LineageOS 19.1 for SM-T580 (gtaxlwifi) and SM-P580 (gtanotexlwifi)

Search This thread

gioxoid

Jan 25, 2011
Florence
something's wrong with latest build. Special apps detect rom rooted, maybe it's related to public keys and rom signature?

BankiZ

May 7, 2011
New releases for 20220724

Downloads:
For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RU6xNosaBlS-VoOGoahpT3zvgiGH-iS9/
For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lh4ThE8TjESt9ru05V0IWlAOP50x-6hP/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220705 Android security updates.
  • Some updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
Enjoy.

Hey there,

I couldn't install this new release.
At first, I tried installing it over the latest one and it couldn't boot. All services such as Google Play Services were failing. Maybe because I should have reinstall NikGapps after the update? Probably.

Anyway, I went for a complete wipe and installed it from scratch with NikGapps. At bootup, a few seconds after arriving on the setup screen I constantly got a "Factory Data Reset" message and a reboot.
It was the same without NikGapps though.

I reinstalled the previous build and it is working just fine.

EDIT: oops, nevermind, not working fine, the OS seems not being able to access the storage 😬
EDIT2: I saw that someone had the same issue recently. I formatted the storage then installed NikGapps Core then the ROM and all back to normal. Still didn't manage to have the latest build working though.

Last edited:

drtweakllc

Nov 29, 2015
Chesapeake
Moto G7 Power
First off thank you for such a good ROM and keeping this tablet alive. The latest update installed fine for me via TWRP dirty flash, also I'm using MicroG.

My question is the internal updater not working? Nothing showed up as an update and I checked back here and saw the update so I manually installed it.

Again thanks.

vstrecker

Sep 10, 2018
Salzburg
I finished my tablet using this rom. All is reallz working great. Thank you very much. Are there any plans to add LTE too? The tablet i finished today is a 585, but no SIM in it. The oter one s a 585 too, but this one uses the SIM for mobil connect

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I have the service disabled until there is a proper fix available.
Thank you for your efforts and this great ROM
A proper fix (here on Lineage's gerrit) has now been applied from upstream AOSP to Lineage, and so it will be included in my next releases.
You're very welcome.

Indeed my performance problem was due to using too heavy gapps, I have reinstalled using the CORE gapps from nikgaps and the performance is tremendously superior. I think it should be specified in the main post to use minimum gapps. Great job and thanks for this rom @TALUAtXDA
Excellent.
I've added a note to use minimal variant gapps packages to the same usability fixes section. Again hoping it won't go unnoticed.
You're welcome.

something's wrong with latest build. Special apps detect rom rooted, maybe it's related to public keys and rom signature?
Not much has changed in the latest build at all, so I'd say there can't be anything wrong like that that's new, unless something has suddenly been added somewhere else that does additional checks, which you'd need to bypass, and is completely out of scope for me.
As for signing, unless something has been added that checks the build signature, that won't be the cause of any issues, as my builds have always been signed with the public test keys.

My question is the internal updater not working? Nothing showed up as an update and I checked back here and saw the update so I manually installed it.
OTA updates aren't setup, and I don't have/know of any place to statically store new builds so I can't set them up.

Thank you for keeping this old tablet alive.I am facing connection problem in the latest version. The wifi randomly disconnects after sometime. I am using gtaxlwifi
You're welcome. I don't have any ideas, again not much has changed in the latest build, there could be an external cause. You could send a PM with a log from logcat after a random disconnection for me to look at, and it could give away information for figuring out possible causes.

Anyone know of an overclocking kernel that works with this? Would love to wake this tablet up a bit
No, you'd need to make your own, and I wouldn't ever suggest using any published anywhere (if they were to exist).

They'd get out-of-date quickly from my kernel sources if they're used (unless updates are regularly released), or not have necessary changes for certain things to work properly at all if some other sources are used as a base, as well as not having my updates/general changes.

Also, most importantly, they could in general cause problems not reproducible with the standard kernels included with my builds (the very reason most other maintainers also discourage use of custom kernels).

Your only option is undervolting for better battery life and less heat, which is much more worth it. Overclocking any further (since there's already an overclock from 1.586GHz to 1.69GHz) is simply not worth the effort for minimal gains. I'm sure I told you this a long while ago.

Are there any plans to add LTE too? The tablet i finished today is a 585, but no SIM in it. The other one is a 585 too, but this one uses the SIM for a mobile connection
Well, now, someone else who got a T585 is trying to bring builds up for it. Hopefully there will be success with it, although as usual, no guarantees for anything.
The note in my original post on the LTE variants remains relevant for me.

Last edited:

h3cat3

Feb 21, 2019
Could it be possible in the next built to get more desktop icon grid options instead of just one? And maybe a better volume slider, there is too much steps, the lower one are literally useless and only becomes audible at 50% of the slider. Also another bug I spotted is the personal safety thing in the setting crashs the app even when Pixel personal safety is installed as system app. Other than that great rom despite the tablet showing its age with slowdowns and very agressive ram management.

h3cat3

Feb 21, 2019
Also when in app overview, when clicking an app icon and selecting free form, the app closes itself and only becomes free form when reopening it manually. I guess it's a bug, maybe you could fix that ?

FirstEver

Jul 18, 2013
London
www.firstever.eu
Hi I found 2 bugs:

1. I can't install manually a CA certificate for AdGuard. When I press "Install anyway" it asks for PIN and going back to 'Encryption and credentials' menu. - my fault.

2. After activating Gesture navigations for most of the time (sometimes works) I can't add apps shortcuts from apps list (bug).

Last edited:

AnIdiotNewbe

Aug 20, 2022
Bluetooth keeps crashing on SM-T580. It was working fine, until it started crashing on 18.1. I've changed the ROM to 19.1 and the same problem appears. How can I fix that?
Screenshot_20220817-150127_Trebuchet.png

JimDandy68

Feb 6, 2012
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5
Moto X4
There shouldn't be severe performance issues, unless they're caused by something you've installed (such as an extremely heavy Google apps package, I'm using MicroG for info) or you have some modification causing problems.

@TALUAtXDA, what microG installer did you use? I have this ROM installed with NikGapps core, and wanted to see if I could uninstall that (using their recommended approach within TWRP) and then install microG before rebooting (it hangs if I reboot after uninstalling NikGapps without having any replacment, so I can't go the route of using a Magisk module installer). Of course, my other option might be to do a wipe and start clean, but I'm curious whether I can just switch within TWRP. Thanks

gioxoid

Jan 25, 2011
Florence
Not much has changed in the latest build at all, so I'd say there can't be anything wrong like that that's new, unless something has suddenly been added somewhere else that does additional checks, which you'd need to bypass, and is completely out of scope for me.
As for signing, unless something has been added that checks the build signature, that won't be the cause of any issues, as my builds have always been signed with the public test keys.
Well, why a non rooted rom, build on google sources, is detected as rooted?

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
Could it be possible in the next built to get more desktop icon grid options instead of just one?
That problem of the single option of 6x5 for the app grid size isn't device-specific, but resolution and DPI-specific. It also appears on the Tab S6 Lite (gta4xlwifi), which is officially supported under Lineage, and has the same DPI.

Fixing it would need modifications outside of device-specific stuff, and so that's out of the scope of my knowledge. It would be yet another AOSP bug with 12/12L.
And maybe a better volume slider, there is too much steps, the lower one are literally useless and only becomes audible at 50% of the slider.
"Useless" is subjective in this case. I find that volumes below around 50% are usable, if I'd really want to use them, in quiet environments.

The number of volume steps are changed from the default of 15 to 25. Going back to 15 would just mean that you have less control, and steps below around 50% would remain "useless".

What sort of loudness you get in general also does of course depend on what you're using as your output device, and its specifications. Steps below 50% may be fine with my specific wired headphones in a quiet environment, maybe not with what you're using.

Certain equalizers or general audio effect apps, ViPER4Android mainly coming to mind, compress audio at high volumes as necessary to prevent distortion rather than bringing volume down altogether. When using them, having more control with more steps, meaning you could have slightly higher volumes while still avoiding compression, is very useful, and so I'm not going to be changing the number of steps in any case.
Also another bug I spotted is the personal safety thing in the setting crashs the app even when Pixel personal safety is installed as system app.
The "Emergency SOS" option causes Settings to crash since these devices don't have telephony capabilities, and so can't make calls. It's just a shortcut for calling any number of choice, with emergency numbers being encouraged and defaults, when pressing the power button quickly five times.

It's another one of the few options that shouldn't be there on WiFi-only devices, yet still are.
Also when in app overview, when clicking an app icon and selecting free form, the app closes itself and only becomes free form when reopening it manually. I guess it's a bug, maybe you could fix that ?
That would be expected behaviour by design. Not good at all, I agree. Trying to change it is, again, out of the scope of my knowledge.
Maybe you could add a VRAM option somewhere ? I know some xiaomi phones used to do that
VRAM? You mean ZRAM? It's already enabled, only with a 768 MiB size currently, and it will be increased to 2 GiB in my next releases. Adding options for it would just allow for controlling it without root access, so they wouldn't really be very useful anyway.

Hi I found 2 bugs:

1. I can't install manually a CA certificate for AdGuard. When I press "Install anyway" it asks for PIN and going back to 'Encryption and credentials' menu.
Can't reproduce at all (with encryption). Get a log from logcat after the crash back to that menu, send it in a PM, and it might help with figuring out possible causes.
2. After activating Gesture navigations for most of the time (sometimes works) I can't add apps shortcuts from apps list (bug).
Can't reproduce here, either.
Edit: Looks like other people on other devices are encountering such a bug, so it's not device-specific. Will have to wait for a fix.

Bluetooth keeps crashing on SM-T580. It was working fine, until it started crashing on 18.1. I've changed the ROM to 19.1 and the same problem appears. How can I fix that?
Try clearing of the app data for that Bluetooth app in case that helps at all, and if it doesn't, either get a log from logcat and send it in a PM, or alternatively try a clean install. No ideas for how that could happen.

@TALUAtXDA, what microG installer did you use? I have this ROM installed with NikGapps core, and wanted to see if I could uninstall that (using their recommended approach within TWRP) and then install microG before rebooting (it hangs if I reboot after uninstalling NikGapps without having any replacment, so I can't go the route of using a Magisk module installer). Of course, my other option might be to do a wipe and start clean, but I'm curious whether I can just switch within TWRP. Thanks
I used the (now fairly old, but still working) official Nanodroid MicroG package (and after that, my own updated builds of Nanodroid MicroG which I don't make anymore). Note you do have to disable the "Unmount system before installing a ZIP" option in TWRPs settings and mount system before installing it to get it to install.

Questioning if that would really help, hmm.
Might get better results formatting system, reinstalling my LineageOS build, and then installing all the packages you need again except NikGapps.

Well, why a non rooted rom, build on google sources, is detected as rooted?
If there's no root access, any checks for root access would definitely fail, or else the check is not a check for root access. I'm guessing you're actually referring to safetynet.

Safetynet would be picking up on something that is not root access and failing.
Note that no attempts to get safetynet passing are made with my builds, asides from the use of an old Google Pixel C fingerprint. If it picks anything up and fails, it's completely up to you to get around it.

Also, these builds aren't built from "Google sources" - They're built from Lineage's sources which are based on AOSP sources.

