LineageOS for microG

Search This thread

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I'm wondering why someone would not want Google but instead use LINE to control their life... :unsure:
It's because lots of people -- including me -- do not use LINE to "control their life".

There's a very big difference between wanting to communicate with friends in Asia who use LINE Messenger and having something like LINE control ones life. You know that's true.

I accept your apology for your poorly thought out statement.

I'm posting again about LINE Messenger here after a long hiatus from my original question about LINE nearly two years ago. During that time, has anyone been able to get LINE working under microG under lineageos?

I have tried to contact LINE corporation to ask if they would be willing to help me get LINE Messenger running under microG, and I'm willing to pay. But I couldn't get any responses. Perhaps does anyone happen to have found one or more contacts at LINE with whom I could discuss this?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Aqq123

Aug 27, 2009
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
During that time, has anyone been able to get LINE working under microG under lineageos?
Works for me, on 18.1 and 19.1 (text chat, notifications, audio & video calls).

As far as I know the only thing that doesn't work without a Google account is transferring chat history between devices, since stupidly it can be backed up to Google Drive (I think) but not to a local file. I guess it can probably be bypassed by copying the app data manually but I didn't bother trying.

Or do you have any specific functionality in mind like Line Pay? I don't use that.

Reactions: HippoMan

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Works for me, on 18.1 and 19.1 (text chat, notifications, audio & video calls).

As far as I know the only thing that doesn't work without a Google account is transferring chat history between devices, since stupidly it can be backed up to Google Drive (I think) but not to a local file. I guess it can probably be bypassed by copying the app data manually but I didn't bother trying.

Or do you have any specific functionality in mind like Line Pay? I don't use that.
Thank you **very** much!

No, I don't use Line Pay, and so I'm now happy to know that I could use LINE Messenger with 18.1 or 19.1. And yes, I'll figure out a way to back up the LINE history.

PS: Oh, and I guess this means that I can't restore my current LINE history from my other, Googled device to the new lineageos-based microG device. Well, I'll see if I can figure something out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aqq123

CalYorBro

Feb 3, 2022
The newest version for my device has a boot image I can download. Is this the same as the one i get from a payload dumper? Can I use this image to get root or should I do it the old way?

DJTINKER

Jul 25, 2022
Noticed that Moto One Action now has Lineage OS for MicroG 20.0 to download. See a boot image I can download, but do not see a recovery image to download. Do I use Recovery Image from Lineage OS for now? TWRP? If I boot to TWRP and flash version 20.0 will the recovery be replaced as part of ROM. Best Option?

raix1415

Dec 8, 2022
Hello All, I have installed LOS for microG 19.1 on Asus Zenfone 5z. Almost all is running ok so far but I have an issue with VPN. When I enable “Always-on VPN” and “Block connections without VPN” options in settings, it blocks also connection for the actual VPN app with these settings turned on. As a result I cannot connect to VPN with these enabled. I tried this with 2 different VPN apps and the behaviour was the same. When I turn them off, connection works perfectly fine but I want to avoid leaks outside of VPN.

I then created a Work profile with Insular, installed the same VPN app and turned the above settings on. In this case it worked as intended – all is blocked apart from the VPN app that can still connect regardless of the status in Personal profile.

I have also LOS for microG 18.1 installed on LG G2 and there seems to be no connection/block issue with VPN.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with VPN on LOS 19.1 or could try it? What is causing this and is there any possible solution, pls? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi All, just fyi, after upgrading to LOS for microG 20.0 it seems that the VPN issue is resolved.

Reactions: kurtn

minist15

Apr 30, 2017
Hello. I was using LOsMicroG 19.1 successfully on my Motorola One Action and upgraded to 20 , but now I could not ( after several attempts , even reverting to 19.1 and it failed again ) register a Viber account , which is related to my profession. I am now forced to use Gapps. Why did this happen ????

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
POCO M2 Pro
Hello. I was using LOsMicroG 19.1 successfully on my Motorola One Action and upgraded to 20 , but now I could not ( after several attempts , even reverting to 19.1 and it failed again ) register a Viber account , which is related to my profession. I am now forced to use Gapps. Why did this happen ????
Does Viber register correctly in Google cloud messaging? Restoring backups often breaks that.

piwei

Apr 21, 2019
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, after an upgrade. Without me noticing the "microG Settings" / "microG Services Core" app had its network settings changed to not allow anything or at least not allow to access WiFi and mobile data. The result was that I couldn't successfully register any app with the Google services through microG!

Probably not your problem, but it might be worth checking permissions of the apps involved, including microG itself...

minist15

Apr 30, 2017
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, after an upgrade. Without me noticing the "microG Settings" / "microG Services Core" app had its network settings changed to not allow anything or at least not allow to access WiFi and mobile data. The result was that I couldn't successfully register any app with the Google services through microG!

Probably not your problem, but it might be worth checking permissions of the apps involved, including microG itself...
This is useful information, but I'm tired of reinstalling a hundred times. I'll be with gapps for a while now. I don't want to use Google's services, but I have to. Isn't that the point of MicroG , and now it's failed !!!

Reactions: HippoMan

ale5000

Dec 24, 2013
This is useful information, but I'm tired of reinstalling a hundred times. I'll be with gapps for a while now. I don't want to use Google's services, but I have to. Isn't that the point of MicroG , and now it's failed !!!
As already said it can be an issue in LineageOS (not in microG) that negate network permission to microG.

• Wow
Reactions: minist15

minist15

Apr 30, 2017

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212-225400_Trebuchet_105421.png
    Screenshot_20230212-225400_Trebuchet_105421.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 17

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, does somebody know if u can install microg the same way you install Gapps on lineage? It's an unofficial build so there is no Lineage for microG version available
    Some unofficial LOS builders do make versions which include MicroG. It's not a difficult change or addition: you need one more line in a manifest, and to set one environment variable. If the devloper of your build doesn't do it already, ask if they would be prepared to try
    Hi, does somebody know if u can install microg the same way you install Gapps on lineage? It's an unofficial build so there is no Lineage for microG version available
    The reason, lineage4microG exists, is the unavailability of signature spoofing in official lineageOS. Developers of unofficial lineageOS are free to implement signature spoofing or GApps or whatever they want. Talk to your developer.
    There are various methods to setup a custom ROM. Including some flashable microG installers. But be aware: microG is not GApps.
    Hi, LineageOS has recently added 19.1 and 20.0 builds for Mi439 devices (Redmi 7A / 8 / 8A / 8A Dual):

Could you please add them here?
    "https://download.lineage.microg.org"

Thank you.

Edit: Added (2023-03-10) https://download.lineage.microg.org/Mi439/
    Hi, LineageOS has recently added 19.1 and 20.0 builds for Mi439 devices (Redmi 7A / 8 / 8A / 8A Dual):

Could you please add them here?
    "https://download.lineage.microg.org"

Thank you.
    Wait another day.
    my understanding (which might be a MIS-understanding, and if so, I apologize) is that I would first have to access my device-only contacts, copy an appropriate phone number to the clipboard, and then paste the phone number into the dialer or the SMS program.

You have misunderstood :)

Apps on your device which have the 'Contacts' permission - including the default Phone and Messaging apps - can access all the contacts stored on the device. That includes 'device-only' contacts as well as contacts which are synched with cloud services.

If the default Contacts app is not showing device-only contacts, then - in the app - go to Settings | Contacts to display.

The Contacts view in the default Phone app, will show **all** contacts, and the Messaging app will access **all** contacts, whether they are device -only or shared with the cloud.
    Android experience relies heavily on Google's Play Services. The microG project creates an alternative to installing Gapps, which install and execute closed-source blobs on our phones. MicroG however requires a patch called "signature spoofing", which allows microG's apps to spoof themselves as Google Apps. LineageOS currently does not include the patch due to different opinions among the developers. (further information can be found here)

This makes microG installation difficult on LineageOS and other ROMs. Our ROM is a fork of LineageOS with just the necessary changes to have microG built-in. We ship weekly builds for all the LineageOS supported devices..

You can find us on https://lineage.microg.org

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for microG, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Simon94, ncorna, n1zzo, LineageOS, MaR-V-iN
    Source Code: https://github.com/lineageos4microg

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2017-11-06
    Last Updated 2020-08-28
    Just to give a small heads up. As you may noticed some of the project members the priorities have shifted to other projects.

I was and am still willing to take over some of the tasks, but as microG lacked some bugfixes and support for LineageOS 17.1 i was not sure whether its worth it to spend more time into LineageOS for microG. Once marvin released the new microG update, we still had to check with our team, how we'll proceed.

For now i've taken over the responsibility of the Android Build process, merged some of the fixes and integrated LineageOS 17.1 support. New builds are on their way, both LineageOS 16 and 17.1 based.

Best
    Simon
    Hey guys. You are right with your findings. We were testing yesterday LineageOS 15.1. But we rolled it back. Now we have almost everything ready for Lineage 15.1 - In fact there is one minor change outstanding before we're going to release. After release we'll start building the complete LineageOS weekly build roster again.
    Current device list which will be built tomorrow:
    Code:
    a6020,angler,armani,athene,bacon,bullhead,cancro,capricorn,cheeseburger,clark,condor,crackling,d855,
    deb,dragon,falcon,flo,flounder,gemini,h815,h850,hammerhead,harpia,herolte,here2lte,hlte,i9100,
    i9300,jfltexx,kenzo,klte,libra,lux,m8,mako,mido,oneplus2,oneplus3,onyx,osprey,otus,paella,pme,
    serranoltexx,shamu,thea,titan,victara,wt88047,yuga,Z00L
    today i got my weekly(?) update with november security patches via ota notification.
    thanks for that!

Yes they are rolling out new builds again :) Thank you everyone who is contributing to this :good:

Oops. They only build Oreo right now.

We have decided to build every device weekly (like before), as we don't have the capacity to build for ~75 devices daily and nightlies are quite useless to the end users. We will build for all the ~200 devices, ~30 devices per day, from top to bottom of the usual hudson devices list (which means that 15.1 builds will appear in the first part of the week and 14.1 in the second one).

As usual, new devices will be automatically added to the build list, no need to ask for them, just wait some days.