LG V30+ (LG-US998) not able to update OTA

Search This thread

tobeburned

Jun 5, 2019
I picked up a new in box factory unlocked LG V30+ (LG-US998) on Amazon pretty cheap in December. What I didn't realize it that it is just running android 7.1.2 not 8 which I believe is the most current version available. I bought the unlocked version to avoid all the AT&T bloatware, but now I'm realizing it won't update OTA to the newest OS and is probably behind on security updates. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the phone to update OTA. I'm not interested in a custom rom or any of that, so if that means I need to flash the AT&T stock rom (with their bloatware) that's fine. I just want the phone to get OTA updates. I tried using the LG software to update it and it doesn't recognize the phone.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I picked up a new in box factory unlocked LG V30+ (LG-US998) on Amazon pretty cheap in December. What I didn't realize it that it is just running android 7.1.2 not 8 which I believe is the most current version available. I bought the unlocked version to avoid all the AT&T bloatware, but now I'm realizing it won't update OTA to the newest OS and is probably behind on security updates. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the phone to update OTA. I'm not interested in a custom rom or any of that, so if that means I need to flash the AT&T stock rom (with their bloatware) that's fine. I just want the phone to get OTA updates. I tried using the LG software to update it and it doesn't recognize the phone.
You just need to update to latest US998 KDZ via software called LGUP.

See link below. You want steps 4 and 5. ;)

FRANKENSTEIN INSTRUCTIONS
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76510671&postcount=168

Yes, those instructions are for converting to US998 -- but steps 4 and 5 still apply to someone just wanting to update US998 to most current firmware.

Install LGUP, download latest US998 KDZ (links provided), flash via Update mode. Easy.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

An even better answer:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/help/lg-v30-oreo-t3831950

Just go to the US998 Oreo KDZ thread, install the LGUP attached there and download latest KDZ to update. Install via "Upgrade" mode in LGUP.

Last edited:
Reactions: tech_infinity

tobeburned

Jun 5, 2019
An even better answer:

Just go to the US998 Oreo KDZ thread, install the LGUP attached there and download latest KDZ to update. Install via "Upgrade" mode in LGUP.

I read through but I'm a bit unsure of what I need to do. Do I need to unlock the bootloader or root it? I'm not interested in rooting it. Do I just download US99820h_00_0318.kdz and use the patched LGUP to install / flash it to my phone? I'm not sure where to get the proper patched version of LGUP to do this.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I read through but I'm a bit unsure of what I need to do. Do I need to unlock the bootloader or root it? I'm not interested in rooting it.

No, this update to current firmware has nothing to do with bootloader unlock and root.

Do I just download US99820h_00_0318.kdz and use the patched LGUP to install / flash it to my phone?

Yes, that's exactly what you do. It's like a manual OTA. You have the file, you use Upgrade mode with Dev Patched LGUP (which is more powerful than stock LGUP).

I'm not sure where to get the proper patched version of LGUP to do this.

It's attached to post #1 of the US998 KDZ thread. You download it from there, and there's also link to download US998 20H KDZ.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/development/us998-lg-v30-us998-us99820a040330-kdz-t3786337

Last edited:

hellodmo

Mar 6, 2018
I had this same issue with my phone... Wouldn't ever get OTA updates... Honestly, the easiest way to get updates outside the kdz and lgup is to use the twrp stock builds. They're stock V30, you can get them without bloatware (US-998), and updating them is a piece of cake once you know what you're doing... In my case, the lack of updates seemed to have something to do with the fact that my device was somehow a Sprint device, blah blah blah....

Anyways, TWRP stock builds is the way to go... I'm currently running the Tmobile stock build and it's fine and does whatever I need it to... I like it better than custom

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I had this same issue with my phone... Wouldn't ever get OTA updates... Honestly, the easiest way to get updates outside the kdz and lgup is to use the twrp stock builds. They're stock V30, you can get them without bloatware (US-998), and updating them is a piece of cake once you know what you're doing... In my case, the lack of updates seemed to have something to do with the fact that my device was somehow a Sprint device, blah blah blah....

Anyways, TWRP stock builds is the way to go... I'm currently running the Tmobile stock build and it's fine and does whatever I need it to... I like it better than custom
But they don't want to unlock bootloader and root, so I'm telling them the easy LGUP Upgrade mode method with latest US998 KDZ.

I agree TWRP flashable zip is fantastic. I use it, but for my wife's phone which is not bootloader unlocked or rooted (and my sister's phone also), the LGUP/KDZ method is where they need. ;)

I read through but I'm a bit unsure of what I need to do. Do I need to unlock the bootloader or root it? I'm not interested in rooting it.

No, this LGUP update to current firmware KDZ has nothing to do with bootloader unlock and root.

Last edited:

tobeburned

Jun 5, 2019
But they don't want to unlock bootloader and root, so I'm telling them the easy LGUP Upgrade mode method with latest US998 KDZ.

I agree TWRP flashable zip is fantastic. I use it, but for my wife's phone which is not bootloader unlocked or rooted (and my sister's phone also), the LGUP/KDZ method is where they need. ;)

No, this LGUP update to current firmware KDZ has nothing to do with bootloader unlock and root.

I hate to resurrect such an old post, but I never got around to doing this. Now that the quarantine is in place I have time. Is there a newer version of the kdz that I should use (probably Pie)? I'm guessing there's a newer version of LGUP (modified) as well?

Let me make sure I understand this too. I can use the modified version of LGUP to flash the newer kdz to my phone using the "upgrade" option and it keeps all the data currently on my phone, right? If later I wanted to do a factory reset on my phone, that would wipe the data but still retain the newer kdz that was installed, correct?

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I hate to resurrect such an old post, but I never got around to doing this. Now that the quarantine is in place I have time. Is there a newer version of the kdz that I should use (probably Pie)? I'm guessing there's a newer version of LGUP (modified) as well?

Let me make sure I understand this too. I can use the modified version of LGUP to flash the newer kdz to my phone using the "upgrade" option and it keeps all the data currently on my phone, right? If later I wanted to do a factory reset on my phone, that would wipe the data but still retain the newer kdz that was installed, correct?

For US998, I only recommend updating to last Oreo 20h. I'm rooted, still on that. My wife, mother, sister, brother in law who are all NOT Bootloader Unlocked/Rooted are all still on that, also.

The one US998 Pie KDZ we received is very wonky. It's technically for U.S. Cellular. LG never released Pie KDZ for Open Market. Charging is slower, other things broken if you use other carriers.

Many people find it hard to update to, and if you have problems most of the workarounds depend on having TWRP.

I strongly recommend stable last Oreo 20h.

Yes, there is newer version of Dev Patched LGUP. I have it posted in the US998 Oreo and Pie KDZ threads, as well as Frankenstein.

Yes, if the use Upgrade mode you keep your data as long as you are already on earlier same firmware, in this case US998.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You just need to update to latest US998 KDZ via software called LGUP.

See link below. You want steps 4 and 5. ;)

FRANKENSTEIN INSTRUCTIONS
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76510671&postcount=168

Yes, those instructions are for converting to US998 -- but steps 4 and 5 still apply to someone just wanting to update US998 to most current firmware.

Install LGUP, download latest US998 KDZ (links provided), flash via Update mode. Easy.

An even better answer:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone