LG-P870 LG Escape: How to root, KDZ and other info

Search This thread

Urabewe

Oct 13, 2010
Seeing as there isn't a section for the LG P870/LG Escape I'm going to try and get as much info condensed into one thread for now.
Not even sure how popular this phone is but, hopefully this will be of some use to someone.

KDZ:

I know this isn't posted anywhere so here is the v10f KDZ from LG. It is the latest firmware as of 11/6/2012:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP870/AATTBK/P87010f_00/P87010f_00.kdz

If you don't know how to flash a KDZ I will make a guide here soon. V10f is rootable using the method below as is v10c

Download Mode:

To get into download mode turn off your phone, press and hold the vol+ and vol- keys, with those held down insert the USB cable while continuing to hold down the keys. After a few seconds phone will enter download mode automatically.

Rooting:

I was able to root my phone that has v10c on it using this tool:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31963526&postcount=532

I used 1.6 of the root script but some say that 1.2 works better for them. I would try 1.6 if that doesn't work try 1.2 if it fails the first time run it a second time and it should work.

Last edited:

Markyzz

Jan 7, 2012
California
Thanks! My wife just got this. I was able to root and update and retain root with OTA rootkeeper. Was looking for a kdz just in case. If there's enough interest i will see if i can port TWRP so we can cook up some custom roms.

cyclejim

Oct 11, 2007
I am definitely interested in custom roms, I have this device. Its not bad considering the price and what you get. 1494 on geekbench too! Pretty decent!

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Last edited:

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
Aye guys I'm new into rooting and android in general, but I don't really understand how to root this phone. Kinda been looking around for a while and I was wondering if you can write some sort of guide. As of now I'm pretty lost the other threads aren't giving me any general information on exactly how to root the LG P870 or androids in general.
-Thanks
Btw I understand what exactly what rooting does to your device and the purpose of rooting, its just exactly how to root the device.

Last edited:

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
Well first things first do you have the android SDK installed on your computer
Alright now what lol.
As of now I have Eclipse with android sdk installed on it and the newest version of java. Whats next, and spefically whats a KDZ and what is he talking about here:
Rooting:

I used 1.6 of the root script but some say that 1.2 works better for them. I would try 1.6 if that doesn't work try 1.2 if it fails the first time run it a second time and it should work.

Last edited:

Markyzz

Jan 7, 2012
California
He
Alright now what lol.
As of now I have Eclipse with android sdk installed on it and the newest version of java. Whats next, and spefically whats a KDZ and what is he talking about here:

Download the zip and unzip it to your desktop. Go into your phone's settings and go to developers options. Turn on USB debugging. Go back to settings and go to security. Turn on unknown sources. Now plug your phone in and run the .bat file that you just unzipped. Follow the commands on the and that should be it. Good luck!

cyclejim

Oct 11, 2007
Alright now what lol.

KDZ is the LG format for ROMs which is the built in read only memory that hold the instructions for the phone to run the hardware and features.

But I just rooted my phone with a combination of the above files, and it didnt go exactly as I hoped. First I ran the v1.2 batch file linked above, (the 1.6 batch file archive is invalid and doesnt extract properly. It seemed like it ran properly, i did the restore (no data destructive you shouldnt lost any data) but I didnt have root when completed. Then I tried the v17 of the original thread which can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

That one also ran but failed at the end saying something about me not having root on the phone.

I than ran the v1.2 batch file not once, but twice in a row. The second time I found my phone operating in "emulator mode" in other words, it was running laggy as hell and very slow. I then ran the V17 batch file from the link above, and boom it worked. So as you can see it wasnt typical, but I think if you dont have success with the 1.2 the first time, run it again, if it still didnt work, try running v17 like i did. I now have root and my phone is working fine. :D

Urabewe

Oct 13, 2010
Basically, I got the Escape then got the Nexus7 and have been involved in that. Really haven't been doing much with the Escape. I will be looking into more for everyone and hopefully get a custom recovery at the very least. Then at that point we can start thinking about rom. Until then we are stuck with what we have. I will get more info for everyone , till then this is what we have. If you think you can help go for it. If not sorry but this is the best info there is for our phone . I will positively without a doubt post any new info here so if that's what you are looking for this is the right place until then, thank you and you are welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
He

Download the zip and unzip it to your desktop. Go into your phone's settings and go to developers options. Turn on USB debugging. Go back to settings and go to security. Turn on unknown sources. Now plug your phone in and run the .bat file that you just unzipped. Follow the commands on the and that should be it. Good luck!
So when I run the .bat file do I just run it in cmd? I'm kinda knew at this lol.
Also does my phone have to be in download mode?
Sorry for the inconvenience but where exactly do I run the .bat file?
-Thanks
One more thing I never downloaded a .zip or .rar file.. Could you please leave me a link?

Last edited:

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
Rooted :)

Thanks people I guess I just needed time to figure it out lol. I ran it in cmd twice(1.2v) but not right after each other and the second time it worked thanks guys.
Well. I tried to install beats audio but now it won't even load up just boot loops when it gets to at&t...

