General LineageOS ROM discontinued. again. Future development discussions

Search This thread

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
So I really don't know what's going on and what's happening behind the stage.
Obviously alonsoj636 decided to discontinue and abandon his greatly admired LineageOS builds from the past months.
I haven't found any notes or statements as to why he finally has decided to do so and I was not able to reach him on xda because he blocked PMs. If you read this, maybe you want to be so kind and give us some hints what's happened!

Anyway...
we, as the RM10 LineageOS community, have to face reality and that means: currently there is no LineageOS rom build and maintained by anybody. That either means sticking with old versions, changing ROMs/GSI or switching the phone completely.
While alonsoj636's versions are still working very well, they eventually become outdated sometime.

This thread should be used to coordinate discussions about future LineageOS development (if there is enough interest and people).

ChristianWS

Sep 6, 2016
Moto G
Redmi Note 10
Alright, so the cat is out of the bag on this one:

While I'm really happy that Alonso kept maintaining the ROM for a while, the reality is that he wasn't interested to go official anytime soon and kept being vague about it.

As for me, I'm building up the courage to do MPK99 recommendation and go with GSI. Apparently GSI works like old ROMs, and it doesn't nuke TWRP, so that seems nice.

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
You have 3 options.
  • Wait for another builder to pick it up
  • Build it yourself
  • Run Lineage GSI from AndyYan (guide here)
One more thing. Building a ROM for a device is never considered a development. What you're referring to, is maintenance. Lineage's development will never stop.
I'm pretty aware of that, however all new ROMs are tagged as development on this xda forum so I used this wording.

I think all 3 mentioned options are valid.
I could build it myself, however the time is the problem. Finding someone else building lineage in the future seems to be difficult. The past showed there aren't as many people interested and even less have the time and skill to build it.
GSI sounds like a wonder bag to me. while it's great to always have the latest updates, it might lack of the features LineageOS had for years. (i think of things like os-level online permission per app (wifi/cell), permission center, etc.). you can workaround that with 3rd party tools maybe, but it's cumbersome again.
Also GSi still sounds like a bit of an unpolished OS for this specific phone, with some kind of bugs and lack of features (compared to LOS). it's everybodys own decision to put priority on either that or on latest updates, though.
I might as well give it a try sometime, but I'll need enough spare time for experiments, so it won't happen soon.

my hopes are low, but maybe someone will step up and also build new LOS roms in the future.

however all new ROMs are tagged as development on this xda forum
They're all namesake
it might lack of the features LineageOS had for years
Lineage is lineage whether it's a gsi or a cusrom
still sounds like a bit of an unpolished OS
Those are false claims. You need to use it before committing on it.
I'll need enough spare time for experiments, so it won't happen soon
There's nothing to experiment, as user's experiments are logged on my thread. You can follow them. I'm myself a gsi user for an year long btw. As for the time, it'll take not more than 10 minutes. And I've laid out post configuration & fixes on the thread which'll be another 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
well what I meaned with unpolished is what I've red in your thread about bugs like -don't touch screen while booting- etc. I haven't installed it so I solely say that by reading these posts.
and experimenting is synonymous with taking time to clean flash and reinstall everything again while learning and fixing problems with new OS/roms/GSIs.

I'll have a look sometime and I'm grateful there is progress.

Atleast I was transparent about the bugs on it.
bugs like -don't touch screen while booting
Not touching the screen 'while booting' is an easy fix & you won't often reboot your device while work in the first place.
learning and fixing problems with new OS/roms/GSIs
Just the procedure would be new. Rest of it would be your same old preferred AOSP derivative (lineage).

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
you did well. nothing to complain.
the more I dip into the topic the more I think it might be worth a try. don't count the time till I can focus on it, it'll take a while. but it sounds more and more promissing and the overall experience might as well get even better with time.

regardless of the GSI option, let's still have this thread and discussion opened for the case of some future LineageOS-CustomROM progress.

alonsoj636

Aug 30, 2020
Santiago , Chile
Redmi Note 10
I'm very sorry for my abrupt decision to kill Lineage.

some personal and family problems made me think that I couldn't continue with this (nothing too big, don't worry... typical family fights)

after some messages I decided to get back to the action.

I will upload a new build with improvements once I unlock my bootloader (not very soon) as my RN10 is my only source of internet and I can't use the Mi Unlock Tool.

Thread will remain locked until the new build is done.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for my bad steps ....

Regards :)

• Wow
Reactions: NeoSDAP and Zirila

Zirila

Jul 31, 2015
Thanks for the informational update :)
no worry, we are all human. as software engineer and project maintainer in troubled times it's often better to just keep calm, step back for a while, let the projects delay or freeze, that won't really hurt anyone. and then check back later to make a judgement if the project(s) really have to end.

It wasn't that bad for us either, in the meanwhile some of us learned a bit more of the GSI option which might also be a viable way to run LOS in the future. But everything has up- and downsides.

I'm glad we get to see a few more updates for the LOS custom rom. :)

Reactions: alonsoj636

alonsoj636

Aug 30, 2020
Santiago , Chile
Redmi Note 10
lineage is alive again :)

new update is up ... waiting for shadowstep to open the thread again

Changelog
* Switch to SkiaGL Threaded
* Optimize package manager dexopt properties
* Kernel upstreamed to v4.14.295
* Kernel built with Clang 15.0.2
* Enable config_avoidGfxAccel
* wifi: Disable TDLS offchannel
* Disable few debug services
* Don't enable iostats

these are only for LineageOS 19.1
No changes for 18.1

Reactions: Hami_Do

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have 3 options.
    • Wait for another builder to pick it up
    • Build it yourself
    • Run Lineage GSI from AndyYan (guide here)
    One more thing. Building a ROM for a device is never considered a development. What you're referring to, is maintenance. Lineage's development will never stop.
    I'm very sorry for my abrupt decision to kill Lineage.

some personal and family problems made me think that I couldn't continue with this (nothing too big, don't worry... typical family fights)

after some messages I decided to get back to the action.

I will upload a new build with improvements once I unlock my bootloader (not very soon) as my RN10 is my only source of internet and I can't use the Mi Unlock Tool.

Thread will remain locked until the new build is done.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for my bad steps ....

Regards :)
    Thanks for the informational update :)
    no worry, we are all human. as software engineer and project maintainer in troubled times it's often better to just keep calm, step back for a while, let the projects delay or freeze, that won't really hurt anyone. and then check back later to make a judgement if the project(s) really have to end.

It wasn't that bad for us either, in the meanwhile some of us learned a bit more of the GSI option which might also be a viable way to run LOS in the future. But everything has up- and downsides.

I'm glad we get to see a few more updates for the LOS custom rom. :)
    lineage is alive again :)

new update is up ... waiting for shadowstep to open the thread again

Changelog
    * Switch to SkiaGL Threaded
    * Optimize package manager dexopt properties
    * Kernel upstreamed to v4.14.295
    * Kernel built with Clang 15.0.2
    * Enable config_avoidGfxAccel
    * wifi: Disable TDLS offchannel
    * Disable few debug services
    * Don't enable iostats

these are only for LineageOS 19.1