• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG Wing 5G Network option activation

Search This thread

Vuche

Thanks to paolotheking and this thread about an important secret code for the Velvet and other devices:

I could finally activate the 5G network capability of both my LG Velvet and LG Wing, European versions.

I have an Italian (ITC) genuine SIM unlocked Wing LM-F100EMW with latest Android 10 V10k-EEA-XX installed.

If you hit with the phone dialpad this sequence:

#*462633*#100#

it will lead you to a hidden menu where you can find all sort of information and tweaking options.

You have to choose "Field Test", then "Modem settings". You will have here many things you can change. Go to "RAT Selection", "SIM 1 Mode" (if you have only 1 SIM or if it's the one you want to go up to 5G speeds), it will give you many more options than the ones you find under the regular "Network settings".
So I then hit the "GSM/WCDMA/LTE/NR5G" option. I now have up to 5G automatic network selection!

Only issue is that under the regular Mobile Network settings, "Preferred network" states now "26" and if I want to see what other options you have, it only lists the options up to 4G preferred and it will go back to 4G maximum if you choose it. So you have to go through the hidden menu again to activate it.
I also tested that if you power off the phone, 5G maximum stays activated when you power on the phone again, good to know.

You may also try to tweak your 5G bands by selecting them in the corresponding menu "Band Selection" in the "Field Test", "Modem Settings" menu. Some of them might not really work though, as it might be hardware related depending on your model.

Hopefully it can help people finally being able to use the 5G network of their provider with the Wing, Velvet, and possibly other LG 5G phones like the V50(S) and V60. You just have to put your model number at the end of the secret code ...#900# for the Velvet, ...#510# for the V50S ...#100# for the Wing, aso, if I understood it good.

Enjoy!

I tried your suggestion above but field test is missing on my device (LM-F100N, unlocked SKT model). Any suggestions?

Screenshot_20210601-223633.png

kaluna00

Mar 24, 2011
Tacoma
Thanks for the write-up. I gave it a try on United States Verizon model. It appears that we do not have hidden menu functionality. I typed
#*462633*#100#
In the dialer.
This all look correct?
Screenshot_20210601-093012~2.png

Last edited:

Vuche

I tried your suggestion above but field test is missing on my device (LM-F100N, unlocked SKT model). Any suggestions?

View attachment 5326433
Interesting, this means that the carrier specific models, for Korea at least, don't offer the Field Test option. We have a discussion in a thread about the V50S eith the same issue (another secret code on this model for the hidden menu).

You can try 5457#*100# that works for the V50S to enter another menu where you can tweak frequency bands, preferred network, etc. The code might be different for the korean Wing / Velvet though. You might have to search the web or xda and try the different codes you find. Just remember to always use the LG dialpad to enter them, it won't work on the google telephone app for example, or at least it doesn't work on the V50S SKT that I have.

Do you have the up to 5G preferred option available under the Network settings? This option is available for the V50S but the problem is more about the 5G frequencies available on this model. It uses the n78 band that we eventually will have here in Europe, but it doesn't have the n28 5G band that is starting to be available in most of Europe. And no way to activate anything from the above mentioned hidden menu.

Vuche

Thanks for the write-up. I gave it a try on United States Verizon model. It appears that we do not have hidden menu functionality. I typed
#*462633*#100#
In the dialer.
This all look correct?
View attachment 5326581
Code is right, but for the Verizon model probably not. Try to search the web/xda for secret codes on LG Verizon recent models. Usually the last number in the code is your phone model number (100 for the Wing). So change the last number of the code to 100 before trying the code on the wing. And use the genuine LG phone dialpad to enter the code!

Let us know if you find any useful code, it might help other Verizon users.

Interesting, this means that the carrier specific models, for Korea at least, don't offer the Field Test option. We have a discussion in a thread about the V50S eith the same issue (another secret code on this model for the hidden menu).

You can try 5457#*100# that works for the V50S to enter another menu where you can tweak frequency bands, preferred network, etc. The code might be different for the korean Wing / Velvet though. You might have to search the web or xda and try the different codes you find. Just remember to always use the LG dialpad to enter them, it won't work on the google telephone app for example, or at least it doesn't work on the V50S SKT that I have.