Last edited:

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
Sorry for the repititive posts, but so far I have gotten my device to read by my computer. The only thing is I can see it in the Device manager but it never shows up in my computer. It also picks the phone up in cmd, is there sometype of command I can run to flash the device and put it back to normal?

Markyzz

Jan 7, 2012
California
Sorry for the repititive posts, but so far I have gotten my device to read by my computer. The only thing is I can see it in the Device manager but it never shows up in my computer. It also picks the phone up in cmd, is there sometype of command I can run to flash the device and put it back to normal?

No command. You need to flash the kdz using lg flash tool.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
No command. You need to flash the kdz using lg flash tool.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

Is their a guide on how to flash the device using the kdz flash tool? I mean my phone won't turn on though. It goes into the lg logo then just goes black (the back light is still on).

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
K I have all the tools but

I downloaded every tool from this thread
But in the PDF guides it says to put the phone in Upgrade mode by removing the SIM, battery and SDC(Micro sd card?) so I did that. Then insert the usb while holding the Volume Up button. All that happens on my phone is the home keys on the bottom just flash. And my phone doesn't connect to my computer either.

GHazard

Dec 1, 2012
My Notes on LG P870

Ok I have fixed my device, well twice now. It seems whenever you try to change any file within the root it restarts, then boot loops. I tried too change a font using Rom Toolbox, it restarted then boot looped. I rooted the device using the 1.2v script once, but this time I'll try 1.7v and see if I can change fonts etc.
Are any of you guys having any problem with this?
If you do, and you are soft bricked just:
Download UPK 3.7.1
Then open up LG /mobile Update
Click Install Drivers(Make sure your phone is not connected) Choose your phone and carrier
Let that finish(Gonna take awhile you have to install all of them)
Then click Install updates...Done

Last edited:

Mephisto_VI

Dec 15, 2012
Worked

Posting confirmation for an LG Escape (p870). 10f rooted using the tools linked in first post. Used version 1.2 to start and had to use the version 17 of the other rooting kit to finalize like another user encountered as well. Thanks will be given if they haven't been yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seeing as there isn't a section for the LG P870/LG Escape I'm going to try and get as much info condensed into one thread for now.
    Not even sure how popular this phone is but, hopefully this will be of some use to someone.

KDZ:

I know this isn't posted anywhere so here is the v10f KDZ from LG. It is the latest firmware as of 11/6/2012:

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP870/AATTBK/P87010f_00/P87010f_00.kdz

If you don't know how to flash a KDZ I will make a guide here soon. V10f is rootable using the method below as is v10c

Download Mode:

To get into download mode turn off your phone, press and hold the vol+ and vol- keys, with those held down insert the USB cable while continuing to hold down the keys. After a few seconds phone will enter download mode automatically.

Rooting:

Thought I would share with everyone how to root Version 10i of the LG Escape.

How to Root Version v10i
    Run LG Spectrum ICS Root script (Windows version) Batch file.
    Takes about a minute

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jtcbmy
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/jtcbmy
    Root for LG escape P870 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 !!!!

File edit for me: http://db.tt/NZ40I12l
    App:SuperSu 1.25 + Busybux

Edit: When updating superuser stopped working so I have changed and now you work SuperSU works perfect, delete the previous version with superuser, download this of dropbox with supersu :)

Enviado desde mi LG-P870 usando Tapatalk 2
    Anyone feeling ballsy?
    I think this "recovery" will work on the p870. Pretty much identical hardware
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/scorpion_mini/RAZR-M-Safestrap-3.12.apk
    It doesn't touch any system files, but acts as a custom recovery without touching any partitions

First we have to unlock the bootloader

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2198017

edit: I was reviewing various methods of unlocking the bootloader of other LG devices, and found that the method for the LG optimus freegee G has a structure very similar to our device;, serious test since all routes used in the script program are identical to the LG escape

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2001655

LG Escape+Root by Bin4ry
    Ok.

Step one: download the files linked in the first post. Version 1.2 because 1.6 is corrupted. While that is downloading, download "root checker" from the google play store to your phone.

Step two: if you have not already done so, download the "SDK" from the android website and follow their instructions to set it up.

Step three: on your phone, go to settings and the "developer options" section. Check (enable) "USB debugging". Make sure your phone is not connected to the cable to your computer.

Step four: connect your phone to the computer with the cable that came with the phone. Select pc installer from the popup menu on your phone or select that same menu under settings then connectivity section.

Step five: backup your stuff with your preferred programs. I used SMS backup from the google play store and the program backup the same developer made. Pictures I copied directly to my computer.

Step six: open the software downloaded from step one run the batch file (.bat) included. If you have it all configured correctly, there will be a prompt on your phone to restore. Select yes. Restart your phone once it is done and wait for your phone to be ready. Load root checker and see if you succeeded. If yes, congratulations. If not, re-run the .bat file as before. If you still do not have root after the second try, get version 17 of the generic LG rooting kit from the link to the original thread and run it. Then use root checker to see if successful.

Sent from my LG-P870 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone