• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Lineage OS 18.1 (Android 11) full installation guide for MediaPad T5 (AGS2-XXX)

Search This thread

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
Thx alot for the guide and the help in instegram.
It's working for me with my mediapad t5.
Some things that are still a bit dissfunction:
Mobile network dissconnect every 30 seconds and reconnect.
No support for sd card (can't format it in the tablet).
Thanks again,
Ilan
Keep in mind that this ROM is still on development. Huawei RIL is still laggy and sorry for that ;'/

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
On "your device has been unlocked" screen, hold vol+ for about 5 sec. That'll send you to eRecovery, just press the first option (restablish os)
Manny thanks!
Stupid to have overlooked this option, it was just there evertime while booting haha.

I've managed to get the tab back to stock ROM using this method.
But I've noticed 3 things so far.

- The device seems to be locked again now? I don't see the warning screen annymore while booting.
I still have the generated "unlock code" but I don't see a way to unlock it with this using PotatoNV without reopening the tab.

- TWRP is gone, but guess it has something to do with an overwritten part? Since the tab is locked again too?

- eRecovery looks difrent now. The "Download latest version and recovery" is gone now.

Does someone has anny ideas on this?

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_171028701.jpg
    IMG_20210730_171028701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210731_152515183.jpg
    IMG_20210731_152515183.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Just as a hint. I don't think you need to open your tablet again.
Keep the unlock code generated by PotatoNV save. In my case I relocked and unlocked the tablet several times with the unlock code without the testpont method.
My tab got locked again. How do i unlock it without the testingpoint method? I still have the generated unlock code.

Fosanz

Mar 12, 2021
Huawei MediaPad T5
Manny thanks!
Stupid to have overlooked this option, it was just there evertime while booting haha.

I've managed to get the tab back to stock ROM using this method.
But I've noticed 3 things so far.

- The device seems to be locked again now? I don't see the warning screen annymore while booting.
I still have the generated "unlock code" but I don't see a way to unlock it with this using PotatoNV without reopening the tab.

- TWRP is gone, but guess it has something to do with an overwritten part? Since the tab is locked again too?

- eRecovery looks difrent now. The "Download latest version and recovery" is gone now.

Does someone has anny ideas on this?
1- Yes, the device is locked again. To unlock it again, just boot into bootloader (vol+&per button) and type
Code:
oem unlock <code>
at adb and fastboot utility on PC

2- FULL WIPE means full wipe lol

3- eRecovery is no accessible now, you're in recovery, just look at the top left corner

Hope it helps ;)

• Love
Reactions: Rockel

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
1- Yes, the device is locked again. To unlock it again, just boot into bootloader (vol+&per button) and type
Code:
oem unlock <code>

3- eRecovery is no accessible now, you're in recovery, just look at the top left corner

Hope it helps ;)
Yes thanks a lot!
That helped :)

btw. Do you know if there's a way to root the tab with just stock ROM? You direct to here in your guide of Lineage. But it looks like it's just an extra step? But I don't see or understand how to use this on stock ROM so far.

Turned out that the device is behaving diffrently when connected to a PC. Gues the device was connected to PC before when getting into eRecovery. Not connected it brings you to Recovery.

Made a litle overview about this. Hope it can help others too:

Fastboot/ Bootloader mode:
1. Turn off the device by holding the Power key for a few seconds.
2. Connect tablet to PC/laptop using the USB-cable.
3. Hold down Volume-Down.
4. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Down and USB connected).
4. Tablet boots now into Fastboot-mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huawei Recovery mode:
2. Hold down Volume-Up.
3. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Up).
4. Tablet boots now into Recovery mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huawei eRecovery mode:
3. Hold down Volume-Up.
4. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Up and USB connected).
5. Tablet boots now into eRecovery mode.

Or with unlocked bootloader:

1. Turn off the device by holding the Power key for a few seconds, or reboot.
2. On the "unlocked and can't be trusted screen", press and hold Volume-Up for about 3 sec.
3. Tablet boots now into eRecovery mode.

