• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

LG V10 bootloop how to fix

Search This thread

Mlmiller

Feb 27, 2017
I suppose there is a potential that a new battery would in some way help things (could I sound more doubtful?). Considering there are multiple generations of LG phones that exhibit this bootloop error, and several youtube videos and forums dedicated to people trying to solve it, we would be in for a massive collective facepalm if it were really as simple as replacing the battery.

The consensus seems to be that one or more of the incredibly tiny connections inside the phone eventually lets go or shorts out.

Some people find they can run the phone long enough to get their files off if they FREEZE it. Others find that applying intense HEAT to the unit keeps it running for a short while. Exactly how this temporarily fixes the problem, I have absolutely no idea, but I sure am glad it does. Without the temporary solution to the "bootloop" I would have lost months of photos and videos of moments with my kids that I would deeply miss looking back on.

I had read about the bootlooping problem before it actually happened to me, and the morning that I woke up and looked at my phone to discover it was frozen on the boot screen was a gut punch I had mentally prepared for, but still did not want to believe.

I'm not eligible for warranty repair since I have a fine line crack in the glass on the touch screen. You can find accounts of people sending their LG phone for warranty service and getting it back only to have it bootloop again so many weeks or months later.

I started by FREEZING my LG V10 for about fifteen minutes. I put it in a ziplock bag to help control for moisture. Sure enough, it booted up, but only for a few minutes before going back into bootloop. I gave up on it for a few days, did a little research, hoping (just like everyone else) that I would find the youtube video or forum with the solution to the problem.

My attempt at BAKING the LG V10 was approached with caution. I took the phone apart down to the motherboard, carefully popped the heat shields off (first time for everything, learning as I go) and put it in the oven in a pyrex dish at 250° F (I'm in america, the oven doesn't do celsius) for about twenty minutes. I put the phone back together and joy of joys! It worked!... for about three hours. Long enough to get my files off. I'll take it.

I had an old Moto X 2013 sitting on the shelf, so I dusted it off and got back on with my life. I miss the fantastic camera on the LG V10, I live near the beach and love to take pictures and videos of my two young boys with the V10. Manual control of every setting. When it works, it's a fantastic phone. I've been researching the LG V20, and sure enough (and to my dismay) I'm starting to here rumbling of people experiencing bootloop.

I figured I've got nothing to lose by baking the V10 again. I've done it twice more, each time at higher temperature and a longer period of time. This most recent attempt ended at 400° F for a few minutes, most of the time I kept it around 350° F, but figured what the hell and cranked it up at the end. My LG V10 worked for roughly 14 hours. All the files and settings were right where I had left them before the bootloop. I played with it for much of those 14 hours... pathetic as it sounds, it was like reconnecting with an old friend, or Frankensteining a pet back to life. I knew it wouldn't last, so I soaked it up.

Through one of the baking attempts, I figured I'd try and add some thermal compound under the heatshields. I've read that too much can be counterproductive and act as an insulator. I was careful to spread a thin layer. For those of you who haven't taken apart your LG V10, it does seem odd to me that the main snapdragon processor sits in the middle with absolutely no heatshield over it. There is what looks like a thermal pad for it to rest against when it's all put together, but here's the curious thing...

After the thermal paste and a short run with the phone working and inevitably bootlooping again, I took it apart and realized that the underside of the heatshields and the thermal pad for the snapdragon had absolutely NO THERMAL PASTE residue on them, meaning that these chips don't touch the heatshields. They don't have anywhere to directly transfer the heat. If anything, the heatshields act as tiny ovens, trapping the collective heat of the chips that they cover. IS THIS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK?

I haven't taken apart enough other brands of phones to know if this is the standard practice, but coming from a background of building gaming computers as a hobby, it seems to me like not giving these tiny little processors anywhere to transfer their heat is asking for eventual meltdown.

But back to simply replacing the battery, it did cross my mind that the night I first bootlooped my V10, I connected it to one of the more powerful wall chargers I have floating around the house. At this point, most families have more than one wall charger on hand that you can plug a USB device into. My wife has had multiple iphones, I've had multiple phones and devices, and with them all come these little wall adapters that aren't all created equal. Some manufacturers (maybe all of them) say to only use their included adapters, and I've always shrugged that off as a marketing ploy to make me buy more of "their" adapter. But, sure enough, if you read the tiny print on each of these adapters, you'll see that the power output can vary widely. Some put out less than 1 amp, while some put out more than 2 amps. I even got in the habit of making sure I was plugging whatever phone I happened to own into the strongest adapter in the house to make sure it would charge as quickly as possible...

The most recent time that I got the LG V10 to come to life out of the oven, I made sure to use the weakest (i.e. most gentle) charging adapter I could find. 700 mAmp. And that's the time it worked for 14 hours. I let it get down to 10% battery before plugging it in and juicing it to 100% overnight and then using it for a good while after that.

So maybe... maybe there is a possibility that the LG phones and/or batteries aren't as capable of handling a slightly more (or less) powerful adapter than the one that came with it. I know I'm going way too long with all this typing and speculating over a phone that, in the end, is gonna sit dead on my shelf, with all it's glorious functionality begging me to throw it back in the oven so we can play again just a little longer.

In the end it's just a phone. A great phone with a serious serious flaw that LG won't talk openly about. If this were an old 8-bit nintendo console, some brave geek could sit there and test every trace on the board and find the dead one and go from there. But these are impossibly tiny circuits now, and electronics are now in the age of dispose and replace instead of diagnose and repair. You can fix a bug in the software, but if your phones motherboard ****s the bed, you're pretty much out of luck.

The newest LG G6 (looks awesome, by the way) was unveiled at MWC with "reliability" being one of the key terms they were marketing. So LG knows that the word is out there about bootlooping. If they were as big in the market as apple or Samsung, this would be a huge problem for them. But their profit margins are too tight for them to look back and fix yesterday's phone offerings. They're just doing their best to promise, without saying the word "bootloop", that things will be better in the future. Considering the V line of LG phones have one of the best camera games in town, I hope they're right.

Or maybe it's just the battery...

Reactions: NATHANTB

def-g

Dec 30, 2008
Winnipeg
This happened to me 3 weeks ago. Loved this phone had it for almost 2 years!!! One day during work phone just shut down. Did battery pull, no good. Messed me up cause with my line of work GPS, Data and a working phone is a MUST. Figured Id go home and fix it. After researching it. Bootloop. Had to go out and buy a ****ty temp phone. Finding this was indeed a thing with LG phones got me PISSED!!! Paid a grand for this phone and babied it. Just to have it DIE!!?? Was really looking at the V20, but LG can't be trusted. So got the MATE 9. BY FAR the best phone I've ever had. Truss me. With the V10 just sitting around with a crap load of accessories. I figure send it to LG and see what happens. Went to repair site and got a UPS shipping label. Making sure to emphasize BOOTLOOP and even though off warranty sent it off a week ago. My thoughts were if it was a reasonable price to fix, fix it and sell it. Got a email from LG that it was a " power cable issue" LOL. But they are going to fix it for FREE and ship it back in about 6 days. Glad they acknowledge their fault, but should have never happened with such a pricey phone. So now I'm LOVING Huawei Mate 9. So things happen for a reason. So send it to LG. Hope this helps.

G

simondiego

Mar 21, 2017
I've just bought a V10 with a manufacturing date of 6/2016 and am already planning to return it, but I'd love to keep it.

Has anyone tried running their V10 with an alternate kernel or internal chip power settings to have it run cooler, if a bit slower? If I could have it last 3 years and run a bit slower, that'd be okay for me.

How is it that this happens? Could it be faulty software? It sounds like the throttling isn't working like it's supposed to and the chips are burning out from excess heat. I mean, they work okay for MONTHS and then suddenly and intermittantly just stop working?

What if its something wrong with the power draw from the batteries? The Note 7 had a killer battery issue as well.

One of the previous posters said something about a heat shield. Anyone try running their V10 without it installed? What about taking it out and putting a metal dissipating plate a bit further away, directly onto the back cover over the chip?

What about LG specific malware? What if there's an app out there that pushes the chips past their limits intentionally or accidentally? That's probably a bit out there I know. I was just thinking of the Zero Days movie.

Really don't want to send it back but....

Last edited:

ǀcey

mine started to spontaneously reboot at random times a few weeks ago. :(
bout the sametime i discovered all the marvelous quickie tweaks that can be
done with buildprop edits.

i thought maybe at first I messed up editting or got to carrued away. after basically
restoring the tot, i try tweaking edits again but with obly known safer edits.

This time after restoring the tot file a few days ago, I turned off all
system ui edits to start elminating which tweak or xposed module
was not playing well.

Phone crashed last night(2 days afterwards of no ui tweaks) while i was reading up here in xda for known issues.

it will do nothing when factory reset, clear cache, or safe mode in bootup menu or it will do all the above at times ha

Ive re - kdz + re totted my eyes out since + bit the bullet as a last resort and gave it 25a instead of 11b kdz....zzzz

I almost never gamed on it, btw
but i could get it mighty hot
had 1 drop on hard surface a few months after i got it
was not damaged

Still its a no go or a 1/2 ass attempts to boot up.

Went to lg site requested repair, auto response tells me to box it up and go ship it.

Getting ready to call them now for a better support measures. Wish me luck!

On the heat/freeze temp fix

freezing frying/failing pc hard drives always worth trying as last resorts to recover data....especially on the hot running ones

baking/heating works good on laptops with bad video boards. reason being that ****ty or broken soder lines will reflow and temp fixes the crack

JamezRavi

May 22, 2017
Happened to me with an LG-V10 H960 (Israeli model, 32GB) - about an hour ago. This is with a plain, non-rooted phone, with stock ROM that only upgraded to Marshmallow a few months ago. Never fiddled with it, nothing at all.

I noticed over the past few months an occasional case when the phone would tell me I need to tap my knock-code and can't use the fingerprint reader, so I started suspecting it may have rebooted spontaneously when I wasn't looking, but I couldn't be sure as it kept saying "after 48 hours of no use - cannot use fingerprints" - it seemed odd, but I didn't read the signs...

About an hour ago, I was holding the phone, and it happened right in front of me. Phone became stuck, unresponsive for a few seconds, then screen blacked-out, and I saw the LG logo, and it was stuck in the bootloop.

I pulled the battery, and replaced it, tried a few times - nothing. Then I pulled the battery again and tried to only charge the phone - it showed me the charging screen, but then rebooted and went back to the bootloop.

I'm on my way to an LG service center, and will update if they tell me anything interesting. In any case I got "lucky" since I ran LG Backup about a month ago, and all of my photos / videos get recorded to the external SD card (which I immediately removed, of course, for safety).

Have you had any luck? This happened to me a few days ago right before I was going to trade it in. Do you think it's still eligible for trade in? What did you do? It's been 4 months.

xtc39

Mar 24, 2013
Positive update on the bootloop issue:

I had got an LG V10 last year August from US (I am in India). A month ago, out of nowhere the phone froze and never did it cross the LG screen after that. Tried everything from the freezer solution to recovery using LG Bridge but no luck. Since there was no way to get warranty on this sitting here in India, I decided to take things in my own hands. Based on what I had read, the issue was caused mostly by heating. But sadly there was no way to conclude that with my phone. Still I went with the general perception and decided to open up the phone to see how complex things are (nothing to lose right !!!) I applied a bit of thermal compound on the CPU and fired up the phone. Sadly nothing happened and it was difficult to say if there was even any juice left in the battery. Plugged the charger and gave it a shot and Guess what, the LG logo and the magical sparkle around it started moving. In that instance we successfully reached the phone set up screen and managed to reach the homescreen. But that's about it. a few seconds later the phone turned itself off and was again stuck on Bootloop. Although a futile effort, it led to the confirmation that it is the heating that causes the issue. In the next few days I got my hands on thermal pads which I combined with the compound and re-applied. Again the phone refused to start and I just let it be. After a couple of days, when I tried, the phone started working like a new phone. Since I had already lost my data, I decided, I would use this phone for a few days before deciding to insert the sim from the old phone. It's been a week now and I have installed some heavy 3D games like NFS, Asphalt etc and trying to push the phone to its limits before I make it my daily driver. So far its holding up pretty well and by the looks of it I might switch to this fone again. Thanks for reading and I am hoping my experience would help someone out there, who might just be giving up on the phone completely.

PS: I was out in the market looking for a new handset and guess what I rounded up on: The LG V20 :D I guess one lesson is never enough to teach a man.

Reactions: Raj_The_Ripper

sun_is_shinning

Jul 13, 2016
Valongo
My V10 was produced on 25/11/2016. So does it mean that it is free from the bootloop issue?

V10 doesnt be in production for so long, at that time V20 replace the V10 so...maybe there are a mistake somewhere you find the production date or you are beign scammed.

check with LG Phone Info app from playstore the production date...

zohaib anwar

Dec 12, 2012
Dubai
V10 doesnt be in production for so long, at that time V20 replace the V10 so...maybe there are a mistake somewhere you find the production date or you are beign scammed.

check with LG Phone Info app from playstore the production date...

Screenshot from LG phone info app

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-31-04-46-58.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-31-04-46-58.png
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,064

pilotdan1985

May 31, 2017
LG Positive Experience

I'd like to add on this topic with a pretty positive experience I've had with LG. My LG V10 started the "boot loop" problem a few days ago. I tried all the basic soft and hard reset and battery removal tricks I found on the web with no avail. I even took it to an At&T store and they tried to do a factory reset that kept failing. AT&T told me it was toast. I also tried myself to do a factory reset which kept freezing on the 2nd - 3rd step. I even tried LG Bridge repair with a usb connection to attempt to restore/ reset that way (which I later found out from LG isn't possible because the phone has to be booted to do this). I went to LG's website and entered my phones info and the site told me it was out of warranty. (which I knew, the phone is nearly 2 years old)

At this point I kinda thought I was screwed. Quick side note: While I was having this issue with my V10 on vacation AT&T did sell me a little ZTE z831 for about $47 and got me out of the jam of not having a phone while on vacation. Since I had all my google accounts synced up from my V10 as soon as I signed in on the ZTE Maven I got most of my pictures, contacts, and emails back.

My last straw for my V10 was to call LG. The lady I spoke with on the phone was extremely nice and and after I briefly informed her of basically everything I stated in my first paragraph above and that their website said it was out of warranty she basically said "no problem, we can still fix this for you". She said all I needed to do was send it in to them. She told me the only way to fix my boot problem was to replace the motherboard. I'm sending it in to them today and they are supposed to replace the motherboard and have it back out to me free of charge within 2 weeks.

Yes it sucks I had to buy a temp phone, and yes it sucks I lost a little bit of data. But, my props go out to LG. They could have very easily told me the same thing that 99% of other big companies do to us these days "sorry its out of warranty, we wont help you" But they didn't. They are supporting their product. Very glad to see there are still some good companies out there that do stand behind their products and not their lawyers.

Sorry for the long post. People are quick to report negativity on the web. I wanted to take the time and share the details and give credit where its due.

betoNL

Didn't read all the posts here, but I can definitely say that this logo bootloop issue is NOT hardware related...

My H960A is rooted ( bootloader unlocked of course) , with custom recovery (TWRP) and I got stuck on logo a couple of weeks ago..

Rebooted into recovery, flashed a custom rom and phone started again

After that used a 3rd party tool to flash one of the latest stock firmwares, flashed a wrong firmware, but LG Bridge fixed evrything

Now my phone is like brand new ( just the warning for the unlocked bootloader remains)

So if some service center tells you it's a software( EDIT - I mean, hardware) issue like defective motherboard or something, they are full of it :eek:

Just read some tutorials/ threads on how to flash stock firmware with the different tools available ( LGUP , LG Flash tool, Chimera, etc..https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/general/guide-lg-v10-stock-firmware-to-stock-t3224170) and you will get over the bootloop issue...

And ....if after flashing a stock firmware ( with one of those 3rd party tools), phone will still get stuck on logo , just run LG Bridge run update or fix update error, and LG Bridge will fix everything...

My 2 cents

Cheers

Last edited:

edman8520

Jun 2, 2017
Would it clean all the data after flashing a stock firmware??!!

