• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Lineage OS 18.1 (Android 11) full installation guide for MediaPad T5 (AGS2-XXX)

Search This thread

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
Hello there. Hope this helps!

FIRST OF ALL, this WILL VOID your waranty. Read the steps BEFORE doing anything.

WEWEWEWE lessgooo:

• UNLOCK BOOTLOADER: It's not "easy" at all (You'll have to open your tab).
    • Go to device info on tab settings.
    • Press compilation number for several times until "you're a dev" message appears (It'll prolly ask your pattern/password to continue).
    • Go to dev options and enable OEM unlocking.
    • Shut down the tab.

• Download PotatoNV sofware from here. (Credits to mashed-potatoes)
    • Download minimal adb and fastboot from here.

• Prepare your environment:
      • Open your tablet
      • Grab a clip or a cable
      • Keep your cool
    • Follow the steps shown here.
    • Here you have an image of where the testpoint is.

• FLASH TWRP INTO THE TAB:
    • Follow CAREFULLY this steps:
      • Shut down the tab
      • Connect the tab to the PC and hold vol- & pwr button.
    • Now it'll appear a white screen with some text. If it appears "OEM unlock" in green, then everything's fine. IF NOT, follow unlock bootloader steps again. Then try rebooting into fastboot mode again (vol- & pwr).

• Download most compatible TWRP from here.
  • Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot and write this:
  • "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk path_of_twrp.img" (Move twrp to minimal adb folder for no complications)
  • It should appear everything OK.

• Type "fastboot reboot"
  • Fastly disconnect the tab from PC and hold vol+ & pwr button before Huawei logo appears (if it appears, just do a hard reboot (hold pwr button) and try again.
  • You're now booting into TWRP!

• DOWNLOAD RESOURCES AND PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE PARTY (This is the most important step)
    • Download data decrypter from attached files below the post (decryptemui8.zip)
    • Download ROM from here (credits: @DarkJoker360 ) DarkJoker's Post here
    • (OPTIONAL) Download Nikgapps from here

• ONCE in TWRP, flash decrypter (decryptemui8.zip) on "install" option
    • Go to wipe>advanced wipe and select: dalvink/art cache, cache, data, internal storage and system.
    • Return to main menu and go to reboot>reboot bootloader
    • Connect your device to the PC (while rebooting) and wait to be into bootloader (white screen with a droid).

• Open minimal adb and fastboot tools and type:
    • "fastboot flash system path_of_rom.img" (it MUST be decompressed to an .img file)
    • Wait...
    • Once it has finished, type: "fastboot reboot"
    • DONE! you have LOS18.1 now!
    • (optional gapps on next step)

• GAPPS INSTALLATION ON MEDIAPAD T5 IT'S DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PHONES!!!!!!!

• FOLLOW THIS STEPS VERY CAREFULLY!!!
    • Move gapps zip and add-ons to an sd card
    • Reboot to TWRP
    • Go to mount>select system. Return to main menu
    • Go to advanced>file manager
    • Go to system>system_ext>apex.
      • Once in apex, enter on vndk27 and vndk28 and delete them (once in vndk27/vndk28 folder, in the bottom-right corner, it'll appear a symbol with a folder with a "tick" on it. Just tap it)
    • LEAVE ONLY VNDK CURRENT AND VNDK26 FOLDERS (and the rest obviously. Just delete 27/28)

• Return to main menu
    • Go to wipe>advanced wipe. Select system and tap on repair/resize partition (slide to continue)
    • Then go to main menu>install and install gapps as usual (sliding lol)

• FOR ROOT METHOD:
    • Just follow the steps shown on the main post.
    • WORKING ROOT CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH MAGISK METHOD (installing apk for using preroot MUST perform random SystemUI reboots ; ).

Attachments

• Huawei-Decrypt-Emui_8.zip
    171.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

hobbitjack

Jan 22, 2010
Hey,

I've tried this, but cant get it too boot.

My device is Huawei AGS2-W09.

I've unlocked the bootloader/installed twrp, flashed the decrypter etc.

Then after i do fastboot reboot, it loads up the Lineage OS splash/loading screen, but stays on that for about 10 mins, then reboots and goes to Huawei eRecovery screen.

