New option for disabling the taskbar
A new option for disabling the widely disliked taskbar has been added by the Lineage team.
Along with that, I've fixed the problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons disabled touchscreen input entirely, which makes that new option for disabling the taskbar usable.
Now, to disable the taskbar, it's unfortunately not very straightforward. The steps are as follows:
From there, to use the hardware keys with no navigation bar or taskbar, simply disable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
- Go to the Settings app, and in it, go to System -> Buttons.
- Enable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
- Go back to the System section, and go to the Buttons section again.
- A new option, "Enable taskbar", should be there. Toggle it off. The taskbar should disappear and be replaced with an old-style navigation bar.
Otherwise, that option can be kept enabled to have an "old-style" navbar, with input from touchkeys being ignored, and with no taskbar. Different methods of navigation can be selected at Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation.
Had some issues with getting the taskbar disabled; though not sure if this is due to Pixel Launcher being installed from my gapps of choice (omni). I performed the above but seemed like the taskbar was just stuck on and even persisted through a reboot when all was disabled. Did some digging and found a fix for myself in feature flags.
Here's what I did:
- Enabled Developer Options
- Go Settings app -> About tablet -> tapped Build number 7 times.
- Clicked Home button.
- Long Press for the Pixel Launcher Popup Menu
- Go Home Settings -> Developer Options -> Click Filter -> Type "taskbar"
- Under Feature flags disable the following:
- ENABLE_TASKBAR (Should be fine with disabling just this flag but I wanted it all off.)
- Click "Apply" in top right corner.
Beyond the initial taskbar issues, the ROM experience and operation itself are great. Happy to have some new life brought into this tablet for light on-the-go work, general other day-to-day tasks and even playing games via Moonlight and XBOX controller. I appreciate your hard work!