[Linux] Net-Install Ubuntu (V0.7)

Search This thread

NoDiskNoFun

Feb 27, 2011
okay i found the mistake in nvidias driver package ... the second section of xorg.conf provided by nvidia let the driver FC ... i need some time more to fix that ... sorry but i need 3 hours for every change uploaded to dropbox --> thanks to Telekom Germany for the ultra-lightspeedlike-fast internet of 20kbit/s upspeed -.-

tanguita

Aug 2, 2010
It has gotten a little bit confusing since most of the info about installing ubuntu is a bit outdated and I can't figure out what do I have to do to get ubuntu installed. If somebody could help me out I would appreciate it. What I would like is to dual boot ubuntu (the one from this thread) along side teamEOS Jellybean build, but keeping the custom recovery (to update eos and what not). Is what I want at all possible? How can I do it?

NoDiskNoFun

Feb 27, 2011
It has gotten a little bit confusing since most of the info about installing ubuntu is a bit outdated and I can't figure out what do I have to do to get ubuntu installed. If somebody could help me out I would appreciate it. What I would like is to dual boot ubuntu (the one from this thread) along side teamEOS Jellybean build, but keeping the custom recovery (to update eos and what not). Is what I want at all possible? How can I do it?

no multithreading --> http://xdaforums.com/wiki/ASUS_Eee_Pad_Transformer/How_to_install_Ubuntu#Installing_Ubuntu

it up-to-date

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
Isn't possible, as far as i can tell, stay with ubuntu and custom recovery. But using OLiFE you can easily flash custom recovery, update and everythink else.

A problem should appear when you want to use Custom Recovery. You can easily flash the recovery in the menu update>advanced>flash custom recovery.

In normal cases, when you want to comeback to ubuntu as second boot, you should only select update>advanced>linux kernel and it should be fine. But this image flash Jhinta Kernel, and doing what i told you'll be flashing the original kernel of OLiFE image.

This can be solved if NoDiskNoFun post the Jhinta z-image and initrd for we rename and replace for 2636-zimage and initrd2.6.36.img files

Last edited:

NoDiskNoFun

Feb 27, 2011
Isn't possible, as far as i can tell, stay with ubuntu and custom recovery. But using OLiFE you can easily flash custom recovery, update and everythink else.

A problem should appear when you want to use Custom Recovery. You can easily flash the recovery in the menu update>advanced>flash custom recovery.

In normal cases, when you want to comeback to ubuntu as second boot, you should only select update>advanced>linux kernel and it should be fine. But this image flash Jhinta Kernel, and doing what i told you'll be flashing the original kernel of OLiFE image.

This can be solved if NoDiskNoFun post the Jhinta z-image and initrd for we rename and replace for 2636-zimage and initrd2.6.36.img files

make an thread in Q&A and iĺl help you with flashing ... with problems with my net-install ask here ...

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
Downloading V0.3

This time will do ?? I'm anxious to get this going.

Kubuntu and KDM are the best choices ??

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
None of the options work. :(

After all my choices, add a new user, local time, and etc, it doesn't make any download.

Maybe it's something related to the script itself.

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
Still the same issue on V0.3 :( Finish the script and reboot but end up at terminal. I noticed the part that does the download after choosing the 5 options finished in about 10 seconds. Im attempting to install gnome with sudo apt-get install gnome ill update on how it does.

diogo.sena

Apr 7, 2011
known bugs

How much stable? Can someone please list the little things that aren't working ?

I'm particularly interested in HDMI output.

@ NoDiskNoFun , If you could update the first post with this type of info, will be great.

NoDiskNoFun

Feb 27, 2011
hdmi output needs jhinta kernel, doesn't matter which ubuntu version you use ...

@jointherealms
wich settings have you used?

wifi trackpad and every other stuff will setup by script ... when you use apt-get the script does nothing ...

when you finishd installation login in for example gnome and start "sudo wpagui" for edit network config

Last edited:

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
hdmi output needs jhinta kernel, doesn't matter which ubuntu version you use ...

@jointherealms
wich settings have you used?

wifi trackpad and every other stuff will setup by script ... when you use apt-get the script does nothing ...

when you finishd installation login in for example gnome and start "sudo wpagui" for eo it network config

I installed gnome with an open wifi (only way i could get it to work) but after a reboot and logged into gnome wifi just wont work. Tried sudo wpagui but get command not found, tried coping the wifi files from android as jhinta's thread says but no hope. Will retry the install and try get wpa working

NoDiskNoFun

Feb 27, 2011
I installed gnome with an open wifi (only way i could get it to work) but after a reboot and logged into gnome wifi just wont work. Tried sudo wpagui but get command not found, tried coping the wifi files from android as jhinta's thread says but no hope. Will retry the install and try get wpa working

and which display manager? installed tegra driver? zram? mouse-driver?

sorry "sudo wpa_gui" should work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heyho,

i've made an ArmHF Ubuntu rootfs with an Net-Install (like Debians Net-Installer) script. So you can choose your:
    - Desktop Environment
    - Display Manager
    - It's able to install Jhinta kernel
    - It's able to install Mouse-Driver
    - It's able to install Tegra-Drivers (v15)
    - Resize itself
    - Set up WiFi
    - Set up Bluetooth
    - Set up Sound
    - Install TouchEgg (Multitouch Support)
    - and the whole thing is only about ~500mb (Download file is ~200mb and saved in .tar.gz)
    - since V0.6 its about 1GB (Downloadfile is about 250MB and saved in .tar.bz2)

its stable and works with every TF101 but i want to add more options so please if you got an idea, tell me.

