• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LineageOS 18.1 for SM-T580 (gtaxlwifi)

Search This thread

rosco_pc

Dec 6, 2010
Are you installing an up-to-date NikGapps package? If not, try one - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/NikGapps-R/04-Jul-2021/
Edit: I've re-read your post. I've missed where you said that you have to do a factory reset, and it will boot with that same NikGapps package. Hmm... I'm not sure at all. I personally reinstall Nanodroid MicroG and Magisk after updating to a new build, and never have issues with bootlooping.
I'll try with update newly downloaded Nikgaps next time 😄

Last edited:

skiwarz

Jan 31, 2018
@TALUAtXDA
Do you have a kernel config that you used? I didn't see the actual config in your kernel sources on github... or am I looking in the wrong place?

I'm working on getting 18.1 onto a SM-P580.

Zeppelli

Jun 26, 2021
Guys can you tell me if, vpn hotspot (root permission needed) works for you? I'm currently on on the LTE variant, and i don't know if the problem is that i'm on this specific variant. Thanks in advance

gioxoid

Jan 25, 2011
Florence
tried to install latest update, and now stucked in logo loop. I'm unable to enter recovery, only download mode. Is it possible to sideload the rom and gapps zip files? Or any different procdure to solve?
Thanks

ar0177417

Aug 11, 2017
tried to install latest update, and now stucked in logo loop. I'm unable to enter recovery, only download mode. Is it possible to sideload the rom and gapps zip files? Or any different procdure to solve?
Thanks
Flash Twrp via Odin
And try installing ROM again in Twrp
Try clean flash (it will wipe apps but not internal storage) --> Wipe Data, cache and system

Reactions: gioxoid

gioxoid

Jan 25, 2011
Florence
Flash Twrp via Odin
And try installing ROM again in Twrp
Try clean flash (it will wipe apps but not internal storage) --> Wipe Data, cache and system
Yeap, it worked. Thanks! You save my weekend.
I have only one issue. The Skygo app (paytv app for streaming) says me that the device is rooted. I purposely not installed Magisk, but it smels something. What could be the problem?

gioxoid

Jan 25, 2011
Florence
There are two things you could try
1. You could rename TWRP folder to something else
2. If the above don't work try rooting via magisk and enable magisk hide in settings it will hide bootloader status and will allow to pass safety net
i can understand your suggestion, but i cant' understand why with a different rom (i.e. crDroid) and the same config (TWRP recovery), Skygo stopped working. I will conclude that something different between ROMs ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've made a build for the WiFi-only variant of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016) with S-Pen, with model SM-P580 and codename gtanotexlwifi, which can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sw7pEuAEYB-tFtGM3t0AXSrlGrUQFnqK/

After seeing some posts from people searching for a custom firmware/ROM for that tablet (although it seems mostly for the LTE variant), someone having had reported that my builds for gtaxlwifi don't boot on it (after forcing installation) earlier in this thread, and seeing that there shouldn't be very many changes to make for a build for it when looking into it, I decided to go ahead and make the changes for it in a copy of my existing gtaxlwifi device tree, and make this build. The changes are mostly with the kernel and, most significantly, DT image in the boot image.

For installation, the TWRP build from here should be used: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-for-p580-oreo-compatible-unofficial.4048671/ The official TWRP builds for gtanotexlwifi are reported to have severe graphical glitches, due to Samsung having made some change in their later bootloaders, and the kernel used in them being outdated. I plan to make an up-to-date TWRP build myself based on new sources later on.

Since I don't have a P580, this build is untested, so I can't be sure if it boots and works properly or not. However, I don't see any reason for it not to. The one thing I know for sure is that S-Pen functionality would definitely be missing.
    For anyone who has tested this build, if it works, please report that it does, and I'll continue making builds for the P580.

Now, I'm going to be moving on to setting up sources for gtaxllte, as I've said I'd attempt for a long while now.
    I have a note regarding the problem of the sound. Turn on anything that makes a sound, then lower the volume until it is muted. Put your ear next to the right speaker of the device. You will hear a strange sound for a moment, unlike the left speaker. This problem started since lineage os 17.
    Thanks for reporting that (very subtle) problem. I've found the cause of it, and it will be fixed in my next releases.
    Hi. I have a simple question, mainly fueled by curiosity:
    What's holding this work of yours back from becoming official? What are the official requirements that you can't meet with this work?
    I'm not super familiar with this in general, so if you can use more than just 2 words per requirement, It'd be appreciated.

Thanks
    There are several general reasons for why it's not possible to go official. Here are just a few:
    • Going official would require me to go about doing things that are incredibly difficult and time consuming. Apparently, my sources to build LineageOS would need to be completely redone, which would be an extremely extensive process.
    • There are still a few issues that haven't been fixed, and as it looks like won't be anytime soon. See the "Known issues and workarounds (if any)" section of my original post.
    • To go official, there are unfavourable restrictions that I'd need to conform to. As an example, there is an overclock to the CPU to 1.69GHz, and there are some voltage control interfaces in the kernel, which would need to be removed, as that type of stuff isn't allowed. That particular restriction is understandable due to stability concerns, but again, it's not favourable, and it's just one restriction.
    You're welcome.
    A few years ago a made a Kernel for this tablet, I got problems with no working wifi and I wasn't able to fix it so I stopped. The thread is maybe still live. I think there were also problem's with selinux. I will try it and report.

Edit: its booting
    Excellent! Your log contains all of the SELinux denials that I need to address. I'll address them, and make a new build, which will boot without the need of any modifications on top and with SELinux enforcing. Thanks for testing!
    A few years ago a made a Kernel for this tablet, I got problems with no working wifi and I wasn't able to fix it so I stopped. The thread is maybe still live. I think there were also problem's with selinux. I will try it and report.

Edit: its booting
    This is LineageOS 18.1, which is based on Android 11, for the WiFi-only variant of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016), codenamed gtaxlwifi. LineageOS doesn't need much of an introduction - It's a well-known custom firmware/Android distribution.

As was always planned, my LineageOS 18.1 builds are a continuation from @followmsi's builds that were intended for use by users. To update from his builds, my builds can simply be installed on top of his builds without doing anything further.

Downloads:
    Note: These builds are intended to be used on the WiFi-only variant of this device, however, they can be installed and used on the LTE variant if you can go without mobile networking (of course), GPS and vibration. I'm planning to try to make builds for the LTE variant sometime in the future when I have time to setup sources for it.
    Note 2 for those who upgraded to the first build from 20210810, signed with my own release keys
    (which doesn't have "-R2-Test-keys" in its filename): Before upgrading to a newer build, you must install this package to switch your installation back to test-keys with data mounted in TWRP recovery: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gYVI71QEtfMafGssPfWW-6UAH2dLd3wO/ Otherwise, you will encounter issues! Make sure "Reboot after installation is complete" is disabled in both TWRP settings and when installing that package, or you will also encounter issues after it reboots.
    Latest build from 20210810 (second release from that day that is signed with test-keys) (security patch level 20210705): https://drive.google.com/file/d/12LXvcV9koMMV7tGXlcbfd0cUfAJ1-Agr/
    Some previous releases: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PmxsmmtNo7NwqMpBYKZ9b-sBs5-m9QRG
    Folder for these builds (includes text files with MD5 and SHA256 checksums for builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wuirD9cyoguv7CQdEO5ymZ911k2ASKKD

Changelogs:

Release for 20210810:
    • Latest updates from Lineage, including the 20210805 Android security updates.
    • This is my first build that is signed using my own release keys. This change was removed in the second build released for 20210810 (with "-R2-Test-keys" in the filename).
    • The BSP sources have been redone to closely match what has been done with the new exynos7880-specific part of Lineage's BSP sources, and with that, there are now more exynos7870-specific changes to the open source gralloc that is in use.
    • Some further small miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel, and a few other insignificant changes.
    Previous releases:

Release for 20210709:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS.
    • Merges of the latest changes from AOSP for repositories forked by Lineage have been picked to skip the wait for them to be merged (repopick -t android-11.0.0_r39), and the rest of the repositories not forked by Lineage were additionally switched to the android-11.0.0_r39 tag, for the 20210705 Android security updates.
    • A patch to the PermissionController app has been applied that adds the FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE permission group to it - The signature spoofing permission can now be managed through the permission management interface at Settings -> Privacy -> Permission manager.
    • The audio outputted from the audio jack while playing media will now be noticeably louder, as the headset "DAC1 playback volume" for media has been increased to the maximum of 175 from 162.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    • A few patches have been applied to the qcacld-2.0 WiFi driver in the kernel, which are mainly vulnerability fixes.
    Release for 20210617:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS, including the 20210605 Android security updates.
    • The WiFi and Bluetooth firmwares have been updated from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware.
    • The qcom_cfg.ini configuration file for WiFi has been imported from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware - A change within it appears to have made WiFi more reliable.
    • The sensors.universal7870.so library has been updated from Samsung's stock P580ZSS1CTI1 firmware.
    • The health HAL has been upgraded to version 2.1.
    • There are a few other small miscellaneous changes (mostly small cleanups).
    • There are many updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    • Some unnecessary drivers have been disabled in the kernel.
    • The sdfat driver in the kernel, which is used for exFAT filesystem support, has been updated to version 2.4.5.
    • A few changes have been imported to the MMC block device driver in the kernel from Samsung's M105GDXS6CUD4 kernel that fix extremely rare kernel panics that occurred when there was an error with a MMC device (mainly with SD cards).
    • The fix for an issue where the duration of videos that are taken is lengthened by the time spent in deep sleep/suspended that was previously used has been replaced with a better fix in the Exynos fimc-is2 driver in the kernel.
    Release for 20210508:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS, including the 20210505 Android security updates.
    • New SELinux denials with Android 11 have been addressed, and with that, SELinux is now set to enforcing by default, and the sepolicy, which contains the SELinux rules, has been rewritten almost entirely, and is now of much better quality.
    • Some changes have been imported to libbt-vendor from https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_qcom_bt on branch lineage-18.1-caf.
    • BPF offloading for tethering has been disabled.
    • The audio HAL has been upgraded to version 6.0.
    • The rampatch_tlv_tf_1.1.tlv firmware for Bluetooth has been updated from Samsung's stock T585XXS6CTJ7 firmware.
    • There are some updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    • Some tcp_info-related patches have been applied to the kernel, and with that, a workaround, a patch titled "TcpSocketTracker: Opt-out for TCP info parsing on legacy kernels", is no longer used since it's no longer necessary.
    • A workaround that was used to get USB tethering and Bluetooth tethering to work is no longer used, and has been replaced with a proper fix (enabling CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CT in the kernel).
    Release for 20210407 (My initial 18.1 build. This changelog continues on from @followmsi's last 18.1 build that was intended for use by users):
    • Latest changes from LineageOS. The crashes that occurred when setting a new wallpaper that were discussed earlier in this thread appear to have been fixed.
    • Merges of the latest changes from AOSP, including the 20210405 security updates, have been picked to skip the wait for them to be merged. (repopick -t android-11.0.0_r34)
    • The same workaround that was used on 17.1 to get USB tethering and Bluetooth internet access sharing to work has been forward-ported and applied.
    • vintf manifest override enforcement is now enabled.
    • The vendor/lib[64]/egl/libGLES_mali.so blobs are now symlinked to vendor/lib[64]/vulkan.exynos5.so, rather than copied to vendor/lib[64]/hw/vulkan.exynos5.so - This is a proper fix for Vulkan support.
    • RSA key verification for ADB is enabled again, and ADB isn't enabled by default and on boot anymore.

Known issues and workarounds (if any):
    Issue 1: Occasionally, when trying to select tiles in the notification panel, it will crash to the lockscreen.
    I have no idea about this issue at the moment. It seems like generic systemui crashes. Todo: test LineageOS 18.1 on another device to see if the same issues occur.

Issue 2: Images and videos that are taken using the camera in a resolution with an aspect ratio of 16:9 are actually stretched from 4:3.
    Somewhat of a workaround to issue 2: Use a resolution that has an aspect ratio of 4:3.

Issue 3: the on-screen navigation bar feature that can be enabled with the option at Settings -> System -> Buttons -> "Enable on-screen nav bar" doesn't work properly.

Issue 4: If the WiFi hotspot is enabled without first enabling and disabling WiFi, it will not work.
    Workaround to issue 4: Simply enable and disable WiFi before enabling the WiFi hotspot.
    This issue no longer seems to exist. I'm not able to reproduce it on my setup anymore. However, there is a similar issue I can reproduce - If the WiFi hotspot is enabled after booting with WiFi disabled beforehand, WiFi will fail to be enabled when attempting to enable it on the first try. It gets enabled successfully and works fine after attempting again with no further issues.

To report further issues, get a log from logcat and dmesg. If you are unsure on how to get either, there is good documentation out there for how to do so.

