• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LineageOS 18.1 for SM-T580 (gtaxlwifi) and SM-P580 (gtanotexlwifi)

Search This thread

D.u.G.

Aug 17, 2021
Thanks for reporting that (very subtle) problem. I've found the cause of it, and it will be fixed in my next releases.

@TALUAtXDA -​

First off thank you for compiling an 18.1 rom for this old tablet. Me boy has one, and I badly need to wipe, update it - so may as well make it a fresh, new lineageos 18.1

Apparently, years ago I rooted the stock os with twrp and rooted with magisk. This was back on android 7 however.

So,,,,,, Can you give the proper steps to take to install your new lineageos? AKA, do I need to update twrp? Do I need to update stock OS before flashing lineage?

Also, if I do need to update twrp, as I expect I do, not even sure if there is a twrp for A11 yet, so I may have to use lineage recovery???? If you could include some basic instructions.

Finally, is there a way to go microG on these old devices? I have a new phone I am using the lineageOS + microG rom (easier than figuring out microG install) so I'd like to see if it's possible while this stuff is fresh in my head, but I can do without microG if it's difficult.

AKA< please advise as below.

1- flash "this" recovery via adb or odin (version)
2 - flash "this" rom + magisk+ whatever + profit

This would be very helpful, as this device is so old there is not updated info.....

Thanks,

D

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A6
Redmi Note 8
I would strongly recommend doing so, and it would be a necessity if you've got a particularly old version of the stock firmware.

Assuming you're still on an older version of the stock firmware (although it seems you're implying that you're not), to update, you can, of course, simply go ahead and use the built-in software updater for the first time to upgrade to the latest version of it without doing anything additionally. That would be the easiest way to go about it.

Alternatively, assuming you would do so using a computer running Windows, here are some basic instructions on how you would go about doing so:
You need two tools:
1. A tool called Frija. Use it to download a zip archive containing the latest firmware for your country. You need to specify a CSC for the firmware ("Consumer Software Customization"/"Country Specific Code") (You can find which CSC you need using an app like Devcheck (System -> Original CSC in it), or maybe it's somewhere in the "About tablet" section of settings in the stock firmware. There are also lists of CSC's you can search for that you can get the CSC for your country from.), which can be downloaded from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/.
2. Another tool called Odin to install it. I've got my copy of it from here: https://build.nethunter.com/samsung-tools/Odin_3.13.1.zip

After downloading those tools and the stock firmware using Frija, you should be able to go about installing it by basically doing the following:
  • Extract the downloaded zip archive containing the stock firmware.
  • Open Odin, and select the extracted .tar.md5 files for the corresponding slots - The one with the filename beginning with "AP_" to the AP slot, "BL_" to the BL slot, and "CSC_" to the CSC slot. Ignore the file with the filename beginning with "HOME_CSC_" - Using the one with the filename beginning with "CSC_" will get you a clean install with your data formatted, and using the one with the filename beginning with "HOME_CSC_" will not get your data formatted.
  • Connect your tablet to your computer while it's booted into download mode (Although I'm assuming you know how to, just for information, power it off, and hold Power + Volume Down + Home, and press the Volume Up button to confirm the warning. Just for even more information which might end up being useful, to get out of download mode for whatever reason after accepting the warning, you can hold down Power + Volume down for several seconds.)
  • Wait for Odin to detect your tablet (it should be nearly instant unless there are drivers to automatically install), and start the installation, making sure not to accidentally disconnect your device.
Note that when it reboots, if you were running the stock firmware and were signed into a Google account, you'd need to connect to a WiFi network and enter the credentials for it, unless you've disabled Factory Reset Protection by enabling the "OEM unlock" option in developer options.
If Odin doesn't detect your tablet while booted into download mode, you may need to install the drivers from here: https://developer.samsung.com/mobile/android-usb-driver.html
Let me know if you struggle with it if you go with this rou

I would strongly recommend doing so, and it would be a necessity if you've got a particularly old version of the stock firmware.

Assuming you're still on an older version of the stock firmware (although it seems you're implying that you're not), to update, you can, of course, simply go ahead and use the built-in software updater for the first time to upgrade to the latest version of it without doing anything additionally. That would be the easiest way to go about it.

Alternatively, assuming you would do so using a computer running Windows, here are some basic instructions on how you would go about doing so:
You need two tools:
1. A tool called Frija. Use it to download a zip archive containing the latest firmware for your country. You need to specify a CSC for the firmware ("Consumer Software Customization"/"Country Specific Code") (You can find which CSC you need using an app like Devcheck (System -> Original CSC in it), or maybe it's somewhere in the "About tablet" section of settings in the stock firmware. There are also lists of CSC's you can search for that you can get the CSC for your country from.), which can be downloaded from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-checker.3910594/.
2. Another tool called Odin to install it. I've got my copy of it from here: https://build.nethunter.com/samsung-tools/Odin_3.13.1.zip

