complete garbage, especially compared to lg. I really miss lg but they lost even me.

Stupid marketing. If the v30 would have had even 6gb of ram, I'd still have that awesome device.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone