[Linux on Dex] Void Linux and others... run different systems in LOD

Search This thread

@[email protected]

Jul 4, 2012

Do you want to keep LoD alive ? Sign this petition

I have built these images to find a better replacement for Samsung's Ubuntu image which has many bugs due to compatibility issues.

Void Linux
375px-Void_Linux_logo.svg.png

Void is a general purpose operating system, based on the monolithic Linux® kernel. Its package system allows you to quickly install, update and remove software; software is provided in binary packages or can be built directly from sources with the help of the XBPS source packages collection.

It is available for the Intel x86®, ARM® and MIPS® processor architectures; Software packages can be built natively or cross compiling through the XBPS source packages collection.

Void Linux is an interesting alternative to Ubuntu and other Linux distros.
It has Xfce4 installed and works smoothly in my Note9.
Faster in starting up than Samsung's Ubuntu image and less memory usage!!!!
j6wWdvA.jpg

Wiki:
https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Main_Page

Forums:
https://reddit.com/r/voidlinux

Packages Repo:
https://github.com/void-linux

Zip File
MD5: 5DF7F1D204CAAF787E6380544A9E76A0
SHA-1: 97C767FD195F915E45BDCEA8870F82E6CE986765

Image File
MD5: F35C28F5F8CB33C1C4881B42921157EA
SHA-1: B4ADB33D105FDC2443C16867B124F866B0758E65

User: void
password: secret

DOWNLOAD

Devuan Linux
450px-Devuan-Jessie-Screenshot.png

Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd that offers users control over their system by avoiding unnecessary entanglements and ensuring Init Freedom. Devuan’s stable release is now 2.0.0 ASCII.

The image was built using Devuan’s stable release 2.0.0 and has more than 50K packages for aarch64. It has Xfce4 installed and runs fast in my Note9 without issues.

Zip File
MD5: E332CE238A295E991F60BBB2DCAEF5A7
SHA-1: C706122C7E25C9C2ED21C5738CF1996E6C7EF2B8

Image File
MD5: 32FB1F0B297F3E5AB07CD1FAC3FC6E81
SHA-1: 86B3EA0262BA8C2C455DF32346EDACF5436B39BC

User: devuan

DOWNLOAD

openSUSE Tumbleweed
Button-filled-colour.png

The Tumbleweed distribution is a pure rolling release version of openSUSE containing the latest stable versions of all software instead of relying on rigid periodic release cycles. The project does this for users that want the newest stable software.

Thanks to openSUSE Build Service, building any package should be so easy beside downloading thousands of pre-built packages. Xfce4 is installed with some tools.

Updated (10/22)

Image File
MD5: DE827017321ADB67DD1AA769FB4A4510
SHA-1: D14A05730CB8BEC309C353950D875EB3D5EC9FA7

User: opensuse

DOWNLOAD

Ubuntu 19
ubuntu-19-04-released-600x400.png

Latest stable version of Ubuntu to get the latest updates.

Updated 10/22

Image File
MD5: 841AC5C260462A853359A4FFB7E78972
SHA-1: 3185CC8A188C3B17D7984CF13B2B3DA22BDFCE63

User: ubuntu

@gilvbp fixed a problem related to security on some devices
Fix's Post

DOWNLOAD

Screenshots: Link

Others

How to build your own

1-Download the zip file and extract the image file
Link

2-Mount the image
Code:
sudo mount -o loop,sync build_your_own.img /home/your_user/your_directory
You should see 1 file and 4 directories
/dev /devro LoDVersion /share /tmp
Note:You must keep these and never overwrite them

3-Copy your Linux’s system files and directories (rootfs) with all symbolic links to the mounted image
Note: you must maintain files’ ownership and permissions

4-Create the directory if it does not exist
Code:
/etc/init.d/

6-Create a script shell file init_container.sh inside the directory /etc/init.d/
Code:
#! /bin/sh
setsid /bin/bash --login >/devro/tty1 2>&1 < /devro/tty1

7-Change the directories, files and symbolic links ownership to
Code:
chown -R 1638400000:1638400000

8-Move the file LoDVersion to /etc/ directory

9- Un-mount the image file

10- Copy it to your device.

11-Add it in LoD and run the terminal mode

Congratulations !!! you built your own system’s image.

Last edited:

lky745

Apr 1, 2005
Not working for Dex on Tab S4. LoD app complained an Invalid image when import the img file.