After downloading those tools and the stock firmware using Frija, you should be able to go about installing it by basically doing the following:
  • Extract the downloaded zip archive containing the stock firmware.
  • Open Odin, and select the extracted .tar.md5 files for the corresponding slots - The one with the filename beginning with "AP_" to the AP slot, "BL_" to the BL slot, and "CSC_" to the CSC slot. Ignore the file with the filename beginning with "HOME_CSC_" - Using the one with the filename beginning with "CSC_" will get you a clean install with your data formatted, and using the one with the filename beginning with "HOME_CSC_" will not get your data formatted.
  • Connect your tablet to your computer while it's booted into download mode (Although I'm assuming you know how to, just for information, power it off, and hold Power + Volume Down + Home, and press the Volume Up button to confirm the warning. Just for even more information which might end up being useful, to get out of download mode for whatever reason after accepting the warning, you can hold down Power + Volume down for several seconds.)
  • Wait for Odin to detect your tablet (it should be nearly instant unless there are drivers to automatically install), and start the installation, making sure not to accidentally disconnect your device.
Note that when it reboots, if you were running the stock firmware and were signed into a Google account, you'd need to connect to a WiFi network and enter the credentials for it, unless you've disabled Factory Reset Protection by enabling the "OEM unlock" option in developer options.
If Odin doesn't detect your tablet while booted into download mode, you may need to install the drivers from here: https://developer.samsung.com/mobile/android-usb-driver.html
Let me know if you struggle with it if you go with this route.
I just wanted to switch to your rom but unfortunately I did a dumb mistake (ignoring some Samsung specific problems) and would therefI just wanted to switch to your rom but unfortunately I did a dumb mistake (ignoring some Samsung specific problems) and would therefore highly appreciate your help. Since the help I need is not related to your rom, should I better send you a pm outside this thread?ore highly appreciate your help. Since the help I need is not related to your rom, should I better send you a pm outside this thread?

Solved!

Last edited:

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
First off thank you for compiling an 18.1 rom for this old tablet. Me boy has one, and I badly need to wipe, update it - so may as well make it a fresh, new lineageos 18.1

Apparently, years ago I rooted the stock os with twrp and rooted with magisk. This was back on android 7 however.

So,,,,,, Can you give the proper steps to take to install your new lineageos? AKA, do I need to update twrp? Do I need to update stock OS before flashing lineage?

Also, if I do need to update twrp, as I expect I do, not even sure if there is a twrp for A11 yet, so I may have to use lineage recovery???? If you could include some basic instructions.

Finally, is there a way to go microG on these old devices? I have a new phone I am using the lineageOS + microG rom (easier than figuring out microG install) so I'd like to see if it's possible while this stuff is fresh in my head, but I can do without microG if it's difficult.
You're welcome.

I would recommend updating to the latest version of the stock firmware before installation. If the stock firmware that you have now happens to be too old, this would be a requirement. Look back to the last several posts for some basic instructions on how to do so and also some other information.

You just need the latest TWRP build from here: https://dl.twrp.me/gtaxlwifi/ Use Odin to install it after updating to the latest version of the stock firmware from the available tar archive (which you need to select for the AP slot).

As for microG, you can get installation packages for it. I'm using Nanodroid microG.

After updating to the latest version of the stock firmware and installing the latest TWRP build, in TWRP, you would just need to format the system and data partitions (Wipe -> Format data to format the data partition), possibly reboot into recovery again after that, and transfer and install my build and any additional packages (Magisk, one for microG and any others) that you need.

anderskaseorg

Jan 18, 2015
I've now made a new build for the P580 as I said I would, with the SELinux denials causing bootlooping addressed, which can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhLyhinIKF5gpd1kUrIlrVVxoCXueToe/

Along with that, I've also included some updates to the kernel from Linux v4.4.

Thanks for working on this device! I tried this out on my P580 and noticed an issue: if I try to enable encryption (Security → Encryption & credentials → Encrypt tablet), the device warns me that it will take an hour or more, but then just reboots in ~20 seconds without encrypting anything. I found this error in logcat:

Code:
08-29 22:44:25.331  2510  2510 D vold    : fdeEnable(3, *, 0)
08-29 22:44:25.331  2510  2510 D vold    : !fscrypt_is_native, spawning fdeEnableInternal
08-29 22:44:25.334  2510  8668 E Cryptfs : Bad magic for real block device /dev/block/platform/13540000.dwmmc0/by-name/USERDATA
08-29 22:44:25.335  2510  8668 E Cryptfs : Orig filesystem overlaps crypto footer region.  Cannot encrypt in place.

which this old issue suggests is a problem with the filesystem size.

(Though shouldn’t an Android 11 device be using FBE rather than FDE, anyway?)

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for working on this device! I tried this out on my P580 and noticed an issue: if I try to enable encryption (Security → Encryption & credentials → Encrypt tablet), the device warns me that it will take an hour or more, but then just reboots in ~20 seconds without encrypting anything. I found this error in logcat:

Code:
08-29 22:44:25.331  2510  2510 D vold    : fdeEnable(3, *, 0)
08-29 22:44:25.331  2510  2510 D vold    : !fscrypt_is_native, spawning fdeEnableInternal
08-29 22:44:25.334  2510  8668 E Cryptfs : Bad magic for real block device /dev/block/platform/13540000.dwmmc0/by-name/USERDATA
08-29 22:44:25.335  2510  8668 E Cryptfs : Orig filesystem overlaps crypto footer region.  Cannot encrypt in place.

which this old issue suggests is a problem with the filesystem size.
You're welcome. That issue would indeed be caused by the size of the userdata filesystem. In the userdata partition, there needs to be a small amount (20480 bytes considering 32GB devices) of unallocated space left at the end of it after the actual filesystem for a crypto footer, which is mentioned in that last error message.

Such small amount of space needs to be left during formatting, which is done in TWRP. Therefore, the issue is not actually in my build, but rather the TWRP build that has to be used. Looking at the device tree that was used for @unknowwiiplayer's TWRP build, in the recovery.fstab file, a flag called "length" is not set for userdata: https://github.com/unknowwiiplayer/...cbcfb6293bf4955c46a42c4f4f/recovery.fstab#L18
For TWRP builds for gtaxlwifi, the "length" flag is set to "-20480", to leave 20480 bytes at the end of the userdata partition after the filesystem when formatting here: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_...4c161da6608d3cc48c3926d40f2/recovery.fstab#L5

I'll look at getting a working TWRP build out in some way that won't cause that issue slightly later.
(Though shouldn’t an Android 11 device be using FBE rather than FDE, anyway?)
These LineageOS builds and I think most others are still setup to use FDE, which is still a thing, but I think is slated for removal for a later Android version (Android 12 will as far as I can tell probably be the last version supporting FDE). I've personally chosen to stick with FDE for now due to some usability issues that currently exist with FBE that I found while testing it out (such as TWRP not being able to mount data filesystems encrypted using FBE).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rawwrius01

60Tom

Mar 13, 2011
Wow... I'm really pleased I found this discussion and congratulate those who developed this upgrade for our old Samsung Tablet. Wife said use her old tablet or it was going to our grandson. At 27 he can buy his own tablet!

I've surprised myself that in a week I've been able to install Odin and then use it to install TWRP on the tablet. TWRP installed this ROM onto the tablet and I even managed to root the device by installing Magisk. The old tablet has a new lease on life... like me :)

I hope I'm not in the wrong area but what I'd like to do with the tablet is make it a gps head unit in our 4WD. I want it to automatically power up when the ignition is turned on and have read this is possible by modifying the boot loader. My googling suggests I need to run a command "oem-off-mode charge 0"

Is this possible with this ROM????

Thanks

Tom

sams_a6

Sep 5, 2021
I only wan't to say: BIG thank you for this rom! I really enjoy the LineageOS 18.1 on my older tablet T-580. This tablet is used daily and works great with this rom. After approx a week of usage of LOS 18.1 I have not found a single issue and everything what I need works (wifi, browsers, netflix, games, pdf, youtube..)

I'd echo this, a massive thanks to TALUAtXDA for making this rom! I wanted to revive my T580 which was running so slowly on the bloated Samsung (now outdated) firmware, and this has been a massive boost to it's performance and probably saved me buying a new tablet for another few years.

The idea of this post is just to share my experience so it can help someone else.

Thanks again!

Thanks davemaxd for these great instructions! Just enough detail to get me all up and running! Appreciated!

Reactions: Uluru25

Rymaaan

Dec 2, 2020
@TALUAtXDA Wow I've been out of the custom ROM scene for a long time now so was very surprised to see custom roms by you and @followmsi for the T580. Didn't think there would be any for a tablet that is 5 years old anyway and was ready to sell it on until I found your ROM. It has given the 580 a new lease of life and certainly better than the stock rom now its no longer in supported, so thank you and hope you both continue the amazing work on the scene for the T580. 👏

Kat Jillianne

Sep 18, 2020
You have no idea how grateful and excited I am knowing that someone finally ported a aosp rom to this tablet. Been using mine as a digital artbook for 4 years now, frustrated about how sluggish stock Oreo is.

Despite knowing that so far there's only builds for P580, I would install this on my P585 anyway, and I did!
Booted perfectly, S-pen worked with "hover detection", will test pressure sensitivity later. No sim/mobile data of course, but I don't really care about that, rarely ever used it anyway.

Again, thanks a ton!!! Looking forward for P585 build for full functionalities!

Update 1: S-pen pressure sensitivity works, however palm rejection behaves weirdly that pen input frequently became unresponsive.

Update 2: no vibration. Sometimes SystemUI crashes when openning setting from expanded quick toggles.

Last edited:

skiwarz

Jan 31, 2018
I've now made a new build for the P580 as I said I would, with the SELinux denials causing bootlooping addressed, which can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhLyhinIKF5gpd1kUrIlrVVxoCXueToe/

Along with that, I've also included some updates to the kernel from Linux v4.4.
Worked for me...
I spent two straight weeks trying (unsuccessfully) to modify your T580 code to work on my P580... and here you just did it without even owning one... nice job.

