• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Linux Mint 18.3 for Lenovo Yoga Book YB1-X91F - ISO & Request for Help

Search This thread

Jeff

Sep 17, 2003
Brussels, Belgium
RN, I use the systemd to fix keyboard resume and very soon I will working on sound driver totally ported from android kernel. Plus I can get the haptic feedback to (partially) works only random left or right motor via using udev rule. Extra, the recent kernel added support for the front facing camera (ov2740).
Outstanding! I am thinking about then taking the dive back to debian on this machine.... we'll need to 'keep in touch' - Great to hear about the front camera support too!

jekhor

Feb 28, 2018
Hi. I returned for some time :)
I trying to get sound working for now but still without success. Driver looks as working but there is no sound in speakers :( I can dump my WiP state of kernel if anybody interested. I am looking for mixer controls dump from the Android kernel (if this is possible). So, if somebody can run 'amixer contents' command (and maybe 'amixer -c1 contents') and save its output, this can help me.

Last edited:

thipok17

Mar 9, 2014
Trang
tinlethax.wordpress.com
I trying to get sound working for now but still without success. Driver looks as working but there is no sound in speakers :( I can dump my WiP state of kernel if anybody interested. I am looking for mixer controls dump from the Android kernel (if this is possible). So, if somebody can run 'amixer contents' command (and maybe 'amixer -c1 contents') and save its output, this can help me.

Glad you come back, on my github, I have the UCM file for yoga book,. But with your 5.1.16 kernel (from your repo) It still not working. Here's the ucm https://github.com/TiNredmc/YogaBookUCM

ETTT

Oct 26, 2012
Hi, I want to put here also my efforts to make the yoga-book work on linux (I have a YB1-X91L).
So I have Devuan (debian fork) running on my book.

I had 5.4 compiled with the paches from https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux
But the bluetooth was not working.

I have now 5.7 with the above patches with wifi and bluetooth working (on the bluetooth you have to get the firmware, otherwise it will get a new mac address every time you start so all your pairing will be gone on shutdown).

In 5.7 I have lost the haptic feedback at the keyboard. (in 5.4 was working, need to look into that).

I have made an application that queries the accelerometers (they are working in 5.7 and also the light sensor) and rotates the screen, the touchscreen and the wacom tablet. It also enables or disables the halo keyboard when in laptop mode or tablet mode (the angle between the screen and the keyboard is < 180 degree or not).
You can get it and compile it on https://github.com/BigET/ying-bend

I have made a script that I had binded to the power button that switches between halo keyboard and the wacom tablet. Unfortunately I have not found the input for the pen button above the halo keyboard.
You can get it on https://github.com/BigET/HaloKeyboardSwitcher

What I know it is not working now is: vibrators, sound and web cameras.
What I don't know if are working or not: sdcard and lte.

Maybe it will help someone else.

Reactions: thipok17

thipok17

Mar 9, 2014
Trang
tinlethax.wordpress.com
Hi, I want to put here also my efforts to make the yoga-book work on linux (I have a YB1-X91L).
So I have Devuan (debian fork) running on my book.

I had 5.4 compiled with the paches from https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux
But the bluetooth was not working.

I have now 5.7 with the above patches with wifi and bluetooth working (on the bluetooth you have to get the firmware, otherwise it will get a new mac address every time you start so all your pairing will be gone on shutdown).

In 5.7 I have lost the haptic feedback at the keyboard. (in 5.4 was working, need to look into that).

I have made an application that queries the accelerometers (they are working in 5.7 and also the light sensor) and rotates the screen, the touchscreen and the wacom tablet. It also enables or disables the halo keyboard when in laptop mode or tablet mode (the angle between the screen and the keyboard is < 180 degree or not).
You can get it and compile it on https://github.com/BigET/ying-bend

I have made a script that I had binded to the power button that switches between halo keyboard and the wacom tablet. Unfortunately I have not found the input for the pen button above the halo keyboard.
You can get it on https://github.com/BigET/HaloKeyboardSwitcher

What I know it is not working now is: vibrators, sound and web cameras.
What I don't know if are working or not: sdcard and lte.

Maybe it will help someone else.
Glad to see you make the >180 degree detection works,
The haptics might require the special udev rules to symlink the eventnumber to /dev/left_vibrator or /dev/right_vibrator . I've made the partially working udev rules. If the special udev rules doesn't work, trying to rollback the driver sourcecode version.
To use the pen Icon, I believe that this feature depend on the goodix touch driver source code. I suspect that it might report the special data packet, Since I replace my keyboard a long time ago. I can't confirm that the Attiny microcontroller on the Flex PCB under the keyboard is involving with the pen Icon (probably the touch sensing of mcu ?) or depend only the goodix touchscreen only. I might desolder it from my old touch keyboard and goes for some reverse engineering the firmware.

Last edited:

ETTT

Oct 26, 2012
How to make firefox work properly with touchscreen.

Maybe is a problem specific to Devuan (Debian).

But in case you just get a normal pointer from the touchscreen. Meaning that you cannot scroll the page in firefox if you swipe up/down.

It is actually not a problem with the driver (x11 or evdev).

You have to enable xinput2 client handler in firefox.

More info https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks#Enable_touchscreen_gestures

For me it was sufficient to add the MOZ_USE_XINPUT2 environment variable.

cheers.

thipok17

Mar 9, 2014
Trang
tinlethax.wordpress.com
Maybe is a problem specific to Devuan (Debian).

But in case you just get a normal pointer from the touchscreen. Meaning that you cannot scroll the page in firefox if you swipe up/down.

It is actually not a problem with the driver (x11 or evdev).

You have to enable xinput2 client handler in firefox.

More info https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks#Enable_touchscreen_gestures

For me it was sufficient to add the MOZ_USE_XINPUT2 environment variable.

cheers.
What about Chrome ? I can't move the tab or chrome windows with touchscreen input, only the mouse cursor works. Any idea ?

ETTT

Oct 26, 2012
What about Chrome ? I can't move the tab or chrome windows with touchscreen input, only the mouse cursor works. Any idea ?

I will not touch chrome with a 10 foot pole. :)
But there might be 2 issues here.

1. xinput 2 enable client: take a look here, it might already be done: https://codereview.chromium.org/688253002/
  2. there is a problem in some scenarios when you give some commands with the touchscreen and the window dies before releasing the touch grab, this prevents the clicks in the other windows, I have found a workaround, drag the title bar of a window, this will reset the grab or something.

Besides that I have no idea.

Reactions: thipok17

ETTT

Oct 26, 2012
Put It in a branch on the repo on github

I will have some time next weekend, can you put the wip somewhere, maybe in a a branch on https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux-kernel and tell me about it, thanks.

Juapalso

Nov 6, 2020
Hello, I would like to know what progress you have until today, thank you very much for the work you have done, I am going to acquire a lenovo Yoga Book with windows and I would like to install linux to do computer courses.

jekhor

Feb 28, 2018
Hi. I updated repository with kernel with sound working at YB1-X91* and ucm2 configs needed to configure it. Microphones are not tested yet, speakers and headphones works.
See yogabook-linux-kernel submodule and ucm2 folder (files from this folder should be installed over upstream /usr/share/alsa/ucm2 configs).
https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux

Juapalso

Nov 6, 2020
I'm going to ask a very beginner's question, but I've never done it. First you would have to install debian with the livecd from your repository and then update the kernel with all the code that you indicate in your comment @jekhor. I'm sorry if my questions are very new, but even more people are useful. Again great work you have done.

thipok17

Mar 9, 2014
Trang
tinlethax.wordpress.com
I'm going to ask a very beginner's question, but I've never done it. First you would have to install debian with the livecd from your repository and then update the kernel with all the code that you indicate in your comment @jekhor. I'm sorry if my questions are very new, but even more people are useful. Again great work you have done.

You need to install the linux on your YB, you can go get some fast micro SD card and install on that too like I did. First get into bios and disable secure boot (If you're running windows, enable bit locker and keep the recovery key at somewhere else that you can access when bitlocker bug locked your PC)then you need the usb hub, usb mouse + keyboard, flash drive with livecd image (Flash drive is using less power compare to USB hard drive or DVD rom). Enter the setup and after all setup done. you can boot into linux. Note that GRUB2 boot menu won't support touchscreen. The debian will move itself to 1st boot priority. you can modify that once you booted linux and use efibootmgr command (don't forget sudo).

about the sound support. you need to "compile" Linux kernel. There's a guide on internet for how to do that, recommend finding some powerful computer running linux for compiling this, Last time I use my YB to compile the kernel. I let it run overnight and It ate up 12 GB after compilation done so be careful when you running of Micro SD card.

In fact, I've made install tutorial video during pandemic quarantine time. but since after I done it, My school semester start. I might get back and edit all the video and share for all of you soon.