Feb 21, 2017
Awesome!!! I'm going to try it on my tab s4 :D

Edit: I can't conect to internet in Void and Devuan give me an error when I try to run it. The error says "LoD container error. Cannot run this LoD container. Close the Linux on Dex app and try again."

Last edited:

Adakenko

Oct 4, 2019

Edit: I can't conect to internet in Void and Devuan give me an error when I try to run it. The error says "LoD container error. Cannot run this LoD container. Close the Linux on Dex app and try again."

I get the same error when trying to run Devuan on my S5e/Note 9. If I try in terminal mode, it flashes this screen and then immediately closes.
WaSf8zT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: @[email protected]

@[email protected]

Jul 4, 2012
I get the same error when trying to run Devuan on my S5e/Note 9. If I try in terminal mode, it flashes this screen and then immediately closes.

Yeah, Devuan wont work because of sudo and your devices' kernel .

I have updated the image and it should work now.

BTW can you run Void Linux and post the output of the following commands :

Code:
sudo ping -c 5 google.com

Code:
sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
sudo cat /etc/group

Code:
sudo cat /etc/passwd

Adakenko

Oct 4, 2019
Yeah, Devuan wont work because of sudo and your devices' kernel .

I have updated the image and it should work now.

BTW can you run Void Linux and post the output of the following commands :

Code:
sudo ping -c 5 google.com

Code:
sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
sudo cat /etc/group

Code:
sudo cat /etc/passwd

Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo ping -c 5 "google.com"                                                                                                                                                   
Password:                                                                                                                                                                                         
PING google.com (172.217.1.174) 56(84) bytes of data.                                                                                                                                             
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=18.1 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=90.1 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=21.7 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=20.9 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=21.3 ms                                                                                                           

--- google.com ping statistics ---                                                                                                                                                                
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms                                                                                                                                    
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.144/34.414/90.075/27.858 ms

Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf                                                                                                                                                     
nameserver 8.8.4.4                                                                                                                                                                                
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo cat /etc/group                                                                                                                                                           
root:x:0:                                                                                                                                                                                         
bin:x:1:                                                                                                                                                                                          
sys:x:2:                                                                                                                                                                                          
kmem:x:3:                                                                                                                                                                                         
wheel:x:4:void                                                                                                                                                                                    
tty:x:5:                                                                                                                                                                                          
tape:x:6:                                                                                                                                                                                         
daemon:x:7:                                                                                                                                                                                       
floppy:x:8:                                                                                                                                                                                       
disk:x:9:                                                                                                                                                                                         
lp:x:10:                                                                                                                                                                                          
dialout:x:11:                                                                                                                                                                                     
audio:x:12:void,pulse                                                                                                                                                                             
video:x:13:void                                                                                                                                                                                   
utmp:x:14:                                                                                                                                                                                        
adm:x:15:                                                                                                                                                                                         
cdrom:x:16:void                                                                                                                                                                                   
optical:x:17:                                                                                                                                                                                     
mail:x:18:                                                                                                                                                                                        
storage:x:19:                                                                                                                                                                                     
scanner:x:20:                                                                                                                                                                                     
network:x:21:                                                                                                                                                                                     
kvm:x:24:                                                                                                                                                                                         
input:x:25:void                                                                                                                                                                                   
nogroup:x:99:                                                                                                                                                                                     
users:x:100:void                                                                                                                                                                                  
xbuilder:x:101:                                                                                                                                                                                   
_uuidd:x:999:                                                                                                                                                                                     
inet:x:53003:root,void                                                                                                                                                                            
polkitd:x:998:                                                                                                                                                                                    
dbus:x:22:                                                                                                                                                                                        
void:x:1000:                                                                                                                                                                                      
rtkit:x:997:                                                                                                                                                                                      
pulse-access:x:996:                                                                                                                                                                               
pulse:x:995:

Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo cat /etc/passwd                                                                                                                                                          
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh                                                                                                                                                                     
nobody:x:65534:65534:Unprivileged User:/dev/null:/bin/false                                                                                                                                       
_uuidd:x:999:999:_uuidd unprivileged user:/var/empty:/sbin/nologin                                                                                                                                
polkitd:x:998:998:polkitd unprivileged user:/var/empty:/sbin/nologin                                                                                                                              
dbus:x:22:22:dbus unprivileged user:/var/empty:/sbin/nologin                                                                                                                                      
void:x:1000:1000::/home/void:/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                            
rtkit:x:997:997:rtkit unprivileged user:/proc:/sbin/nologin                                                                                                                                       
pulse:x:996:995:pulse unprivileged user:/var/empty:/sbin/nologin