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Would it clean all the data after flashing a stock firmware??!!

Didn't read all the posts here, but I can definitely say that this logo bootloop issue is NOT hardware related...

My H960A is rooted ( bootloader unlocked of course) , with custom recovery (TWRP) and I got stuck on logo a couple of weeks ago..

After that used a 3rd party tool to flash one of the latest stock firmwares, flashed a wrong firmware, but LG Bridge fixed evrything

Now my phone is like brand new ( just the warning for the unlocked bootloader remains)

So if some service center tells you it's a software issue like defective motherboard or something, they are full of it :eek:

Just read some tutorials/ threads on how to flash stock firmware with the different tools available ( LGUP , LG Flash tool, Chimera, etc..https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v10/general/guide-lg-v10-stock-firmware-to-stock-t3224170) and you will get over the bootloop issue...

And ....if after flashing a stock firmware ( with one of those 3rd party tools), phone will still get stuck on logo , just run LG Bridge run update or fix update error, and LG Bridge will fix everything...

My 2 cents

Cheers

betoNL

@edman8520

There are different tools and different ways to flash....read the tutorials.

If you are still on stock recovery, I would try LG BRIDGE (official LG's tool) which in my case worked also in download mode.

How to get into download mode? If I remember well , turn off the phone and while holding volume up button, insert USB cable..

Otherwise, as I said before, research, read and read more...The best info is always on XDA.

LG Bridge won't erase data...afaik

terrosa

Jun 5, 2017
thought i should chip in on my experience and how i recover almost all of my data.

my V10 went into bootloop last week. to make matter worse as I am a procrastinator I didn't back up all my data from the phone. To give you an idea, I have like only less than 1GB of space left on my phone's drive. So, imagine my horror upon seeing the LG's logo in the looping, freak the hell out of me.

tried a couple of ways to boot it up so that I could retrieve the data, including freezing it and heating it up with hair dryer. Of the 2 only heating works. I heat it up till it's pretty darn hot, and tried boot it up, viola... it got passed the LG logo and working perfectly, despite it's too hot to handle and stop. So, i get on doing my things to copy out the data but as soon as the heat were gone, it went back to bootloop. As I have like more than 62GB of data to copy out, this is annoying...

It got me into thinking to improvise the method. Not sure if anyone tried before but the result from what I did was pretty impressive, not only i got to copy all the data out, but I also got to use the phone for a good few hours before it went to bootloop again.

Well, what I did was, took out the back cover, put it into an air/water proof plastic bag and soak it into HOT water. leave it for 2 or so minute, take it out, power it on and do my things before putting it back onto the hot water and let the phone do it's thing. Periodically check the water temp, if my hand can tolerate it, then i change the water to HOT water.

Before I knew it, all things was copied out and I had done all that I need without any bootlooping. After I had done with all the necessary, I continue to soak it in HOT water and see how long it can last. Before leaving the house, since I had yet to purchase another phone at that time, I try to see if i could use it after soaking it in HOT water for few hours. IT DID... and it last well long into 6 hours or so after that before it went to bootlooping, when i strain the phone by using it heavily.

A few things to take note here, the hot water I used range from the high of 60 degree CELSIUS to over 90 degree CELSIUS. I soak the phone top down and the water level up to the camera only, avoiding the battery coz you don't want to battery to get too hot, else the system sensed it and would shut down. And oh, MAKE SURE you wrap it with air/water proof plastic bag. Be careful after putting it into the water as the water would trigger the capacitive screen and might interrupt with whatever you are doing or want the phone to do.

Do let me know if this works for you. And if you are using G4 or V10 or anything LG device that's known to bootloop always backup your stuff, don't be a procrastinator like me. Now, i have to put up with using a phone that i couldn't conveniently swap battery :(

sun_is_shinning

Jul 13, 2016
Valongo
Lol...
Heating up the phone in order to get over the logo bootloop...never heard about it, really, reading it for the first time...
That's rich..

Yes boys and girls...nothing better than having fresh backups...