Thebacklash

Sep 17, 2021
So i’m having a little issue here. I’ve installed CFW in the past on other phones/tablets, but never used TWRP.
Used the files and instructions here and in the “Newbie Friendly” thread that was also posted in this thread. I can get Lineage 18.1 up and running now, but when I check to verify Root it says i’m not rooted. (Root Checker)

I probably don’t need root anyway, it’s the point that I can’t get it to work following the instructions. This tablet is just a test to see if i want to switch my S10+ over to lineage permanently. And from what i’ve been reading root must be done during install and can’t be done afterwards?

Using the TWRP and SuperSU method (SuperSU 2.82 is the newest version i found)
When I do the install in TWRP i select the Lineage zip, then the Gapps zip, then the SuperSU zip.
Is there something i did wrong? wrong order? Missed something?

Uluru25

Nov 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy A6
Redmi Note 8
So i’m having a little issue here. I’ve installed CFW in the past on other phones/tablets, but never used TWRP.
Used the files and instructions here and in the “Newbie Friendly” thread that was also posted in this thread. I can get Lineage 18.1 up and running now, but when I check to verify Root it says i’m not rooted. (Root Checker)

I probably don’t need root anyway, it’s the point that I can’t get it to work following the instructions. This tablet is just a test to see if i want to switch my S10+ over to lineage permanently. And from what i’ve been reading root must be done during install and can’t be done afterwards?

Using the TWRP and SuperSU method (SuperSU 2.82 is the newest version i found)
When I do the install in TWRP i select the Lineage zip, then the Gapps zip, then the SuperSU zip.
Is there something i did wrong? wrong order? Missed something?
I used Magisk (v23.0) instead of SuperSU: download the .apk file, manually rename the extension to .zip, the boot into recovery and install this zip. Secondly, I don't use gapps, but this should not be a concern.

crazyates

Feb 24, 2017
Sanford, ME
Just wanted to say that I have about half dozen P580, and this is working great on all of them! The official TWRP doesn't boot, but the 3.3 TWRP you linked works, and overall it's working great! Only a quick thing to note:

- I had to install the ROM, boot it up and set it up, then go back into TWRP and install GAPPS. If I installed them both at the same time, it would just sit there on the boot animation for hours and never boot. Not sure it's problem with TWRP or the ROM, but just something I noticed.
- With stock 8.1, the OS would use about 1.5/3.0GB RAM, and I was expecting this to drop on a bone-stock ROM. This isn't true. Fresh install of this ROM and it's using the same 1.5/3.0GB. There isn't any Samsung crap running, but I suspect Android 11 uses more RAM than Android 8. Not a huge deal, just something to note.
- I'm using most of them with GAPPs, but one of them without. I haven't run a non-Google'd ROM in a while, and it's totally fascinating what apps work fine and what apps don't. Clash of Clans runs fine (besides being a bit slow), but AccuWeather fails to move pasts the splash screen.

Thanks for all your work! I hate the Samsung software on these tablets, and this breathed new life into them!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New releases for 20211023

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Frtwih9h3suHOQ9jFcID53osD6M7iJvl/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1niGeY4cNDy5OAhoJd04P5MPQci3ztC9W/

Changelog:

• Latest updates from Lineage, including the 20211001 Android security updates, and a fix for the issue where the media controls in the notification panel squash the quick settings tiles and make it impossible to swipe through them when in landscape.
    • Workarounds for an issue with rebooting to recovery and download mode from system using the advanced restart menu or the reboot command in a shell have been replaced with a proper fix.
    • Yet further slight miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only] A problem where S-Pen input wasn't registering in the right directions in orientations other than portrait, as the axes for it didn't change on orientation changes accordingly, has been fixed by enabling orientation awareness for it (Thanks to @retiredtab for sharing that fix).
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only] The cursor that appeared when using the S-Pen has effectively been disabled by setting the device type for the S-Pen input to a touchscreen (Thanks to @Acatzin for the hint for this).
    • [SM-T580/gtaxlwifi only] The system image size has been increased from 3072000000 bytes to 3145728000 bytes, which is the size of the system partition on Korean and Chinese variant T580s and T585s, and the smallest system partition size out of all T580s and T585s.
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only] The system image size has been decreased from 3072000000 bytes to 3045064704 bytes, to accomodate for the SM-P583s system partition which has that size. With this change, it should now be possible to install this latest build for the P580 on the P583 and for it to boot fine, since the P583 basically seems to be a P580 but for China, although I can't be certain on that.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    As usual, enjoy.
    Hello, first of all, I would like to congratulate you for this magnificent structure and the extraordinary achievement you have shown. As someone who uses SM-P580, thank you very much for both the "TWRP" and "LOS 18.1" build you made. I installed it today and it works flawlessly. ( The build I uploaded is the latest version ( 2021.09.22 ) . I would like to ask you to adapt the "CrDroid" structure for the SM-P580. CrDroid provides much more customization as well as better visual integrity, useful features ( Unlimited Google Photos Backup, 3 I have no doubt that you will move towards the official version with this build, thank you again and again for everything, I will be eagerly awaiting your CrDroid build.
    I'm not going to make any CrDroid builds for the P580. I don't have any time that I can invest to do so, interest in CrDroid, motivation, or disk space, much of which I'm reserving for other stuff, for CrDroid sources along with space for temporary files for the build process. Also, your statement that you "will be eagerly awaiting [my] CrDroid build" implies that you're expecting a build, even though you didn't have any confirmation that I would make one, which makes you look like you feel entitled to one.

