• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG Thrive/p506 Unbrick Guide

Search This thread

XDleader555

Feb 7, 2011
This is a last resort. Simply because it takes too much time and effort and because it might not work at all.

If you have tried to flash the Optimus/p500 kdz to your Thrive/p506 phone in hopes of factory resetting or getting out of emergency mode you will be stuck in a mode where the phone only boots to emergency mode immediately. (You don't get the LG boot screen.) This is because the kdz flash fails when attempting to write the optimus base band to your phone corrupting the base band. (or so I've figured out. If someone knows the real reason please correct me.)

To re-flash your base band you need: (I can't post links yet. I'll go post around in some thread now.)
- LGMDP mediafire.com/?3bi3247slaoitub
- Stock Files or P506 Stock Files with AmonRa Recovery (only AmonRa recovery mediafire.com/?0yyxt2vv7zw2pvy)
- LG United Drivers
- LG Mobile Support tool
- Virtual Box with Windows XP (Tested with my computer)

What?! Virtual box with Windows XP? This is the reason why this guide is a last resort. Unless anyone else knows how to cause LGMDP to timeout at "Version Checking" when selecting your com port you wont need this. LGMDP needs to time out at "Version Checking" so you can identify your phone as a p500 or p505 allowing you to flash the stock files to your phone. (I've heard/read that the p506 and p500 have the same board and even the same partition layout.) Using Virtual box lags the OS and the serial port causing LGMDP to time out.

~ WARNING!!! ~
I am not responsible for any further bricking of your device/s and the time you have lost if this method doesn't work. This method is not 100% likely to work. I'm not entirely sure if this is a US base band either. If your network doesn't work after flashing then that's a downside. (Mine doesn't get signal or detect my sim card. Perhaps someone with a working Thrive base band could somehow dump theirs and share it with others)

- Get Virtual box running with Windows XP (No guide for this, look one up yourself) and make sure to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack.
- On your normal OS download LGMDP and the stock files to a USB drive. (or download them to the Virtual OS)
- Take the battery and charger out of your phone, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds and place the battery back into the phone. Next hold Back+VolUp+Power until Emergency mode appears. (I know that it automatically goes into Emergency mode, but it doesn't detect the phone when it auto boots to it.)
- Install the LG United Drivers and the LG Support tool to the Virtual OS.
- Connect your phone and flash drive to the Virtual OS.
Picture goes Here
- Browse to LGMDP and execute the program. Press "Select Port" and choose the only one available. Then press connect,
- If LGMDP does not time out at "Version Checking" and nothing happens for a while, close LGMDP and repeat the last step.
- If you do succeed select p500 or p505 as the model.
Picture goes Here

- ATTEMPT TO DO AN NV BACKUP. Without your nv you wont get signal. or so I've read
- Click Browse for "Image Folder" and browse for your p506 files folder.
- Once selected all of the parts should be checked. Un-check all EXCEPT the following:
- Partition Table
- QCSBL Header
- QCSBL
- OEMSBL Header
- OEMSBL
- AMSS Modem Image Header
- AMSS Modem Image
- RECOVERY Image
(If you would like to do a factory reset, feel free to leave them all checked.)
Picture goes Here
- Click "Start" and it will immediately start flashing your phone.
- ATTENTION! LGMDP will most likely freeze when flashing your phone. If it were to freeze simply do a battery pull (full shutdown) and repeat the process. (It takes time, but it won't corrupt your phone. Probably.)
- The phone should automatically reboot when it's done. Do a battery pull and boot into recovery Home+VolUp+Power (If you used AmonRa Recovery) and flash any rom.

Last edited:

bennie2gh

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks XDleader555, but didn't work on mine.
However I tried this few simple steps and it worked for me, so anyone with a similar problem may try this one.

REMEMBER!!!! this is also a last resort, Do this if you have no other option and I will not be responsible for further bricking of your device.

1. Download the flashing tool:
LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix

2.Download the custom lg thrive kdz firmware
custom_lg_Thrive from 4shared (search exact key word "custom_lg_Thrive" )

3.connect the device via USB

4. open KDZ_FW_UPD.exe, set Phonemode to diag and type to 3GQCT

5. select the kdz file you downloaded

6. click the launch software update button

7. sit back and wait, it takes some time

surya s

Apr 8, 2014
Gorakhpur
This is a last resort. Simply because it takes too much time and effort and because it might not work at all.

If you have tried to flash the Optimus/p500 kdz to your Thrive/p506 phone in hopes of factory resetting or getting out of emergency mode you will be stuck in a mode where the phone only boots to emergency mode immediately. (You don't get the LG boot screen.) This is because the kdz flash fails when attempting to write the optimus base band to your phone corrupting the base band. (or so I've figured out. If someone knows the real reason please correct me.)

To re-flash your base band you need: (I can't post links yet. I'll go post around in some thread now.)
- LGMDP mediafire.com/?3bi3247slaoitub
- Stock Files or P506 Stock Files with AmonRa Recovery (only AmonRa recovery mediafire.com/?0yyxt2vv7zw2pvy)
- LG United Drivers
- LG Mobile Support tool
- Virtual Box with Windows XP (Tested with my computer)

What?! Virtual box with Windows XP? This is the reason why this guide is a last resort. Unless anyone else knows how to cause LGMDP to timeout at "Version Checking" when selecting your com port you wont need this. LGMDP needs to time out at "Version Checking" so you can identify your phone as a p500 or p505 allowing you to flash the stock files to your phone. (I've heard/read that the p506 and p500 have the same board and even the same partition layout.) Using Virtual box lags the OS and the serial port causing LGMDP to time out.

~ WARNING!!! ~
I am not responsible for any further bricking of your device/s and the time you have lost if this method doesn't work. This method is not 100% likely to work. I'm not entirely sure if this is a US base band either. If your network doesn't work after flashing then that's a downside. (Mine doesn't get signal or detect my sim card. Perhaps someone with a working Thrive base band could somehow dump theirs and share it with others)

- Get Virtual box running with Windows XP (No guide for this, look one up yourself) and make sure to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack.
- On your normal OS download LGMDP and the stock files to a USB drive. (or download them to the Virtual OS)
- Take the battery and charger out of your phone, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds and place the battery back into the phone. Next hold Back+VolUp+Power until Emergency mode appears. (I know that it automatically goes into Emergency mode, but it doesn't detect the phone when it auto boots to it.)
- Install the LG United Drivers and the LG Support tool to the Virtual OS.
- Connect your phone and flash drive to the Virtual OS.
Picture goes Here
- Browse to LGMDP and execute the program. Press "Select Port" and choose the only one available. Then press connect,
- If LGMDP does not time out at "Version Checking" and nothing happens for a while, close LGMDP and repeat the last step.
- If you do succeed select p500 or p505 as the model.
Picture goes Here

- ATTEMPT TO DO AN NV BACKUP. Without your nv you wont get signal. or so I've read
- Click Browse for "Image Folder" and browse for your p506 files folder.
- Once selected all of the parts should be checked. Un-check all EXCEPT the following:
- Partition Table
- QCSBL Header
- QCSBL
- OEMSBL Header
- OEMSBL
- AMSS Modem Image Header
- AMSS Modem Image
- RECOVERY Image
(If you would like to do a factory reset, feel free to leave them all checked.)
Picture goes Here
- Click "Start" and it will immediately start flashing your phone.
- ATTENTION! LGMDP will most likely freeze when flashing your phone. If it were to freeze simply do a battery pull (full shutdown) and repeat the process. (It takes time, but it won't corrupt your phone. Probably.)
- The phone should automatically reboot when it's done. Do a battery pull and boot into recovery Home+VolUp+Power (If you used AmonRa Recovery) and flash any rom.
PLEASE provide me lg p500 stock files india

SriramChandravemuri

Jul 11, 2014
Hi,I use lgp506, I want to upgrade this mobile to next version, nearly spent half day,but all gone for a toss, it says root not found,superuser not there,APk file I have download it from get.cm but it says parse error,cannot run this! Please tell me how to root it and upgrade it to next version,2.2.2 now want the next version, also suggest how to do, which version best supports it! Thanks!

Sent from my LG-P506 using XDA Free mobile app

cpvm

Sep 1, 2011
Moto G6
I know this is a really old thread but I found my old thrive in a drawer. I tried to revive it many years ago but I didn't succeed so I have forgetten about it. Three days ago, I found it again and I tried to revive it again and after trying many other tutorials, this is the only one that has worked so far.