TWRP mode:
2. Hold down Volume-Up.
3. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Up).
4. Tablet boots now into TWRP mode.

Unlock bootloader with obtained unlock-code:
1. Enable "OEM unlock" and "USB debugging" on the device.
2. Get into "Fastboot/ Bootloader mode" manually or type [adb reboot bootloader] in "minimal ADB and Fastboot".
3. Type in [fastboot oem unlock <unlock-code>] into "minimal ADB and Fastboot".
4. Bootloader gets unlocked and tablet gets a factory reset.

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
For root on EMUI, just follow steps on magisk guide ;)

Download the latest magisk apk
Download the latest magisk zip
Flash the zip at twrp and done
Wow! This was actually verry easy to achief! Just needed a push into the right direction I guess.
Thanks for pointing this out! (y)

This was actually the easiest device to root so far. Besides opening it to get to the testpoint haha 😁

Attachments

• Magisk.jpg
    Magisk.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Fosanz

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Seems I yave some little problems (nothing serious though) and I've tried several wipes and resets. In TWRP and in eRecovery (and downloading and recover the latest image again).

But seems there is still some old info stored somewhere. And looks like Google is not updating to the latest version annymore. Well, it seems to act a bit strange...

After formating the Vendor partition in TWRP, the System partition came available (I think).

Is it safe to format this System partition too? And will I still be able to download and flash the latest stock firmware using eRevery this way?

Or will eRecovery also be wiped when wiping the system partition?
I think I should sideload a new ROM in this case. But seems it's nowhere available to download :)

So not sure here.

Edit:
Found out in TWRP Mount that erecovery is installed on another partition. So made a backup of the system partition, just in case. And I was able to download and install the latest stock firmware again after doing so.
Looks good so far (y)

Last edited:

brownsmell

Jun 21, 2011
Rockwell what Are the problems? I am thinking of Android 11 LOS updating my new t5 tablet? Any chance at Android 12?
So if we update to LOS we cannot get Google security updates anymore?

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Rockwell what Are the problems? I am thinking of Android 11 LOS updating my new t5 tablet? Any chance at Android 12?
So if we update to LOS we cannot get Google security updates anymore?
Well, I was playing around with rooted settings trying to resolve some problems I had with stock ROM. One of the most anoying things for me is the resolution. Tried a few options with root to resolve this. But resolution seems to be reset everytime I reboot the tablet.
Another problem I have is safetynet. Looking for a way to pass this. I'm trying out to get a new fingerprint via a Magisk module. But this device is not listed there.

I've tried Lineage OS shortly, but went back to stock ROM. One of the reasons was that I didn't liked the layout that much. And it looked that I still had the resolution problem this way.
Another reason was that it seemed that it was ripped of all Google apps and that "GAPS" was needed for this (correct me if I'm wrong).
So I'm not sure if you will recieve security updates at all annymore with this? Supose it needs a manual "GAPS" update when new security updates are available?

Again, maybe my understanding is false in this one...

bendror76

May 23, 2016
i finally succeeded to flash the latest lineage os - you have to bring back the stock rom (emui) and than do the guide from start. thx alot for this guide and darkjoker rom.
the rom needs adjust for the tab t5, you'll have to install the right apk because on the playstore the device is recognize as huawei phone (p7 i think).

Last edited:

gunpal5

Sep 23, 2020
Is lineageOs 18.1 any good? Last time I tried openkirin version android 9 and it was no good.

Also, what about security? How safe is this unofficial ROM?

theslut

May 12, 2012
I can't get the decrypter to install. It says the vendor partition and the some other partitions are not writable and fails to install.

Can some one tell me how to solve this. Thanks

-- Nevermind---had the wrong twrp installed from another guide. Installing the rom now so will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for all the posts in a row 1/2 day apart
    Now have play store and able to login.
    Most apps download from the play store, but a few dont seem to, Office doesn't for example.