When I asked @followmsi, who makes the CrDroid builds in the thread here, which was also linked in @Uluru25's post, if he would make CrDroid builds for the P580 in the future, he told me that he understandably doesn't have any time for devices he doesn't own, and therefore wouldn't. With that, your only options are to make a build of CrDroid yourself, for which you can use my entirely freely available sources, or just use my LineageOS builds.

I'm not sure how you can expect me to go through with making this official, especially with the few issues that I've conveniently listed in my "Known issues and workarounds (if any)" section of my original post (yeah, flawless is an exaggeration). If you also searched through my thread, you would probably have found my post here, in which I list a few reasons for why it's not possible to go official, which all remain relevant until now and the forseeable future.

By the way, you shouldn't have also sent me a message with a complete copy of this same post. It's futile.
    Hey, im trying to compile the kernel with gcc12, using the Ares Kernel source. I'm getting this error and can't find a fix. It still persists, when I'm using the stock defconfig.
    Firstly, I can't provide support for any other kernel sources. Anything that you do that is not in relation to my very own sources is entirely up to you. I can only provide support for my own sources, which I actively maintain and know relatively well.

Secondly, it would be a lot more beneficial to just stick with my kernel sources. I remember ares kernel sources being full of gimmicky and simply bad changes, and the sources that are publicly available are no longer updated. Meanwhile, I'm actively maintaining my kernel sources, and applying many changes, most of which are from Linux v4.4 and the Android 3.18 common kernel, to them, which, of course, include security updates that you won't have with a kernel compiled from ares sources. Also, I can think of a few likely reasons for why a kernel compiled from ares sources wouldn't even work with my builds, which would require additional changes to get around, so it's also best to just avoid the troubles with that.
    Concur. S-pen registers movements in portrait orientation, no matter the orientation of the screen. So, in landscape mode, moving the s-pen up causes the cursor to move right, etc.
    @TALUAtXDA , I don't have either the T580 or P580, but I ran into this on the P550 where S-pen only worked in portrait mode. The fix is really easy. See post #32 at

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ab-a-9-7-sm-p550.4160909/page-2#post-83712287

For @skiwarz and @Acatzin, you can put the sec_e-pen.idc file into the system yourself using TWRP.
    @TALUAtXDA, I'm not 100% sure. My test was on a SM-P550 qualcomm msm8916 platform and on 17.1 and I had both lines in the file. Unfortunately, my P550 build with s-pen was too unstable with random crashes and after weeks of troubleshooting, I gave up and never made a public release of s-pen.

The SM-T580 is Exynos 7870 according to gsmarena and I think it uses a different s-pen driver than msm8916. So it's possible that a different s-pen driver and newer versions of LineageOS the above line of code may not be required?

Maybe regarding the above, we can get @skiwarz and @Acatzin to do a quick test and only have that one line in to see if it works. It's super easy for them to try and report back.
    I did the test by putting "touch.deviceType" to "pointer", "default" or just completely omitting the setting, and it makes no difference, in all cases an arrow appears as a cursor; however, setting "touch.deviceType = touchscreen" does not draw any cursor and this can be more comfortable because it does not visually interfere with typing. I tried typing in the Inkredible app and it worked fine.
    You're welcome, and excellent.
    The "A6" boot splashscreen you describe would actually be the completely stock and static splashscreen.

I don't think there should ever be any complete expectations for a build for the T585. As I've always said before in my previous posts, I'm only going to attempt to setup sources for the T585 to build for it, whenever I have the time to, which unfortunately I've still ended up not having much of. I can never be certain if I'm going to succeed.

While I do think I have a decent enough chance at success (although I'm less confident than I was before after taking a better look at the previous sources that were used for the T585), the undeniable reality is that there can only possibly be full expectations for me to setup proper sources and get working builds if I have physical access to a T585, to freely test and "experiment" on. Builds for the T585 boot on the T580, just as builds for the T580 boot on the T585, so I can take advantage of that, however, it's a far from perfect compromise, because that can only be used for testing of fairly basic things.

With that being said, what I have now is a vendor tree that I've converted for the T585 several days ago and am not very sure about for now here: https://github.com/TALUAtGitHub/android_vendor_samsung_gtaxllte I've mostly used the blobs that were previously used for the T585 for a safe starting point, although I would prefer to have more up-to-date blobs, which is something to potentially consider later. Now, the next big thing would be to setup a device tree. There wouldn't be very much to add to, or replace in, my device tree for the T580, to convert it for the T585, after all, it's just mobile networking/telephony, GPS, and vibration, however, it's not all about simply adding and replacing stuff, but also most importantly, of course, having everything setup such that it actually works, and this is where things get somewhat difficult and I have to make hard decisions that I'm not entirely certain about. Also, there's the sepolicy, containing all of the SELinux rules, to which new rules would need to be added for the additional functionality, which would be a relatively involved process. I'm hoping for eventual success with all of this stuff.

Thanks for your report. Looking into this, I've found that the ramdisks for builds from my device trees for TWRP for the P580 and P585 are around 2MB larger than those for the T580 and T585, due to the inclusion of a few extra languages for the P580 and P585 that require some fonts that are quite large, and they end up being around 16MB. It seems that the bootloaders refuse to boot from recovery images with a ramdisk that is larger than 16MB.
    I've made another TWRP build for the P580, with the ramdisk compressed using LZMA compression, rather than the standard gzip compression with which the ramdisk in the first build was compressed, bringing the size of the ramdisk from that size of around 16MB down to around 11MB, and therefore, that error from the bootloader about an invalid ramdisk length should no longer occur with it, and it should work. The image of it can be downloaded from here. Could you please test that build out?
    Yep, it works now. I was able to resize my data partition from your previous instructions. Encryption now works on the P580. Thanks!
    This is LineageOS 18.1, which is based on Android 11, for the WiFi-only variants of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016), with model SM-T580 and codename gtaxlwifi, and the Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016) with S-Pen, with model SM-P580 and codename gtanotexlwifi. LineageOS doesn't need much of an introduction - It's a well-known custom firmware/Android distribution.

As was always planned, my LineageOS 18.1 builds are a continuation from @followmsi's LineageOS 18.1 builds that were intended for use by users. To update from his builds, my builds can simply be installed on top of his builds without doing anything further.

Downloads:
    Note: While these builds are intended to be used on the WiFi-only variants of these devices, they can be installed and used on LTE variants if you can go without mobile networking (of course), GPS and vibration. I'm planning to try to setup sources to make builds for the LTE variants sometime in the future whenever I have the time to.

For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi:

Latest build from 20211023 (with security patch level 20211001): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Frtwih9h3suHOQ9jFcID53osD6M7iJvl/
    Folder for builds (which includes text files with MD5 and SHA256 checksums for builds, and another folder within it containing some previous builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wuirD9cyoguv7CQdEO5ymZ911k2ASKKD

For the T580, the latest official TWRP build from here should be used. If installing a build for the T580 to the LTE variant, with model SM-T585 and codename gtaxllte, keeping in mind some functionality will of course be missing as described in my note, the latest official TWRP build for gtaxllte from here can also be used.

For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi:
    Latest build from 20211023 (with security patch level 20211001): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1niGeY4cNDy5OAhoJd04P5MPQci3ztC9W/
    Folder for builds (which includes text files with MD5 and SHA256 checksums for builds, and another folder within it containing some previous builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fVGx1xGUxAtTvE0rG-OidwbXLM_93om2

For the P580, I've made an unofficial TWRP build from an updated device tree and with a kernel compiled from the same sources used for these LineageOS builds that must be used.
    Download link for an image of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eNOn9IRCj98dpx7fCSnPBQu0FIOsKZrr/
    Download link for a tar archive containing it for installation via Odin in the AP slot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oTurdJuNSQpl2PrEJDZpNjKdCTMapokE/
    Note that this is a second build, that has a ramdisk compressed using LZMA compression, rather than using standard gzip compression as it was in my first build since it's too large with it.

Changelogs:
    Releases for 20211023:
    • Latest updates from Lineage, including the 20211001 Android security updates, and a fix for the issue where the media controls in the notification panel squash the quick settings tiles and make it impossible to swipe through them when in landscape.
    • Workarounds for an issue with rebooting to recovery and download mode from system using the advanced restart menu or the reboot command in a shell have been replaced with a proper fix.
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only] A problem where S-Pen input wasn't registering in the right directions in orientations other than portrait, as the axes for it didn't change on orientation changes accordingly, has been fixed by enabling orientation awareness for it (Thanks to @retiredtab for sharing that fix).
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only] The cursor that appeared when using the S-Pen has effectively been disabled by setting the device type for the S-Pen input to a touchscreen (Thanks to @Acatzin for the hint for this).
    • [SM-T580/gtaxlwifi only] The system image size has been increased from 3072000000 bytes to 3145728000 bytes, which is the size of the system partition on Korean and Chinese variant T580s and T585s, and the smallest system partition size out of all T580s and T585s.
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only] The system image size has been decreased from 3072000000 bytes to 3045064704 bytes, to accomodate for the SM-P583s system partition which has that size. With this change, it should now be possible to install this latest build for the P580 on the P583 and for it to boot fine, since the P583 basically seems to be a P580 but for China, although I can't be certain on that.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    Previous releases:
    Releases for 20210922:
    • Latest updates from Lineage, including the 20210905 Android security updates.
    • The ZRAM size has been increased to 768MiB.
    • Even further miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • The 32-bit wcnss_filter binary, used for Bluetooth, that was used previously has been replaced with the 64-bit wcnss_filter binary from Samsung's A520FZTU4BRB1 firmware.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 and 4.4 Android common kernels and Linux 4.4, a few changes backported from mainline Linux, and also a few other insignificant changes to the kernel.
    • An issue where there was additional extremely quiet high-pitched noise from the right speaker has been fixed. (Thanks to @Kostareka for reporting it. It likely would've gone unnoticed for at least a very long time into the future otherwise.)
    • First proper release for the P580.