I've tried repeating the steps, in case it didn't flash properly.

Any ideas?

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
Hey,

Then after i do fastboot reboot, it loads up the Lineage OS splash/loading screen, but stays on that for about 10 mins, then reboots and goes to Huawei eRecovery screen.

Any ideas?
For those facing problems:
PM Me via telegram @Fosanz

JOIN T5 SUPPORT GROUP

I will post the solutions here on the main post as problems appear

Last edited:

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
@Fosanz can you share how's the performance of LOS18.1 on MediaPad T5
what is working and what not?
how is the battery on LOS18.1?
my battery sucked on LOS16, hardly 3 hours
Everything works. No face unlock as LOS16. Animations are simply beautiful, very optimized. Here you can pass safetyNet with some easy tweaks. Battery it's amazing. 1% in 6h deep sleep. While using it (6-7 hours of gaming, instagram, telegram, etc.) battery drain it's amazing. I'll share some screenshots on the telegram group

Reactions: kamilmirza
Recover system with eRecovery and follow steps again. Instructions modified. Making a factory reset is not neccesary ;)
Follow steps again….Yes, but what will change if I do it again. Same tablet, same instructions. I would like to know first what was wrong. I want to avoid spending hours trying and after that restoring, until I’m sure it will work for me.

Anybody else managed to install LOS18 ? If yes please describe how you did it and from which environment you’re coming.

Last edited:

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
Follow steps again….Yes, but what will change if I do it again. Same tablet, same instructions. I would like to know first what was wrong. I want to avoid spending hours trying and after that restoring, until I’m sure it will work for me.

Anybody else managed to install LOS18 ? If yes please describe how you did it and from which environment you’re coming.
Join support group duh.

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
OK, so, if anybody wants to try to install L0S18, go right away and join Telegram group of this member, beacuse the suport is not provided here (entendi bien?). What is the purpose of this forum then?
Debido a que tú pregunta no tiene nada que ver con la instalación, sino que estás preguntando por los cambios hechos, no voy a empezar ni una discusión ni una conversación por un hilo con tal de evitar overflooding de mensajes. Así que por favor y si no te molesta, te asistiré por Telegram, de manera que el problema que tú tengas pueda ser solucionado lo más rápido posible para yo poder modificar lo que pueda estar mal en el hilo principal y así no hacer que la gente que quiere instalar Lineage solo mirando el thread principal (que lo hace la gran mayoría) tenga el mismo error que tú y vuelva a preguntarme lo mismo.

Y si, hay gente que ha logrado instalar Lineage os 18.1 correctamente y gracias a que se unió al grupo pude modificar partes de la instalación que eran cruciales para otros modelos de mediapadt5.

Un saludo

Dialaeialio

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone else successfully installed LO18? I tried going from LO16 to 18 and this didn't work for me. I'm gonna give it a second try when I have more time on my hands. Maybe I'll have more luck going from EMUI to LO18.

korale

Jan 4, 2011
Firts of all thanks for the efford you guys spend into a working solution for our device. Second I apology for not joining Telegram group, I simply don't use it.
Device: AGS2-W09 - came from stock

Yesterday the device was successfully booting into LOS18. Might have to do with the new Huawei-Decrypt file. Before I was also getting a boot loop.
LOS is working quite well as I can tell until now.
Aditionally installed apps (sideloaded or alternative store) are freezing after a while. I suspected a dependency to gapps. The apps I tested Brave Browser, Aurora Store, VLC.
Tried to install Nikgapps (core and then basic) but it didn't work. TWRP console tells me installation was successful, but no gapps appear after the boot. I tired BiTGApps package and that was successful.
Additionally installed apps still freezing after a while.

