LineageOS 19.1 for SM-T580 (gtaxlwifi) and SM-P580 (gtanotexlwifi)

Search This thread

Origin_X

Jan 12, 2015
New option for disabling the taskbar

A new option for disabling the widely disliked taskbar has been added by the Lineage team.
Along with that, I've fixed the problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons disabled touchscreen input entirely, which makes that new option for disabling the taskbar usable.

Now, to disable the taskbar, it's unfortunately not very straightforward. The steps are as follows:
  • Go to the Settings app, and in it, go to System -> Buttons.
  • Enable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
  • Go back to the System section, and go to the Buttons section again.
  • A new option, "Enable taskbar", should be there. Toggle it off. The taskbar should disappear and be replaced with an old-style navigation bar.
From there, to use the hardware keys with no navigation bar or taskbar, simply disable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
Otherwise, that option can be kept enabled to have an "old-style" navbar, with input from touchkeys being ignored, and with no taskbar. Different methods of navigation can be selected at Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation.

Had some issues with getting the taskbar disabled; though not sure if this is due to Pixel Launcher being installed from my gapps of choice (omni). I performed the above but seemed like the taskbar was just stuck on and even persisted through a reboot when all was disabled. Did some digging and found a fix for myself in feature flags.

Here's what I did:
  1. Enabled Developer Options
    • Go Settings app -> About tablet -> tapped Build number 7 times.
  2. Clicked Home button.
  3. Long Press for the Pixel Launcher Popup Menu
    • Go Home Settings -> Developer Options -> Click Filter -> Type "taskbar"
  4. Under Feature flags disable the following:
    • ENABLE_TASKBAR (Should be fine with disabling just this flag but I wanted it all off.)
    • ENABLE_TASKBAR_EDU
    • ENABLE_TASKBAR_POPUP_MENU
  5. Click "Apply" in top right corner.
After the flags are refreshed taskbar was gone. So far, the taskbar has remained gone including after a reboot. Swapped to the launcher of choice (NOVA) and still no issues. Hope this can help someone else out with that pesky taskbar!

Beyond the initial taskbar issues, the ROM experience and operation itself are great. Happy to have some new life brought into this tablet for light on-the-go work, general other day-to-day tasks and even playing games via Moonlight and XBOX controller. I appreciate your hard work!(y)

Reactions: Sage

xinster1337

Apr 19, 2022
How to update this safely?
Just flashing ROM and wipe cache/dalvik or do i need to reflash gapps and magisk?

Thanks!

//EDIT: using the april build currently

Archaide

Jun 18, 2021
Hi. For me it was just flashing and cache wipe.
I had to extract the bootimage, patch it with magisk and flash it to regain root but that's all. No gapps for me.

Last edited:

Idah00

May 11, 2022
Thanks for the new update, it worked like a charm with an install from TWRP and a cache/dalvik wipe, I can confirm that Dualshock 4 now works properly using bluetooth, I tested it on Retroarch and RVGL with great success, thanks again for this awesome ROM!

Reactions: TALUAtXDA

Archaide

Jun 18, 2021
Hi all.
I either found a bug or something else is wrong.
As soon as i establish a connection to a VPN with OpenVPN i loose connectivity in every app. The only thing that works is a ping from termux to a lot of different urls. So the vpn itself is working. In bromite everything ended with a timeout. ( i can ping the same url with a few ms response) F-Droid does not refresh the repository, it says something like wifi configuration prevents refresh.
Is use this vpn on a few devices without any problems. (None of them with A12 without any google components. Might that be the culprit?)

That constellation worked on LOS 18.

Can someone help and have some advise please?
Best regards.

doblehache

Jun 2, 2022
Every time i try to turn off the tablet with the rom, it reboots. With version 18.1 it doesn't happen to me. even with the one you just uploaded
Me too. I tried other method several times and worked:
Instead of using the side power button, pressing a few seconds and then clicking power off on the screen, try to slide down from the upper area, and press the power off button under the quick functions.

Idah00

May 11, 2022
After a more extensive use of the device, I have a few issues to report to maybe improve the ROM in the future, somehow like others have already reported, the tablet will sometimes reboot instead of shutting down which can be problematic for battery saving, I have also encountered a bug with the keyboard, sometimes the keyboard will just freak out and not display at all or properly on certain specific situations rendering it unusable, one example was when I installed WhatsApp, I was prompted to enter the code I received with SMS and when I tapped the field to fill it the keyboard didn't display, installing another keyboard fro f droid solved the issue so this is likely a bug from the keyboard's software. That's all for now. Thanks again for working on this awesome ROM, I found this device in the trash and it feels like I got a brand new device with it ^^

edit: BTW has anyone managed to make the GPS work? I' m using microG and it doesn't work here, my phone uses microG and it works fine tho, so I'm unsure if its a me problem or a ROM problem...

Edit2: I also keep getting Intent filter verification service crashes, I don't know if I'm the only one facing this issue as well, dunno what exactly this service does and if it's related to microG or not, does anyone else have similar issues?

Last edited:

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
First off for everyone, please don't keep reporting issues that are already known. I've already put the issue with normal rebooting when trying to power off or using an advanced rebooting option in my "known issues and workarounds" section of my original post. Reporting what's already known is effort for nothing and more email notifications for new posts reporting it.

At the moment, I don't have any information on it from logs from logcat from the few times I've been able to reproduce it right before a reboot, so I don't have anything on it. It's something I'm going to look into later when I have time.

I have also encountered a bug with the keyboard, sometimes the keyboard will just freak out and not display at all or properly on certain specific situations rendering it unusable, one example was when I installed WhatsApp, I was prompted to enter the code I received with SMS and when I tapped the field to fill it the keyboard didn't display, installing another keyboard fro f droid solved the issue so this is likely a bug from the keyboard's software.
Hmm, not so sure on the keyboard. All I know is that there was a faulty change that caused the keyboard to cover the entire screen with no keys displayed at all in most cases. I just reverted it. Maybe there's another faulty change? Hmmm...
That's all for now. Thanks again for working on this awesome ROM, I found this device in the trash and it feels like I got a brand new device with it ^^
You're very welcome. That's excellent.
edit: BTW has anyone managed to make the GPS work? I' m using microG and it doesn't work here, my phone uses microG and it works fine tho, so I'm unsure if its a me problem or a ROM problem...
GPS hardware works fine if you're using a WiFi-only variant device (and naturally doesn't if you're using an LTE variant device because of different GPS hardware, as I mention in my original post). Not sure if you're using an LTE variant device.
For network location, that's entirely setup-dependant.
Edit2: I also keep getting Intent filter verification service crashes, I don't know if I'm the only one facing this issue as well, dunno what exactly this service does and if it's related to microG or not, does anyone else have similar issues?
I'm using MicroG and I haven't got any such crashes. My best guess for a possible cause of them is an app that depends on Google apps, and uses that service, and isn't working properly and causing that service to crash somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idah00

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
How to update this safely?
Just flashing ROM and wipe cache/dalvik or do i need to reflash gapps and magisk?

Thanks!

//EDIT: using the april build currently
See the first part of my post here.
I either found a bug or something else is wrong.
As soon as i establish a connection to a VPN with OpenVPN i loose connectivity in every app. The only thing that works is a ping from termux to a lot of different urls. So the vpn itself is working. In bromite everything ended with a timeout. ( i can ping the same url with a few ms response) F-Droid does not refresh the repository, it says something like wifi configuration prevents refresh.
Is use this vpn on a few devices without any problems. (None of them with A12 without any google components. Might that be the culprit?)

That constellation worked on LOS 18.
Hmm, not sure at all. I just tested a connection to my up-to-date OpenVPN server with the OpenVPN for Android and OpenVPN Connect apps, and there don't seem to be any problems here. Don't have any ideas, unfortunately.

Archaide

Jun 18, 2021
WiFi only device here. Can confirm no GPS fix after 20 minutes waiting. No google components.

Reactions: Idah00

Idah00

May 11, 2022
Hmm, not so sure on the keyboard. All I know is that there was a faulty change that caused the keyboard to cover the entire screen with no keys displayed at all in most cases. I just reverted it. Maybe there's another faulty change? Hmmm...

I'm using MicroG and I haven't got any such crashes. My best guess for a possible cause of them is an app that depends on Google apps, and uses that service, and isn't working properly and causing that service to crash somewhere along the line.

Yeah the keyboard problem is exactly as you described it, so probably another faulty change then...

I'll look into apps that depends on google apps to see if it solves my issue.

Thx for the feedback, I won't report problems that have already been reported :)

dolfies

Aug 21, 2019
I just dirty flashed from LineageOS 18.1 on my gtaxlwifi, following your upgrade instructions, and everything is working perfectly except for one thing (it's also so much faster, love it)!

The only issue is that the hardware recents button doesn't seem to be working. It was working fine until I turned off the the taskbar, but now even turning it back on it still doesn't work. I enabled the software one as a workaround for now, but it's fairly annoying. Hardware home and back work fine.

EDIT: I worked around this temporarily by using Button Mapper and remapping the button to do... what it's supposed to 😄. It's unfortunately fairly slow though.

EDIT 2: The "broadcast public intent" option in Button Mapper also seems to work...

Last edited:

Archaide

Jun 18, 2021
See the first part of my post here.

Hmm, not sure at all. I just tested a connection to my up-to-date OpenVPN server with the OpenVPN for Android and OpenVPN Connect apps, and there don't seem to be any problems here. Don't have any ideas, unfortunately.
Can confirm VPN is working. I wasn‘t in my homenetwork when the problem occured. As soon as i was in my usual environment VPN was working like a charm. :cool:
Sry if i caused trouble.

Reactions: TALUAtXDA

sandervanzijl

Jan 14, 2008
looking fpr a new rom for my t580. This seems good. Main problem is that my current bliss rom is getting a bit slow.
does this rom have better performance, or is the new android slower than older androids?

Kat Jillianne

Sep 18, 2020
Solved my previous issue regarding google play, it was due to a bad gapps package, core+addons works best.
Now another thing has been bugging me: is it normal that installing p850 (non cellular) build on a p585 (LTE) will causes IMEI to not appear under "about tablet" section?

Last edited:

serik

Apr 24, 2008
Hello, I'm having some issue with the Gapps and with the Rom itself. First I'm flashing the gapps with NikGapps selecting the SL category.
The installation seems to work. After I'm flashing the rom. And when I restart I don't have the Gapps on the system.
I tried to reinstall the Gapps and wipe cash. It is working now but I have a problem with the storage. When I go on the settings and storage it crashes. And I have an error that I don't have enough storage to install any update.
Is it coming from my Gapps I'm really struggling to find one version that works.

Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New releases for 20220724

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RU6xNosaBlS-VoOGoahpT3zvgiGH-iS9/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lh4ThE8TjESt9ru05V0IWlAOP50x-6hP/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220705 Android security updates.
    • Some updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
    Enjoy.
    ¡This ROM is working perfect! But i have few questions:
    This is the new lockscreen of linage os 19.1? Or i install something wrong? And is not possible to have landscape lockscreen?
    See my post here for enabling lockscreen rotation.