Done using Void Linux terminal mode on my Note 9. Also worth noting that Devuan works now, on both of my devices.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

Forgot to share this image. There's an error when I start Void Linux, but it doesn't seem to interfere with anything.
oA2KW21.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MSandMan

@[email protected]

Jul 4, 2012
Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo ping -c 5 "google.com"                                                                                                                                                   
Password:                                                                                                                                                                                         
PING google.com (172.217.1.174) 56(84) bytes of data.                                                                                                                                             
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=18.1 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=90.1 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=21.7 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=20.9 ms                                                                                                           
64 bytes from yyz10s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.1.174): icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=21.3 ms                                                                                                           

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms                                                                                                                                    
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.144/34.414/90.075/27.858 ms

It looks like the internet is working on your device.
Ping will not work if you do not have an internet connection.

can you run it again without sudo
Code:
ping -c 5 "google.com"

Forgot to share this image. There's an error when I start Void Linux, but it doesn't seem to interfere with anything.
oA2KW21.jpg

This is a permission issue related to policykit daemon.

You can ignore it because it cannot be solved so easily in all LoD's images including Samsung's Ubuntu image.
Solving it wont make a big difference. All should work.

Last edited:

basurapr

Jan 2, 2011
Can you share how you are generating the Linux on Dex images? I would like to make an ArchLinux image. I tested the voidlinux image (currently writing this message from it) and works really well, much more better than running on VNC since graphics work much better and mouse/keyboard input, I did have to install some font packages because xfce-terminal and firefox looked horrible. The issue I have with voidlinux is the limited repository, for example, I want to install PHP to do some development but it isn't available for the aarch64 port.

Reactions: pierro78

Adakenko

Oct 4, 2019
It looks like the internet is working on your device.
Ping will not work if you do not have an internet connection.

can you run it again without sudo
Code:
ping -c 5 "google.com"

This is a permission issue related to policykit daemon.

You can ignore it because it cannot be solved so easily in all LoD's images including Samsung's Ubuntu image.
Solving it wont make a big difference. All should work.

Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ ping -c 5 "google.com"                                                                                                                           
PING google.com (172.217.164.206) 56(84) bytes of data.                                                                                                              
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=21.6 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=27.6 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=28.0 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=25.7 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=26.3 ms                                                                            

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4007ms                                                                                                       
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 21.592/25.823/27.993/2.283 ms

@[email protected]

Jul 4, 2012
Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ ping -c 5 "google.com"                                                                                                                           
PING google.com (172.217.164.206) 56(84) bytes of data.                                                                                                              
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=21.6 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=27.6 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=28.0 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=25.7 ms                                                                            
64 bytes from yyz12s04-in-f14.1e100.net (172.217.164.206): icmp_seq=5 ttl=56 time=26.3 ms                                                                            

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4007ms                                                                                                       
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 21.592/25.823/27.993/2.283 ms

I think internet is working fine on your device ... have you installed a web-browser on Void?

Code:
xbps-install -S  firefox

@[email protected]

Jul 4, 2012
Can you share how you are generating the Linux on Dex images? I would like to make an ArchLinux image. I tested the voidlinux image (currently writing this message from it) and works really well, much more better than running on VNC since graphics work much better and mouse/keyboard input, I did have to install some font packages because xfce-terminal and firefox looked horrible. The issue I have with voidlinux is the limited repository, for example, I want to install PHP to do some development but it isn't available for the aarch64 port.

You can build an image file for any linux distro which supports aarch64 architecture by modifying Samsung's Ubuntu image file.
However, it is difficult to make them work prefectly on your android devices because of the kernel setup and the security issues.
To make it simple
Just download the image, mount it in your Linux PC, remove everything except the device special files and copy the new OS rootfs to the mounted image.

I think we misunderstood each other. I was originally referring to the issue they had with Devuan. :silly:
np

basurapr

Jan 2, 2011
You can build an image file for any linux distro which supports aarch64 architecture by modifying Samsung's Ubuntu image file.
However, it is difficult to make them work prefectly on your android devices because of the kernel setup and the security issues.
To make it simple
Just download the image, mount it in your Linux PC, remove everything except the device special files and copy the new OS rootfs to the mounted image.
np

I wrote a script that downloads and generates the image, also I tried to strip needed components into a "Template" directory, where I placed the lod_daemon, Xtightvnc binaries as the init.d/init_container.sh and vnc.sh. The issue is when I try to add the image on LinuxOnDex app it says invalid image format. I even tried by taking your void image deleting everything and copying the archlinux image content into your img file and when I transfer it into my galaxy s9+ and try to open it on dex app I get the invalid image format again... maybe it is ext3 instead of ext4?