Last edited:

TALUAtXDA

Nov 8, 2018
New releases for 20220824

Downloads:
For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TU9fFHwuxb8yB6HpfPXNP974Wu1dw0gQ/
For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kLy3M4h76L1JN0jX1C7piyPoS4Af78BS/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220805 Android security updates, and a fix for "Intent Filter Verification Service" crashes that occurred in few/some cases with no Google apps or with MicroG.
  • Some things that appeared that are only relevant for devices with mobile networking (such as the baseband version and SIM status sections in About tablet in settings) no longer appear.
  • The ZRAM size has been increased to 2GiB, and the swappiness is now set to 100.
  • A higher frequency (1246MHz, was 902MHz previously) is now set for the interactive CPU governors "hispeed_freq" value - This improves responsiveness slightly.
  • The sepolicy containing device-specific SELinux rules has been improved slightly.
  • Yet more miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
  • Some updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
As always, enjoy.

Last edited:

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
The number of volume steps are changed from the default of 15 to 25.
I don't have this device, but people who want to change the setting of 25 to something else as per

https://github.com/TALUAtGitHub/and...xl-common/blob/lineage-19.1/system_prop.mk#L5

should be able to find this prop entry in their build.prop, default.prop or system.prop and then boot into TWRP, mount system, adb pull the file onto their local drive, make/save the change and then adb push that file back to the device, reboot into OS and be happy.

I'll let those who want to do this change do their own research on the above.

Note that you will have to make this change everytime you update the rom because the new rom will overwrite that value.

Zoranix7232

Aug 27, 2022
Thank you so much! This works really great on my SM-T580 and SM-P585Y! The only glitch l could find is that when l slide the brightness bar to the darkest the screen just go completely dark, it's like the screen is turned off (this only occur in my SM-P585Y though). l hope you'll fix this in the future. ;)

Reactions: TALUAtXDA

vstrecker

Sep 10, 2018
Salzburg

Downloads:
For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TU9fFHwuxb8yB6HpfPXNP974Wu1dw0gQ/
For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kLy3M4h76L1JN0jX1C7piyPoS4Af78BS/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220805 Android security updates, and a fix for "Intent Filter Verification Service" crashes that occurred in few/some cases with no Google apps or with MicroG.
  • Some things that appeared that are only relevant for devices with mobile networking (such as the baseband version and SIM status sections in About tablet in settings) no longer appear.
  • The ZRAM size has been increased to 2GiB, and the swappiness is now set to 100.
  • A higher frequency (1246MHz, was 902MHz previously) is now set for the interactive CPU governors "hispeed_freq" value - This improves responsiveness slightly.
  • The sepolicy containing device-specific SELinux rules has been improved slightly.
As always, enjoy.
Thank you, works great on my 585.

Top Liked Posts

New builds for 20220929

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15D5tDk91Xk1zS8GHhdW8tQ_qx8ndPrfE/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EwsZjA842T9otCInkxQYHADDkw7N8UTK/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220905 Android security updates.
    • The torch has been fixed.
    • Performance of animations and responsiveness has been improved slightly.
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only, already fixed in T580 builds long ago] An issue where the displays backlight would be turned off completely when setting very low brightnesses, causing nothing to be visible on the display (unless very faintly if you shine a torch or a different bright light source on it), has been fixed.
    • The WiFi drivers RX wakelock feature has been disabled - Heavy battery drain that occurred in sleep when connected to certain WiFi networks due to "qcom_rx_wakelock" wakelocks has been fixed.
    Later than usual with these builds due to yet more busyness. Will definitely try getting the next ones released earlier than usual.
    Nevertheless, just so managed to get several fixes into these, enjoy.
    New builds for 20220929

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15D5tDk91Xk1zS8GHhdW8tQ_qx8ndPrfE/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EwsZjA842T9otCInkxQYHADDkw7N8UTK/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220905 Android security updates.
    • [SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi only, already fixed in T580 builds long ago] An issue where the displays backlight would be turned off completely when setting very low brightnesses, causing nothing to be visible on the display (unless very faintly if you shine a torch or a different bright light source on it), has been fixed.
    • The WiFi drivers RX wakelock feature has been disabled - Heavy battery drain that occurred in sleep when connected to certain WiFi networks due to "qcom_rx_wakelock" wakelocks has been fixed.
    Later than usual with these builds due to yet more busyness. Will definitely try getting the next ones released earlier than usual.
    Nevertheless, just so managed to get several fixes into these, enjoy.
    Ah, my apologies, misunderstood.
    (Not an issue on my tablet, I just had that confusion with someone on a bright day)
    Alright, I see, no worries.

The navbar can't be disabled at the moment and is well known and often asked.
    As @Archaide already replied to the same post you've replied to, I kindly suggest taking a look at my very first post in this thread. I've put a note on disabling the taskbar/navbar, directing you to my post from a few months ago with instructions on how to do so.
    For the most part the same as any other device. 🙃

Unlock the bootloader.
    Install custom recovery (TWRP).
    Boot into recovery.
    - Format data
    - Install custom rom (Lineage).
    - - Install GApps if you wish.
    Reboot.

To unlock the bootloader and install TWRP. Take a look at the T580/T585 TWRP thread.
    Official TWRP for Galaxy Tab A 10.1 - [xdaThread] - Link

Cheers. :cowboy:
    ... short addition: if 8.1.0 is not the latest stock build (what I don't know at the moment) I would recommend firstly to update within the stock rom in order to receive the latest firmware before flashing a custom rom.

I received this recommendation from the developer when I switched to his rom
    Does this build solve lack of s-pen power saving issue?
    Well, there haven't ever been any reports of such an issue, and I don't actually have a P580, so I can't have ever known such an issue exists without any reports.

Regardless, I'm not 100% sure what you mean, need more information about it (How did you find that it exists? Seems like everything is setup properly and should be fine, don't think there should be any problems around power management).
    But I didn't get how to install MicroG. Perhaps someone could explain the process of installing it (or link to a description). Second option would be to use gapps (but here I'm not sure about which flavour I should use - any ideas?). Thanks a lot.
    If you have Magisk installed, you could just use this module: https://github.com/nift4/microg_installer_revived

If you don't and don't want to install it, there's the now fairly old, but still working on 12L, official Nanodroid MicroG package available from here. You just need to disable the "Unmount system before installing a ZIP" option in TWRPs settings and mount system before installing it, otherwise it will fail.

For Google apps, if you really end up needing to use them (seeing as you're considering MicroG, hopefully you can avoid them), although in the context of a suggestion not to use heavier variant packages, usable Google app packages are mentioned in the "LineageOS 19.1/Android 12 usability fixes" section of my very first post in this thread.

You're very welcome.
    This is LineageOS 19.1, which is based on Android 12, for the WiFi-only variants of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016), with model SM-T580 and codename gtaxlwifi, and the Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016) with S-Pen, with model SM-P580 and codename gtanotexlwifi. LineageOS doesn't need much of an introduction - It's a well-known custom firmware/Android distribution.

As was the case with LineageOS 18.1, I've taken over maintaining 19.1 from @followmsi, and my 19.1 builds continue on from his 19.1 builds that were intended for use by users. To update from his builds, my builds can simply be installed on top of an existing install from his builds without doing anything further (or "dirty flashed").

For those running 18.1 or 17.1, upgrading to 19.1 is possible through the procedure I've explained before here and here (except with 19.1/Android 12 and 18.1 rather than 18.1/Android 11 and 17.1 for that second post). I highly suggest backing up any important data before trying to upgrade. In the unlikely case the upgrade fails, and it doesn't boot, data would need to be formatted.

LineageOS 19.1/Android 12 usability fixes:
    For those wanting to disable the widely disliked taskbar
    (the grey bar at the bottom with the 3 navigation buttons and shortcuts for apps docked at the launcher): Instructions for doing so are in the first section of my post here.
    For enabling lockscreen rotation: Instructions for doing so are in my post here.
    For those needing Google apps: Do not use heavy Google apps packages, as otherwise, you WILL have severe performance issues. Instead, use the most minimal variant of your chosen package. For example, for OpenGapps (no longer maintained officially with no Android 12L packages, so use @ipdev's latest unofficial build available here), that is the pico variant, and for NikGapps (note that it now seems to more often be problematic, probably better using something else), that is the core variant.
    Note that MindTheGapps, a minimal Google apps package suggested but not supported by Lineage with only one variant available, downloadable here, is also an option for Google apps.

Downloads:
    Note: While these builds are mainly intended to be used on the WiFi-only variants of these devices, they can be installed and used on LTE variants if you can go without mobile networking (of course), GPS and vibration.
    I'm only going to try getting builds up for the LTE variants if I get one in the future. Trying to do so without direct access to an LTE variant device is very difficult and not really feasible (as I've realized after thinking in much more depth about it since thinking I'd be able to do so without an LTE variant device a long time ago).

For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi:

Latest build from 20220929 (with security patch level 20220905): https://drive.google.com/file/d/15D5tDk91Xk1zS8GHhdW8tQ_qx8ndPrfE/
    Folder for builds (which contains a text file with a SHA256 checksum for the latest build, and a folder containing previous builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S3NRiTP2jr9gRtSMKoKoaoMu75g_FJM4

For the T580, the latest official TWRP build from here should be used. If installing a build for the T580 to the LTE variant, with model SM-T585 and codename gtaxllte, keeping in mind some functionality will of course be missing as described in my note, the latest official TWRP build for gtaxllte from here can also be used.

For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi:
    Latest build from 20220929 (with security patch level 20220905): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EwsZjA842T9otCInkxQYHADDkw7N8UTK/
    Folder for builds (which contains a text file with a SHA256 checksum for the latest build, and a folder containing previous builds): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11pcp9NZf0ovelvT7oxfhoem6-utpSao8

For the P580, I've made unofficial TWRP builds from an updated device tree and the same kernel sources used for these LineageOS builds that must be used.
    Download link for an image of my latest TWRP build: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TAFLVpxdYQNvfvUPS_BGKx3imphR1Wd2/
    Download link for a tar archive containing it for installation via Odin in the AP slot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ay55ntZj7Uptzm--hiCaeG1C5lamQ1fG/

Changelogs:
    Builds for 20220929:
    Previous releases:
    Builds for 20220824:
    Builds for 20220724:
    • Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220705 Android security updates.
    Builds for 20220620:
    • Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220605 Android security updates.
    • Network traffic monitoring now works (as some changes reverting the removal of the old, non-eBPF, method of doing it that the old 3.18 kernel only supports have been applied, thanks to @rINanDO for them!).
    • One of Lineage's changes to the default keyboard, likely to be causing a problem where the keyboard appears full screen with no keys in very few cases, has been reverted.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel, and some from a few other sources, have been applied to the kernel.
    • The issue where trying to power off, or reboot to recovery or download mode, would sometimes cause a normal reboot has been fixed.
    • A small fix to the kernel has been applied that fixes occasional soft reboots, that were caused by a change I made a very long time ago that had only started causing such soft rebooting problems with Android 12.
    Builds for 20220523:
    • Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220505 Android security updates and an option for disabling the taskbar.
    • The problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons caused touchscreen input to be disabled has been fixed.
    • Native support for IPsec tunnels has been enabled.
    • Support for Vulkan compute is now declared.
    • A new custom version of the open source Samsung audio HAL from Lineage's android_hardware_samsung repository is now used, rather than the stock, heavily-patched, proprietary Samsung audio HAL, with some fixes for a problem that made it unusable before where occasionally, audio would get outputted from both the speakers and the headphone jack.
    • The playback and low-latency capture period sizes have been reduced to 128 in the open source audio HAL, which reduces audio latency.
    • Pro audio support is now declared, since with the reduced period sizes, as well as with the use of the open source audio HAL, round-trip audio latency has been reduced enough for it.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
    • Several fixes to the Sony HID driver in the 4.9 Android common kernel have been ported over to the kernel - Sony DualShock 4 controllers should now work properly.
    Initial builds for 20220416 (This changelog continues on from @followmsi's last 19.1 build that was intended for use by users):
    • Latest changes from LineageOS.
    • SELinux is now set to be enforcing after having addressed new SELinux denials with 12.
    • Assisted GPS has been fixed.
    • ADB is no longer enabled by default or on boot.
    • The tablet product characteristic has been added back after being mistakenly removed - Places where the device was referred to as a phone (such as the "About phone" section in settings) will now refer to it as a tablet again.
    • The Widevine DRM blobs have been updated to 1.4 blobs from the latest stock firmware for the Google Pixel 3a XL.
    • A new wcnss_filter binary built from sources is now used to properly fix an issue where Bluetooth couldn't be re-enabled after enabling and disabling it once, and the old workaround for it has been removed.
    • Some other miscellaneous cleanups have been done.
    • There are a few updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel and Samsung's A600FNXXU9CVB1 kernel sources to the kernel.
    • An issue where the displays backlight would be turned off completely when setting very low brightnesses, causing nothing to be visible on the display (unless very faintly if you shine a torch or a different bright light source on it), has been fixed.

