• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Lg V20 H910 (up to 20h) (root, twrp, and more!) Noob guide!

Search This thread

the_R00ter

May 18, 2019
i am making this post because i have an lg v20 running 20h. there was no root guides available, so i decided to root mine using an older guide. it succeeded, but was very hard and time consuming. Being a noob at the time, i was also extremely nervous that i could possibly brick my phone or screw something up. i didn't, and no part of this should brick yours either. ***However - if you do somehow break your device in any way, that is on you. by completing these steps, you assume full responsibility. now that we have that out of the way, lets continue. at the end of this guide, you should have a rooted device with your choice of os (7 or 8 - or even a custom rom if you choose!). you should also have twrp. this guide would not have been possible without users runningnak3d and clsA
**** Also, during this Proccess, Your Phone WILL be wiped clean!!! don't forget to back up photos, videos, etc...*****

don't download any other files than from this guide.

1. download these files (required) https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/4578/H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz (for a rootable os that we can flash, - get this also (required) https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/how-to/guide-patch-lgup-to-unlock-features-t3652222 this program is called lg up and has been patched to work with this phone. you will also need this. https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262903990218. these are the root files and need to be all in the same folder as where lg up is installed. you will also need to have access to fastboot and need to have adb installed. that is pretty easy, give it a google search if you still need help.

if you are running 32 bit, get this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

this is the OS. get nougat, which has like three less steps (you can't upgrade to oreo on this os once rooted) or scroll down and get the oreo file. nougat (really old version) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S82HVNt2rAtXgBY499IBJnoCVFnpCf_X/view

Oreo - get this first file, and the ones under it. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262904015326
***https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=283977*** You have to have this file if getting oreo. if you chose nougat, then don't get this.

2. Now that you have everything downloaded and installed, put your phone into download mode. (power it off, hold the volume down button and plug in a usb c cable attached to your pc. don't stop holding volume down until you see download mode.)

3. once it is in download mode, open up lg up. select your device, (it should be in standby mode, according to lg up) and click dump (this is a total backup of the phone, you are lucky you know this right now, I didn't when i rooted mine) . it will bring up a file explorer, select where you want it to save to. (I chose my desktop). once you have a folder selected., it will bring up a bunch of options for partitions. click select all and uncheck user data. ****Make SURE that you don't unplug your phone during any part of this process or any other process in this guide, it will permanently brick it. ***** ow that you have selected everything but userdata, click start.

4. once that finishes, you will have made a full backup of your phone in case something goes wrong.
then click the partition DL button and select the h915 v10e kdz file (the file that i said was the rootable os we can flash) (the first file you downloaded). make sure bin file stays checked. then click start. once that finishes, your phone should automatically reboot into an old nougat operating system. then go to settings, enable developer options, and turn on usb debugging. that is easy, if you can't figure it out, google is your friend. now you should have no cellular signal. this is not the permanent ROM.

5. go to the play store and download terminal emulator for android. (once usb debugging has been enabled :)
then go ahead and go to the folder where you extracted the root files/package. hold shift and right click to open a command windows there or powershell, whatever your pc says. open 2 of those windows. then, in the first one, type, adb logcat -s dirtysanta
****don't close this window.*****
then in the other window, type STEP1.BAT
*****don't close this window.***** It may take a minute, but after a while it will let you type again. once you can, type run-as con
chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*

6. then, pull up the window you used the logcat command in. leave it there so you can watch it
then, on your phone, go to the terminal emulator and type applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
once you do that, glance at the logcat window. once it says to run step 2, go to the window where you typed step1.bat. type STEP2.BAT

at this point, your phone should go ahead and reboot and say fastboot mode up at the top. now, go to your window where you typed all the .bats and type STEP3.BAT. wait until your phone reboots and you will see a screen saying that you can;'t use your phone. this is bogus, just ignore it and wait like 10-15 seconds for it to get past that screen. then it will boot that android and you should get a green screen.
Now, quickly, pull the battery from your phone. leave it out for a little while while we prepare the next steps.
If you want oreo, scroll to where it says OREO in capital letters. if you want nougat, scroll to where it says NOUGAT.

