LG V20 Lithium Polymer vs Lithium-Ion batteries in 2019? Dangerous?

Search This thread

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Just to clarify the 5380 are other brands. Don't get those
I see, seems like ebay may be more consistent or reputable on picking up a legitimate Shenmz battery. It's strange on Amazon, they have the Shenmz brand, however they claim to be of varying mah capacities... none of them being 4380 mah, slightly deviating from it( a bit more, a bit less, etc.) yet still have the Shenmz branding on them... there's also " LCLEBM " brand on there as well, and they claim the standard 4380 mah's... many speculate that most of these batteries probably come from the same factory but just have a different sticker on them... who knows?

Mysticblaze347

Jun 12, 2018
I see, seems like ebay may be more consistent or reputable on picking up a legitimate Shenmz battery. It's strange on Amazon, they have the Shenmz brand, however they claim to be of varying mah capacities... none of them being 4380 mah, slightly deviating from it( a bit more, a bit less, etc.) yet still have the Shenmz branding on them... there's also " LCLEBM " brand on there as well, and they claim the standard 4380 mah's... many speculate that most of these batteries probably come from the same factory but just have a different sticker on them... who knows?
I think the ebay legit sellers name is aexpower... https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-LG-V20...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Last edited:

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ

Thanks for passing that link a long. I saw that ebayer while I was browsing, there's a seller on Amazon using that same handle, "aexpower", made me wonder, however the batteries on Amazon state a slightly different capacity ( 4420 MAH's ), which also makes me question it... hah.. if I get the chance, maybe I can pick up one of each and gauge them on accubattery, we'll see... I just got so fed up with fake OEM batteries swelling up after a short time.

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
I'm also looking for a new battery in 2021. I didn't want to start a new thread since there seems to be quite a few out there. It's just my hypothesis, but seems like either the V20's hardware circuitry was inefficiently designed and has a leak and/or there is some proprietary things running in the background be it on the stock rom or in the firmware (telemetry is often there).

Whatever it is, I noticed that the V20 seems to drain even when powered off or on airplane mode, abnormally faster than other devices. I am running on the stock rom.

Any how, anyone have good success with an aftermarket battery? I looked at Shenmz's 4400mah(around there) battery and see lots of mixed reviews. But it would be great to hear from someone on here who might have some long term experience with the product... most product reviews are from people who only used it for a few weeks.
Before the MAXXXJUICE website temporarily closed because of the pandemic, I was able to order 2 batteries from them along with 1 Perfine battery from Amazon, and 1 Perfine battery from eBay. I can honestly tell you that I was constantly getting more than 6 hours of on-screen time with either battery. I would forget to disconnect my phone overnight when charging sometimes, and I never had any accidents. The way I could tell that the batteries I was buying were probably the last good batteries available for the V20, is that both brands claimed 4100mah and that seemed to be accurate when testing with the AccuBattery and GSam Battery apps while being rooted; that's the capacity that I tested would "just barely" lay flush on the back of the phone without popping-off the battery cover. The batteries that claimed to have 4100mah but would fit perfectly without any force back would only give me 4-5 hours at best. I see a lot of 3300mah, 4420mah, 4390mah, and 4380mah batteries now which I'm sure work fine, but I'm sure it's a trial and error situation since they might be only switching labels; 4380mah vs 4390mah? That seems like a marketing stunt.

As of May 2021 though I finally moved on to a galaxy Note 10 plus; seeing how "good reliable batteries" were starting to get harder to find. The performance of the V20 has "a lot" to do with the battery, and it might even reboot or slow down the phone if something is wrong with the battery. After 4 years of using the V20 (rooted, debloated, and with a custom kernel) I used to think the phone used up too much battery running tasks in the background; I lose almost 6% with the Note 10 plus on Wi-Fi overnight not doing anything so it's not just the V20. I think it's just the nature of newer apps, they require internet more and more everyday, so the old outdated operating system of the V20 just doesn't do as well as before. I would replace the thermal paste on my V20 every year, and it is still night and day compared to how "cool" the Note 10 plus runs. LG's "Official" Android 9 or 10 would've given me another year with my V20, but unfortunately LineageOS is all there is; voLTE isn't available for the V20 on LineageOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssnova

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Before the MAXXXJUICE website temporarily closed because of the pandemic, I was able to order 2 batteries from them along with 1 Perfine battery from Amazon, and 1 Perfine battery from eBay. I can honestly tell you that I was constantly getting more than 6 hours of on-screen time with either battery. I would forget to disconnect my phone overnight when charging sometimes, and I never had any accidents. The way I could tell that the batteries I was buying were probably the last good batteries available for the V20, is that both brands claimed 4100mah and that seemed to be accurate when testing with the AccuBattery and GSam Battery apps while being rooted; that's the capacity that I tested would "just barely" lay flush on the back of the phone without popping-off the battery cover. The batteries that claimed to have 4100mah but would fit perfectly without any force back would only give me 4-5 hours at best. I see a lot of 3300mah, 4420mah, 4390mah, and 4380mah batteries now which I'm sure work fine, but I'm sure it's a trial and error situation since they might be only switching labels; 4380mah vs 4390mah? That seems like a marketing stunt.

As of May 2021 though I finally moved on to a galaxy Note 10 plus; seeing how "good reliable batteries" were starting to get harder to find. The performance of the V20 has "a lot" to do with the battery, and it might even reboot or slow down the phone if something is wrong with the battery. After 4 years of using the V20 (rooted, debloated, and with a custom kernel) I used to think the phone used up too much battery running tasks in the background; I lose almost 6% with the Note 10 plus on Wi-Fi overnight not doing anything so it's not just the V20. I think it's just the nature of newer apps, they require internet more and more everyday, so the old outdated operating system of the V20 just doesn't do as well as before. I would replace the thermal paste on my V20 every year, and it is still night and day compared to how "cool" the Note 10 plus runs. LG's "Official" Android 9 or 10 would've given me another year with my V20, but unfortunately LineageOS is all there is; voLTE isn't available for the V20 on LineageOS.
Thanks for sharing your experience on aftermarket batteries with the V20.

I hear you on the lack of VOLTE in aftermarket support for the V20, it's a shame LG never unlocked it. It's still an excellent device to me. Even without using it as a phone, it's a great music player and universal remote (glad it has an IR blaster, I actually use it). I'm also very grateful that you can easily swap out batteries, despite it being hard to find a decent battery replacement, still something I'm thankful for... I used to call it, "one of the last greatest smartphones ever made" ... despite it's shortcomings, they just don't make devices with such features these days.

Reactions: Merazomo

Merazomo

Aug 14, 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience on aftermarket batteries with the V20.

I hear you on the lack of VOLTE in aftermarket support for the V20, it's a shame LG never unlocked it. It's still an excellent device to me. Even without using it as a phone, it's a great music player and universal remote (glad it has an IR blaster, I actually use it). I'm also very grateful that you can easily swap out batteries, despite it being hard to find a decent battery replacement, still something I'm thankful for... I used to call it, "one of the last greatest smartphones ever made" ... despite it's shortcomings, they just don't make devices with such features these days.
It's a great device; AT&T's variant will still support voLTE on AT&T's network even after 2022 when 3G goes away; however, T-Mobile's variant will be dropped in 2022 even though the phone is more than capable. You will be finding a lot of cheap T-Mobile media devices in a few months on eBay; IR blaster, removable battery, and Hi-Fi Quad DAC headphone jack.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssnova

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Just an update, I ended picking up a Shenmz 4390 Mah off of Amazon due to convenience. I'm still testing it out and will need a few runs to see what the real mah is, but so far I'm impressed, noticeably longer lasting than the OEM rated batteries, in addition, the v20 seems more responsive-less laggy, I'm guessing because it's maintaining the proper voltage throughout useage.

Also wanted to mention that it's a few slivers thicker than stock but I did not have problems snapping the back plate securely.

I'll try and give an update after a couple weeks or so.

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
Just an update, I ended picking up a Shenmz 4390 Mah off of Amazon due to convenience. I'm still testing it out and will need a few runs to see what the real mah is, but so far I'm impressed, noticeably longer lasting than the OEM rated batteries, in addition, the v20 seems more responsive-less laggy, I'm guessing because it's maintaining the proper voltage throughout useage.

Also wanted to mention that it's a few slivers thicker than stock but I did not have problems snapping the back plate securely.

