LightHouse App that enable GMS in HUAWEI Mate 50 and P40 series, and passes SafetyNet. Is it safe and how is it possible?

Search This thread

SleepingAran

Dec 4, 2012
Recently in Malaysia, HUAWEI has paid the media to push an app called LightHouse in order to enable Google Mobile Services in HUAWEI Mate 50 series and P40 series.

Once installed, the abovementioned handphone series will have GMS enabled on their phone, and users will be able to sign-in Google like other GMS enabled Android phones. It works in both HUAWEI EMUI and HUAWEI HarmonyOS.

The weird thing about it is that, there are users reporting that GMS enabled through LightHouse application allows HUAWEI Mate 50 series and P40 series to passes SafetyNet, which should be impossible because HUAWEI should not registered the model on their server, hence should not pass SafetyNet assertion.

Would any senior developers or editorial team from XDA like to investigate this issue?

The app I mentioned is linked here: https://appgallery.huawei.com/app/C106308861

You may need to change your AppGallery location to Malaysia for it to work.

SleepingAran

Dec 4, 2012
SafetyNet has been discontinued and is replaced by the Play Integrity API. Passing SafetyNet attestation is no longer a good indicator of whether apps will work on your device, as it is possible to pass SafetyNet but fail Play Integrity.

More information here.

SafetyNet server hasn't been shut down just yet, so shouldn't the HUAWEI phones fail even the SafetyNet since the models after the ban are not registered with Google to use GMS?

I see no reason that HUAWEI phone can pass even the to be discontinued SafetyNet test.

I will see if I can get any of the users to run Play Integrity API after installing LightHouse. If it passes Play Integrity API, then I think something there might be something fishy between HUAWEI and Google

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
SafetyNet server hasn't been shut down just yet
This does not matter. The real question is whether the GMS dependent apps you're trying to use have migrated to Play Integrity. Chances are they have.
so shouldn't the HUAWEI phones fail even the SafetyNet since the models after the ban are not registered with Google to use GMS?
Google is a global company, and the ban only applies to sale and importation in the United States, so I doubt that Google would discontinue support for Huawei devices. The issue here is CTS profiles; if the device has been CTS approved already, it shouldn't matter
I see no reason that HUAWEI phone can pass even the to be discontinued SafetyNet test.
Again, that's not the problem. I'm trying to point out that it is pointless to use SafetyNet as a measure of whether apps will work, when most apps have already migrated to Play Integrity.
I will see if I can get any of the users to run Play Integrity API after installing LightHouse. If it passes Play Integrity API, then I think something there might be something fishy between HUAWEI and Google
If you read the thread I linked, I've tried to explain in detail what Play Integrity is, and how it works, as well as the app that can be used to check the results. The Play Integrity API is part of GMS, not the device. However, if I remember correctly, Huawei has not correctly implemented hardware keystores on their devices, making it possible to pass STRONG_INTEGRITY even on an unlocked bootloader.

SleepingAran

Dec 4, 2012
HUAWEI Mate 50 series and P40 series was not CTS certified device if I recall correctly

If you read the thread I linked, I've tried to explain in detail what Play Integrity is, and how it works, as well as the app that can be used to check the results. The Play Integrity API is part of GMS, not the device. However, if I remember correctly, Huawei has not correctly implemented hardware keystores on their devices, making it possible to pass STRONG_INTEGRITY even on an unlocked bootloader.

So does it means that even without Google CTS approval, HUAWEI devices, if managed to find a way to install GMS, will be able to pass Play Integrity API, and have a working GMS on their phones?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
HUAWEI Mate 50 series and P40 series was not CTS certified device if I recall correctly

So does it means that even without Google CTS approval, HUAWEI devices, if managed to find a way to install GMS, will be able to pass Play Integrity API, and have a working GMS on their phones?
Play Integrity does not have an umbrella "pass/fail". Read the thread I linked, please. It provides 3 responses upon app request. Huawei devices should be able to pass MEETS_BASIC_INTEGRITY and possibly MEETS_STRONG_INTEGRITY but without an approved CTS profile will fail MEETS_DEVICE_INTEGRITY

Most apps require BASIC and DEVICE pass. Some apps may require STRONG.