LOL! oh men you are so overdated then. A lot of people are doing it with G4 and now with V10, heating the SoC to get the solder to make contact with the components and then the phone can work for a little or if people are lucky get it to work again for a long time.

Because the problem on this phone and G4 is the solder lose contact with MB and dont boot because that. LG already admit the problem and some people are gettin the repair for free because LG is doing the right thing, after all is their fault.

betoNL

LOL! oh men you are so overdated then. A lot of people are doing it with G4 and now with V10, heating the SoC to get the solder to make contact with the components and then the phone can work for a little or if people are lucky get it to work again for a long time.

Because the problem on this phone and G4 is the solder lose contact with MB and dont boot because that. LG already admit the problem and some people are gettin the repair for free because LG is doing the right thing, after all is their fault.
Anyway , a couple of weeks ago my V10 suddenly rebooted , got stuck on logo ( bootloop) , so I got it running again just by flashing a custom rom from recovery and later I flashed the latest stock firmware with a 3rd party flash tool....... and now it is like brand new....

So you can say, in same cases this issue is hardware related and in other cases software related ??
All these reports are still, nevertheless, quite rich...

No way I will ever cook my phone, LOL :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: cris royal (Elec)

Goofy-Goober

Mar 14, 2012
Village of Belin
Hi guys, i'm from Italy with a TIM branded V10 bought in March 2016....
My V10 "died" some days ago, it was stuck while screen was off and second screen on, not responding to any input.
Removed the battery and put back in place, phone started bootlooping...

I put in the freezer for a couple of hour, and it came back to life for 2 minutes, then bootloop again... Then i tried the oven trick and it worked like a charm, 8 minutes at 195° Celsius, 1 night cooldown and tomorrow morning the V10 is fully functional and i have recovered all my data.

Now i will wait to see if it last till tonight.

Thanks to everyone that suggest the "cooking" method, without that my data were lost.

Reactions: slackerr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LG Positive Experience

I'd like to add on this topic with a pretty positive experience I've had with LG. My LG V10 started the "boot loop" problem a few days ago. I tried all the basic soft and hard reset and battery removal tricks I found on the web with no avail. I even took it to an At&T store and they tried to do a factory reset that kept failing. AT&T told me it was toast. I also tried myself to do a factory reset which kept freezing on the 2nd - 3rd step. I even tried LG Bridge repair with a usb connection to attempt to restore/ reset that way (which I later found out from LG isn't possible because the phone has to be booted to do this). I went to LG's website and entered my phones info and the site told me it was out of warranty. (which I knew, the phone is nearly 2 years old)

At this point I kinda thought I was screwed. Quick side note: While I was having this issue with my V10 on vacation AT&T did sell me a little ZTE z831 for about $47 and got me out of the jam of not having a phone while on vacation. Since I had all my google accounts synced up from my V10 as soon as I signed in on the ZTE Maven I got most of my pictures, contacts, and emails back.

My last straw for my V10 was to call LG. The lady I spoke with on the phone was extremely nice and and after I briefly informed her of basically everything I stated in my first paragraph above and that their website said it was out of warranty she basically said "no problem, we can still fix this for you". She said all I needed to do was send it in to them. She told me the only way to fix my boot problem was to replace the motherboard. I'm sending it in to them today and they are supposed to replace the motherboard and have it back out to me free of charge within 2 weeks.

Yes it sucks I had to buy a temp phone, and yes it sucks I lost a little bit of data. But, my props go out to LG. They could have very easily told me the same thing that 99% of other big companies do to us these days "sorry its out of warranty, we wont help you" But they didn't. They are supporting their product. Very glad to see there are still some good companies out there that do stand behind their products and not their lawyers.

Sorry for the long post. People are quick to report negativity on the web. I wanted to take the time and share the details and give credit where its due.
    I suggest you guys to "SOUS VIDE" (slow cooking) your phones :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTHMtm06spU

Medium rare :cyclops:

So if some service center tells you it's a software( EDIT - I mean, hardware) issue like defective motherboard or something, they are full of it :eek:

My 2 cents

Cheers
    well, nothing worked. I managed to finally boot it though... in a freezer, just to find all my data was already erased. should've tried that first. shipping it to LG tomorrow.