LineageOS 16.0 for the Project Tango Tablet (ATAP)

Search This thread

eekcat

May 15, 2009
"lineage-16.0-20220908-UNOFFICIAL-yellowstone.zip" seems to be the problem.
Only the Tango logo is displayed and the reboot continues.
I am currently using "lineage-16.0-20220810-UNOFFICIAL-yellowstone.zip".
It is the same both in "System" -> "Updater" and in recovery sideload.

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
I'll take a look.

Reactions: muellerm30

xaxxelous

Jul 16, 2016
Sonora
LG V30
LG V40
Darn, shoulda grabbed it to try.

I wiped and redid both of mine last week. I could only get 20220717 to work.

Last edited:

gumbyx84

Not to be a pain, but has the issue mentioned above been fixed? I'm planning on using my Shield K1 for game streaming and wouldn't mind trying the Project Tango image so it can run the latest version of Android it can.

3 related questions:
  1. Is this more stable than the unofficial LineageOS 14.1 image (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-lineageos-14-1-lineageos-15-1.3950786/)?
  2. Does it run better than the unofficial LineageOS 14.1 image (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-lineageos-14-1-lineageos-15-1.3950786/
  3. Can I use the latest Official Shield Tablet TWRP image (twrp-3.6.1_9-0-shieldtablet.img) or the unofficial Project Tango K1 ATAP TWRP from highwaystar_ru (https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-twrp-project-tango-k1-atap-twrp-3-2-1.3901519/)?

Last edited:

xaxxelous

Jul 16, 2016
Sonora
LG V30
LG V40
You don't need to wait or be a pain. The July 17 build works. Its the best there is for the Tango.

I can't speak for using a Shield recovery on a Tango, but doubt it'll be good. Use a recovery for the same version of Android you're running. I think this speaks to it:

Last edited:

Rob2too

Dec 2, 2011
I am also having no luck with towelroot on my Tango stuck at 4.4.2 and owned since unboxing! Any ideas would be most welcome. :)

akw701

Mar 26, 2016
Lehre
HP Touchpad
Huawei Mate 8
I am also having no luck with towelroot on my Tango stuck at 4.4.2 and owned since unboxing! Any ideas would be most welcome. :)
I got lucky with "SupersSU v2.82 SR5 Beta" from droidfilehost.com page. Just search for it.
With SU applied, knowledge that for Adb commands the tablet had to be normally booted, I followed the instructions for Lineage OS and succeeded in installing the unofficial December, 16th version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many thanks, the November Version works again very well!!!

Regards
    Send from my freshly updated Project Tango Tablet
    I don't want to push, but.....
    I am running the July build until there is a new one..... tomorrow :))
    building right now, but Yellowstone is last in the list - so maybe 20 hours?
    may i ask two questions about the dec 16th build?
    1- charging by USB MICRO stops working after installing this update. what changed in the update?(weirdness part, if plugged into a QCS 3.0, starting from a cold boot, it charges for the short boot moment then stops just as the LINEAGE logo transitions to home screen. -- wont charge when off, and wont charge when on, only this short window from boot)
    2-under display , themes, the green color if selected, turns everything blue?
    I will look into this. The drivers for the charger and the external connector (dock charging component) were written for 3.4, and the driver is SUPER hacky. I had to port it to 3.10, but it really needs a clean rewrite to play nicely. The tablet has a pretty high power budget and often the MicroUSB port might not be able to provide enough amperage while the device is in use. The NVidia charging code is somewhat cryptic and it takes a while to reverse what is actually going on. There's some odd behavior with the interrupts handling switching between USB and the dock for charging. Inside the charging IC there is a switch to enable 12V input (charging via dock), and sometimes this can get into an inconsistent state. There's technically TWO batteries wired together as one battery that requires a higher voltage (~8V) than say your typical battery which is usually running at 3.7V.

Part of the problem is that in order to use 3.10 effectively (Secure Storage, some DRM stuff, etc...), we need ARM PSCI support (especially if we look beyond 3.10 in the future). TN8 (Shield Tablet) received this while Yellowstone was still stuck on Trusted Foundations TEE. There's a handful of binaries that use some of the newer TOS functionality as well.

I had to kang the TN8 early bootloader (nvtboot) in order to load the newer PSCI-compatible TOS (TrustZone image) according to the newer mechanism (Yellowstone OEM bootloader doesn't support this loading mechanism). One problem is that the TN8 early bootloader doesn't support the charging or battery ICs on the Yellowstone, so the chips come up from boot in an inconsistent state that needs to be cleaned up by the kernel.

I did come across a more recent TOS image that was released for Yellowstone that fixes some of the off-mode charging and standby/sleep charging, but it still doesn't address loading the PSCI TOS image correctly. I had to reverse engineer both bootloaders and do some patches to make it play nicely with the newer kernel as well. It may be possible to embed the TOS loading code into the Yellowstone early bootloader, but this is extremely tedious and time consuming and requires extensive testing.

I did start writing the PSCI code from scratch in assembley for their PSCI implementation so I could have u-boot replace the early stage bootloader, but it requires a significant amount of effort and intimate knowledge of the hardware. I simply don't have the time to do so.

I took a hiatus from programming about a year ago because I had spent about 18 months working on this device non-stop and other security research work and burned out. It wasn't fun for me anymore and I didn't have as much time. I will have a bit more time now and the will is returning so I am hoping to pick up where I left off.
    Many thanks, the November Version works again very well!!!

Regards
    Send from my freshly updated Project Tango Tablet
    And to answer the question - It's a hybrid of tn8's (Shield Tablet) nvboot and a heavily disassembled/reassembled applications bootloader to support the newer TLK/Secure World and PSCI kernel from tn8, allowing us to use kernel 3.10 from nv-tegra as opposed to 3.4 from Google. Much cleaner, must snappier, plus it lets us use Shield Tablet proprietary files for graphics, etc. which has an official Nougat release, which is way easier to work with than KitKat blobs from stock. We split out and use as many tn8 blobs as we can, and yellowstone stock where we need to.

It was designed almost entirely by @ryanbg -he's a legend, and one of the big reasons this device got anything more than cm-14.1 - I did most of the Android-side bringup (which was rough), but his work on kernel and firmware enabled it :)

I was looking into it seeing if maybe I could help. I had been looking at the tos.img alone thinking that was it. But wow man I probably would have never gotten to the bootloader like that. Thank you and @ryanbg for putting all the work in.
    I'm using this : https://updater.oddsolutions.us/yellowstone#/devices/shieldtablet/builds
    And this topic is in Shield Tablet.
    Is it a bug from the new XDA ?
    Project Tango has no forums of it's own, so we are using Shield Tablets as a home for now.

Additionally, the shiledtablet builds you linked are unsupported test builds - there will be no support provided for those.
    may i ask two questions about the dec 16th build?
    1- charging by USB MICRO stops working after installing this update. what changed in the update?(weirdness part, if plugged into a QCS 3.0, starting from a cold boot, it charges for the short boot moment then stops just as the LINEAGE logo transitions to home screen. -- wont charge when off, and wont charge when on, only this short window from boot)
    2-under display , themes, the green color if selected, turns everything blue?