Lineage 15.1 build?

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Advice for anyone trying to build this past 14.1, study a similar devices tree put all the files side by side and make the appropriate changes . I have successfully compiled past 14.1 but there is a problem with the kernel that stops it from being loaded and read in the new order so it just bootloops after flashing. I dont have the funds to put in the amount of time and effort it would take to get it running but for anyone that does, study the tree make the changes and build an updated kernel. The kernel is the priority.
You are finally back!! So you are saying that the device tree is the issue? It's not the kernel?
I am compiling Los 16, and I would say it's better than 15.1 because it had a lot of errors.
For example I am stuck at "No rule to make image.gz" (Don't remember if it was the exact error)

One problem I have with the device tree is that there is the D2att and then D2-common and it's so confusing.

But I am willing to put the effort into it especially that I have the source already downloaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidWCS

Joker1716

Sep 24, 2014
St. Louis, MO. 63114
The only device tree that we have is from 14.1, so you take that device tree compare it to similar device tree running a newer version of android, note the changes and make them match accordingly. Your error is because you have to add BOARD_KERNEL_IMAGE_NAME := zImage or something very similar to the boardconfig.mk file you will run into another error about recovery image being to large if you dont add the command to compress it in the boardconfig.mk ( something like LZMA_RAMDISK_TARGETS := recovery) but it is a kernel problem I have not messed with anything in the kernel source but its setup to boot in the older order of android around oreo the implemented project treble. Do some research study the trees and concentrate on the kernel and recovery the device tree will come together given enough effort and research but until there is a d2 kernel that can boot the new configuration it will not boot also the d2 common folder is the d2 folder the d2att folder and the d2spr etc are to separate the different variances of the device to pull prop files

Last edited:

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Alright, now I have a lot of time to play around with this, now that I installed Ubuntu on my machine in dualboot, planning to switch fully to it, which is quite amazing. I have more played with the Surface RT and helping the hacking scene to make programs for it hoping to get other OSes working, hence the fact that I haven't been active on the att S3. So I will be continuing soon, I have to take some time to setup everything. It should be much faster on my main instead of a VM to take advantage of the 16GB of RAM and 8 cores, to get builds to compile faster.

Reactions: palmbeach05

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Alright, now I have a lot of time to play around with this, now that I installed Ubuntu on my machine in dualboot, planning to switch fully to it, which is quite amazing. I have more played with the Surface RT and helping the hacking scene to make programs for it hoping to get other OSes working, hence the fact that I haven't been active on the att S3. So I will be continuing soon, I have to take some time to setup everything. It should be much faster on my main instead of a VM to take advantage of the 16GB of RAM and 8 cores, to get builds to compile faster.
I understand that if you upstream a kernel, its better to use a LTS for that. Is upstreaming the kernel a good idea or a possibility?

Last edited:

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
There are still a few Samsung Galaxy S3 users out here, and I for one greatly appreciates your efforts. Thank you for keeping us 'in the loop' regarding your work.
I see potential. Ok, this is a backup device for me since i broke my regular phone (samsung j5 2015). It may be a bit sluggish at times, but i agree with what joker had said, focus on the kernel. But i'm also wondering if we could push 3.10 kernel?

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
I understand that if you upstream a kernel, its better to use a LTS for that. Is upstreaming the kernel a good idea or a possibility?
I read that upstreaming a kernel is not a perfect idea, and I don't know how to do that :/. Joker said to also look at the device tree, and apply Oreo changes to it. I can do that, but I am not sure if that will fix the problem. Basically, he said that the phone won't boot to Oreo (He made a build of Oreo for this phone) and would loop, without showing the initlogo, similar to TWRP not booting when the kernel is set to enforcing (If you ever experienced this problem). I and Joker think the problem is that the Kernel does not get loaded, maybe because of the device tree, we don't have a way to capture logs, but I will do my best to see if the device tree "Upgrade" will fix the problem. However, I would continue with Pie, since for some reason, Oreo compilation had some problems with typos which got me stuck at a stage, and I could not fix it myself, since I don't know where that typo is. (It was the fault of Lineage, not the phone or OS.) I am happy to see someone else interested in "Reviving" the Galaxy S3 custom ROMs!

hasan.sy

Sep 30, 2015
I am still making progress, but I was looking at galaxy s3 motherboards (i9300, neo) prices on aliexpress and I was shocked after seeing the really low prices for theese boards! (4-15$!!) I was thinking if I could swap boards between my other broken d2 and i9300 or neo. We could still have our old phone with a newer snapdragon 400 and enjoy android 10! One thing that would concern me is the display, the inner frame and the cameras but I think it would be a great and cheap project to do! One thing we would lose is the 4G LTE but 3G still works fine in my region and I dont use mobile data. What do you guys think about it? Should I try it?

Here are some s3 boards: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...n=y&SearchText=Samsung+galaxy+s3+motherboards
hello , my t999 board was bricked so i did the same thing you talk about , i9300 board doesnt fit to i747/t999 case so i breaked it to fit and worked fine but still have network problems maybe i9300 board has problem on sim card place... i will try los 15.1 16 17.1 to test it on this device for daily usage

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Update: unfortunately I am still not able to successfully build Android 9 for it up to now.

I have been very busy but I hope I can use this holiday vacation to finally release a successful build. I have created a unified Android 9 device tree to avoid confusion with the common stuff here https://github.com/alexenferman/device_samsung_d2att and I will modify it as I go along with the compilation process. Since I first started one year ago, I have picked up so much stuff so the process of diagnosing and fixing problems will be much easier for me right now. If there is any other developer who is willing to build or help let me know, have a nice year everyone.

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
There is quite a problem with the kernel or Init on this device. I started by Creating a Recovery image since that is easier to debug but it does not boot, it only goes to Download mode, with prebuilt or source kernel. Maybe it's another issue, but I am just wondering how Joker got Oreo recovery to work. Anyways, I will hopefully find a fix for this.

Edit: Will build 7.1 recovery and see if it works

Attachments

Last edited:

ClaireCameron

Dec 17, 2020
There is quite a problem with the kernel or Init on this device. I started by Creating a Recovery image since that is easier to debug but it does not boot, it only goes to Download mode, with prebuilt or source kernel. Maybe it's another issue, but I am just wondering how Joker got Oreo recovery to work. Anyways, I will hopefully find a fix for this.
This quite is a big problem :D

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Ironically LineageOS recovery built on 14.1 works but the one built on 16 is not. So the kernel or Device tree is an issue. I will take the time to examine the differences required to update the device tree to make it work with Lineage 16.0 correctly.

Also when building LineageOS 16 it was almost done, but I don't think it makes sense to continue with the ROM right now because the kernel is not working for L16. I will first fix the recovery to make it work and then I will continue with the ROM itself.

Download Lineage 14.1 recovery here: https://files.alexenferman.com/?/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-i747/Custom-ROM-Builds

Edit: The LineageOS 16 recovery is missing the init files, no wonder it won't boot

Attachments

Last edited:

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
I finally successfully built a Lineage 16.0 ROM and RECOVERY, spent 2 full days on this and I hope it will finally boot. I had to make a few changes to the kernel source and device tree. Right now there is a high possibility the Camera and GPS will not work, and a 10% chance cellular connection will not work. I will install the ROM tomorrow, because it's very late right now. Wish me luck!!

Attachments

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
The ROM flashed successfully but unfortunately, initlogo shows up and then it goes to download mode again, but I got the Kernel Logs and it looks like there are a few errors. It's looking for V-Sync stuff which is pretty hilarious. I searched the last errors and it looks like it's only happening in emulators, so I have been building for a generic device for all of this time, I am not sure if this is a kernel issue or a device tree issue, but I will ask some people about it. I am getting very close.

Kernel Logs: https://del.dog/imununomer.txt

Edit: It looks like vendor is not in the right place, so it's not able to pick up the files in vendor to continue the boot process so it shuts down and goes to download because it does not know what to do next, same thing what happened to the first recovery attempt, the init files were missing, so it went to download mode immediately.