Some Informations about:

- It works with every TF101 version
    - G version should work like it works in lilstevies ubuntu version
    - SBKv2 can use Wheelie and NVFlash or flash it on Android data partition like lilstevies ubuntu version
    - You DON'T need ubuntu it is ubuntu but it isn't anything installed like the ubuntu desktop, only base system
    - The script installs everything and set it up and you can choose your favorite desktop environment
    - Its made for newbies who dont know how they could do this.
    - If you use the img on internal storage you need to resize it manually.: See how to.
    - For Multitouch read instructions from here (V0.5 and above)
    - If you have choose lightdm press on ubuntu-icon in lightdm and choose your Desktop Envoronment or you'll stuck on "can't find ubuntu session"

V0.1:
    - Initial Release

V0.2:
    - TF101G support
    - KDE bugfix
    - make it faster and smaller
    - add Gnome as installation canidate
    - Tegra Driver isn't fixed, wait till tomorrow

V0.3:
    - add WPA_GUI to modify networks after installation
    - add return to change settings when installations fails
    - fixed Tegra Driver
    - add unsecured network-config for wpa_supplicant
    - add sound setup

V0.4:
    - small bugfix in kernel install
    - small bugfix for sound
    - small bugfix for sudo

V0.5
    - small bugfix in kernel install (now it should work)
    - add touchegg for multitouch gestures
    - add the option to compile kernel from sources
    - add kernel install from Github
    - add kernel install on first or second boot
    - add xterm
    - add ADB install for people who havn't got a dock (Check How-To)

V0.6
    - Add OpenBox, Onscreen-Keyboard
    - Add Autologin
    - A trillion-bugfixes
    - Including WiFi now works (if can't connect try to reboot)
    - Including now really really trust me it really work kernel flashing (not tested xD)
    - Ready for NO-DOCK =)

V0.7
    - Add Autologin (not working yet)
    - Bluetooth is working now
    - Kernel flashing now working (tested on another devices)
    - Now it shows only kernel related options (Jhinta or lilstevie)
    - Now you need to type "setup" and hit Return after boot process
    - Updated Tegra driver install (using .deb)

Downloads:

Image for flashing:

XdaFileServer.nl

older images on Dropbox

The script itself (only for Developers) are also in DroBox folder

Code:
    How-to:
    Extract File (for V0.6 rename it to net-install.tar.gz)
    ( Windows: Use [URL="http://winrar.de"]WinRar[/URL] / Linux: Use tar xfvz net-installer.img.tar.gz )
    Flash it with OLiFE or Frank's Tool or internal Ubuntu way (you need to overwrite your exsiting Linux)
    With V0.6 you only have to boot it and you're finished.
    Since V0.7 you need to type "setup" and hit Return
    Login with root / temppwd
    type setup and enter
    after first reboot login
    type setup and enter

ADB is Out of Order =D
    Code:
    How-To (ADB):

[B](It don't work correctly at the moment (need testers)
    [/B]
    Extract File
    ( Windows: Use [URL="http://winrar.de"]WinRar[/URL] / Linux: Use tar xfvz net-installer.img.tar.gz )
    Flash it with OLiFE or Frank's Tool or internal Ubuntu way (you need to overwrite your exsiting Linux)
    With V0.6 you only have to boot it and you're finished.
    Flash lilstevie kernel (it won't work with Jhinta's)
    run "adb shell"
    run "step1adb.sh"
    exit adb
    run "adb-install.sh" for Linux | "adb-install.bat" for Windows
    make changes for WiFi in opend file, save and close
    TF101 will reboot

If you have to wait for connection at boot for more than 60sec something went wrong
            - reboot and try again to connect (i recommend this first)
            - rerun adb-install script for modify connection

run "adb shell"
    run "step2adb.sh"
    exit adb

How to resize img:
    You need Linux!
    Run that commands in a terminal
    Code:
    qemu-img create Linux.img (X)G (X = siye in Gigabyte)
    fdisk Linux.img (close it with CTRL + C)
    mkfs.ext4 LInux.img
    mkdir Net-install
    mkdir Linux
    sudo mount net-installer.img Net-install
    sudo mount Linux.img
    sudo cp -a -f -v ./Net-Install/* ./Linux/
    Use Linux.img from now on
    You can remove all made directorys and net-installer.img
    Thanks for the info, I'll give tubuntu a try.

v07 is up!
    I would be very appreciative if someone would be willing to make a good YouTube tutorial on how to install this on a rooted tf101 in dual boot configuration for us noobs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

okay!
    And here you go guys/girls.

https://mega.co.nz/#!gphSzTBT!iEghKo16JRNkMGIzKVl3QU469gvMTrrCs1QmKoMtS8I

That should work for a while :)

Mega got a 10GB transfer limit, but i can also make a torrent of it that's not a problem.
    There are two ways:
    1. Renane it to Ubuntu.img and copy it into olife/images
    2. Use Franks Tool and use this File

I'll make an how to when i'm at Home...

And it works with every tf101 ... Sbkv2 needs wheelie ...
    G Version needs Modem Tool but i dont know which ...