Release for 20210810:
    • Latest updates from Lineage, including the 20210805 Android security updates.
    • This is my first build that is signed using my own release keys. This change was removed in the second build released for 20210810 (with "-R2-Test-keys" in the filename).
    • The BSP sources have been redone to closely match what has been done with the new exynos7880-specific part of Lineage's BSP sources, and with that, there are now more exynos7870-specific changes to the open source gralloc that is in use.
    • Some further small miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel, and a few other insignificant changes.
    Release for 20210709:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS.
    • Merges of the latest changes from AOSP for repositories forked by Lineage have been picked to skip the wait for them to be merged (repopick -t android-11.0.0_r39), and the rest of the repositories not forked by Lineage were additionally switched to the android-11.0.0_r39 tag, for the 20210705 Android security updates.
    • A patch to the PermissionController app has been applied that adds the FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE permission group to it - The signature spoofing permission can now be managed through the permission management interface at Settings -> Privacy -> Permission manager.
    • The audio outputted from the audio jack while playing media will now be noticeably louder, as the headset "DAC1 playback volume" for media has been increased to the maximum of 175 from 162.
    • A few patches have been applied to the qcacld-2.0 WiFi driver in the kernel, which are mainly vulnerability fixes.
    Release for 20210617:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS, including the 20210605 Android security updates.
    • The WiFi and Bluetooth firmwares have been updated from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware.
    • The qcom_cfg.ini configuration file for WiFi has been imported from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware - A change within it appears to have made WiFi more reliable.
    • The sensors.universal7870.so library has been updated from Samsung's stock P580ZSS1CTI1 firmware.
    • The health HAL has been upgraded to version 2.1.
    • There are a few other small miscellaneous changes (mostly small cleanups).
    • There are many updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    • Some unnecessary drivers have been disabled in the kernel.
    • The sdfat driver in the kernel, which is used for exFAT filesystem support, has been updated to version 2.4.5.
    • A few changes have been imported to the MMC block device driver in the kernel from Samsung's M105GDXS6CUD4 kernel that fix extremely rare kernel panics that occurred when there was an error with a MMC device (mainly with SD cards).
    • The fix for an issue where the duration of videos that are taken is lengthened by the time spent in deep sleep/suspended that was previously used has been replaced with a better fix in the Exynos fimc-is2 driver in the kernel.
    Release for 20210508:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS, including the 20210505 Android security updates.
    • New SELinux denials with Android 11 have been addressed, and with that, SELinux is now set to enforcing by default, and the sepolicy, which contains the SELinux rules, has been rewritten almost entirely, and is now of much better quality.
    • Some changes have been imported to libbt-vendor from https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_qcom_bt on branch lineage-18.1-caf.
    • BPF offloading for tethering has been disabled.
    • The audio HAL has been upgraded to version 6.0.
    • The rampatch_tlv_tf_1.1.tlv firmware for Bluetooth has been updated from Samsung's stock T585XXS6CTJ7 firmware.
    • Some tcp_info-related patches have been applied to the kernel, and with that, a workaround, a patch titled "TcpSocketTracker: Opt-out for TCP info parsing on legacy kernels", is no longer used since it's no longer necessary.
    • A workaround that was used to get USB tethering and Bluetooth tethering to work is no longer used, and has been replaced with a proper fix (enabling CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CT in the kernel).
    Release for 20210407 (My initial 18.1 build. This changelog continues on from @followmsi's last 18.1 build that was intended for use by users):
    • Latest changes from LineageOS. The crashes that occurred when setting a new wallpaper that were discussed earlier in this thread appear to have been fixed.
    • Merges of the latest changes from AOSP, including the 20210405 security updates, have been picked to skip the wait for them to be merged. (repopick -t android-11.0.0_r34)
    • The same workaround that was used on 17.1 to get USB tethering and Bluetooth internet access sharing to work has been forward-ported and applied.
    • vintf manifest override enforcement is now enabled.
    • The vendor/lib[64]/egl/libGLES_mali.so blobs are now symlinked to vendor/lib[64]/vulkan.exynos5.so, rather than copied to vendor/lib[64]/hw/vulkan.exynos5.so - This is a proper fix for Vulkan support.
    • RSA key verification for ADB is enabled again, and ADB isn't enabled by default and on boot anymore.