If you read the thread I linked, this one, you'll see I also linked a workaround that should result in most Magisk rooted devices passing BASIC and DEVICE attestation

Darkisde

Aug 6, 2017
Recently in Malaysia, HUAWEI has paid the media to push an app called LightHouse in order to enable Google Mobile Services in HUAWEI Mate 50 series and P40 series.

Once installed, the abovementioned handphone series will have GMS enabled on their phone, and users will be able to sign-in Google like other GMS enabled Android phones. It works in both HUAWEI EMUI and HUAWEI HarmonyOS.

The weird thing about it is that, there are users reporting that GMS enabled through LightHouse application allows HUAWEI Mate 50 series and P40 series to passes SafetyNet, which should be impossible because HUAWEI should not registered the model on their server, hence should not pass SafetyNet assertion.

Would any senior developers or editorial team from XDA like to investigate this issue?

The app I mentioned is linked here: https://appgallery.huawei.com/app/C106308861

You may need to change your AppGallery location to Malaysia for it to work.
That is not quite accurate even if you change your region to maylasia there is no guarantee lighthouse will communicate with Google servers for access to Google account sign in.
Many Google apps will not work with the lighthouse portal including Google pay. There is also a distinction between Huawei and lighthouse gms access that is incorrect. A patched or spoofed version of microg can allow Huawei devices to sign into your account but you may not access Google apps. Furthermore the user will not pass safety net or API integrity.

Info on lighthouse Huawei consumer website

FAQ of LightHouse and LightHouse Ex - HUAWEI Community https://consumer.huawei.com/my/community/details/FAQ+of+LightHouse+and+LightHouse+Ex/topicId_166413/

There is also a separate topic in XDA developers regarding the lighthouse APK
No member has reported safety net/ play integrity pass success. The play integrity API can be downloaded from aurora store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115_001948_com.aurora.store.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115_001948_com.aurora.store.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Darkisde

Aug 6, 2017
That is not quite accurate Google LLC essentially removed itself from the PRC years ago. In addition the Dept commerce bis implemented sanctions which prevents many USA based businesses such as Google LLC to conduct business as such with Huawei technologies given entity list status.So Google LLC refrains from licensing gms to Huawei technologies which is based in the PRC. The implications have been thoroughly reviewed by android authority and other resources. The details are covered in the federal register. Google LLC corporate compliance officers and legal staff advised Google LLC to refrain from renegotiation with Huawei technologies. Google did apply for exemption in February 2020 but no further action was taken. So if any Huawei device owner attempts to install certified gms they will fail whether it is in USA, Europe Asia middle East etc.

Last edited:

offall

Sep 28, 2009
Thanks, Does this version of the lighthouse works on all oversea models, not just 636 variant specifcially, because all i have seen is that you need to have malaysia /asiapacific variant of those phones to be able to use it. If it's just a opensource github project, how can it work on some variant but not others of the same huawei phones. That really confuse me @Darkisde i saw you following quite closely on this app, any light you can help to shed on the reason?

Darkisde

Aug 6, 2017
Unfortunately we do not have access to the developer or a detailed changelog.
There is also a separate topic thread here https://xdaforums.com/t/so-this-is-...i-did-some-test-and-heres-the-result.4515073/.
Does this version of the lighthouse works on all oversea models, not just 636 variant specifcially, because all i have seen is that you need to have malaysia /asiapacific variant of those phones to be able to use it. If it's just a opensource github project, how can it work on some variant but not others of the same huawei phones. That really confuse me @Darkisde i saw you following quite closely on this app, any light you can help to shed on the reason?

truongdau23

Jun 3, 2023
hi.
I am using EMUI 12 with Lighthouse. It works fine with almost my google account except for my company google account (@xyz.edu). Sometimes it works, but sometimes it cannot sync mail and drive, and cannot connect to that account. I have tried reinstalling and readding the account many times but it still did not work.
Do you know how to fix it ?
Thank you

Top Liked Posts