NOUGAT
use the file that you downloaded if you selected nougat - it should be a zip. it will be called h910-10r. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE. place it on a pre formatted micro sd card. then, place the battery and sd card back in your phone. also, unplug the phone. then, hold down the volume down key and hold hold the power key. once you see the lg logo, release the power key and immediately hold the power key again. then, you should get a screen that asks if you want to reset your phone. use your volume keys to navigate and select yes, then again confirm it. then, after letting it reboot, it should go into twrp. once there, go to wipe\and select format data. then type yes to confirm. then, go back to the main screen and click wipe again. go ahead and click advanced and wipe your dalvik cache. once done, go to home screen and click install. select the select storage option down at the bottom and change to sd card. then find the h910 zip file and install it. then go ahead and reboot your phone, you will have a rooted android 7 rom. you will also have signal. then download supersu from the play store and open it to have root.

OREO
use the file that you downloaded if you selected oreo - it should be a zip. it will be called something along the lines of full stock oreo rooted. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE. place it on a pre formatted micro sd card. also, go to your root package folder and find the twrp image file and put that on your sd card. then go get the mk200 zip file and also place that on your sd card. then, place the battery and sd card back in your phone. also, unplug the phone. then, hold down the volume down key and hold hold the power key. once you see the lg logo, release the power key and immediately hold the power key again. then, you should get a screen that asks if you want to reset your phone. use your volume keys to navigate and select yes, then again confirm it. then, after letting it reboot, it should go into twrp. once there, go to wipe\and select format data. then type yes to confirm. then, go back to the main screen and click wipe again. go ahead and click advanced and wipe your dalvik cache. once done, go to home screen and click install. select the select storage option down at the bottom and change to sd card. then find the oreo full rooted zip and install it then, install the mk2000 file. after you have done this, click install image and select the twrp. the reason you need to re flash this is because that oreo file re installs the stock recovery. then install the twrp. now reboot your phone. you will have a rooted android 8 rom. you will also have signal. then download a magisk 6.0 manager apk from chrome browser to have root.

IF this worked and your enjoying root give me a thanks.:):):):):)

Last edited:

cnjax

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
This is redundant to the existing h910 root guide, all you did was copy their work and re-post it
Sent from my LG-H910 using XDA Labs

Last edited:

the_R00ter

May 18, 2019
This is redundant to the existing h910 root guide, all you did was copy their work and re-post it

Yes, that is why i gave them credit. However, It is more noob friendly and takes the time to explain what they are doing to their own phones as well as give them the option for nougat or oreo, something that none of the other guides have.

sderaps

Oct 14, 2015
Ok, so I did it sucessfully, it's was still very complicated for me as some info is vague for a beginner. But after searching and retrying, and retrying, it worked. but go to runningnak3d post to get more info, and he wanted me to use sd card to root, but that did not work for me.. Your method worked for me. Thanks

Last edited:

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
i am making this post because i have an lg v20 running 20h. there was no root guides available, so i decided to root mine using an older guide. it succeeded, but was very hard and time consuming....

your guide is good
+1 for for linking to the missing files from the old guide
+1 for mentioning me and @runningnak3d

you could break up the long paragraphs and bullet style the steps in order so it's easy to follow

theirs a video here of the steps and how the command windows should look > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRWnSHLGSc
this is where allot get confused in the guide.

I also don't remember you mentioning doing the battery pull after STEP1 when the phone sometimes hangs then run STEP2

I would also change the link to the H915 kdz to the android file host file in case LG changes it.

Their was a guy recently that could not get LGUP working you could make note that you may need the 32 bit VS 2010 > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Any how, the guide is OK and the steps are not that bad, after a few tries most anyone can learn it.

Reactions: bfcb and sderaps

the_R00ter

May 18, 2019
your guide is good

you could break up the long paragraphs and bullet style the steps in order so it's easy to follow

theirs a video here of the steps and how the command windows should look > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRWnSHLGSc

I also don't remember you mentioning doing the battery pull after STEP1 when the phone sometimes hangs then run STEP2

I would also change the link to the H915 kdz to the android file host file in case LG changes it.