Edit: Just added a small section on 19.1 usability fixes in my original post, expanding from my existing note on disabling the taskbar, with a note referring to that post for enabling lockscreen rotation. Hoping it will be less likely to be missed.
    If I encrypt the storage will I have problems updating the ROM? Sorry for the language in the screenshot, but this is what I mean:
    View attachment 5669957
    No. The /data partition is not affected from rom updates.
    Magisk v23 wouldn't have any support for Android 12, and so it would certainly cause a bootloop. For 12, you must use the latest version of Magisk (downloadable from here as the only official source for reference).
    Also, remember, we don't have fastboot, only Samsung's download mode.
    Thx for your kind remind, will try my luck tomorrow...

Edit: it worked! But i had to manually delete the previously installed magisk modules in /data/adb/modules as well as the edxposed folder in /data/adb.
    Is there any way to get rid of the gray bar with the soft keys at the bottom? If I'm watching a video I full screen that gray bar is in the way or if I'm not in full screen that gray bar covers up choice buttons at the bottom that I can see anymore.
    See the first section of my post here
    This is LineageOS 19.1, which is based on Android 12, for the WiFi-only variants of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016), with model SM-T580 and codename gtaxlwifi, and the Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016) with S-Pen, with model SM-P580 and codename gtanotexlwifi. LineageOS doesn't need much of an introduction - It's a well-known custom firmware/Android distribution.

As was the case with LineageOS 18.1, I've taken over maintaining 19.1 from @followmsi, and my 19.1 builds continue on from his 19.1 builds that were intended for use by users. To update from his builds, my builds can simply be installed on top of an existing install from his builds without doing anything further (or "dirty flashed").

For those running 18.1, or probably even 17.1, upgrading to 19.1 is possible through the procedure I've explained before here and here (except with 19.1/Android 12 and 18.1 rather than 18.1/Android 11 and 17.1 for that second post). I highly suggest backing up any important data before trying to upgrade. In the unlikely case the upgrade fails, and it doesn't boot, data would need to be formatted.

LineageOS 19.1/Android 12 usability fixes:
    For those wanting to disable the widely disliked taskbar
    (the grey bar at the bottom with the 3 navigation buttons and shortcuts for apps docked at the launcher): Instructions for doing so are in the first section of my post here.
    For enabling lockscreen rotation: Instructions for doing so are in my post here.

Downloads:
    Note: While these builds are mainly intended to be used on the WiFi-only variants of these devices, they can be installed and used on LTE variants if you can go without mobile networking (of course), GPS and vibration.
    I'm only going to try getting builds up for the LTE variants if I get one in the future. Trying to do so without direct access to an LTE variant device is very difficult and not really feasible (as I've realized after thinking in much more depth about it since thinking I'd be able to do so without an LTE variant device a long time ago).

For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi:

Latest build from 20220724 (with security patch level 20220705): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RU6xNosaBlS-VoOGoahpT3zvgiGH-iS9/
    Folder for builds (which contains text files with MD5 and SHA256 checksums for the latest build, and a folder containing previous builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S3NRiTP2jr9gRtSMKoKoaoMu75g_FJM4

For the T580, the latest official TWRP build from here should be used. If installing a build for the T580 to the LTE variant, with model SM-T585 and codename gtaxllte, keeping in mind some functionality will of course be missing as described in my note, the latest official TWRP build for gtaxllte from here can also be used.

For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi:
    Latest build from 20220724 (with security patch level 20220705): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lh4ThE8TjESt9ru05V0IWlAOP50x-6hP/
    Folder for builds (which contains text files with MD5 and SHA256 checksums for the latest build, and a folder containing previous builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11pcp9NZf0ovelvT7oxfhoem6-utpSao8

For the P580, I've made unofficial TWRP builds from an updated device tree and the same kernel sources used for these LineageOS builds that must be used.
    Download link for an image of my latest TWRP build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TAFLVpxdYQNvfvUPS_BGKx3imphR1Wd2/
    Download link for a tar archive containing it for installation via Odin in the AP slot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ay55ntZj7Uptzm--hiCaeG1C5lamQ1fG/

Changelogs:
    Releases for 20220724:
    • Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220705 Android security updates.
    • Some updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
    Previous releases:
    Releases for 20220620:
    • Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220605 Android security updates.
    • Network traffic monitoring now works (as some changes reverting the removal of the old, non-eBPF, method of doing it that the old 3.18 kernel only supports have been applied, thanks to @rINanDO for them!).
    • One of Lineage's changes to the default keyboard, likely to be causing a problem where the keyboard appears full screen with no keys in very few cases, has been reverted.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel, and some from a few other sources, have been applied to the kernel.
    • The issue where trying to power off, or reboot to recovery or download mode, would sometimes cause a normal reboot has been fixed.
    • A small fix to the kernel has been applied that fixes occasional soft reboots, that were caused by a change I made a very long time ago that had only started causing such soft rebooting problems with Android 12.
    Releases for 20220523:
    • Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220505 Android security updates and an option for disabling the taskbar.
    • The problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons caused touchscreen input to be disabled has been fixed.
    • Native support for IPsec tunnels has been enabled.
    • Support for Vulkan compute is now declared.
    • A new custom version of the open source Samsung audio HAL from Lineage's android_hardware_samsung repository is now used, rather than the stock, heavily-patched, proprietary Samsung audio HAL, with some fixes for a problem that made it unusable before where occasionally, audio would get outputted from both the speakers and the headphone jack.
    • The playback and low-latency capture period sizes have been reduced to 128 in the open source audio HAL, which reduces audio latency.
    • Pro audio support is now declared, since with the reduced period sizes, as well as with the use of the open source audio HAL, round-trip audio latency has been reduced enough for it.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
    • Several fixes to the Sony HID driver in the 4.9 Android common kernel have been ported over to the kernel - Sony DualShock 4 controllers should now work properly.
    Initial releases for 20220416 (This changelog continues on from @followmsi's last 19.1 build that was intended for use by users):
    • Latest changes from LineageOS.
    • SELinux is now set to be enforcing after having addressed new SELinux denials with 12.
    • Assisted GPS has been fixed.
    • ADB is no longer enabled by default or on boot.
    • The tablet product characteristic has been added back after being mistakenly removed - Places where the device was referred to as a phone (such as the "About phone" section in settings) will now refer to it as a tablet again.
    • The Widevine DRM blobs have been updated to 1.4 blobs from the latest stock firmware for the Google Pixel 3a XL.
    • A new wcnss_filter binary built from sources is now used to properly fix an issue where Bluetooth couldn't be re-enabled after enabling and disabling it once, and the old workaround for it has been removed.
    • Some other miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • There are a few updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel and Samsung's A600FNXXU9CVB1 kernel sources to the kernel.
    • An issue where the displays backlight would be turned off completely when setting very low brightnesses, causing nothing to be visible on the display (unless very faintly if you shine a torch or something on it), has been fixed.

Known issues and workarounds (if any):
    Issue 1: Camera previews for images to be taken at resolutions with aspect ratios other than 16:9 using the rear camera are squashed from 16:9 (while final saved images at any resolution are unaffected by any squashing), and videos taken at some resolutions are affected by similar issues with squashing in previews, and, in a smaller set of resolutions, also in final saved video files. (Note that these issues don't affect the front-facing camera)
    Somewhat of a workaround to issue 1: Use resolutions at which there are no issues with squashing from 16:9.

Something notable is that currently, with Android 12, encrypted data can't be decrypted in TWRP recovery. That problem can only be fixed within TWRP, so we'll need to wait for an update to TWRP which fixes it.

To report further issues, get a log from logcat and dmesg. If you're unsure on how to get either, there's good documentation out there for how to do so.