Plus, this might be useful for you. some fixes and secure boot setup guide Here

thipok17

Mar 9, 2014
Trang
tinlethax.wordpress.com
Hi. The LiveCD with sound :)
https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux/releases/tag/livecd-5.10-rc3-1

And the small instruction to get installed Ubuntu 20.10 working (how to install kernel and keyboard/sound support files): https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux/wiki

Hi, you have noted the auto-rotation bug. It's belong to Gnome shell bugs, and about the keyboard. I've done some simple systemd script workaround for that too. Plus the haptic motor need to do something with driver to 1. Create separate device with some kind of unique device identifier (e.g. DRV2604-1 DRV2604-2) 2. Fix the device shutdown mode, It's broken and prevent device from sleeping.

hal2020

Nov 7, 2020
Feedback & request for help

Hi jekhor,

first of all- THANK YOU very much for putting all the effort in to make linux available for the Yoga Book! This is really appreciated!!!

I followed your instructions as posted above. Here is what happened:

1. First try:
Installed Xubuntu 20.10 (no updates during installation) WITH ZFS. Installed libbase, updated the kernel (with your image as per instruction), copied rootfs. System breaks: ZFS commands not availabe. Hence system not usable.

2. Second try:
Standard partitioning WITH encryption. Rest the same as above. System not usable because keyboard not available when asked for encryption password.

3. Third try:
Standard partitiong. Rest the same as above. Halo keyboard lights up is NOT sensitive for key presses AND the touch screen behaves weird. I then updated Xubuntu as per normal. Now the touch screen works OK, BUT the halo keyboard is still not usable- it lights up but - again - is not sensitive for key presses. So no typing input possible.

Is there anything I can do- like installing another .deb or patching something?

Thank you very much for any idea, input or help!

jekhor

Feb 28, 2018
Hi jekhor,

first of all- THANK YOU very much for putting all the effort in to make linux available for the Yoga Book! This is really appreciated!!!

1. First try:
Installed Xubuntu 20.10 (no updates during installation) WITH ZFS. Installed libbase, updated the kernel (with your image as per instruction), copied rootfs. System breaks: ZFS commands not availabe. Hence system not usable.

2. Second try:
Standard partitioning WITH encryption. Rest the same as above. System not usable because keyboard not available when asked for encryption password.

3. Third try:
Standard partitiong. Rest the same as above. Halo keyboard lights up is NOT sensitive for key presses AND the touch screen behaves weird. I then updated Xubuntu as per normal. Now the touch screen works OK, BUT the halo keyboard is still not usable- it lights up but - again - is not sensitive for key presses. So no typing input possible.

Hi!
Thanks for feedback. The kernel is modified Debian's kernel and it may not work in some cases (I think that using of ZFS is such case).
For keyboard support at early stages of boot you need to add touch-keyboard-handler (binary and configs) and goodix kernel module to initramfs image. I don't have ready instruction for this now.
For third case – could you please check the output of command 'journalctl -u touch-keyboard-handler' (using external keyboard or ssh) and show it here?

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Hi, you have noted the auto-rotation bug. It's belong to Gnome shell bugs, and about the keyboard. I've done some simple systemd script workaround for that too. Plus the haptic motor need to do something with driver to 1. Create separate device with some kind of unique device identifier (e.g. DRV2604-1 DRV2604-2) 2. Fix the device shutdown mode, It's broken and prevent device from sleeping.
Good point about haptic driiver. I started to port it but has broke one motor controller during of experiments :( So I temporary paused this effort. But my tablet can sleep without problems anyway.

