LineageOS 20.0 (Android 13) for Mi Pad 4 Plus

Search This thread

GregEden

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
I have switched over to LineageOS from sabar's Pixel Experience. This is a cut and paste with small variations from what I tested on Pixel Experience. They are now effectively equal for me.

I did a clean install and did not restore anything. I then spent an hour in Playstore adding back all my most used apps and logging into accounts. So an absolutely clean install. I also used Fastboot to install twrp-4.19-3.7.0_9-clover-20221007-0724 before installing this ROM. I do not use Magisk.

Autorotate works in all my apps, and on the lock screen if you enable it in settings. Playstore is certified. Netflix is installable and indeed runs fine. Netflix is in SD as is always the case but on an 8" screen SD looks good.

WiFi runs at the full speed of my Internet connection, so close to 100Mbps. My connection is via a 5Ghz channel. 4G LTE runs at about 50Mbps which is only limited by my reception. Bluetooth works and my Creative headphones default to aptX HD. I have a Bluetooth DAC for my HiFi and it connects via LDAC for the best bluetooth connection you can have. My wired headphone and microphone work as well.

Microphone works and I can run Duolingo without problems (something that I have not been able to do for a while).

I use external USB-C drives. They work. They also work via the Google Files app, which was not always the case. I have a 256GB microSD card inserted and set as external storage. It works fine.

GPS locks on quickly. No issues. Compass apps and SkyMap work as they should. Google Maps and maps.me work as they should.

I have a Google One account and the Google VPN is installed and running. I also have Avira anti malware installed - the free version.

I use Google Authenticator and was able to use the camera to read the QR codes from inside the app. Google Lens works and will capture an image and look for results.

All in all a very polished product. I do not see much that needs fixing. For me the camera is only for using as a QR scanner, Google Translate and Google Lens and it will never get used for actual photography. But it works.

Inware reports that root is hidden. Thus I do not see any problem with using banking apps if you wanted to do that.

zyhk

May 9, 2020
As I wrote wrong technical information based on the previous ROM before, I will write confirmed technical information on audio based on this ROM.

• DRC (Dynamic Range Control, i.e., compression) for all audio outputs including Bluetooth
    • disabled unlike other SDM devices (as a tweak? its switch is on though)
  • Bluetooth:
    • a2dp hardware offload disabled, i.e., no forced 48kHz resampling at the mixer unlike other SDM devices
    • codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, LDAC
    • SBC & AAC: 44.1kHz fixed
    • aptX & aptX HD: 48kHz default
      • changing 44.1kHz is best for usual audio sources
    • LDAC: 96kHz & 32bit & Best effort default
      • changing 44.1kHz & 32bit & 909 kbps is best for usual audio sources
  • USB audio: "usb" HAL module used (not "usbv2" unlike Pixel6)
    • up to 96kHz without some Magisk module as usual
    • automatic detection of your DAC capabilities, and will set 96kHz & 32bit (24bit for cheap ones) mode for almost all external DAC's

Reactions: GregEden

GregEden

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
As I wrote wrong technical information based on the previous ROM before, I will write confirmed technical information on audio based on this ROM.

• DRC (Dynamic Range Control, i.e., compression) for all audio outputs including Bluetooth
    • disabled unlike other SDM devices (as a tweak? its switch is on though)
  • Bluetooth:
    • a2dp hardware offload disabled, i.e., no forced 48kHz resampling at the mixer unlike other SDM devices
    • codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, LDAC
    • SBC & AAC: 44.1kHz fixed
    • aptX & aptX HD: 48kHz default
      • changing 44.1kHz is best for usual audio sources
    • LDAC: 96kHz & 32bit & Best effort default
      • changing 44.1kHz & 32bit & 909 kbps is best for usual audio sources
  • USB audio: "usb" HAL module used (not "usbv2" unlike Pixel6)
    • up to 96kHz without some Magisk module as usual
    • automatic detection of your DAC capabilities, and will set 96kHz & 32bit (24bit for cheap ones) mode for almost all external DAC's
I also tried a Baseus 24bit/48kHz USB-C headphone adaptor. Mainly just to see if it works. Paired with my Koss wired headphones it sounded pretty good. Is it better or worse than just using the headphone jack? That is hard to say. I would not be running out to buy one just for the MiPad because it is probably identical to the headphone jack quality. I have it for another device.
BTW that is streaming from Tidal at HiFi quality, but not he MQA tier.

Last edited:

zyhk

May 9, 2020
I also tried a Baseus 24bit/48kHz USB-C headphone adaptor. Mainly just to see if it works. Paired with my Koss wired headphones it sounded pretty good. Is it better or worse than just using the headphone jack? That is hard to say. I would not be running out to buy one just for the MiPad because it is probably identical to the headphone jack quality. I have it for another device.
BTW that is streaming from Tidal at HiFi quality, but not he MQA tier.
I wouldn't say much. The reasons why usual Android devices cannot deliver hi-fi music are the quality of resampling and the amount of jitter generated from battery optimizations and others.

If you like, try my Magisk modues Audio Misc Settings and Audio Jitter Silencer. They can improve the resampling quality ( to a mastering quality) and reduce the jitter.

Enjoy hi-fi music!

GregEden

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
I wouldn't say much. The reasons why usual Android devices cannot deliver hi-fi music are the quality of resampling and the amount of jitter generated from battery optimizations and others.

