Linux ISO - Unbrick the Fire HD6/HD7 [Video] [Testers Wanted]

Search This thread

Krunk_Kracker

Sep 13, 2009
Somewhere in Florida
So, I dug out my old 7" Fire HD and it's only booting to the "Amazon" logo, sitting there for a bit, then rebooting back to the "Amazon" logo. I tried to use the Linux distro for this, but it doesn't seem to work for this issue, it never would handshake, I don't think it was having enough time before rebooting again. figured I'd share in case someone else is trying to use this software for a similar issue.

WAUthethird

Apr 6, 2019
Thanks for creating this ISO! I had a few minor issues getting it to boot but finally found a PC it liked (but then I had random black screens-- not related to time-out-- but thankfully the system eventually woke back up so I could see what was going on). I used it to salvage a Fire HD 6 that I was trying to keep root while flashing 5.6.0.1 in TWRP -- I flashed the 5.4.1 bootloader which it did NOT like.

Just as a note for anyone in my position (FireOS 5.6.0.1 installed and bricked), DO NOT flash 5.3.1 and the bootloader in the OP, you'll just re-brick and have to unbrick it again. (trust me, I did it ;) )

What I did when I was successful was ran the unbricker, once in TWRP I was able to flash (in this order): 5.5.2_1534_stock_recovery_uboot.zip, FireOS 5.6.0.1 (update-kindle-20.5.9.5_user_595550320.bin), make_space02, gapps 5.1 pico, then wipe cache and rebooted.

After making sure that worked, I then was able to get back into TWRP and flash xposed-v89-sdk22-arm, which also worked.

I did NOT have to do a factory reset in my case-- since I knew the problem was the bootloader I was assuming my FireOS install would be fine if I could just get it to boot and I was right. YMMV.
How did you get it to execute the reader commands if you were on a firmware version where those commands were disabled by Amazon?

Edit: SEE POST BELOW HOLY CRAP

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

I got my Fire HD 8 (2018) to boot into TWRP thanks to this page: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/120640/My+kindle+won't+turn+on.+Is+it+the+battery
Short the battery contacts.

This.
Took.
Me.
So.
Long.
To.
Figure.
Out.

WHY?

Last edited:

M03

Nov 28, 2016
Beirut
Thank you, worked on my HD6 (No brick, I just misflashed a wrong verison of twrp and i couldn't access recovery but the tablet was working quite fine).
Anyhow, after following the steps you provided I was able to get into recovery and I have downgraded to 4.5.3 and now I'm on Lineage OS 11 with TWRP 3.0.2..

I have a question though.. can I install the latest Fire OS 5.3.6.2 using my current TWRP 3.0.2 without affecting the recovery image? or will this cause a brick?

Edit: so i decided to return back to stock FROM 4.5.3 into the latest Amazon FireOS which is 5.3.6.2 with TWRP 3.0.2 BUT i ended up with a bricked tablet and it is now unusable.
this is where the ./reader.sh started to hang although earlier with my previous attempt it worked just fine. This seems a bootloader issue and the script is simply unable to communicate properly on the tty port although it's being captured aka the handshake of the "bootloader boot up"

So for whomever reading this and wonders if he/she can simply flash the latest FireOS on top of the old bootloader with a TWRP recovery, YOU WILL END UP WITH AN UNUSABLE DEVICE

Last edited:

matteorenzik

May 28, 2020
just a small 'problem'

Testers wanted: Anyone who uses this method, let me know if you can access stock recovery after this method.

Summery
Thanks to the amazing work by our active member @bibikalka, a method was found to unbrick these devices Thread link here. The method he found was slightly tedious for some people, so I've decided to put together a Linux iso that you can boot into on your computer with everything you need to get your device running again. It uses the same methods proposed but makes things easier. This comes with all the necessary drivers, scripts to do everything you need, all the img files needed to flash, a hex editor for advanced users, and more. Before the scripts included in this OS, determining the option (A, B, or C) to take in order to unbrick the device required .part files to be evaluated manually. Now with the custom script, it can quickly evaluate what option to take.