In any case I uploaded the scripts here mega_nz/#!lVEjzazL!cpuxEf_W6m-9GdytwzQMr0OWplXrqxylrHifQdJcOkw, would be nice to make a github repo or something with the required scripts so people can create their own images after everything is sorted out.

Here are the main scripts for easier inspection:

LoDGenerator
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Notes:
# blkid image_name.img to view the image details.
#
# To edit the image arm image on x86_64:
# ================================================================
# This provides the qemu-aarch64-static binary
# yay -S qemu-arm-static
#
# Mount my target filesystem on /mnt
# mount -o loop fs.img loddir
#
# Copy the static ARM binary that provides emulation
# cp $(which qemu-aarch64-static) loddir/usr/bin
# Or, more simply: cp /usr/bin/qemu-aarch64-static loddir/usr/bin
#
# Finally chroot into loddir, then run 'qemu-aarch64-static bash'
# This chroots; runs the emulator; and the emulator runs bash
#
# cp /etc/resolv.conf loddir/etc/
# chroot loddir qemu-arm-static /bin/bash
# ================================================================

if [ ! -e "/usr/bin/arch-chroot" ]; then
    echo "Please install arch-chroot to continue."
    exit
fi

if [ ! -e "/usr/bin/qemu-aarch64-static" ]; then
    echo "Please install qemu-arm-static for qemu-aarch64-static support."
    exit
fi

if [ ! -e "FileSystems" ]; then
    mkdir FileSystems
fi

function make_archlinux {
    distro="ArchLinux"
    url="os_archlinuxarm_org/os/ArchLinuxARM-aarch64-latest.tar.gz" # cant post links yet
    directory=archlinux
    filesystem=ArchLinuxARM-aarch64-latest.tar.gz
    image_name=ArchLinux_LoD.img
    image_size=3076
    setup_file=archlinux_setup.sh

if [ ! -d "${directory}" ]; then
        mkdir $directory
    fi

if [ "$(ls $directory)" != "" ]; then
        echo "Umounting previous image."
        umount $directory/proc 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/sys/firmware/efi/efivars 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/sys 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/dev/pts 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/dev/shm 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/dev 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/run 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/tmp 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory/etc/resolv.conf 2>&1 > /dev/null
        umount $directory 2>&1 > /dev/null
        sleep 3
	fi

echo "Creating ${distro} disk image..."
    if [ -e "${image_name}" ]; then
        rm $image_name
    fi

dd if=/dev/zero of=$image_name bs=1M count=$image_size

mkfs.ext4 -L cloudimg-rootfs \
        -U 455a35d3-488b-4c5e-89b0-883ef8e77f68 \
        $image_name

mount -o loop $image_name $directory

echo "Downloading ${distro}..."
    if [ ! -e "FileSystems/${filesystem}" ]; then
        wget -O "FileSystems/${filesystem}" "${url}"
    fi

echo "Decompressing ${distro}..."
    bsdtar -xpf FileSystems/$filesystem -C $directory

echo "Preparing image for chroot with qemu..."
    cp /usr/bin/qemu-aarch64-static $directory/usr/bin/

echo "Starting distro setup..."
    cp -av Setup/$setup_file $directory/
    arch-chroot $directory qemu-aarch64-static /bin/bash $setup_file

rm $directory/$setup_file

umount $directory/proc 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/sys/firmware/efi/efivars 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/sys 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/dev/pts 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/dev/shm 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/dev 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/run 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/tmp 2>&1 > /dev/null
	umount $directory/etc/resolv.conf 2>&1 > /dev/null

