• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Linux on A500: The Future

Search This thread

Skrilax_CZ

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 20, 2009
Try downgrading the drivers/video/tegra to those in 2.6.39.4 kernel from Acer.

randomblame

Recognized Developer
May 18, 2009
been trying to do that but it's not working out. I just tried adding the picasso bits to raymans tf101 3.1.10 kernel which was already downgraded to 2.6.39 video drivers and I've got a zimage to test * nope now I have no video and no usb hrm well maybe I can coax the grouper blobs into working

Last edited:

guimendes

Nov 2, 2011
Campinas
I'm some days away from my linux computer, so can someone please post a compilled version of the kernel and a rootfs? Thanks in advice. I want to play with this...

guimendes

Nov 2, 2011
Campinas
Ok, I was able to build my own rootfs and I'm running sp3dev's kernel, but I'm unable to connect to wifi. I can make a scan into networks, but cannot connect. I tried this methods: http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse, except from Network Manager. I'm running wheezy with xfce4, builded following rogro82's tutorial. I tried, also, this armhf build: http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.nl/2012/12/bodhi-linux-armhf-rootfs.html. I was also unable to set wifi. Can anyone help me, please? If I need to build rogro82's kernel, how can I set it to boot from my sdcard? I don't want to use internal storage for linux.

90amper

Jan 10, 2012
Samara
Can anyone enable audio through internal speakers?

guimendes, if you install broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer b43-fwcutter without errors and extract /lib/firmware/brcm - wifi must working. Only one problem with that was when i login through SLiM - NetworkManager refused to work, but with lightdm all working properly.

P.S. i build rootfs too with 12.04 and when lightdm appears on the screen, it begins to restart repeatedly, preventing login, i had to quickly get into the guest session and install SLiM. Is anyone else get that?

guimendes

Nov 2, 2011
Campinas
Can anyone enable audio through internal speakers?

guimendes, if you install broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer b43-fwcutter without errors and extract /lib/firmware/brcm - wifi must working. Only one problem with that was when i login through SLiM - NetworkManager refused to work, but with lightdm all working properly.

P.S. i build rootfs too with 12.04 and when lightdm appears on the screen, it begins to restart repeatedly, preventing login, i had to quickly get into the guest session and install SLiM. Is anyone else get that?

@90amper I've installed correctly the drivers. I can scan network, and it proves that wifi is working. I just cannot login into my network. Any ideas?

sda.171

Aug 28, 2010
Jeddah- J City ;)
can u upload your rootfs if possible? Will definately give it a try- With android getting outdated on this tab- Linux (fedora,Ubuntu,etc) is the only way out :p

guimendes

Nov 2, 2011
Campinas
@sda.171 I'll upload as soon as possible. This may take some days. My debian is running on sp3dev's kernel, which is already compiled, so I don't know if it'll work with rogro82's one.

Kevin Roscom

Jul 15, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Not sure if it applies here exactly, but is there any way to run the newly released Ubuntu Tablet UI on top of an Ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04 rootFS? If so, the Iconia will be the first non-nexus tablet to run Ubuntu Tablet. It's an excellent UI and is the type of "real" Linux we've been looking for. I'm not exactly sure if the UI was written for the Tegra 3 specifically, and I'm not even sure if, since it is a new platform, should have its own thread. Thoughts?

And the nexus install instructions are here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install?action=show&redirect=TouchInstallProcess

Again, I'm not 100% sure but I do feel like they can be run on a custom rootFS. Correct me if I'm wrong...

guimendes

Nov 2, 2011
Campinas
Not sure if it applies here exactly, but is there any way to run the newly released Ubuntu Tablet UI on top of an Ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04 rootFS? If so, the Iconia will be the first non-nexus tablet to run Ubuntu Tablet. It's an excellent UI and is the type of "real" Linux we've been looking for. I'm not exactly sure if the UI was written for the Tegra 3 specifically, and I'm not even sure if, since it is a new platform, should have its own thread. Thoughts?

And the nexus install instructions are here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install?action=show&redirect=TouchInstallProcess

Again, I'm not 100% sure but I do feel like they can be run on a custom rootFS. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I think we need to test it before creating a new thread, since official requirements are 2GB ram. I wanna try this too, but first we have to find out how to get a rootfs.

EDIT: I got the link: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/quantal/mwc-demo/

Last edited:

armada786

Feb 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm up for monkeying around with this. I guess the first test is to see if an existing image (probably Nexus 10) would flash with the current directions. I'm excited to know if we'd have this option. Unfortunately, I don't understand much of what's going on this thread. Any information I found seems a bit dated (before the unlocked bootloader) so I haven't been able to do anything myself.

guimendes

Nov 2, 2011
Campinas
@armada786
Are you saying something about a new kernel? Because there's rogro82's one and sp3dev's one. I've made a tutorial for installing bodhi with sp3dev's one (link some posts above). I think we can start using that kernel and that method. If it fails, then we'll need something new.

armada786

Feb 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
@armada786
Are you saying something about a new kernel? Because there's rogro82's one and sp3dev's one. I've made a tutorial for installing bodhi with sp3dev's one (link some posts above). I think we can start using that kernel and that method. If it fails, then we'll need something new.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Also, Canonical is releasing a porting guide for Ubuntu Touch tomorrow so that could serve as Plan B.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We have had native Linux on our Iconias for quite a while now but the builds and kernels are getting outdated, Unity is here and there is no real direction as to what needs to be accomplished.

