• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Like the device but IMHO it needs a decent email app (like Samsung). Any suggestions?

Search This thread

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
The Samsung email app was removed from Samsung's lineup with either the S20 or Note 20, can't remember which. Outlook is the default they suggest now, since they have a deal with Microsoft.

I was forced to use Samsung's app at my former job, and it was absolutely the worst email client I had the displeasure of using. I'd rather use the damn Yahoo app over that piece of crap.

Personally I find the need to have to enter in a password or provide a fingerprint every time I look at mail, which is several hundred times a day because of my work, a bit of a bore.

That's your IT admin setting that requirement, not the app itself.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
If you value your privacy, the only options are k9mail and fairemail. Of the two, fairemail is far better.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
At risk of me not addressing the OP's question, I need to be able to switch, with the same features, between mobile and desktop at will. I depend on GMail's snooze email function which they brought from their Google Inbox. Sometimes I start an email on mobile and finish it on the desktop. I don't know if there's any other app that would allow that as easily between mobile and desktop clients, maybe Microsoft's, I don't know.

For awhile after Google abandoned Inbox, I tried some other solutions but all were lacking. Inbox was never a full replacement for the GMail app/site, but I enjoyed using Inbox as much as I could and only using GMail for things Inbox couldn't do. I've since gotten used to just using GMail all the time again. My work using Google for everything is definitely a factor, but even if they didn't, I'd still stick to the GMail app.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
At risk of me not addressing the OP's question, I need to be able to switch, with the same features, between mobile and desktop at will. I depend on GMail's snooze email function which they brought from their Google Inbox. Sometimes I start an email on mobile and finish it on the desktop. I don't know if there's any other app that would allow that as easily between mobile and desktop clients, maybe Microsoft's, I don't know.

For awhile after Google abandoned Inbox, I tried some other solutions but all were lacking. Inbox was never a full replacement for the GMail app/site, but I enjoyed using Inbox as much as I could and only using GMail for things Inbox couldn't do. I've since gotten used to just using GMail all the time again. My work using Google for everything is definitely a factor, but even if they didn't, I'd still stick to the GMail app.

As long as you're using IMAP, when you start composing a message and don't send it, it gets stored in 'Drafts'. Just open it from there and keep working.

Reactions: Norma Stitz

dbattenfl

May 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
I have been using Edison Mail+ ever since Google forced everyone off the older Gmail "Inbox" app.
Its fast, supports Gmail folders (labels...lol) and has been very stable. It also supports many of the common email services.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Edison Mail+ ever since Google forced everyone off the older Gmail "Inbox" app.
Its fast, supports Gmail folders (labels...lol) and has been very stable. It also supports many of the common email services.
Do you know if it supports GMail's snooze feature? Apparently, I've installed it previously but might have been a couple of years ago or more. The site says it does have snooze, but I wonder if it syncs with GMail's native snooze, so I can have the same stuff the same way on the PC and on the phone.

dbattenfl

May 1, 2012
Tampa, FL
Do you know if it supports GMail's snooze feature? Apparently, I've installed it previously but might have been a couple of years ago or more. The site says it does have snooze, but I wonder if it syncs with GMail's native snooze, so I can have the same stuff the same way on the PC and on the phone.
I don't know as I have never used the snooze feature.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I don't know as I have never used the snooze feature.
Ah, thanks! I rely on it every day for both work and personal GMail. I think I did now find the answer (no, it doesn't). https://mailsupport.edison.tech/hc/en-us/articles/115000609623-What-is-Snooze-

Our improved snooze feature is local to the device, so this behavior is to be expected. In the future, this may change as we explore third-party app syncing via a service such as Google or iCloud.

Although it appears this answer was at least slightly out of date, assuming Snooze is now available for Android as well:

Snooze is only available for iOS users at this time, but is part of our product roadmap for Android and we hope to roll out support for this feature in the future.

TankedThomas

Sep 25, 2018
FairEmail, without a doubt. I've tried so many different email apps and it's the only one I'm happy with. Contrary to a previous comment, it's quite feature-rich these days.

If you don't mind paying nor closed source, however, Nine is potentially a better email app overall. Just doesn't have the same level of privacy features.

Outlook is a buggy mess. It was my default and the reason I went in search of something better. My brother has had the same issues with that garbage app. Plus it's Microsoft spyware anyway.

KOLIOSIS

G-Mail is fine w/me, but, admittedly, I haven't tried much else other than Yahoo (way back when) & Microsoft Outlook.

I actually liked Yahoo's app long ago, it worked well, notifications were timely, but, as most here know all too well, it was/still is a spam magnet posing as an email client.👹

Anyhoo, that leads to why I'm posting here:
I'm familiar/aware how Google & Microsoft monetize their ecosystems.
But, I'm curious about some of the other email apps mentioned here, especially the one's that tout they're all about security/privacy.......

I'll be digging into some of them over the weekend, but, in the meantime, any info from those who may be informed on the particulars is definitely welcome. ✌️

Gerr1985

Feb 12, 2010
Chicago
Google won't make a new email app, since they own Gmail, that will be the one they push on the Google (pixel) phones. Works fine for personal use for me.

Outlook is our only allowed option for my work email, so I'm forced to used it and only it for work. I've learned to live with it, and it actually isn't so bad these days.

In the past I paid for and used Nine. It was the best email app I've ever used, and I tested out quite a few. Back in the day, the only option for email on Android was Touchdown. I think it still exists but it has a dated looking UI now.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Google won't make a new email app, since they own Gmail, that will be the one they push on the Google (pixel) phones. Works fine for personal use for me.
What!? No "Google Inbox Redux" from Google will come, to lure me in to "Inbox" so that I can be wildly disappointed four years later when they dump it again? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Alekos and galaxys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use Spark and can't go back to Gmail now, mainly for the optional links on notifications. I have 3 links on my notifications - Mark as read, Archive and Reply. That one single feature makes it my favourite email app.

In short, Spark is to Gmail what Nova is to the Pixel launcher. If you like it half as much as I do then you'll love it :)
    Hardware is good, love that it's a world phone for radio bands like iphone, bit I think it's software is sometimes too stock. Don't live google calendar but it will do, but it really needs a professional grade email app like Samsung, apple etc. I can't even use outlook on push mail on Gmail, which I think is a fairly lacking email app. Everyone is different but itt prevents me from keeping this device. Any suggestions as to a modern UI email app? BTW 9Mail is clunky and requires a passcode every time I use it.

THANKS
    Why not just the Outlook app?
    Aqua Mail ... has zillions of options ... honestly speaking too many ;-)
    I've always liked BlueMail works well on Android and iOS.