Sources:
    A manifest containing all of the necessary repositories to make a build for either the T580 or P580 is in this repository on branch lineage-19.1: https://github.com/TALUAtGitHub/gtaxlwifi-manifests

Starting from my initial 19.1 build, a new common tree setup, with new gtaxl common device and vendor trees, along with new gtaxlwifi and gtanotexlwifi device and vendor trees to use with them, is used to create builds. Before, the gtaxlwifi device tree was a standalone tree, and the gtanotexlwifi device tree was a complete copy of it with changes for the P580 on top, meaning a lot of stuff was duplicated between them. With such new setup, that duplication no longer exists, and build times when building builds for both the T580 and P580, one after the other, are massively decreased.
    18.1 builds for 20220423 onwards are also built with that setup, only without changes for Android 12.

Thanks to:
    @Valera1978 - for all of the previous work for the T580 (and T585) long ago.
    @followmsi - for fixes to various issues and other improvements, for useful information, and for working with me on much of this stuff.
    Anyone who has previously tested anything new I've put up for testing, reported results, and gave details for me to get it working if it was necessary.
    The Lineage team - for the Android distribution itself.
    ...and everyone else who has worked on anything that is in use.
    New releases for 20220620

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1onRpEeNRkFpVrZqP4bFbZoDyf9N1GkVY/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WgT1ZCz5sqf7g41OECqCyULmCO-ss2X3/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220605 Android security updates.
    • Network traffic monitoring now works (as some changes reverting the removal of the old, non-eBPF, method of doing it that the old 3.18 kernel only supports have been applied, thanks to @rINanDO for them!).
    • One of Lineage's changes to the default keyboard, likely to be causing a problem where the keyboard appears full screen with no keys in very few cases, has been reverted.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel, and some from a few other sources, have been applied to the kernel.
    • The issue where trying to power off, or reboot to recovery or download mode, would sometimes cause a normal reboot has been fixed.
    • A small fix to the kernel has been applied that fixes occasional soft reboots, that were caused by a change I made a very long time ago that had only started causing such soft rebooting problems with Android 12.
    As always, enjoy.
    More detailed release notes for the builds for 20220523

New option for disabling the taskbar

A new option for disabling the widely disliked taskbar has been added by the Lineage team.
    Along with that, I've fixed the problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons disabled touchscreen input entirely, which makes that new option for disabling the taskbar usable.

Now, to disable the taskbar, it's unfortunately not very straightforward. The steps are as follows:
    • Go to the Settings app, and in it, go to System -> Buttons.
    • Enable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
    • Go back to the System section, and go to the Buttons section again.
    • A new option, "Enable taskbar", should be there. Toggle it off. The taskbar should disappear and be replaced with an old-style navigation bar.
    From there, to use the hardware keys with no navigation bar or taskbar, simply disable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
    Otherwise, that option can be kept enabled to have an "old-style" navbar, with input from touchkeys being ignored, and with no taskbar. Different methods of navigation can be selected at Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation.

Sony DualShock 4 controller support

Several fixes to the Sony HID driver that are in the 4.9 Android common kernel have been ported to the Sony HID driver in our older 3.18 kernel, including fixes for DS4 controller support.

With them, DS4 controllers should now work properly, along with probably a few other Sony controllers, too.

Huge improvements in audio latency

The audio HAL has been switched from the stock, heavily-patched, proprietary Samsung audio HAL to a custom version of the open source Samsung audio HAL from Lineage's android_hardware_samsung repository, with some fixes for a problem that made it unusable before where occasionally, audio would get outputted from both the speakers and the headphone jack.

Within it, the playback and low-latency capture period sizes have been reduced to 128.

With the use of the open source audio HAL and the smaller period sizes, round-trip audio latency has decreased from around 48 ms (if I remember correctly) with the proprietary Samsung audio HAL to 14-16 ms on my tablet, according to the Superpowered audio latency test app, with rough tests with just my headphones and the built-in microphone with the Dr. Rick O'Rang loopback app suggested in Android documentation for latency testing confirming.

With that massive improvement in audio latency, support for pro audio is now declared (for which a round-trip audio latency of 20 ms or less is required). Any apps requiring it to be available in the Google Play Store will now show up, and if any apps check for if pro audio feature support is reported, they'll now run.