Known issues and workarounds (if any):
    Issue 1: Camera previews for images to be taken at resolutions with aspect ratios other than 16:9 using the rear camera are squashed from 16:9 (while final saved images at any resolution are unaffected by any squashing), and videos taken at some resolutions are affected by similar issues with squashing in previews, and, in a smaller set of resolutions, also in final saved video files. (Note that these issues don't affect the front-facing camera)
    Somewhat of a workaround to issue 1: Use resolutions at which there are no issues with squashing from 16:9.

Something notable is that currently, with Android 12, encrypted data can't be decrypted in TWRP recovery. That problem can only be fixed within TWRP, so we'll need to wait for an update to TWRP which fixes it. (Considering there hasn't been a fix as of 20220903, I suppose it most likely won't ever happen.)

To report further issues, get a log from logcat and dmesg. If you're unsure on how to get either, there's good documentation out there for how to do so.

Sources:
    A manifest containing all of the necessary repositories to make a build for either the T580 or P580 is in this repository on branch lineage-19.1: https://github.com/TALUAtGitHub/gtaxlwifi-manifests

Starting from my initial 19.1 build, a new common tree setup, with new gtaxl common device and vendor trees, along with new gtaxlwifi and gtanotexlwifi device and vendor trees to use with them, is used to create builds. Before, the gtaxlwifi device tree was a standalone tree, and the gtanotexlwifi device tree was a complete copy of it with changes for the P580 on top, meaning a lot of stuff was duplicated between them. With such new setup, that duplication no longer exists, and build times when building builds for both the T580 and P580, one after the other, are massively decreased.
    18.1 builds for 20220423 onwards are also built with that setup, only without changes for Android 12.

Thanks to:
    • @Valera1978 - for all of the previous work for the T580 (and T585) long ago.
    • @followmsi - for fixes to various issues and other improvements, for useful information, and for working with me on much of this stuff.
    • Anyone who has previously tested anything new I've put up for testing, reported results, and provided information needed for me to get it working if it was necessary.
    • The Lineage team - for the Android distribution itself.
    • ...and everyone else who has worked on anything that is in use.

Downloads:

Changelog:

As always, enjoy.
    New releases for 20220620

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1onRpEeNRkFpVrZqP4bFbZoDyf9N1GkVY/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WgT1ZCz5sqf7g41OECqCyULmCO-ss2X3/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220605 Android security updates.
    • Network traffic monitoring now works (as some changes reverting the removal of the old, non-eBPF, method of doing it that the old 3.18 kernel only supports have been applied, thanks to @rINanDO for them!).
    • One of Lineage's changes to the default keyboard, likely to be causing a problem where the keyboard appears full screen with no keys in very few cases, has been reverted.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel, and some from a few other sources, have been applied to the kernel.
    • The issue where trying to power off, or reboot to recovery or download mode, would sometimes cause a normal reboot has been fixed.
    • A small fix to the kernel has been applied that fixes occasional soft reboots, that were caused by a change I made a very long time ago that had only started causing such soft rebooting problems with Android 12.
    As always, enjoy.
    More detailed release notes for the builds for 20220523

New option for disabling the taskbar

A new option for disabling the widely disliked taskbar has been added by the Lineage team.
    Along with that, I've fixed the problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons disabled touchscreen input entirely, which makes that new option for disabling the taskbar usable.