Do you have the up to 5G preferred option available under the Network settings? This option is available for the V50S but the problem is more about the 5G frequencies available on this model. It uses the n78 band that we eventually will have here in Europe, but it doesn't have the n28 5G band that is starting to be available in most of Europe. And no way to activate anything from the above mentioned hidden menu.
The code works, the 5g preferred option is also available. However, I still can't seem to get a 5g signal even though all networks in my country are using the n78 band. Is there a possibility that SKT has locked the 5g frequency, even though I could use LTE? This variant also has a dual sim tray but looks like it was disabled.

shadders

Aug 5, 2010
Thanks to paolotheking and this thread about an important secret code for the Velvet and other devices:

I could finally activate the 5G network capability of both my LG Velvet and LG Wing, European versions.

I have an Italian (ITC) genuine SIM unlocked Wing LM-F100EMW with latest Android 10 V10k-EEA-XX installed.

#*462633*#100#

it will lead you to a hidden menu where you can find all sort of information and tweaking options.

You have to choose "Field Test", then "Modem settings". You will have here many things you can change. Go to "RAT Selection", "SIM 1 Mode" (if you have only 1 SIM or if it's the one you want to go up to 5G speeds), it will give you many more options than the ones you find under the regular "Network settings".
So I then hit the "GSM/WCDMA/LTE/NR5G" option. I now have up to 5G automatic network selection!

Only issue is that under the regular Mobile Network settings, "Preferred network" states now "26" and if I want to see what other options you have, it only lists the options up to 4G preferred and it will go back to 4G maximum if you choose it. So you have to go through the hidden menu again to activate it.
I also tested that if you power off the phone, 5G maximum stays activated when you power on the phone again, good to know.

You may also try to tweak your 5G bands by selecting them in the corresponding menu "Band Selection" in the "Field Test", "Modem Settings" menu. Some of them might not really work though, as it might be hardware related depending on your model.

Hopefully it can help people finally being able to use the 5G network of their provider with the Wing, Velvet, and possibly other LG 5G phones like the V50(S) and V60. You just have to put your model number at the end of the secret code ...#900# for the Velvet, ...#510# for the V50S ...#100# for the Wing, aso, if I understood it good.

Enjoy!
Thanks so much for this Vuche, I was finally able to activate 5g on my phone after months of trying - I had thought it was an issue with my unit or my network.

Why in the world did LG put this behind a secret menu??

Vuche

Thanks so much for this Vuche, I was finally able to activate 5g on my phone after months of trying - I had thought it was an issue with my unit or my network.

Why in the world did LG put this behind a secret menu??
Very good question indeed! Maybe they really didn't want us to buy their interesting phones, in order to have a good reason to close down their mobile business... ;)

Jhesmana17

Aug 6, 2021
help please...still no 5g signal on my lg wing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-220512.png
    Screenshot_20210806-220512.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20210806-220517.png
    Screenshot_20210806-220517.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20210806-221721.png
    Screenshot_20210806-221721.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 53

shadders

Aug 5, 2010

#*462633*#100#

Enjoy!
Hi Vuche,

When I first tried this, it worked perfectly and I was very happy. But recently I was wondering, hmm I've not seen 5g recently, and I realised that whenever I reboot the phone, it reverts to becoming 4g only :(

Do you have any tips on settings I could change to make it permanent? I'm not sure why it stays after reboot for you, but not for me.

shadders

Aug 5, 2010
Yes, I.'ve had the same thing happening on both Velvet and Wing, and I think it has started with one or the latest firmware update.

Apparently LG is following our threads here on XDA and really don't want us to have a good experience with their Last mobile phones...
I just dont understand why a phone marketed as 5g, has that option hidden away!!

Do you think there's anything in the hidden menu that could make the 5g function permanent? (I'm not sure how you discovered that menu in the first place?)

Vuche

It might be that there's some faulty/unfinished hardware used in our phones. Or it's a financial issue, like a licence fee. Whatever the reason, they might unlock everything soon, ...or never!

I use a projector at home (not LG) and I won't buy their TV's anyway. But one answer to their policy could be not buying their other products anymore. They are bad at marketing anyway, so they might die by themselves. Too bad though, they have very creative engineers!

Vuche

help please...still no 5g signal on my lg wing
You have apparently an SKT (South Korea Telecom) model. It doesn't seem to offer you the possibility to activate other 5G bands than the n78. In Europe for example, n28 and n78 are usually used by network providers. The n28 is the most commonly used band as it's easy to upgrade from 4G LTE and it works on larger areas. n78 is mainly used in densely populated city as it works on a higher frequency.
But don't worry, 4G/4G+ is still fast enough until they develop the n78 band further out. At least compared to n28 speed.