If anyone comes across any new problems with the open source audio HAL, do report them.

As always, enjoy.
    New releases for 20220523

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17DJlZUaKd2u-zNxU2GojqM_HjZ1HOK0C/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEFTw3glv6kbqdNodKWnIu5Jw1D47Hq4/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220505 Android security updates and an option for disabling the taskbar.
    • The problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons caused touchscreen input to be disabled has been fixed.
    • Native support for IPsec tunnels has been enabled.
    • Support for Vulkan compute is now declared.
    • A new custom version of the open source Samsung audio HAL from Lineage's android_hardware_samsung repository is now used, rather than the stock, heavily-patched, proprietary Samsung audio HAL, with some fixes for a problem that made it unusable before where occasionally, audio would get outputted from both the speakers and the headphone jack.
    • The playback and low-latency capture period sizes have been reduced to 128 in the open source audio HAL, which reduces audio latency.
    • Pro audio support is now declared, since with the reduced period sizes, as well as with the use of the open source audio HAL, round-trip audio latency has been reduced enough for it.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
    • Several fixes to the Sony HID driver in the 4.9 Android common kernel have been ported over to the kernel - Sony DualShock 4 controllers should now work properly.
    I think stock Android 6 on the tablet had Widevine L1. Didn't it? I don't know how it all works, but I do wonder what is missing. When you posted that you had used the Pixel 3a blobs, I had thought that was whatever blackbox did the widevine L1. I see I was wrong. I guess whatever blobs and whatnot from Android 6 aren't compatible with our LineageOS setups?

If you could explain a bit more of the Widevine internals as it relates to L1 on these tablets, just to cure my ignorance, I'd appreciate it. I've been wondering about it for a while. I can program in assembly language and C, so don't pull any punches. :)
    It would also work on the Android 8.1 stock firmware.

The Widevine DRM HAL, which is what I updated, is part of it. There's also a liboemcrypto.so blob, and Mobicore/the Trustonic TEE, along with relevant "trustlets" for it. WIth a working combination of the Widevine DRM HAL, liboemcrypto blob, Mobicore blobs, and "trustlets", it would be possible for the Widevine security level to be reported as L1. But, still, it would be dropped down to L3.

The commit message for the commit here removing the liboemcrypto blob and also replacing two other DRM-related blobs for Exynos 7580 devices describes, in actuality, Samsung as disabling L1 on devices that are modified in any way. Who knows how that happens or where along the line it does, seeing as all low-level device-specific stuff is, of course, undocumented.

I don't think it's worth continuing discussion on that topic. It's dead-end and I personally have a very poor understanding of it all, as I imagine almost everyone else does. There's no getting back the L1 security level.
    Good work. Upgrade from 18.1 worked flawlessly except for this that appeared and dont know how to remove it.
    What is this bottom bar?
    That's the new, pretty intrustive and seemingly also buggy, taskbar in Android 12L.
    The only way to somewhat get rid of it is to switch to gesture navigation. Oddly, there's no three buttons for navigation on your taskbar there, so I'm not sure if you have it enabled already, and just need to hold down on it to switch to a navigation "pill".
    That can most easily be done by running this command in an ADB shell or a shell with root access otherwise (run `su` in any other type of shell, such as one through an app, to get root access):
    Code:
    cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural
    With it, a small white pill, along with some space around it, replaces the taskbar for navigation. Holding it down would switch back to a taskbar, and holding it down again would switch back to that pill. Note that as it's gesture navigation, you'd have to get used to either using the gestures or ignoring that they're there, especially since they interfere with some gestures in some apps.

Unfortunately, at the moment, we don't have anything else besides switching to gesture navigation to get around it. This all came down from Google/AOSP (the Android Open Source Project) itself. Here's hoping Lineage makes improvements or improvements are made under AOSP to this navigation stuff.