hal2020

Nov 7, 2020
Hi jekhor,

1. First try:

2. Second try:

3. Third try:

Hi jekhor,
thx for your help. Here's the output:
-- Logs begin at Sat 2020-11-21 22:37:26 CET, end at Sun 2020-11-29 20:17:01 CET. --
Nov 21 22:49:10 x91f systemd[1]: Starting Touch keyboard handler...
Nov 21 22:49:10 x91f systemd[1]: Started Touch keyboard handler.
Nov 21 22:49:10 x91f systemd[609]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed to execute command: Permission denied
Nov 21 22:49:10 x91f systemd[609]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/touch_keyboard_handler: Permission denied
Nov 21 22:49:10 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Nov 21 22:49:10 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Reboot --
Nov 21 23:11:56 x91f systemd[1]: Starting Touch keyboard handler...
Nov 21 23:11:56 x91f systemd[1]: Started Touch keyboard handler.
Nov 21 23:11:56 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Nov 21 23:11:56 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Reboot --
Nov 23 20:42:26 x91f systemd[1]: Starting Touch keyboard handler...
Nov 23 20:42:26 x91f systemd[1]: Started Touch keyboard handler.
Nov 23 20:42:26 x91f systemd[610]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed to execute command: Permission denied
Nov 23 20:42:26 x91f systemd[610]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/touch_keyboard_handler: Permission denied
Nov 23 20:42:26 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Nov 23 20:42:26 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Reboot --
Nov 29 20:13:07 x91f systemd[1]: Starting Touch keyboard handler...
Nov 29 20:13:07 x91f systemd[1]: Started Touch keyboard handler.
Nov 29 20:13:07 x91f systemd[634]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed to execute command: Permission denied
Nov 29 20:13:07 x91f systemd[634]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/touch_keyboard_handler: Permission denied
Nov 29 20:13:07 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Nov 29 20:13:07 x91f systemd[1]: touch-keyboard-handler.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I am the author of the repository mentioned above, https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux. My linux porting efforts were focused at kernel, getting battery charger driver and halo keyboard working basically. So, this kernel supports the battery gauge, battery charger (with fast charging mode, yes!). For halo keyboard patch for the goodix touchscreen (touchpad really) kernel was needed, see the https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux-kernel/commit/bd3a5953126fd87e4218550c5a31baafcdc60a38 commit. There is userspace keyboard driver in the Chromium OS which converts touchpad events into keypresses. Forked version suitable for build at GNU\Linux system is here: https://github.com/jekhor/chromiumos_touch_keyboard .

Some patches were accepted to the mainline Linux already:
    0e116237aa42 extcon-intel-cht-wc: Make charger detection co-existing with OTG host mode (v5.1)
    ff6cdfd71495 ACPI / x86: Make PWM2 device always present at Lenovo Yoga Book (v5.1)
    236c765d6abc mfd: intel_soc_pmic_chtwc: Register LED child device (v5.2)
    a72a1be0de71 extcon: intel-cht-wc: Enable external charger (v5.2)

Feel free to ask me about this work and to create github issues. This is my spare time project, so I will glad to see other developers connected.
    yep i have a YB1-X91F ;)
    ok nice, than i will wait for the next release

i found out 2 things that did not work (or not correctly or i'm to stupid xD)
    - sound (but i allready see the post in issues ;) )
    - the gui and if i tried video it looks like there is no graphic driver installed (dont know how to specify this, but if i just move a window it looks like software rendering, ok my english should be better to explain this but i hope you know what i mean ^^)
    if i found something more i will give you feedback
    but for now, its rly nice work
    thank you so much for this project :)

[/CODE]
    I have uploaded fixed iso (halo keyboard should work): https://github.com/jekhor/yogabook-linux/releases/tag/livecd-test3.1

Yes, no sound, no force-feedback for keypresses.
    Don't know about video driver and acceleration, need to check.
    Now the keyboard/pen switching is done by bind/unbind the i2c device.

I have added a special application that will do just that.

you can play with it at:
    https://github.com/BigET/ying-bend

is the ltSwitch app.

It does have problems that the keyboard sometimes will not light up when entering laptop mode, but it will be active, use the pen switching button to make the light comeup.

have fun.
    Help Needed - Battery Gauge/Charger

The issue

The following can be seen by running 'dmesg' after boot using the ISO in my first post, which uses a 4.18 kernel customised for the hardware in the Yoga Book.

The kernel attempts to load the driver for the TI bq24190 battery charger IC. I'm not yet able to post links so search for 'bq24190_charger.c' in the Linux kernel Github repo. The driver throws an error on boot when it hits this code at line 1640. It's expecting a 6 and it gets a 4, the value of BQ24190_REG_VPRS_PN_24190.

bq24190_charger.c
    Code:
    	if (v != BQ24190_REG_VPRS_PN_24190 &&
    	    v != BQ24190_REG_VPRS_PN_24192I) {
    		dev_err(bdi->dev, "Error unknown model: 0x%02x\n", v);
    		return -ENODEV;
    	}

If I remove this check altogether and re-compile the module then the driver proceeds to load but reports zeroes for all status values. It's not clear whether it is, in fact, the right chip and isn't talking to the rest of the hardware or it's simply the wrong driver.

However, at least removing this check allows the Whiskey Cove ACPI IC driver to get a bit further along. Search for 'intel_cht_int33fe.c' in the kernel source. Comments in this file (line 124) confirm that this IC is expected to be paired with a bq24190.