Their was a guy recently that could not get LGUP working you could make note that you may need the 32 bit VS 2010 > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Any how, the guide is OK and the steps are not that bad, after a few tries most anyone can learn it.

alright, thank you so much for the advice! 1. i don't want to switch to bullets because when i was trying runningnak3d's guide, it seemed overwhelming. also people can comment on the step number that they were lost at. 2. i will change the kdz to something else if the file does change. i did in fact mention the battery pull step, if you ever need to find something in a page, hit control and f and then search the page.. i will add the 32 bit file. Thanks!

Hash-82

May 4, 2017
i am making this post because i have an lg v20 running 20h. there was no root guides available
. . .
this guide would not have been possible without users runningnak3d and clsA

W O W . . .
What a way to rip-off runningnak3d's guide.

I mean, I can understand rewriting it... I did the same. But, just to parse it out for me to follow better.
But your statement "...there was no root guides available..." is just BS.

Below is my guide... for me to do the process.
Creation date on the text file was November 7, 2017. Just over a week after runningnak3d made the original post.

Difference is, I didn't feel the need to post someone else's work, in an attempt to try claiming credit for it, due to nothing more than a "rewrite".

What you meant to do is this: (FIFY)
Cool guide for rooting your LG V20. Works for 20h, too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Materials:
8+GB microSD Card - formatted exFAT or ext4
LG Up (patched)
C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP <- install here, or it won't read DLL correctly
ADB
DirtySanta root package - (No working Link)
H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz - http://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/4578/H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz
h910-10r.zip - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S82HVNt2rAtXgBY499IBJnoCVFnpCf_X
- Check the SHA hash: 5451146030393e490dcfba3558b620badefe75cd
Terminal Emulator APK
Root Checker APK
Settings Database Editor APK

1) Copy h910-10r.zip, SuperSU-v2.82.ZIP, SuperSU.Pro.APK, Terminal Emulator, Root Checker, and Settings Database Editor to microSD Card and insert into phone.

2) Put phone into download mode (power off / hold vol. up & plug in USB cable)
Use LG UP to dump phone. When you run it, there will be additional radio buttons.
- Pick the one that says DUMP and click Start. You will be asked what partitions to dump, click the "select all" checkbox, and then you can uncheck "userdata".

3) When finished with the Dump, click the PARTITION DL radio button, pick the H915 v10e KDZ, and click start. Make sure all partitions are checked.
- Select H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz, Tick box to set as input file.
- Select all partitions
- Confirm all partition changes
- Once it is complete, phone will reboot into old Freedom Mobile ROM
- Disconnect USB Cable
- Complete Android setup, and you may not have signal (this is normal).
- Enable developer mode, and enable USB debugging.
- Enable Unknown Sources
- Connect USB Cable
- Make sure that your PC is authorized (tick always allow, and then OK).

4) Install Terminal Emulator for Android -- NOT Termux.

5) Extract root kit somewhere that you can run adb and fastboot from.

6) Open [2] Command Prompts in the directory containing ADB.EXE.
A) In first window, execute: adb logcat -s dirtysanta
B) In the secxond window, excute: STEP1.BAT
- Wait until prompt returns (several minutes)
C) Window 2: run-as con
D) Window 2: chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*
E) Open Terminal Emulator on phone, enter: applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
- Watch window 1. Wait for "Finished. Please run Step 2 now."
F) Window 2: "exit"
- Window 2. "exit" again.
- STEP2.BAT (adb reboot bootloader)
- Phone now shows FASTBOOT MODE
G) STEP3.BAT
- This flashes TWRP and WW 2.0 kernal
- Phone will reboot on completion

7) If phone reboots to Android, in Window 2 execute: adb reboot recovery
- If phone is stuck at secure start-up, pull battery and boot into TWRP (same as factory reset)

8) In TWRP:
A) Settings: UN-Check Enable Screen timeout
B) Format Data (type "yes" to proceed)
C) Wipe Cache & Dalvic Cache
D) Install (flash) h910-10r.zip
E) Install (flash) SuperSU-v2.82.zip
F) Format Data
G) Reboot Phone

Last edited:

SheMi363

Apr 25, 2020
Problem Occured:

I seem to have a problem at running this, "run-as con chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*" command.

the error i get is,
xelsa:/ $run-as con
chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*run-as con
run-as: Package 'con' is unknown

Help?

loriendesign

Jun 20, 2020
I seem to have a problem at running this, "run-as con chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*" command.

the error i get is,
xelsa:/ $run-as con
chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*run-as con
run-as: Package 'con' is unknown

Help?

This "run-as con chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*" actually is a two commands:
- first type "run-as con" and press ENTER
- second type "chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*" and press ENTER
Search in You Tube for "How to Root install TWRP for LG V20 H910 Edition!" from user NewTechBegins. This is very good video tutorial, step by step.

usukaz

Dec 18, 2009
Hello, so nothing happens for me after I enter the code into terminal emulator, what am I missing?

kenji187

Feb 28, 2013
After all these done I'm rebooted to secure start-up where I need to enter password. Tried my 4 digit VIN and didn't work. As suggested earlier in this thread I pulled battery and wipe everything and install Oreo_full_rooted.zip, mk2000, and TWRP 3.3.1-0. It boots up the same to the secure start-up.

I might have done differently in process.
1. H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz I downloaded did NOT match MD5 on its download page. Tried twice and it was the same. I went ahead and used it.
2. I ran into "adb server is out of date, killing.." message but was able to download an adbfix and somehow got through
3. STEP1.BAT and the rest of BAT were not accepted in Win10 powershell so I had to enter them by hand and it went smoothly with no error
4. I used twrp 3.3.1-0 as suggested in NewTechBegins' youtube clip
5. Phone boots into scramble messages like shattered warning sign before LG logo appeals. It will eventually enter twrp or secure start-up after some wait. Takes longer than it should, 5 minutes or so.
Wish to stay on Oreo but might try the 10R Rom if I have no other choice.

Please help.

(Secure start-up appeared the first time after step 3 where it was supposedly be a green screen and I can pull battery. It didn't. It went to secure start-up. I pulled battery anyways and rebooted into TWRP, I was asked to enter password again. After a few wrong attempts I was able to bypass it and enter TWRP to proceed with install)

edit: Eventually succeed by not installing TWRP after flashing OREO and MK2000. Rebooted into Secured Start-up again, pull battery and rebooted into FACTORY Recovery and deleted all user data from there. Rebooted and Android setup began.
Note: BE SURE TO FORMAT DATA AGAIN in TWRP after flashing OREO and MK2000 to have a clean start. Would be nice if it was mentioned in this tutorial.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaverickNextDoor

pakwarrior

Nov 23, 2019
i am making this post because i have an lg v20 running 20h. there was no root guides available, so i decided to root mine using an older guide. it succeeded, but was very hard and time consuming. Being a noob at the time, i was also extremely nervous that i could possibly brick my phone or screw something up. i didn't, and no part of this should brick yours either. ***However - if you do somehow break your device in any way, that is on you. by completing these steps, you assume full responsibility. now that we have that out of the way, lets continue. at the end of this guide, you should have a rooted device with your choice of os (7 or 8 - or even a custom rom if you choose!). you should also have twrp. this guide would not have been possible without users runningnak3d and clsA
**** Also, during this Proccess, Your Phone WILL be wiped clean!!! don't forget to back up photos, videos, etc...*****

1. download these files (required) https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/4578/H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz (for a rootable os that we can flash, - get this also (required) https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/how-to/guide-patch-lgup-to-unlock-features-t3652222 this program is called lg up and has been patched to work with this phone. you will also need this. https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262903990218. these are the root files and need to be all in the same folder as where lg up is installed. you will also need to have access to fastboot and need to have adb installed. that is pretty easy, give it a google search if you still need help.

if you are running 32 bit, get this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

this is the OS. get nougat, which has like three less steps (you can't upgrade to oreo on this os once rooted) or scroll down and get the oreo file. nougat (really old version) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S82HVNt2rAtXgBY499IBJnoCVFnpCf_X/view

Oreo - get this first file, and the ones under it. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262904015326
***https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=283977*** You have to have this file if getting oreo. if you chose nougat, then don't get this.

2. Now that you have everything downloaded and installed, put your phone into download mode. (power it off, hold the volume down button and plug in a usb c cable attached to your pc. don't stop holding volume down until you see download mode.)

3. once it is in download mode, open up lg up. select your device, (it should be in standby mode, according to lg up) and click dump (this is a total backup of the phone, you are lucky you know this right now, I didn't when i rooted mine) . it will bring up a file explorer, select where you want it to save to. (I chose my desktop). once you have a folder selected., it will bring up a bunch of options for partitions. click select all and uncheck user data. ****Make SURE that you don't unplug your phone during any part of this process or any other process in this guide, it will permanently brick it. ***** ow that you have selected everything but userdata, click start.

4. once that finishes, you will have made a full backup of your phone in case something goes wrong.
then click the partition DL button and select the h915 v10e kdz file (the file that i said was the rootable os we can flash) (the first file you downloaded). make sure bin file stays checked. then click start. once that finishes, your phone should automatically reboot into an old nougat operating system. then go to settings, enable developer options, and turn on usb debugging. that is easy, if you can't figure it out, google is your friend. now you should have no cellular signal. this is not the permanent ROM.

5. go to the play store and download terminal emulator for android. (once usb debugging has been enabled :)
then go ahead and go to the folder where you extracted the root files/package. hold shift and right click to open a command windows there or powershell, whatever your pc says. open 2 of those windows. then, in the first one, type, adb logcat -s dirtysanta
*****don't close this window.***** It may take a minute, but after a while it will let you type again. once you can, type run-as con

6. then, pull up the window you used the logcat command in. leave it there so you can watch it
then, on your phone, go to the terminal emulator and type applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
once you do that, glance at the logcat window. once it says to run step 2, go to the window where you typed step1.bat. type STEP2.BAT

at this point, your phone should go ahead and reboot and say fastboot mode up at the top. now, go to your window where you typed all the .bats and type STEP3.BAT. wait until your phone reboots and you will see a screen saying that you can;'t use your phone. this is bogus, just ignore it and wait like 10-15 seconds for it to get past that screen. then it will boot that android and you should get a green screen.
Now, quickly, pull the battery from your phone. leave it out for a little while while we prepare the next steps.
If you want oreo, scroll to where it says OREO in capital letters. if you want nougat, scroll to where it says NOUGAT.

NOUGAT
use the file that you downloaded if you selected nougat - it should be a zip. it will be called h910-10r. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE. place it on a pre formatted micro sd card. then, place the battery and sd card back in your phone. also, unplug the phone. then, hold down the volume down key and hold hold the power key. once you see the lg logo, release the power key and immediately hold the power key again. then, you should get a screen that asks if you want to reset your phone. use your volume keys to navigate and select yes, then again confirm it. then, after letting it reboot, it should go into twrp. once there, go to wipe\and select format data. then type yes to confirm. then, go back to the main screen and click wipe again. go ahead and click advanced and wipe your dalvik cache. once done, go to home screen and click install. select the select storage option down at the bottom and change to sd card. then find the h910 zip file and install it. then go ahead and reboot your phone, you will have a rooted android 7 rom. you will also have signal. then download supersu from the play store and open it to have root.

OREO
use the file that you downloaded if you selected oreo - it should be a zip. it will be called something along the lines of full stock oreo rooted. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE. place it on a pre formatted micro sd card. also, go to your root package folder and find the twrp image file and put that on your sd card. then go get the mk200 zip file and also place that on your sd card. then, place the battery and sd card back in your phone. also, unplug the phone. then, hold down the volume down key and hold hold the power key. once you see the lg logo, release the power key and immediately hold the power key again. then, you should get a screen that asks if you want to reset your phone. use your volume keys to navigate and select yes, then again confirm it. then, after letting it reboot, it should go into twrp. once there, go to wipe\and select format data. then type yes to confirm. then, go back to the main screen and click wipe again. go ahead and click advanced and wipe your dalvik cache. once done, go to home screen and click install. select the select storage option down at the bottom and change to sd card. then find the oreo full rooted zip and install it then, install the mk2000 file. after you have done this, click install image and select the twrp. the reason you need to re flash this is because that oreo file re installs the stock recovery. then install the twrp. now reboot your phone. you will have a rooted android 8 rom. you will also have signal. then download a magisk 6.0 manager apk from chrome browser to have root.

hey reply to me fast is it ok to flash h915 firmware in my h910 10I cuz already hard bricked the previous h918 motherboard cuz I don't know I accidentally flashed h990 firmware plz tell me also is it necessary to flash h915 in h910 to root and TWRP.

pakwarrior

Nov 23, 2019
Isn't that what it says in the OP?
Dont try to install h915 instead just try dirty santa method which will install temporary twrp recovery there install h910 20h pre rooted 8.0 rom and install mk2000 v2.2 kernel and install newer version of twrp and you are good to go
No bricking risk and nothing dont try to do corss flashing of h915 its not that accurate also there is model issue in crossflashing instead doing that do dirsty santa and install h910 20h simple

Reactions: MaverickNextDoor

jxsilicon9

Aug 13, 2013
Dont try to install h915 instead just try dirty santa method which will install temporary twrp recovery there install h910 20h pre rooted 8.0 rom and install mk2000 v2.2 kernel and install newer version of twrp and you are good to go
No bricking risk and nothing dont try to do corss flashing of h915 its not that accurate also there is model issue in crossflashing instead doing that do dirsty santa and install h910 20h simple
So how do you use dirty santa method for h910 20h? All the guides I've seen want you to crossflash.

pakwarrior

Nov 23, 2019
So how do you use dirty santa method for h910 20h? All the guides I've seen want you to crossflash.
I didn't do crossflashing i first installed twrp throught dirty santa which then you have to open from recovery then there is android 8.0 h910 stock rom pre rooted i used or you can use your custom rom to flash then there is an kernel mk2000 file also to flash from twrp after you installed new rom for fixing errors like static screen and like that thats it also if you flash android 8.0 stock of h910 rom you will get a password during booting process just attempt it wrongs for many trys wrotten on it until you see wipe the data prompt and you will factory reset your phone and its ready to go maybe you will be promoted to twrp so you have to factory reset through wipe option ok and you are good to go one thing do it only on h910 not other model there is 0% chance of hard bricking your phone if you did this and no signal problem
Also to understand more go a see my qna with author of this post in this post obviously ok or if you meed more help reply me i will text you

jxsilicon9

Aug 13, 2013
I didn't do crossflashing i first installed twrp throught dirty santa which then you have to open from recovery then there is android 8.0 h910 stock rom pre rooted i used or you can use your custom rom to flash then there is an kernel mk2000 file also to flash from twrp after you installed new rom for fixing errors like static screen and like that thats it also if you flash android 8.0 stock of h910 rom you will get a password during booting process just attempt it wrongs for many trys wrotten on it until you see wipe the data prompt and you will factory reset your phone and its ready to go maybe you will be promoted to twrp so you have to factory reset through wipe option ok and you are good to go one thing do it only on h910 not other model there is 0% chance of hard bricking your phone if you did this and no signal problem
Also to understand more go a see my qna with author of this post in this post obviously ok or if you meed more help reply me i will text you
Ok,you know where to get the latest firmware and files? Most dirtysanta tutorials bat have the downgrade added. How do I just add the twrp without the downgrade? Any dirtysanta bat and files?

Last edited:

pakwarrior

Nov 23, 2019
Ok,you know where to get the latest firmware and files? Most dirtysanta tutorials bat have the downgrade added. How do I just add the twrp without the downgrade? Any dirtysanta bat and files?
no no need to downgrade anything just find any video which says TWRP installation for LG v20 h910 dirty Santa and flash it but wait I seen in all zip files of dirty Santa there will a final step in that folder called step 3 that file is a batch file just open it in notepad and you will see there is written TWRP for I think us995 just rename it all of them to that name which TWRP in that folder ok for example if the name of the TWRP in dirty Santa folder is twrph910.img
you have to rewrite the same and exact name with .img in that batch file this ting will not tell any YouTuber or in the website cuz, I find it in curiosity and founded that the TWRP name was wrong so I just renamed it in that batch file and it worked before it it wasn't working also download the exact LG v20 h910 TWRP, not any other model TWRP or you will hard brick it man it feels so bad I one time hard bricked my LG next day I bought the device now I just sold it I change the mobo to LG h910 then I did all that root things and then I sell that phone no I have sony xz3 which is way better and have snapdragon 845 octa-core which is the thing I needed in just 135$ I found that it was japan model refurbished but has all things new and original like poled panel and stuff... well if you need more help just don't reply m on XDA you will not get the answer quickly here my social media account
discord: PAKWARRIOR#6115
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hafiz.saad.712161/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zero_saad_sixs/
reply me on that I am online all the time but not online on XDA all the time ok

Lgv20usr

Nov 23, 2021
Installed twrp no problem. Had installation issues (error 7) and edited the file. Tried it again and came up with error 1. Saw someone else on xda say to extract the boot img and mount to the recovery partition successfully. Welp, I guess I wasn't so lucky. I can not get into twrp recovery or any recovery and my v20 (910) boots into the Lg android splash screen. My desktop can not see any adb device but it registers a device being plugged in. What's the verdict, soft or hard bricked? Everything was cleared besides twrp prior to error 7 and 1.

Darnrain1

Jan 2, 2018
Installed twrp no problem. Had installation issues (error 7) and edited the file. Tried it again and came up with error 1. Saw someone else on xda say to extract the boot img and mount to the recovery partition successfully. Welp, I guess I wasn't so lucky. I can not get into twrp recovery or any recovery and my v20 (910) boots into the Lg android splash screen. My desktop can not see any adb device but it registers a device being plugged in. What's the verdict, soft or hard bricked? Everything was cleared besides twrp prior to error 7 and 1.
Re-flash the H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz with LG UP. And again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOUGAT

OREO

i am making this post because i have an lg v20 running 20h. there was no root guides available
    . . .
    this guide would not have been possible without users runningnak3d and clsA

W O W . . .
    What a way to rip-off runningnak3d's guide.

I mean, I can understand rewriting it... I did the same. But, just to parse it out for me to follow better.
    But your statement "...there was no root guides available..." is just BS.

Below is my guide... for me to do the process.
    Creation date on the text file was November 7, 2017. Just over a week after runningnak3d made the original post.

Difference is, I didn't feel the need to post someone else's work, in an attempt to try claiming credit for it, due to nothing more than a "rewrite".

What you meant to do is this: (FIFY)
    Cool guide for rooting your LG V20. Works for 20h, too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Materials:
    8+GB microSD Card - formatted exFAT or ext4
    LG Up (patched)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP <- install here, or it won't read DLL correctly
    ADB
    DirtySanta root package - (No working Link)
    H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz - http://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/4578/H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz
    h910-10r.zip - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S82HVNt2rAtXgBY499IBJnoCVFnpCf_X
    - Check the SHA hash: 5451146030393e490dcfba3558b620badefe75cd
    Terminal Emulator APK
    Root Checker APK
    Settings Database Editor APK

1) Copy h910-10r.zip, SuperSU-v2.82.ZIP, SuperSU.Pro.APK, Terminal Emulator, Root Checker, and Settings Database Editor to microSD Card and insert into phone.

2) Put phone into download mode (power off / hold vol. up & plug in USB cable)
    Use LG UP to dump phone. When you run it, there will be additional radio buttons.
    - Pick the one that says DUMP and click Start. You will be asked what partitions to dump, click the "select all" checkbox, and then you can uncheck "userdata".

3) When finished with the Dump, click the PARTITION DL radio button, pick the H915 v10e KDZ, and click start. Make sure all partitions are checked.
    - Select H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz, Tick box to set as input file.
    - Select all partitions
    - Confirm all partition changes
    - Once it is complete, phone will reboot into old Freedom Mobile ROM
    - Disconnect USB Cable
    - Complete Android setup, and you may not have signal (this is normal).
    - Enable developer mode, and enable USB debugging.
    - Enable Unknown Sources
    - Connect USB Cable
    - Make sure that your PC is authorized (tick always allow, and then OK).

4) Install Terminal Emulator for Android -- NOT Termux.

5) Extract root kit somewhere that you can run adb and fastboot from.

6) Open [2] Command Prompts in the directory containing ADB.EXE.
    A) In first window, execute: adb logcat -s dirtysanta
    B) In the secxond window, excute: STEP1.BAT
    - Wait until prompt returns (several minutes)
    C) Window 2: run-as con
    D) Window 2: chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*
    E) Open Terminal Emulator on phone, enter: applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta
    - Watch window 1. Wait for "Finished. Please run Step 2 now."
    F) Window 2: "exit"
    - Window 2. "exit" again.
    - STEP2.BAT (adb reboot bootloader)
    - Phone now shows FASTBOOT MODE
    G) STEP3.BAT
    - This flashes TWRP and WW 2.0 kernal
    - Phone will reboot on completion

7) If phone reboots to Android, in Window 2 execute: adb reboot recovery
    - If phone is stuck at secure start-up, pull battery and boot into TWRP (same as factory reset)

8) In TWRP:
    A) Settings: UN-Check Enable Screen timeout
    B) Format Data (type "yes" to proceed)
    C) Wipe Cache & Dalvic Cache
    D) Install (flash) h910-10r.zip
    E) Install (flash) SuperSU-v2.82.zip
    F) Format Data
    G) Reboot Phone

Yes, that is why i gave them credit. However, It is more noob friendly and takes the time to explain what they are doing to their own phones as well as give them the option for nougat or oreo, something that none of the other guides have.
    i am making this post because i have an lg v20 running 20h. there was no root guides available, so i decided to root mine using an older guide. it succeeded, but was very hard and time consuming....

your guide is good

After all these done I'm rebooted to secure start-up where I need to enter password. Tried my 4 digit VIN and didn't work. As suggested earlier in this thread I pulled battery and wipe everything and install Oreo_full_rooted.zip, mk2000, and TWRP 3.3.1-0. It boots up the same to the secure start-up.

I might have done differently in process.
    1. H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz I downloaded did NOT match MD5 on its download page. Tried twice and it was the same. I went ahead and used it.
    2. I ran into "adb server is out of date, killing.." message but was able to download an adbfix and somehow got through
    3. STEP1.BAT and the rest of BAT were not accepted in Win10 powershell so I had to enter them by hand and it went smoothly with no error
    4. I used twrp 3.3.1-0 as suggested in NewTechBegins' youtube clip
    5. Phone boots into scramble messages like shattered warning sign before LG logo appeals. It will eventually enter twrp or secure start-up after some wait. Takes longer than it should, 5 minutes or so.
    Wish to stay on Oreo but might try the 10R Rom if I have no other choice.

Please help.

(Secure start-up appeared the first time after step 3 where it was supposedly be a green screen and I can pull battery. It didn't. It went to secure start-up. I pulled battery anyways and rebooted into TWRP, I was asked to enter password again. After a few wrong attempts I was able to bypass it and enter TWRP to proceed with install)

edit: Eventually succeed by not installing TWRP after flashing OREO and MK2000. Rebooted into Secured Start-up again, pull battery and rebooted into FACTORY Recovery and deleted all user data from there. Rebooted and Android setup began.
    Note: BE SURE TO FORMAT DATA AGAIN in TWRP after flashing OREO and MK2000 to have a clean start. Would be nice if it was mentioned in this tutorial.