• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG V30 with Android PIE 9.0

Search This thread

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
Very very very very doubtful its official LG, especially because its the US variant, first all korean variants will get the update, and then, some time later the others will

Reactions: BROKEN1981

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
We're supposed to get Pie in Q1 of 2019 according to LG.

But I wouldn't hold your breath. They certainly won't release it before that time.
Where does LG say that? They never give a timeline or date prediction that I've seen. Don't trust various sites stating when they predict LG will give Pie.

Also, first ones to get PIE we'll be Korean carrier variants -- yeah, possibly Q1 2019... But everyone else will be months after that. Will be at least Q2 for rest of us, just like Oreo earlier this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNerd

TPMJB

Jun 28, 2010
www.blackcats-games.net
Where does LG say that? They never give a timeline or date prediction that I've seen. Don't trust various sites stating when they think LG will give Pie.

Also, first ones to get PIE we'll be Korean carrier variants -- yeah, possibly Q1 2019... But everyone else will be months after that. Will be at least Q2, just like Oreo earlier this year.
Someone posted a source that cited LG in some other thread. I forget. I thought it was a legit source, but I could be mistaken

Snip3rPolska

I decide to e-mail to LG with knowledge that they not gonna tell me truth and see what they said :laugh: Anyway Im changing phone soon so for me they can do what they want.. Soo long we had to wait for Oreo.. Samsung Huawei Nokia etc have Pie already but LG decide to do 3 more phones instead of sustem update.. Maybe in 2019 they will say something official..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-30-02-28-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-11-30-02-28-02.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 2,769

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
I decide to e-mail to LG with knowledge that they not gonna tell me truth and see what they said :laugh: Anyway Im changing phone soon so for me they can do what they want.. Soo long we had to wait for Oreo.. Samsung Huawei Nokia etc have Pie already but LG decide to do 3 more phones instead of sustem update.. Maybe in 2019 they will say something official..

The tech support usually, even if they would have the information (which by far isnt always the case, who would give some confidential information to basically the lowest people in the hirachy?), not allowed to tell that anyone.
Thats the sad thing about that :/

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Where does LG say that? They never give a timeline or date prediction that I've seen. Don't trust various sites stating when they predict LG will give Pie.

Also, first ones to get PIE we'll be Korean carrier variants -- yeah, possibly Q1 2019... But everyone else will be months after that. Will be at least Q2 for rest of us, just like Oreo earlier this year.

Just like I said -- by end of 2nd quarter for V30. I KNEW that was the plan! See here:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...dule-for-south-korea-v35-and-v40-are-up-next/
Android 9 Pie started rolling out to the Korean G7 today, but other models will have to wait longer. LG's schedule says the V35 will also get Pie in Q1 2019 (which ends March 31), but the V40, V30, and V30S will have to wait until Q2 2019 (ends on June 30). The G6, V20, and Q8 are expected to receive Pie in Q3, and the Q9 and X5 will get it by the end of the year.

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
Just like I said -- by end of 2nd quarter for V30. I KNEW that was the plan! See here:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...dule-for-south-korea-v35-and-v40-are-up-next/

G7, V35 and V40 are soooooo similiar, hardware wise, software probably isnt that different either...
You can use the V40 vendor partition on a G7... (just camera and so will have problems)
How do they manage to get there such delays... I surely wonder what they "engineers" there are doing all day long...

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
G7, V35 and V40 are soooooo similiar, hardware wise, software probably isnt that different either...
You can use the V40 vendor partition on a G7... (just camera and so will have problems)
How do they manage to get there such delays... I surely wonder what they "engineers" there are doing all day long...
Marketing? Why rush to update the "old" models when you are struggling to sell the new ones.
Or was that a rhetorical question? :p

drone991

Nov 16, 2013
Vadodara
It's about time LG should realise that just stamping out new phones with 10 different variants isn't gonna do anything for them. With the G8 coming out soon I doubt the V30 will even be getting any security updates after the pie rollout. No cutting edge hardware is any good if it's running 2 year old software. It's one thing to treat mid tier or budget devices this way but even to your flagships, that's like axing your own foot. With the 90day security update criteria to be in the so called 'android enterprise recommended' program, LG is just doing the bare minimum so that they don't lose a marketing opportunity.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
It's about time LG should realise that just stamping out new phones with 10 different variants isn't gonna do anything for them. With the G8 coming out soon I doubt the V30 will even be getting any security updates after the pie rollout. No cutting edge hardware is any good if it's running 2 year old software. It's one thing to treat mid tier or budget devices this way but even to your flagships, that's like axing your own foot. With the 90day security update criteria to be in the so called 'android enterprise recommended' program, LG is just doing the bare minimum so that they don't lose a marketing opportunity.

But there is a specific time period (duration) they have to give those updates. "Knowledge workers" classification is 3 years. "Rugged workers" (construction use, etc) is 5 years. V30 is 3 years for updates.

https://bayton.org/docs/enterprise-mobility/android/what-is-android-enterprise-recommended/

https://www.androidcentral.com/android-enterprise-recommended

Last edited:

drone991

Nov 16, 2013
Vadodara
But there is a specific time period (duration) they have to give those updates. "Knowledge workers" classification is 3 years. "Rugged workers" (construction use, etc) is 5 years. V30 is 3 years for updates.

https://bayton.org/docs/enterprise-mobility/android/what-is-android-enterprise-recommended/

https://www.androidcentral.com/android-enterprise-recommended

Yeah but V30 was launched in sept'17 and completes it's 3 years sept'20. Since LG takes about an year to rollout the updates(pie released aug'18 and it'll positively be Q3'19 before all V30 variants receive the update) even if the next android version releases in Q3 this year I highly doubt we'll get another software upgrade release within that 3 year time frame.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah but V30 was launched in sept'17 and completes it's 3 years sept'20. Since LG takes about an year to rollout the updates(pie released aug'18 and it'll positively be Q3'19 before all V30 variants receive the update) even if the next android version releases in Q3 this year I highly doubt we'll get another software upgrade release within that 3 year time frame.

Yes, Pie will be the last letter upgrade and will start arriving Q2 2019 and continue into Q3 2019. Security updates will continue for at least a full year after that.

However, I was referring to this comment:

I doubt the V30 will even be getting any security updates after the pie rollout.

Security updates will continue to Q3 2020 and possibly Q2 2021 -- depending on definition of the starting line. Oreo was needed to even be in the Enterprise Recommended program, and we didn't get Oreo and the 90-day updates until Q2 2018.

Last edited:

ern88

Oct 27, 2009
Halifax, NS
The V30 will be the first and last LG smart phone I will buy. I'll stick to Google or Samsung next go. But no more LG. Lucky to get one major android update.

Reactions: Snip3rPolska

Jude Dabare

May 2, 2018
Anyone got pie update or security patch for LG H930DS?

Has anyone received a security patch update after AUG 2018 for LG H930DS? And has anyone received the pie update? and when do you guys think we will get it? For the H930DS Indian Version..

Top Liked Posts