• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

lg stylo 5 dilemma

Search This thread

hughhmannn

Jul 15, 2021
so a friend who owed me some money said he had an extra phone because he just got a new one. I can confirm this because I was there when he got his new stylo 6 so not thinking much about it (aka trust) and I desperately needed a phone so i agreed. he dropped the phone off at my work the other day, its clean, no cracks, i was very happy with it. the one thing that i couldnt confirm was it was unlocked. because of my trust with this so called friend i believed him when he said he hadnt charged it cuz he didnt use it anymore.

all good...i have a charger at the house i thought. and i did, but i turn the phone on and its locked.

i go to message my buddy, no response. i call, no answer. dude literally wont contact me because idk maybe doesnt know code (like he stole it or found it) or he knows code the and the phones software is ****ed, idk. but i ordered a metro sim and am hoping they will be able to help.

did i buy a paperweight, since i guess im not geitting paid back either by my degenerate of a friend, whom im removing the title of "friend" Its a nice phone and i would like to be able to use it.

any ideas? im nervous to reset because i dont want to google lock it incase he was logged in.

and for anyone wanting to imply im the thief go learn about KARMA. LEARN ABOUT IT. VERY REAL AND ALWAYS OCCURS.

mobnoob

Dec 25, 2014
LG G3
Lenovo P2
so a friend who owed me some money said he had an extra phone because he just got a new one. I can confirm this because I was there when he got his new stylo 6 so not thinking much about it (aka trust) and I desperately needed a phone so i agreed.
It's not clear what phone you received also another strange thing is the phone looked in good conditions but no charger??
Another huge mistake you made is you didn't even turn the phone on in front of your "friend"?
The phone still has a Google account from the previous owner so even hard resetting it doesn't give you a working phone.
Imagine if the phone is stolen and someone just hard resets it and gets away, it doesn't work this way because Google will ask you the previous owner's login details.
In addition it looks like the phone has a screen lock so you're out of luck.
You can check online if the IMEI was blocked = stolen phone or unpaid phone rates.
Depending on your country of origin you should call the Police and report this "friend" and say he sold you a stolen phone, you believe it's stolen because the phone is locked and that guy refused to deal with you.
Lesson learned, buying second hand phones is very risky unless you know what you're doing.
Regarding Google, I sold a Google Pixel3 with hard reset and the new buyer was able to use it while a Lenovo P2 with hard reset will only allow the setup once it gets the previous owner Google credentials!

Jeremy619

Dec 24, 2021
so a friend who owed me some money said he had an extra phone because he just got a new one. I can confirm this because I was there when he got his new stylo 6 so not thinking much about it (aka trust) and I desperately needed a phone so i agreed. he dropped the phone off at my work the other day, its clean, no cracks, i was very happy with it. the one thing that i couldnt confirm was it was unlocked. because of my trust with this so called friend i believed him when he said he hadnt charged it cuz he didnt use it anymore.

all good...i have a charger at the house i thought. and i did, but i turn the phone on and its locked.

i go to message my buddy, no response. i call, no answer. dude literally wont contact me because idk maybe doesnt know code (like he stole it or found it) or he knows code the and the phones software is ****ed, idk. but i ordered a metro sim and am hoping they will be able to help.

did i buy a paperweight, since i guess im not geitting paid back either by my degenerate of a friend, whom im removing the title of "friend" Its a nice phone and i would like to be able to use it.

any ideas? im nervous to reset because i dont want to google lock it incase he was logged in.

and for anyone wanting to imply im the thief go learn about KARMA. LEARN ABOUT IT. VERY REAL AND ALWAYS OCCURS.
om...., well... if it don't work anyways... I'd reset it, worst case it Google locks, AND asks for screen code and Gmail, and your buddy should have that if he or she ever responds anyway