• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

LG V40 Sprint Convert to V40 Unlocked

Search This thread

patato21

Jun 27, 2015
Well from Qualcomm firstly... Read a bit more about Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit and good luck on SIM unlocking!

I believe Qualcomm is referring to SIMs and Banking Card data being stored on the Secure Processing Unit (SPU) separately from everything else. This would be like an eSIM which I believe is only used on Pixel phones at the moment. There's no LG phone with eSIM support at the moment, though they could have implemented it. Google has Project Hermes for their Chromebooks and seems similar.

As I said earlier, G7 and V35 phones have been unlocked by crossflashing with unlocked firmware on LGUP. The V40 can't work on LGUP, and Octoplus box is not properly erasing the old modem calibrations and data.

My take is that freedom will be taken away from consumers with eSIMs, because unlocking will be a pain, and because the user can't control when and how they connect to a network. It would be like the annoying message by LG "Your phone needs a SIM card to work". Not to mention being tracked and traced by Big Brother.

vlad48

Oct 1, 2007
LG V35
Sadly you are wrong - neither operator SIM locked V35 nor G7 can be SIM unlocked via cross - flashing SIM lock flag is persistent and it is checked and written on every boot on partition level.
LG pays for this security feature and it is enabled on all SD845 chip devices and later the only exclusion is made only for engineering models on which this sec fuse is blown-off and they can be used for quick swap and SIM unlock - that is how Chinese sellers are performing SIM unlock, but the trade of is IMEI full with 0-es...
Regarding e-sim support as far as I played around with OP partitions form all G7, V35 and V40 I can only confirm that this option is included in settings and can be easily enabled...

rjcarter3

Oct 9, 2010
Best way to work with him is via telegram. I've had good experiences with him. My v40 is unlocked and rooted.

My Sprint V40 arrives in a couple of days, and I'm interested in getting this done if you wouldn't mind answering some questions:

Does unlocking your bootloader disable OTA updates or will it just wipe out root if you do?
Is root permanent, or will resetting to factory defaults wipe it out?
Are you running CWM/TWRP? If you're still running the LG bootloader, how/can you flash other roms if/when they're developed - by using LGUP or some such?
I'm not familiar with telegram - is Motogvasyag also his handle on there, or how do I contact him? How much did he charge you?

Thanks in advance.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos
My Sprint V40 arrives in a couple of days, and I'm interested in getting this done if you wouldn't mind answering some questions:

Does unlocking your bootloader disable OTA updates or will it just wipe out root if you do?
Is root permanent, or will resetting to factory defaults wipe it out?
Are you running CWM/TWRP? If you're still running the LG bootloader, how/can you flash other roms if/when they're developed - by using LGUP or some such?
I'm not familiar with telegram - is Motogvasyag also his handle on there, or how do I contact him? How much did he charge you?

Thanks in advance.

https://t.me/joinchat/JSGnZBZDPVECT_zLddOC7A join us and you will get your answers

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

please share me the LGUP file for lg v40

if you look in page one or 2 you will see that he got lucky and used the V30 dll for the patched LGUP and it worked...i also tried it but no dice, he may have been on day one firmware as opposed to me that has the latest Oreo update

nguyenvantuc

Apr 9, 2016
https://t.me/joinchat/JSGnZBZDPVECT_zLddOC7A join us and you will get your answers

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

if you look in page one or 2 you will see that he got lucky and used the V30 dll for the patched LGUP and it worked...i also tried it but no dice, he may have been on day one firmware as opposed to me that has the latest Oreo update
i have v40 but androi 9,i want to downgrade 8.1

argenisdelorbe

Oct 28, 2019
I'm assuming he either has access to the latest LGUP (1.16) that supports the V40 along with the .msi/DLLs needed, or has access to LG Flash Tool with the hard to find V40 DLL for the flash tool.

Either way, instructions aren't going to get posted from what I can see.

That's awesome though, have fun with that! :)

ya salió la versión 2.9.7 de octuplus lg se puede fechar el modelo de sprint v405UA , el software de verizon es el mas conpatible con el de sprint. ??

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
ya salió la versión 2.9.7 de octuplus lg se puede fechar el modelo de sprint v405UA , el software de verizon es el mas conpatible con el de sprint. ??

argenisdelorbe,

Per the forum rules all posts on XDA must be in the English language:
4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities, not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English, use an online translator. You're free to include your original message in your own language, below the English translation. (This rule covers your posts, profile entries and signature). You could try :- https://translate.google.com/ or https://www.babelfish.com/ or use one of your choice.

argenisdelorbe

Oct 28, 2019
lg v40

version 2.9.7 of octoplus lg has already been released, the sprint v405UA model can be loaded, the verizon software is the most compatible with that of sprint. ??

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

And what? :))
Now you have a two changes - no OTA and no bloatware.
That's all.

version 2.9.7 of octoplus lg has already been released, the sprint v405UA model can be loaded, the verizon software is the most compatible with that of sprint. ??

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Ehhh, i would say US unlocked since Profile and PRL updates would still be under the system update tab, where as if you flash any other it version to the Sprint v40 it looses these options....

cochran069

Feb 12, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ehhh, i would say US unlocked since Profile and PRL updates would still be under the system update tab, where as if you flash any other it version to the Sprint v40 it looses these options....

i really enjoyed reading about the technology and security of the particular phone, but i want to asked what happened with this phone can cross flash unlock the sim? at this time in 2020

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
What version V40 did you have unlocked?

It get's confusing, when people don't specify, do you mean 1) unlocked bootloader OR 2) unlocked sim?????

answer:
1) you can unlock the bootloader yourself (any version EXCEPT t-mobile), or you can have vlad do it (any version EXCEPT t-mobile).

2) you, nor anyone, can unlock the sim, only the carrier can unlock the sim on a V40.

cheers

Kakanman

Nov 27, 2020
Sadly you are wrong - neither operator SIM locked V35 nor G7 can be SIM unlocked via cross - flashing SIM lock flag is persistent and it is checked and written on every boot on partition level.
LG pays for this security feature and it is enabled on all SD845 chip devices and later the only exclusion is made only for engineering models on which this sec fuse is blown-off and they can be used for quick swap and SIM unlock - that is how Chinese sellers are performing SIM unlock, but the trade of is IMEI full with 0-es...
Regarding e-sim support as far as I played around with OP partitions form all G7, V35 and V40 I can only confirm that this option is included in settings and can be easily enabled...

Which parts exactly do I need to change for unlocking V40, anybody has done it before?
I have a few demo motherboards from G7 with SD845, but the RAM soldered on it is only 4gb and flash is ~16Gb, so I'm thinking of using old ram and flash from V40.

I'd recovered IMEI already after erasing flash, by writing backuped modem partitions, would it work after I'll solder a new cpu?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just for future reference SIM lock on LG SD845 is build now with strict hardware dependencies based on Chip ID and signature. The only way of removing SIM lock so far, apart from using official operator SIM unlock methods is to re-solder chip from already unlocked SD845 device and refurbish the phone - so all those well known tricks of erasing some files cross flashing different roms etc. is not working any more. Just save your time and efforts...
    Mfm3OglkMiVKWL4H06nCF1H9QoyJk9ae5YZzfWj_-Bz4NzLJKtKoiagn-P8AdmTZwrbnH5yHN6hdFRjMWAICsS_WzFWuqshIkgT0a1He8tLFaCLmPIItOoPI0uoX7HQIK75VVcpQ108=w534-h947-no