Video Instructions

Brief Instructions
1. Download the Linux iso:
Linux ISO
2. Burn the iso to a USB drive or cd
3. Boot into the operating system
4. Type "root" at the login prompt
5. Right click on the desktop and choose file manager. Go to "aftv2-tools" folder
6. Right click on file manager and press "open in terminal"
7. From device turned off, enter command "./handshake.py", then plug in device. You may need to do this a couple times to get a connection. Try pressing volume keys & power etc to get it connected. See video if you have problems
8. After handshake is complete, run "./reader.sh"
9. After all addresses are read in, run "./determineOption.sh". You should get back a result of A, B, or C
10. Depending on the option returned (A,B,or C), run "./readerSpecialOptionA.sh", "./readerSpecialOptionB.sh", or "./readerSpecialOptionC.sh". This is an optional step but may be useful if you want to back up part files or their were no options available. Back up part files to a usb drive if you want to be safe.
11. Now the actual unbricking. Run "./unbrickOptionA.sh", "./unbrickOptionB.sh", or "./unbrickOptionA.sh" depending on your option. This can take about 40 minutes
12. hold volume up and run "./complete.sh" at the same time to get into TWRP
13. boot into your default operating system on your computer
BE VERY CAREFUL FROM NOW ON
13. We will be installing Fire OS 5.3.1. If you are not installing this ROM, make sure you know what you are doing. Download the ROM:
update-kindle-20.5.5.2_user_552153420.bin
14. Download 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip: 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip. Without this you could turn your device into a paperweight. This installs stock recovery and a uboot version that MUST be installed. This file was taken from the thread here: how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps
15. Rename the ROM extension from .bin to .zip
16. Transfer the two files to the Fire
17. Do a factory reset. Flash the ROM and uboot&recovery file
18. Reboot! Your device should now be working. It will take about 15 mins to boot up.

Big thanks to @bibikalka for helping work everything out and for the initial unbrick method.

I tried to flash the arch-custom distro with rufus on my usb, I'm able to see it from the boot menu but when I choose it as first option it dosen't work and windows, which is the second boot option, start...
why???:confused:

CursedDog19

Jul 3, 2020
Fire HD 7 brick no options...

I achived connection to the device but the options script told me that I have no options. :crying: Here is a google drive folder with all of the part files:

<><><>https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DkZo2l1VIjdidXz-TRisX2GuSp9IjtjD?usp=sharing<><><>

Last edited:

Shadowwolf218

Jun 7, 2009
Motorola Atrix 4G
AT&T LG G3
Welp, this is a super long shot.
Got a Kindle Fire HD 8 from a friend (5th gen, KFMEWI I want to say...not 100% certain) that was bricked awhile ago.
Specifically, it's stuck in the black screen and loads/unloads the MT65xx preloader when plugged into a PC.
I admit, I really thought I could get it to connect via adb. No dice.

But after searching for the preloader issue, I was able to complete the handshake and reader scripts using this fantastic ISO. That gave me some hope, although I realize this is meant for the HD6/7.
...but the determineOption script gave no results. I suspect that amounts to the differences between the HD6/7/8.
That being said, there was a bit of hex code under "Option B" in the response from that script, where A and C had nothing.

I've got the .part files, but at this point I'm out of my depth.
I was going to try the option B unbrick, since the worst that can happen is it remains bricked...but I thought I might as well reach out and see if anyone has some additional direction.

So, do I have any hope here, or is this thing a paperweight?

.part files attached (with any luck), and also here just in case: gofile. io/ d/ 2bbo46
With spaces removed, of course.

Attachments

• part.tar
    740 KB · Views: 7

reddfoz

Mar 8, 2011
***UPDATE***
After running the scripts again and loading TWRP i was able ADB sideload the latest version from Amazon and at least get the tablet working again.
Thank you I now have a working Fire HD 7 again.

I followed all the steps as outlined by powerpoint45 and his amazing Linux Disto and Youtube Video

I could get into TWRP and see the device on my Windows 10 PC but after re-boot got stuck on a black screen always. I knew the device was not dead as I could here life on the USB port. After running through the whole setup several times and always getting to TWRP I read carderel's post and decided to side load instead of using install in TWRP both the stock recovery in this post and the latest Kindle Update 20.6.0.5_user_605487420 which I downloaded direct from Amazon and then reboot the tablet, fist a blank screen then it auto rebooted again and amazingly the Amazon Logo appeared and then after a short wait Fire it came back to life. (At this point I was not bothered about totally bricking the device it has been in a draw for a year and using the Fire interface. I was just happy to see it working again and my nephew can get some use out of it watching Peppa Pig :) ) Thank you for all the great post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Testers wanted: Anyone who uses this method, let me know if you can access stock recovery after this method.

Summery

Thanks to the amazing work by our active member @bibikalka, a method was found to unbrick these devices Thread link here. The method he found was slightly tedious for some people, so I've decided to put together a Linux iso that you can boot into on your computer with everything you need to get your device running again. It uses the same methods proposed but makes things easier. This comes with all the necessary drivers, scripts to do everything you need, all the img files needed to flash, a hex editor for advanced users, and more. Before the scripts included in this OS, determining the option (A, B, or C) to take in order to unbrick the device required .part files to be evaluated manually. Now with the custom script, it can quickly evaluate what option to take.

Video Instructions

Brief Instructions
    1. Download the Linux iso:
    Linux ISO
    2. Burn the iso to a USB drive or cd
    3. Boot into the operating system
    4. Type "root" at the login prompt
    5. Right click on the desktop and choose file manager. Go to "aftv2-tools" folder
    6. Right click on file manager and press "open in terminal"
    7. From device turned off, enter command "./handshake.py", then plug in device. You may need to do this a couple times to get a connection. Try pressing volume keys & power etc to get it connected. See video if you have problems
    8. After handshake is complete, run "./reader.sh"
    9. After all addresses are read in, run "./determineOption.sh". You should get back a result of A, B, or C
    10. Depending on the option returned (A,B,or C), run "./readerSpecialOptionA.sh", "./readerSpecialOptionB.sh", or "./readerSpecialOptionC.sh". This is an optional step but may be useful if you want to back up part files or their were no options available. Back up part files to a usb drive if you want to be safe.
    11. Now the actual unbricking. Run "./unbrickOptionA.sh", "./unbrickOptionB.sh", or "./unbrickOptionA.sh" depending on your option. This can take about 40 minutes
    12. hold volume up and run "./complete.sh" at the same time to get into TWRP
    13. boot into your default operating system on your computer
    BE VERY CAREFUL FROM NOW ON
    13. We will be installing Fire OS 5.3.1. If you are not installing this ROM, make sure you know what you are doing. Download the ROM:
    update-kindle-20.5.5.2_user_552153420.bin
    14. Download 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip: 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip. Without this you could turn your device into a paperweight. This installs stock recovery and a uboot version that MUST be installed. This file was taken from the thread here: how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps
    15. Rename the ROM extension from .bin to .zip
    16. Transfer the two files to the Fire
    17. Do a factory reset. Flash the ROM and uboot&recovery file
    18. Reboot! Your device should now be working. It will take about 15 mins to boot up.

Big thanks to @bibikalka for helping work everything out and for the initial unbrick method.

Edit 10/13/21: Fixed Google Drive Link
    well, after seriously struggling with the parent thread mentioned in the OP I've managed to get to TWRP & am just waiting for my win10 machine to install it's updates before attempting to adb push the uboot & zip files for installation back to fireOS.

feels great to see the screen displaying something other than the looping amazon logo after months of frustration. I do not have the words to express my gratitude for @powerpoint45 for an excellent & well thought through tool and walkthrough. special mention also goes out to @bibikalka
    Linux ISO Changelog
    Updated 10/5/16:
    *Optomized scripts
    *Added "complete.sh" This reboots the device

Updated 9/27/16:
    *Added script to auto-detect which unbrick option to use (determineOption.sh)
    *Added scripts to write img files to correct addresses ( unbrickOptionA.sh, unbrickOptionB.sh, and unbrickOptionC.sh)
    *Added scripts to read in and label part files (readerSpecialOptionA.sh, readerSpecialOptionB.sh, and readerSpecialOptionC.sh)
    *Nemo open in terminal fixed
    *.part files set to open with ghex by default

Updated 9/24/16:
    *Nemo as default file manager
    *Updated html page with instructions from forum
    well, after seriously struggling with the parent thread mentioned in the OP I've managed to get to TWRP & am just waiting for my win10 machine to install it's updates before attempting to adb push the uboot & zip files for installation back to fireOS.

feels great to see the screen displaying something other than the looping amazon logo after months of frustration. I do not have the words to express my gratitude for @powerpoint45 for an excellent & well thought through tool and walkthrough. special mention also goes out to @bibikalka
    great to hear! I hope everything works for you! After you get everything done, can you check if you can get into recovery.
    after flashing both zips & rebooting I've now got my working fire (OS 5.3.1.0) back. thank you Mr PowerPoint!

i be tried rebooting to recovery & it now takes me to the stock amazon recovery not TWRP..... which is unfortunate.

I did get asked if I wanted to install SuperUser which was a no-brainer YES. although I'm staying offline until I identify a functional (fast) flavour of android to flash. suggestions welcome.
    Good to hear everything is working. Ya TWRP does not work with 5.x bootloader. Good to hear you can get into stock recovery because I had some incidents where I could not get into it. Thanks for responding. The only custom ROM ATM is CM13.