By adding in dmesg warnings and re-compiling the int33fe module I could see that when an unmodified bq24190 driver is used, i.e. the check above takes place and is failed, the int33fe driver fails its own check at line 138:

intel_cht_int33fe.c
    Code:
    regulator = regulator_get_optional(dev, "cht_wc_usb_typec_vbus");
    	if (IS_ERR(regulator)) {
    		ret = PTR_ERR(regulator);
    		return (ret == -ENODEV) ? -EPROBE_DEFER : ret;
    	}
    	regulator_put(regulator);

When I remove the check, it fails at the next check starting at line 145:

Code:
    	/* The FUSB302 uses the irq at index 1 and is the only irq user */
    	fusb302_irq = acpi_dev_gpio_irq_get(ACPI_COMPANION(dev), 1);
    	if (fusb302_irq < 0) {
    		if (fusb302_irq != -EPROBE_DEFER)
    			dev_err(dev, "Error getting FUSB302 irq\n");
    		return fusb302_irq;
    	}

I have tried various combinations of including the FUSB driver and dependencies as modules/built in but the result is the same. I also tried moving the FUSB check to after the code which tries to link up with the max17047 battery gauge IC, but this fails also.

Some owners of the Android version of the Yoga Book have posted files/screenshots on Telegram which indicate that a different charger, the bq25892 is used. As far as I know i2c devices are simply identified by the fact that they occupy a certain address on the bus. You can see in the datasheet for the bq24190 (sorry, no links!) on page 3 that it uses i2c address 6BH. The datasheet for the bq25890/2 shows on page 5 that the bq25892 also uses 6BH.

I don't know enough about i2c to know whether this is the issue, or how to point Linux to a different driver in the way that you might using a VID:pID for a USB or PCI device? It would be really helpful if anybody could definitively confirm which chip we are dealing with.

Some final ACPI errors crop up towards the end of the dmesg output (I've cleared all the others) and I suspect that sorting this will clear them, as well as making the Yoga Book with Mint usable in Tablet mode.

Other things which need fixing:

- There are sound errors in the dmesg output but it also shows that the drivers and codec are loading properly. I can see all the devices which should be visible in amixer from the command line. Because getting the config wrong can blow speakers I've resisted tackling this until I've done further research but if anyone has a solution please let me know.
    - Halo Keyboard. This needs either a kernel module to be written or a software layer which runs at least under X. I don't expect this to be hugely difficult - Linux can see the Halo as a wacom graphics pad and take input, albeit not deal with it properly yet. There's also a mystery, generic HID device which by process of elimination must be the button/backlight. However, the generic HID driver loads so it shouldn't be too hard to work out how to talk to it.
    - I re-built the ISO using Cubic. When I have tried to make ISOs which use my custom kernel to boot the ISO itself, they don't work. I get garbled graphics and the boot stalls. This is why the touchscreen doesn't work when you live boot (which uses 4.10) but does when you install (because it uses 4.18). This ought not to be insurmountable but I haven't cracked it yet. I've tried doing it manually and using the Debian live-boot commands for both Debian/Ubuntu. Still no luck.
    - Until I can get a custom ISO to boot from a custom kernel it won't be possible to install on the SD Card. Otherwise, there's no reason this shouldn't be possible.
    - It should be possible to install to another USB device now, but I haven't tried yet. Make sure to use the disable MMC script on the desktop if you don't want to install Grub EFI on the eMMC. Ubuntu and derivatives ignore whatever you choose for this and just use the fist EFI partition they find. Amazingly this bug has been there since 2014!
    - It ought to be possible to map the hardware buttons (volume, power) to specific keys in Grub, possibly using a locale. This would allow selections to be made without a keyboard.
    android install

This might be related as I was just installing windows on Android version and now reverted back (https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77556606&postcount=44), couple of observations that might help you: On android reinstall back it required to activate halo keyboard to get it working again, there was a phone code entered into the search bar to get it activated which triggered something called easyimage app. In android stock image you can actually find easyimage.zip which I guess is this "fake android update" to install the halo keyboard. Inside the zip are *.so libraries and some files related to halo keyboard and ink pen so you could try to play with those to get it working under classic Linux.

DNX mode allows to boot EFI via a USB cable &*fastboot (I guess windows version have also this as I activated it somewhere in BIOS?) so this can be also alternative version of booting an OS. IMHO Grub can also chainload iso image directly (I did it in past on normal PC, it was a couple of years ago so I can't find the guide to do it now) so in theory you can just place the Linux ISO image as a normal iso file on disk and tell GRUB to chainload that directly. Since it's possible to revert the Windows installation back to Android it might even be possible to dualboot. Android bootloader is also EFI based (kernelflinger) so you could also play with that. TWRP recovery image have full touch support for screen so that might be also a help when digging for configuration or extracting it from the sources.