This thread has been started principally for two kinds of people:
    1. Kernel and Linux developers whom can offer advice or indeed actual code
    2. Iconia enthusiasts for suggestions / ideas as well as any logic they may have
    This thread does not aim to make Linux on our Iconias poof out of nowhere. It requires a huge amount of work to get going although with proper information exchange it should be much easier to get the project going.

The current ToDo list is as follows (feel free to post me more):
    • RootFS on /data/linux
    • Kernel initrd which will chroot to /data/linux
    • Linux Kernel will boot off mmcblk0p7
    • Upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 (although RootStock is now deprecated, we can just download a pre-built bundle for the arm-eabi FS, use live-build or get a pre-made RootFS. There's lots of options for this)
    • Build the kernel from scratch (this is kind of obvious anyway). Building for armhf sounds like a good idea
    • Full graphics acceleration from the Tegra 2 for Unity
    • Perhaps a build of Backtrack (this shouldn't be too difficult - they offer an image for arm. If it can share the kernel then we should be okay)
    • A501 3G Modem
    • USB Huawei Modems (although initial Googling seems to imply the compatibility of usbserial.ko and hence OOTB compatibility so long as a udev rule is added)
    • Camera, sensors and non-patchy wifi (issue on 2.6.38 although the nvidia drivers below should fix this)
    • Latest Linux kernel (ie 3.1.x)

We have plenty of resources at our disposal such as:

I've looked inside the Linux for Tegra package and a HUGE amount is in there including x configurations, hardware drivers, Broadcom wifi firmware and the list goes on.......
    There's also a codec package so we can have native video acceleration in loads of formats.

The bootloader will, at least initially, probably be the default Acer one. We could utilise kexecboot in the future as noted above

What we need:
    • A system for organising the code. CI & trac?
    • Perhaps a wiki.... or at least somewhere to organise ideas and reversed data
    • Either role assignment or a huge number of 'issues' with the code on a system such as trac and anybody can fix any issue

What works without kernel hacking:
    • Sound: The Wolfson WM8903 sound chip has driver provided by Wolfson which have been integrated directly into the official Linux kernel source (source: http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/content/linux-drivers-wolfson-devices)
    • Wi-Fi (almost) - the broadcom drivers are available with a simple apt-get. They are also available through Linux for Tegra
    • Graphics Acceleration (Hardware) - the drivers and codecs come from Linux for Tegra
    • armhf - Support for the hard float capabilities is built right into the Tegra2 and both Ubuntu and Linux for Tegra provide this support alongside the (seemingly legacy!) armel
    • The RootFS can now be built with qemu-debootstrap
    Please let me know if I forgot anything else (which I undoubtedly did!)
    First, we have 3.0.0 kernel by sp3dev (having issues), I'll take look on that one. Eventhough kernels 3.0.y and 3.2.y (not 3.1.10 - that's EOL!) are good enough.

Secondly, kernel does not chroot, a script in initrd image does chroot (this isn't any magic). As in the previous question about cmdline, it's just say "dynamic configuration" for the kernel (as where to find rootfs etc.). In the linux kernel, it's hardcoded right now (needs to be undefined).

First, it's better to get points 1) - 3) working for now.

There is a strong focus on the preliminary uboot bootloader, however. I'm not sure if this would replace the Acer bootloader or be chainloaded? Ideally we just want a boot img on mmcblk0p7. Can somebody confirm this for me? :)

No that's not possible. U-boot will be standalone bootloader (i.e if u-boot, then no Acer BL). Right now, my patch in Acer BL gives us a "sub-bootloader" (don't want to call it second-stage bootloader, because it always returns back to Acer BL, eventhough we submit the image as a byte array (and not a partition)).
    I think its a good idea to start from 3.1.10 that's on nv git and has linux variant too...
    I think its a good idea to start from 3.1.10 that's on nv git and has linux variant too...

I think its a good idea someone cares to share his android kernel source. I tried to rebase my cros patches on top of nvidia android branch and most stuff seems to boot, but fb is not working.

I think I'll make a new version of uboot that will be able to boot custom kernel from a file/script in data partition and stock kernel from recovery partition. I have made a good port of uboot to sgs2 and now I know how to handle boot mode detection via gpio. Sadly I'm not using my iconia at all lately.

P.S. Everything works on 2.6.38 except camera and sensors. Wifi is unstable. What else could anyone probably want
    Add to todo. 3G modem for A501