I'll try and give an update after a couple weeks or so.
I have a Shenmz from over a year ago and there's no noticeable degradation.

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
I have a Shenmz from over a year ago and there's no noticeable degradation.

That's encouraging to hear. I got mine from Amazon, the 3rd party seller was Conqto with a claimed capacity of 4390 Mah's, I didn't see such a Shenmz battery else where, but I picked it up anyways since it was more convenient than ebay.

I've only charged the battery twice so far, thus I was hesitant to give an update, but thus far it's holding up much better than any other battery I've experienced. It will only lose about 5% an evening on idle, if that. Though it's too early to tell what the actual capacity is right now(I need more cycles) Accubattery estimates 3947.7 mah's for now (that's with only 2 charge cycles, 1st I plugged it in at 9%, 2nd time I ran the phone until it powered off before plugging it in to charge).

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Another update, after my 3rd drain and recharge from shutdown, Accubattery gauges the battery at: 3,896.6 mah's. Accubattery started counting when repowered about 2%.

So I guess, at this point at least, seems like the Shenmz battery I got from Amazon isn't the real deal. Though I will say it's still better than any other battery OEM battery I've tried (other than the one it came with, I think the other OEM's I received from ebay were grey market). This "Shenmz" battery is longer lasting and more stable at least, although it doesn't gauge to around 4200mah's like a real one should.

Last edited:

ssnova

Mar 25, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Shenmz 4380mAh from 2021 here Battery here is year old at this point it has swollen to the point the back will not stay on.
That's the frustrating thing... From what I understand that shouldn't be happening with a true Lion Polymer battery.

I'm still using my Shenmz battery... however, it does seem the capacity has diminished and it drains on idle noticeably faster.

It seems rather difficult to find an decent battery for the V20... I wish I picked up a "Zero Lemon" extended battery when I had the chance, I believe those were of decent quality(though only a long term owner could verify).

There still seems to be a ton of refurbished V20's coming out of China on ebay(sold as "new"... I got one but clearly it was refurbished, hack job assembled parts, decent overall, but still noticeable that the pieces were not perfectly aligned). What I'm getting at is.. there seems to still be a market plenty of these phones out there so the demand for accessories is still there.

Hopefully someone decides to make a decent battery. For what it's worth, I purchased a 2022 Shemnz "4600 mah" battery, it'll come in a few weeks, so we'll see...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been reading some great things about LG V20 batteries such as the "Perfine 4100mAh" and the "SHENMZ 4200mAh" mainly, not only because of the great battery improvement, but because it seems you don't have to sacrifice the original battery cover since the batteries might just fit without getting an extended battery cover. On the other hand, they seem to be Lithium Polymer batteries. I have the bad habit of leaving my LG V20 charging overnight as I always lose a good 8% battery life during the night if I don't. I've never had a problem with the OEM battery in terms of overheating or anything of that sort when leaving it charging.

Does anybody who has a Lithium Polymer battery on their LG V20 leave their phones charging overnight? I've heard it's a no-no with Lithium Polymer batteries, but they're definitely the future in terms of giving new life to the LG V20. I just want to know what to look for as it's not necessary and smart I'm sure to leave the phone charging for too long; however, that's what some people do.

Are those batteries a great improvement over a regular Lithium-Ion battery based on experience?
    I have been using these batteries since last December, and when it comes to charging and heat, I haven't noticed anything that's different from the OEM batteries.
    While I don't remember ever charging my phone overnight (my battery level doesn't get low until past the middle of the second day, and I mostly just swap batteries), I have charged the battery in the OEM external charger overnight several times before (you could do it outdoors first if you're scared), and it acted just like any other battery in there: the light turns green when charging is complete, and the heat stops.

As for how much better than the OEM batteries they are in terms of battery life, it's a significant step up. Plenty of people (including myself) have reported their findings on the V20 Subreddit.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the modern phones actually have these types of batteries inside them.
    I think the ebay legit sellers name is aexpower... https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-LG-V20...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
    Thanks for the feedback. Out of Curiosity, where did you purchase your Shenmz from? Ebay as well?
    Just to clarify the 5380 are other brands. Don't get those
    Do these fit with the standard back panel?
    Yeah...they r original slim size