If you like, try my Magisk modues Audio Misc Settings and Audio Jitter Silencer. They can improve the resampling quality ( to a mastering quality) and reduce the jitter.

Enjoy hi-fi music!
I might dabble but it is unlikely because my tablet is mostly for casual use. Kudos to you for doing the work to create the system. I mainly use a Dell notebook (Linux) and a USB connected SMSL SU-9 DAC connected to my HiFi gear. The DAC is a mid range unit but I am happy enough with the result.

As an aside there is a setting on our MiPads Settings -> System -> Device Settings -> Mi Sound Enhancer. I think it degrades the sound when switched on. But sound is a personal thing and depends on age a lot (not music taste loss of high frequency hearing as you get older).

Reactions: zyhk
I have switched over to LineageOS from sabar's Pixel Experience. This is a cut and paste with small variations from what I tested on Pixel Experience. They are now effectively equal for me.

I did a clean install and did not restore anything. I then spent an hour in Playstore adding back all my most used apps and logging into accounts. So an absolutely clean install. I also used Fastboot to install twrp-4.19-3.7.0_9-clover-20221007-0724 before installing this ROM. I do not use Magisk.

Autorotate works in all my apps, and on the lock screen if you enable it in settings. Playstore is certified. Netflix is installable and indeed runs fine. Netflix is in SD as is always the case but on an 8" screen SD looks good.

WiFi runs at the full speed of my Internet connection, so close to 100Mbps. My connection is via a 5Ghz channel. 4G LTE runs at about 50Mbps which is only limited by my reception. Bluetooth works and my Creative headphones default to aptX HD. I have a Bluetooth DAC for my HiFi and it connects via LDAC for the best bluetooth connection you can have. My wired headphone and microphone work as well.

Microphone works and I can run Duolingo without problems (something that I have not been able to do for a while).

I use external USB-C drives. They work. They also work via the Google Files app, which was not always the case. I have a 256GB microSD card inserted and set as external storage. It works fine.

GPS locks on quickly. No issues. Compass apps and SkyMap work as they should. Google Maps and maps.me work as they should.

I have a Google One account and the Google VPN is installed and running. I also have Avira anti malware installed - the free version.

I use Google Authenticator and was able to use the camera to read the QR codes from inside the app. Google Lens works and will capture an image and look for results.

All in all a very polished product. I do not see much that needs fixing. For me the camera is only for using as a QR scanner, Google Translate and Google Lens and it will never get used for actual photography. But it works.

Inware reports that root is hidden. Thus I do not see any problem with using banking apps if you wanted to do that.
hi @GregEden with which GAPPS version has you installed this rom? Thanx

zyhk

May 9, 2020
Thanks @sabar_op, I updated to the latest ROM by dirty flashing without problems.

I find the DRC is now on default unlike Nov. 1 & Nov. 6 ROM's.
I feel this DRC is rather old and not in good quality, even generates slightly clipping noise. I felt previous DRC was rather deep, but in considerably good quality.

Edit:
Corrected by comparison,

DRC switch: on (default)
(speaker_drc_enabled="true")
DRC switch: off
(speaker_drc_enabled="false")
Nov.6 ROMvery shallow compression,
but good quality
deep compression,
but good quality
Latest ROMshallow compression,
and obviously rough quality
(very like the stock one)
completely no compression,
and very good quality

Note:
speaker_drc_enabled in /vendor/etc/audop_policy_configuration.xml is the DRC switch on Android for not only internal speakers, but also USB DAC's, 3.5mm jack, Bluetooth earphones and capturing

Edit:
I think now slightly clipping I wrote is wrong. It might be rough sound caused by jitter distortion.

Last edited:
Reactions: senseii
have you finally boot to the system? I've got the same problem. The Mi pad does not start, I've tried several TWRP, and different ROMs and always restart into the recovery.. don't know what else to do...
finally I've managed to do it... for some reason when I updated from version lineage-20.0-20221106-UNOFFICIAL-clover to version lineage-20.0-20221110-UNOFFICIAL-clover the system when corrupt and I had to perform all the steps in the first post: Perform clean install from TWRP (factory reset, format data and wipe system), to be able to boot the system. Previously I did all the steps except the format data and it didn't work, with all the steps the system boots just fine :)
First time I had such an issue.

Great room, using daily with no issues

Reactions: GregEden

GregEden

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
Great to read that this ROM is great and steady. Can anyone help with to jump from Android 11 sabar rom to this Android 13. Am a rookie please, thanks.
It is a big leap. The new ROMs use the 4.19 kernel and the layout is different. So it has to be a clean install. You will need the latest 4.19 version of TWRP. So read the instructions carefully and do not rush.

GregEden

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
lineage-20.0-20221110-UNOFFICIAL-clover.zip

NikGapps-basic-arm64-13-20220908-signed.zip

twrp-4.19-3.7.0_9-clover-20221113-0854.img

So put the Lineage ROM on an SD card together with NikGAAPS and put the card in the tablet.
Use a computer to use Fastboot to write the TWRP image - a USB 2 device works best. Then boot into recovery and follow the instructions above. From TWRP format System and Data and wipe the caches. Do NOT under any circumstances wipe or format Vendor or Persist

Last edited:
Reactions: senseii and syneoa

Top Liked Posts