Last edited:

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
Firts of all thanks for the efford you guys spend into a working solution for our device. Second I apology for not joining Telegram group, I simply don't use it.
Device: AGS2-W09 - came from stock

Yesterday the device was successfully booting into LOS18. Might have to do with the new Huawei-Decrypt file. Before I was also getting a boot loop.
LOS is working quite well as I can tell until now.
Aditionally installed apps (sideloaded or alternative store) are freezing after a while. I suspected a dependency to gapps. The apps I tested Brave Browser, Aurora Store, VLC.
Tried to install Nikgapps (core and then basic) but it didn't work. TWRP console tells me installation was successful, but no gapps appear after the boot. I tired BiTGApps package and that was successful.
Additionally installed apps still freezing after a while.
Hey Hi!.
Glad to hear you booted! The problem was at the decrypter.
Also, a lot of people are having trouble installing NikGapps. It seems that the package is "wrong" in some way for our device. Reported the issue. Until July 2021 update, devices go very slow. Hopefully, there's a way to fix it :D.

adb root && adb remount /system

adb push local.prop /system/product/etc/prop/local.prop

Credits to @DarkJoker360
Extracted from HI6250 support group

local.prop file is on "attached files"

Attachments

• localprop.rar
    1.6 KB · Views: 19

Dialaeialio

Jul 29, 2019
I finally had some time to try installing LineageOS 18.1 again. Works beautifully, Magisk and everything. Make you sure you go straight from EMUI to LineageOS 18.1, it doesn't work if you switch from Lineage 16 to 18.1.

In my case I needed to open to the tablet again after doing a Huawei system restore back to EMUI, it relocked my tablet, just be aware of that, that was mildly annoying.

Also make sure you use the Magisk mentioned in the thread if you want root. After installing, don't let Magisk update itself from within the app, updating the ramdisk will remove TWRP and the system will bootloop until you reflash TWRP. It will boot again normally with your stuff still intact after the TWRP reflash.

Been playing around with it for a bit, doesn't seem to have some of the annoying LineageOS 16 bugs. It has full screen navigation controls which I really wanted and was missing earlier. Android 11 (Juli 2021 security update), MicroG is working, seems responsive and smooth. Great! I am very happy with this.

Thanks and special shout out to all the people making this possible, y'all are amazing.

Reactions: brownsmell

korale

Jan 4, 2011
Just as a hint. I don't think you need to open your tablet again.
Keep the unlock code generated by PotatoNV save. In my case I relocked and unlocked the tablet several times with the unlock code without the testpont method.

Reactions: brownsmell

bendror76

May 23, 2016
hi, i just got to the part that i have to make a img file out of the rom zip file....
help pls
can i flash the other img files on the site? (the 650 mb files)
can i flash the new rom from twrp?
thx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally had some time to try installing LineageOS 18.1 again. Works beautifully, Magisk and everything. Make you sure you go straight from EMUI to LineageOS 18.1, it doesn't work if you switch from Lineage 16 to 18.1.

In my case I needed to open to the tablet again after doing a Huawei system restore back to EMUI, it relocked my tablet, just be aware of that, that was mildly annoying.

Also make sure you use the Magisk mentioned in the thread if you want root. After installing, don't let Magisk update itself from within the app, updating the ramdisk will remove TWRP and the system will bootloop until you reflash TWRP. It will boot again normally with your stuff still intact after the TWRP reflash.

Been playing around with it for a bit, doesn't seem to have some of the annoying LineageOS 16 bugs. It has full screen navigation controls which I really wanted and was missing earlier. Android 11 (Juli 2021 security update), MicroG is working, seems responsive and smooth. Great! I am very happy with this.

Thanks and special shout out to all the people making this possible, y'all are amazing.
    Just as a hint. I don't think you need to open your tablet again.
    Keep the unlock code generated by PotatoNV save. In my case I relocked and unlocked the tablet several times with the unlock code without the testpont method.
    Hello there. Hope this helps!

FIRST OF ALL, this WILL VOID your waranty. Read the steps BEFORE doing anything.

WEWEWEWE lessgooo:

• UNLOCK BOOTLOADER: It's not "easy" at all (You'll have to open your tab).
      • Go to device info on tab settings.
      • Press compilation number for several times until "you're a dev" message appears (It'll prolly ask your pattern/password to continue).
      • Go to dev options and enable OEM unlocking.
      • Shut down the tab.

• Download PotatoNV sofware from here. (Credits to mashed-potatoes)
      • Download minimal adb and fastboot from here.

• Prepare your environment:
        • Open your tablet
        • Grab a clip or a cable
        • Keep your cool
      • Follow the steps shown here.
      • Here you have an image of where the testpoint is.