Gapps -> arm64 -> 11 -> Pico (I used open_gapps-arm64-11.0-pico-20210903.zip))

Wipe both cache and dalvik cache in TWRP

Note I HAVE made the local.prop change noted earlier.

Keen to understand how to move to being more of a tablet mode, than Phone (nex thing on my todo list now I have it working...

Also looking forward to being able to get frequent patches !
    Thanks all.
    Perfect that rotates the lockscreen!
    Nova launcher -> Look and Feel has an option to set launcher to "Auto Rotate"
    That problem is all solved thanks @Blleys
    Nova launcher -> Look and Feel has an option to set launcher to "Auto Rotate"
    Screenshot_20210909-214922_Nova_Launcher.png

Also my choice: Nova Launcher ;)
    Hello there. Hope this helps!

FIRST OF ALL, this WILL VOID your waranty. Read the steps BEFORE doing anything.

WEWEWEWE lessgooo:

• UNLOCK BOOTLOADER: It's not "easy" at all (You'll have to open your tab).
      • Go to device info on tab settings.
      • Press compilation number for several times until "you're a dev" message appears (It'll prolly ask your pattern/password to continue).
      • Go to dev options and enable OEM unlocking.
      • Shut down the tab.

• Download PotatoNV sofware from here. (Credits to mashed-potatoes)
      • Download minimal adb and fastboot from here.

• Prepare your environment:
        • Open your tablet
        • Grab a clip or a cable
        • Keep your cool
      • Follow the steps shown here.
      • Here you have an image of where the testpoint is.

• FLASH TWRP INTO THE TAB:
      • Follow CAREFULLY this steps:
        • Shut down the tab
        • Connect the tab to the PC and hold vol- & pwr button.
      • Now it'll appear a white screen with some text. If it appears "OEM unlock" in green, then everything's fine. IF NOT, follow unlock bootloader steps again. Then try rebooting into fastboot mode again (vol- & pwr).

• Download most compatible TWRP from here.
    • Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot and write this:
    • "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk path_of_twrp.img" (Move twrp to minimal adb folder for no complications)
    • It should appear everything OK.

• Type "fastboot reboot"
    • Fastly disconnect the tab from PC and hold vol+ & pwr button before Huawei logo appears (if it appears, just do a hard reboot (hold pwr button) and try again.
    • You're now booting into TWRP!

• DOWNLOAD RESOURCES AND PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE PARTY (This is the most important step)
      • Download data decrypter from attached files below the post (decryptemui8.zip)
      • Download ROM from here (credits: @DarkJoker360 ) DarkJoker's Post here
      • (OPTIONAL) Download Nikgapps from here

• ONCE in TWRP, flash decrypter (decryptemui8.zip) on "install" option
      • Go to wipe>advanced wipe and select: dalvink/art cache, cache, data, internal storage and system.
      • Return to main menu and go to reboot>reboot bootloader
      • Connect your device to the PC (while rebooting) and wait to be into bootloader (white screen with a droid).

• Open minimal adb and fastboot tools and type:
      • "fastboot flash system path_of_rom.img" (it MUST be decompressed to an .img file)
      • Wait...
      • Once it has finished, type: "fastboot reboot"
      • DONE! you have LOS18.1 now!
      • (optional gapps on next step)

• GAPPS INSTALLATION ON MEDIAPAD T5 IT'S DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PHONES!!!!!!!

• FOLLOW THIS STEPS VERY CAREFULLY!!!
      • Move gapps zip and add-ons to an sd card
      • Reboot to TWRP
      • Go to mount>select system. Return to main menu
      • Go to advanced>file manager
      • Go to system>system_ext>apex.
        • Once in apex, enter on vndk27 and vndk28 and delete them (once in vndk27/vndk28 folder, in the bottom-right corner, it'll appear a symbol with a folder with a "tick" on it. Just tap it)
      • LEAVE ONLY VNDK CURRENT AND VNDK26 FOLDERS (and the rest obviously. Just delete 27/28)

• Return to main menu
      • Go to wipe>advanced wipe. Select system and tap on repair/resize partition (slide to continue)
      • Then go to main menu>install and install gapps as usual (sliding lol)

• FOR ROOT METHOD:
      • Just follow the steps shown on the main post.
      • WORKING ROOT CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH MAGISK METHOD (installing apk for using preroot MUST perform random SystemUI reboots ; ).