Now, to disable the taskbar, it's unfortunately not very straightforward. The steps are as follows:
    • Go to the Settings app, and in it, go to System -> Buttons.
    • Enable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
    • Go back to the System section, and go to the Buttons section again.
    • A new option, "Enable taskbar", should be there. Toggle it off. The taskbar should disappear and be replaced with an old-style navigation bar.
    From there, to use the hardware keys with no navigation bar or taskbar, simply disable the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option.
    Otherwise, that option can be kept enabled to have an "old-style" navbar, with input from touchkeys being ignored, and with no taskbar. Different methods of navigation can be selected at Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation.

Sony DualShock 4 controller support

Several fixes to the Sony HID driver that are in the 4.9 Android common kernel have been ported to the Sony HID driver in our older 3.18 kernel, including fixes for DS4 controller support.

With them, DS4 controllers should now work properly, along with probably a few other Sony controllers, too.

Huge improvements in audio latency

The audio HAL has been switched from the stock, heavily-patched, proprietary Samsung audio HAL to a custom version of the open source Samsung audio HAL from Lineage's android_hardware_samsung repository, with some fixes for a problem that made it unusable before where occasionally, audio would get outputted from both the speakers and the headphone jack.

Within it, the playback and low-latency capture period sizes have been reduced to 128.

With the use of the open source audio HAL and the smaller period sizes, round-trip audio latency has decreased from around 48 ms (if I remember correctly) with the proprietary Samsung audio HAL to 14-16 ms on my tablet, according to the Superpowered audio latency test app, with rough tests with just my headphones and the built-in microphone with the Dr. Rick O'Rang loopback app suggested in Android documentation for latency testing confirming.

With that massive improvement in audio latency, support for pro audio is now declared (for which a round-trip audio latency of 20 ms or less is required). Any apps requiring it to be available in the Google Play Store will now show up, and if any apps check for if pro audio feature support is reported, they'll now run.

If anyone comes across any new problems with the open source audio HAL, do report them.

As always, enjoy.
    New releases for 20220523

Downloads:
    For SM-T580/gtaxlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17DJlZUaKd2u-zNxU2GojqM_HjZ1HOK0C/
    For SM-P580/gtanotexlwifi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEFTw3glv6kbqdNodKWnIu5Jw1D47Hq4/

Changelog:

• Latest changes from LineageOS, including the 20220505 Android security updates and an option for disabling the taskbar.
    • The problem where enabling the "Enable on-screen nav bar" option at Settings -> System -> Buttons caused touchscreen input to be disabled has been fixed.
    • Native support for IPsec tunnels has been enabled.
    • Support for Vulkan compute is now declared.
    • A new custom version of the open source Samsung audio HAL from Lineage's android_hardware_samsung repository is now used, rather than the stock, heavily-patched, proprietary Samsung audio HAL, with some fixes for a problem that made it unusable before where occasionally, audio would get outputted from both the speakers and the headphone jack.
    • The playback and low-latency capture period sizes have been reduced to 128 in the open source audio HAL, which reduces audio latency.
    • Pro audio support is now declared, since with the reduced period sizes, as well as with the use of the open source audio HAL, round-trip audio latency has been reduced enough for it.
    • Many updates from the 4.9 Android common kernel have been applied to the kernel.
    • Several fixes to the Sony HID driver in the 4.9 Android common kernel have been ported over to the kernel - Sony DualShock 4 controllers should now work properly.