Sources:
    A manifest containing all of the necessary repositories to make a build is in this repository on branch lineage-18.1: https://github.com/TALUAtGitHub/gtaxlwifi-manifests

Thanks to:
    @Valera1978 - for all of the previous work for these devices, and for providing his old BSP sources without which the open BSP sources wouldn't have been possible.
    @followmsi - for fixes to various issues and other improvements, for useful information, and for working with me on much of this stuff.
    The Lineage team - for the Android distribution itself.
    ...and everyone else who has worked on anything that is in use.
    New release for 20210617

Download:

Changelog:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS, including the 20210605 Android security updates.
    • The WiFi and Bluetooth firmwares have been updated from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware.
    • The qcom_cfg.ini configuration file for WiFi has been imported from Samsung's A720SKSU5CTL2 firmware - A change within it appears to have made WiFi more reliable.
    • The sensors.universal7870.so library has been updated from Samsung's stock P580ZSS1CTI1 firmware.
    • The health HAL has been upgraded to version 2.1.
    • There are a few other small miscellaneous changes (mostly small cleanups).
    • There are many updates from the 3.18 Android common kernel and Linux 4.4 to the kernel.
    • Some unnecessary drivers have been disabled in the kernel.
    • The sdfat driver in the kernel, which is used for exFAT filesystem support, has been updated to version 2.4.5.
    • A few changes have been imported to the MMC block device driver in the kernel from Samsung's M105GDXS6CUD4 kernel that fix extremely rare kernel panics that occurred when there was an error with a MMC device (mainly with SD cards).
    • The fix for an issue where the duration of videos that are taken is lengthened by the time spent in deep sleep/suspended that was previously used has been replaced with a better fix in the Exynos fimc-is2 driver in the kernel.
    As usual, enjoy.
    New release for 20210709

Download:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ej8JYTZzcdQzwHtJHiBFwVC-rm5ytBq1/

Changelog:
    • Latest updates from LineageOS.
    • Merges of the latest changes from AOSP for repositories forked by Lineage have been picked to skip the wait for them to be merged (repopick -t android-11.0.0_r39), and the rest of the repositories not forked by Lineage were additionally switched to the android-11.0.0_r39 tag, for the 20210705 Android security updates.
    • A patch to the PermissionController app has been applied that adds the FAKE_PACKAGE_SIGNATURE permission group to it - The signature spoofing permission can now be managed through the permission management interface at Settings -> Privacy -> Permission manager.
    • The audio outputted from the audio jack while playing media will now be noticeably louder, as the headset "DAC1 playback volume" for media has been increased to the maximum of 175 from 162.
    • A few patches have been applied to the qcacld-2.0 WiFi driver in the kernel, which are mainly vulnerability fixes.
    Enjoy.
    I've made a build for the WiFi-only variant of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016) with S-Pen, with model SM-P580 and codename gtanotexlwifi, which can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sw7pEuAEYB-tFtGM3t0AXSrlGrUQFnqK/

After seeing some posts from people searching for a custom firmware/ROM for that tablet (although it seems mostly for the LTE variant), someone having had reported that my builds for gtaxlwifi don't boot on it (after forcing installation) earlier in this thread, and seeing that there shouldn't be very many changes to make for a build for it when looking into it, I decided to go ahead and make the changes for it in a copy of my existing gtaxlwifi device tree, and make this build. The changes are mostly with the kernel and, most significantly, DT image in the boot image.

For installation, the TWRP build from here should be used: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-for-p580-oreo-compatible-unofficial.4048671/ The official TWRP builds for gtanotexlwifi are reported to have severe graphical glitches, due to Samsung having made some change in their later bootloaders, and the kernel used in them being outdated. I plan to make an up-to-date TWRP build myself based on new sources later on.

Since I don't have a P580, this build is untested, so I can't be sure if it boots and works properly or not. However, I don't see any reason for it not to. The one thing I know for sure is that S-Pen functionality would definitely be missing.
    For anyone who has tested this build, if it works, please report that it does, and I'll continue making builds for the P580.

Now, I'm going to be moving on to setting up sources for gtaxllte, as I've said I'd attempt for a long while now.
    Hi. I have a simple question, mainly fueled by curiosity:
    What's holding this work of yours back from becoming official? What are the official requirements that you can't meet with this work?
    I'm not super familiar with this in general, so if you can use more than just 2 words per requirement, It'd be appreciated.

Thanks
    There are several general reasons for why it's not possible to go official. Here are just a few:
    • Going official would require me to go about doing things that are incredibly difficult and time consuming. Apparently, my sources to build LineageOS would need to be completely redone, which would be an extremely extensive process.
    • There are still a few issues that haven't been fixed, and as it looks like won't be anytime soon. See the "Known issues and workarounds (if any)" section of my original post.
    • To go official, there are unfavourable restrictions that I'd need to conform to. As an example, there is an overclock to the CPU to 1.69GHz, and there are some voltage control interfaces in the kernel, which would need to be removed, as that type of stuff isn't allowed. That particular restriction is understandable due to stability concerns, but again, it's not favourable, and it's just one restriction.
    You're welcome.