Hey,

I've tried this, but cant get it too boot.

My device is Huawei AGS2-W09.

I've unlocked the bootloader/installed twrp, flashed the decrypter etc.

Then after i do fastboot reboot, it loads up the Lineage OS splash/loading screen, but stays on that for about 10 mins, then reboots and goes to Huawei eRecovery screen.

I've tried repeating the steps, in case it didn't flash properly.

Any ideas?
    For those facing problems:
    PM Me via telegram @Fosanz

JOIN T5 SUPPORT GROUP

I will post the solutions here on the main post as problems appear
    Code:
    oem unlock <code>

Hope it helps ;)
    Yes thanks a lot!
    That helped :)

btw. Do you know if there's a way to root the tab with just stock ROM? You direct to here in your guide of Lineage. But it looks like it's just an extra step? But I don't see or understand how to use this on stock ROM so far.

Turned out that the device is behaving diffrently when connected to a PC. Gues the device was connected to PC before when getting into eRecovery. Not connected it brings you to Recovery.

Made a litle overview about this. Hope it can help others too:

Fastboot/ Bootloader mode:
    3. Hold down Volume-Down.
    4. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Down and USB connected).
    4. Tablet boots now into Fastboot-mode.

Huawei Recovery mode:
    2. Hold down Volume-Up.
    4. Tablet boots now into Recovery mode.

Huawei eRecovery mode:
    3. Hold down Volume-Up.
    4. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Up and USB connected).
    5. Tablet boots now into eRecovery mode.

Or with unlocked bootloader:

1. Turn off the device by holding the Power key for a few seconds, or reboot.
    2. On the "unlocked and can't be trusted screen", press and hold Volume-Up for about 3 sec.
    3. Tablet boots now into eRecovery mode.

TWRP mode:
    2. Hold down Volume-Up.
    4. Tablet boots now into TWRP mode.

Unlock bootloader with obtained unlock-code:
    1. Enable "OEM unlock" and "USB debugging" on the device.
    2. Get into "Fastboot/ Bootloader mode" manually or type [adb reboot bootloader] in "minimal ADB and Fastboot".
    3. Type in [fastboot oem unlock <unlock-code>] into "minimal ADB and Fastboot".
    4. Bootloader gets unlocked and tablet gets a factory reset.
    Just as a hint. I don't think you need to open your tablet again.
    Keep the unlock code generated by PotatoNV save. In my case I relocked and unlocked the tablet several times with the unlock code without the testpont method.
    OK, so, if anybody wants to try to install L0S18, go right away and join Telegram group of this member, beacuse the suport is not provided here (entendi bien?). What is the purpose of this forum then?
    Debido a que tú pregunta no tiene nada que ver con la instalación, sino que estás preguntando por los cambios hechos, no voy a empezar ni una discusión ni una conversación por un hilo con tal de evitar overflooding de mensajes. Así que por favor y si no te molesta, te asistiré por Telegram, de manera que el problema que tú tengas pueda ser solucionado lo más rápido posible para yo poder modificar lo que pueda estar mal en el hilo principal y así no hacer que la gente que quiere instalar Lineage solo mirando el thread principal (que lo hace la gran mayoría) tenga el mismo error que tú y vuelva a preguntarme lo mismo.

Y si, hay gente que ha logrado instalar Lineage os 18.1 correctamente y gracias a que se unió al grupo pude modificar partes de la instalación que eran cruciales para otros modelos de mediapadt5.

Un saludo