• FLASH TWRP INTO THE TAB:
      • Follow CAREFULLY this steps:
        • Shut down the tab
        • Connect the tab to the PC and hold vol- & pwr button.
      • Now it'll appear a white screen with some text. If it appears "OEM unlock" in green, then everything's fine. IF NOT, follow unlock bootloader steps again. Then try rebooting into fastboot mode again (vol- & pwr).

• Download most compatible TWRP from here.
    • Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot and write this:
    • "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk path_of_twrp.img" (Move twrp to minimal adb folder for no complications)
    • It should appear everything OK.

• Type "fastboot reboot"
    • Fastly disconnect the tab from PC and hold vol+ & pwr button before Huawei logo appears (if it appears, just do a hard reboot (hold pwr button) and try again.
    • You're now booting into TWRP!

• DOWNLOAD RESOURCES AND PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE PARTY (This is the most important step)
      • Download data decrypter from attached files below the post (decryptemui8.zip)
      • Download ROM from here (credits: @DarkJoker360 ) DarkJoker's Post here
      • (OPTIONAL) Download Nikgapps from here

• ONCE in TWRP, flash decrypter (decryptemui8.zip) on "install" option
      • Go to wipe>advanced wipe and select: dalvink/art cache, cache, data, internal storage and system.
      • Return to main menu and go to reboot>reboot bootloader
      • Connect your device to the PC (while rebooting) and wait to be into bootloader (white screen with a droid).

• Open minimal adb and fastboot tools and type:
      • "fastboot flash system path_of_rom.img" (it MUST be decompressed to an .img file)
      • Wait...
      • Once it has finished, type: "fastboot reboot"
      • DONE! you have LOS18.1 now!
      • (optional gapps on next step)

• GAPPS INSTALLATION ON MEDIAPAD T5 IT'S DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PHONES!!!!!!!

• FOLLOW THIS STEPS VERY CAREFULLY!!!
      • Move gapps zip and add-ons to an sd card
      • Reboot to TWRP
      • Go to mount>select system. Return to main menu
      • Go to advanced>file manager
      • Go to system>system_ext>apex.
        • Once in apex, enter on vndk27 and vndk28 and delete them (once in vndk27/vndk28 folder, in the bottom-right corner, it'll appear a symbol with a folder with a "tick" on it. Just tap it)
      • LEAVE ONLY VNDK CURRENT AND VNDK26 FOLDERS (and the rest obviously. Just delete 27/28)

• Return to main menu
      • Go to wipe>advanced wipe. Select system and tap on repair/resize partition (slide to continue)
      • Then go to main menu>install and install gapps as usual (sliding lol)

• FOR ROOT METHOD:
      • Just follow the steps shown on the main post.
      • WORKING ROOT CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH MAGISK METHOD (installing apk for using preroot MUST perform random SystemUI reboots ; ).

Hey,

Any ideas?
    For those facing problems:
    PM Me via telegram @Fosanz

JOIN T5 SUPPORT GROUP

I will post the solutions here on the main post as problems appear
    OK, so, if anybody wants to try to install L0S18, go right away and join Telegram group of this member, beacuse the suport is not provided here (entendi bien?). What is the purpose of this forum then?
    Debido a que tú pregunta no tiene nada que ver con la instalación, sino que estás preguntando por los cambios hechos, no voy a empezar ni una discusión ni una conversación por un hilo con tal de evitar overflooding de mensajes. Así que por favor y si no te molesta, te asistiré por Telegram, de manera que el problema que tú tengas pueda ser solucionado lo más rápido posible para yo poder modificar lo que pueda estar mal en el hilo principal y así no hacer que la gente que quiere instalar Lineage solo mirando el thread principal (que lo hace la gran mayoría) tenga el mismo error que tú y vuelva a preguntarme lo mismo.

Y si, hay gente que ha logrado instalar Lineage os 18.1 correctamente y gracias a que se unió al grupo pude modificar partes de la instalación que eran cruciales para otros modelos de mediapadt5.

Un saludo
    Everything works. No face unlock as LOS16. Animations are simply beautiful, very optimized. Here you can pass safetyNet with some easy tweaks. Battery it's amazing. 1% in 6h deep sleep. While using it (6-7 hours of gaming, instagram, telegram, etc.) battery drain it's amazing. I'll share some screenshots on the telegram group