Edit 2: Looks like the issue is the SEPolicy denials. I will build a fresh ROM with permissive and see if it works.

I have created an organization with all the device trees I am using here: https://github.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-MSM8960

Attachments

Last edited:

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Now I got the notification LED blinking for 5 seconds before shutting down again and going to download mode. I am almost there. I built in permissive so I got rid of the SELinux errors.
Happy new year everyone, hopefully I will finally get Lineage 16.0 to at least boot!

Attachments

Reactions: DavidWCS

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
The ROM flashed successfully but unfortunately, initlogo shows up and then it goes to download mode again, but I got the Kernel Logs and it looks like there are a few errors. It's looking for V-Sync stuff which is pretty hilarious. I searched the last errors and it looks like it's only happening in emulators, so I have been building for a generic device for all of this time, I am not sure if this is a kernel issue or a device tree issue, but I will ask some people about it. I am getting very close.

Kernel Logs: https://del.dog/imununomer.txt

Edit: It looks like vendor is not in the right place, so it's not able to pick up the files in vendor to continue the boot process so it shuts down and goes to download because it does not know what to do next, same thing what happened to the first recovery attempt, the init files were missing, so it went to download mode immediately.

Edit 2: Looks like the issue is the SEPolicy denials. I will build a fresh ROM with permissive and see if it works.

I have created an organization with all the device trees I am using here: https://github.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-MSM8960
nice job. just as an fyi, and you probably know this already, but official twrp has been broken since about 3.4.0 and is even more broken with 3.5.0. I'm going to try what i can with your trees to help bring that up, not that we really need anything more with pie roms, but still, that twrp tree is labeled ics, so its probably missing a lot

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
nice job. just as an fyi, and you probably know this already, but official twrp has been broken since about 3.4.0 and is even more broken with 3.5.0. I'm going to try what i can with your trees to help bring that up, not that we really need anything more with pie roms, but still, that twrp tree is labeled ics, so its probably missing a lot
Yeah it's quite broken. For example the reboot or power off does not work. I don't even know if they are actually using the tree they have on Github as it is very old. Maybe you or we can restart official support (It's still official but it's broken) and have a fully functional recovery. If you want to "update" the tree, just make sure it's for omni instead of lineage.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah it's quite broken. For example the reboot or power off does not work. I don't even know if they are actually using the tree they have on Github as it is very old. Maybe you or we can restart official support (It's still official but it's broken) and have a fully functional recovery. If you want to "update" the tree, just make sure it's for omni instead of lineage.
Can you put up on your repo the msm8960-common repo you are using? I'm doing what i can from my end with updating, but i keep getting a fail with a recovery.img size of 11.7mb. its either that repo or something with the vendor. i'm not sure yet, but i think its the msm8960-common. I can upload what i've done later on tonight and post the links

Edit

prebuilt kernel added, but the problem seems to be ramdisk size related. they may not be full trees for rom building, but missing stuff can be added in at any time.

Edit 2 - 10.9 with d2att from your git, d2-common and msm8960-common from s3 git

Last edited:

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Can you put up on your repo the msm8960-common repo you are using? I'm doing what i can from my end with updating, but i keep getting a fail with a recovery.img size of 11.7mb. its either that repo or something with the vendor. i'm not sure yet, but i think its the msm8960-common. I can upload what i've done later on tonight and post the links

Edit

prebuilt kernel added, but the problem seems to be ramdisk size related. they may not be full trees for rom building, but missing stuff can be added in at any time.

Edit 2 - 10.9 with d2att from your git, d2-common and msm8960-common from s3 git
I haven't touched this device for a week so I have not built any recovery or made any progress with Lineage 16. By the logs it looks like there are some init files missing and Graphics issues (maybe). As for the recovery, I don't know but is it really necessary to include all of these trees only to build TWRP (d2att, d2-common, msm8960)? Reducing unnecessary stuff will lower the Image size. When building with ICS it was fine, but now when building with Omni 9, the size is larger. I invited you to the MSM8960 Samsung on Github if you wish to contribute to anything.