Known issues and workarounds (if any):
    Issue 1: Occasionally, when trying to select quick settings tiles in the notification panel, it will crash to the lockscreen.
    I have no idea about this issue at the moment. It seems like some type of generic systemui crashes.

Issue 2: Images and videos that are taken using the camera in a resolution with an aspect ratio of 16:9 are actually stretched from 4:3.
    Somewhat of a workaround to issue 2: Use a resolution that has an aspect ratio of 4:3.

Issue 3: the on-screen navigation bar feature that can be enabled with the option at Settings -> System -> Buttons -> "Enable on-screen nav bar" doesn't work properly.

Issue 4: If the WiFi hotspot is enabled without first enabling and disabling WiFi, it will not work.
    Workaround to issue 4: Simply enable and disable WiFi before enabling the WiFi hotspot.
    This issue no longer seems to exist. I'm not able to reproduce it on my setup anymore. However, there is a similar issue I can reproduce - If the WiFi hotspot is enabled after booting with WiFi disabled beforehand, WiFi will fail to be enabled when attempting to enable it on the first try. It gets enabled successfully and works fine after attempting again with no further issues.

To report further issues, get a log from logcat and dmesg. If you are unsure on how to get either, there is good documentation out there for how to do so.

Sources:
    A manifest containing all of the necessary repositories to make a build for either the T580 or P580 is in this repository on branch lineage-18.1: https://github.com/TALUAtGitHub/gtaxlwifi-manifests

Thanks to:
    @Valera1978 - for all of the previous work for these devices, and for providing his old BSP sources without which the open BSP sources wouldn't have been possible.
    @followmsi - for fixes to various issues and other improvements, for useful information, and for working with me on much of this stuff.
    The Lineage team - for the Android distribution itself.
    ...and everyone else who has worked on anything that is in use.
    New releases for 20211023

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Frtwih9h3suHOQ9jFcID53osD6M7iJvl/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1niGeY4cNDy5OAhoJd04P5MPQci3ztC9W/

Changelog:

As usual, enjoy.
    New releases for 20210922

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LPxvLU-O8jpCBB-vaoI_lp7ZJROqh28b/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mCE78wpxFHoI-4IIyd3ZEQzXZrkOJ5P9/

Changelog:
    • Latest updates from Lineage, including the 20210905 Android security updates.
    • The ZRAM size has been increased to 768MiB.
    • Even further miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • The 32-bit wcnss_filter binary, used for Bluetooth, that was used previously has been replaced with the 64-bit wcnss_filter binary from Samsung's A520FZTU4BRB1 firmware.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 and 4.4 Android common kernels and Linux 4.4, a few changes backported from mainline Linux, and also a few other insignificant changes to the kernel.
    • An issue where there was additional extremely quiet high-pitched noise from the right speaker has been fixed. (Thanks to @Kostareka for reporting it. It likely would've gone unnoticed for at least a very long time into the future otherwise.)
    Enjoy.
    New release for 20210617

Download:

Changelog:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS, including the 20210605 Android security updates.
    • The WiFi and Bluetooth firmwares have been updated from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware.
    • The qcom_cfg.ini configuration file for WiFi has been imported from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware - A change within it appears to have made WiFi more reliable.
    • The sensors.universal7870.so library has been updated from Samsung's stock P580ZSS1CTI1 firmware.
    • The health HAL has been upgraded to version 2.1.
    • There are a few other small miscellaneous changes (mostly small cleanups).
    • There are many updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    • Some unnecessary drivers have been disabled in the kernel.
    • The sdfat driver in the kernel, which is used for exFAT filesystem support, has been updated to version 2.4.5.
    • A few changes have been imported to the MMC block device driver in the kernel from Samsung's M105GDXS6CUD4 kernel that fix extremely rare kernel panics that occurred when there was an error with a MMC device (mainly with SD cards).
    • The fix for an issue where the duration of videos that are taken is lengthened by the time spent in deep sleep/suspended that was previously used has been replaced with a better fix in the Exynos fimc-is2 driver in the kernel.
    As usual, enjoy.
    New release for 20210709

Download:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ej8JYTZzcdQzwHtJHiBFwVC-rm5ytBq1/

Changelog:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS.
    • Merges of the latest changes from AOSP for repositories forked by Lineage have been picked to skip the wait for them to be merged (repopick -t android-11.0.0_r39), and the rest of the repositories not forked by Lineage were additionally switched to the android-11.0.0_r39 tag, for the 20210705 Android security updates.
    • A patch to the PermissionController app has been applied that adds the FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE permission group to it - The signature spoofing permission can now be managed through the permission management interface at Settings -> Privacy -> Permission manager.
    • The audio outputted from the audio jack while playing media will now be noticeably louder, as the headset "DAC1 playback volume" for media has been increased to the maximum of 175 from 162.
    • A few patches have been applied to the qcacld-2.0 WiFi driver in the kernel, which are mainly vulnerability fixes.
    Enjoy.