# Wait for proper umount
	sleep 3

echo "Setting dextop user account..."
    echo "dextop:x:1000:1000::/home/dextop:/bin/bash" \
        >> $directory/etc/passwd

echo "dextop:$6$3uD6fDYK$U.wCye7zuGkuyftaiuKbJ35nQiY6eeS0QCbRJSLmGBJBXR9jpif4Yw/fFdrHoI4Y6MT.Dh9dcpqkNNQDj.jcz/:17644:0:99999:7:::" \
        >> $directory/etc/shaddow

echo "dextop:x:1000:" \
        >> $directory/etc/group

echo "dextop:!::" \
        >> $directory/etc/gshadow

echo "Setting directory permissions..."
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/bin
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/boot
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/dev
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/devro
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/etc
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/ext_sd
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/home
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/lib
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/lost+found
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/mnt
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/opt
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/proc
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/root
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/run
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/sbin
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/share
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/srv
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/sys
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/tmp
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/usr
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000 $directory/var

echo "Copying LinuxOnDex dependencies..."
    cp -av Template/usr $directory/
    cp -av Template/devro $directory/
    cp -av Template/share $directory/
    cp -av Template/ext_sd $directory/
    cp -av Template/etc/init.d $directory/etc/
    cp -av Template/home/dextop $directory/home/
    cp -av Template/dev/* $directory/dev/
}

make_archlinux

and here is the script that setups ArchLinux:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# to prevent mmap errors due to qemu and proper mount...
sleep 3

# since network isnt't working with plain resolv.conf we add some hosts
cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.original
echo "50.116.36.110 mirror.archlinuxarm.org" >> /etc/hosts
echo "216.155.157.40 fl.us.mirror.archlinuxarm.org" >> /etc/hosts

cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.original
echo 'Server = fl_us_mirror_archlinuxarm_org/$arch/$repo' \
	> /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

# Init archlinuxarm packages keyring
pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm

# Remove kernel
pacman --noconfirm -Rcs linux-aarch64

# Update the base system
pacman --noconfirm -Suy

# Install additional packages
pacman --noconfirm -S sudo pulseaudio xorg-server xorg-apps \
	ttf-liberation ttf-opensans ttf-hack \
	tigervnc fluxbox

# Clean downloaded packages
pacman --noconfirm -Scc

# Enable sudo on all user accounts
echo "%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL" > /etc/sudoers.d/wheel

# Fix Xtightvnc missing dependency
ln -s /usr/lib/libXfont2.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/libXfont.so.1

# Remove default user
userdel -f -r alarm

exit

Reactions: gilvbp

frankrendon

Jun 6, 2010
get "LoD container error. cannot run this LoD container. close the linux on Dex app and try again.
downloaded, extracted and created lod folder to place .img. did i miss a step? parrot OS would be amazing to run on DeX.

edit** has started working!

Last edited:

basurapr

Jan 2, 2011
After many tears I finally got archlinux working under LinuxOnDex thanks to @root@ for the tip it was really crazy becayse the /etc/ folder couldn't be deleted, it seems removing the LoDVersion file and replacing it again breaks something on the image that makes it look like invalid, anyways... I'm not sure which files on /etc/ make it a valid image yet...

ScreenShot! imgur.com/a/0V0oVHj
QzPYX6l.jpg

The image file was initially like 400mb but in the process of getting it to work I added gcc and many other stuff that made it grow like to almost 2 Gb.

Here is the download link for those that would like to test it:
mega.nz/#!4MVGVCrY!bMwFynLS-4zy7cxT2OzRZS7tn7slvfkTBme0mxzEuQ

Also for anyone interested I uploaded to GitHub some initial shell scripts that I wrote while trying to generate a working image. They need more work to automate the entire process since I discovered lot of stuff while working on this but they serve as a guidance for future work.

github.com/basukon/archlinux-lod

Last edited:

LucianGL30

Nov 30, 2010
After many tears I finally got archlinux working under LinuxOnDex thanks to @root@ for the tip it was really crazy becayse the /etc/ folder couldn't be deleted, it seems removing the LoDVersion file and replacing it again breaks something on the image that makes it look like invalid, anyways... I'm not sure which files on /etc/ make it a valid image yet...

QzPYX6l.jpg

The image file was initially like 400mb but in the process of getting it to work I added gcc and many other stuff that made it grow like to almost 2 Gb.

mega.nz/#!4MVGVCrY!bMwFynLS-4zy7cxT2OzRZS7tn7slvfkTBme0cmxzEuQ

Also for anyone interested I uploaded to GitHub some initial shell scripts that I wrote while trying to generate a working image. They need more work to automate the entire process since I discovered lot of stuff while working on this but they serve as a guidance for future work.

Super awesome mate, great work and thanks for your time. Keep up with more linux OS and it will be nice to see deepin OS too, Donwload page:
https://www.deepin.org/en/download
Super nice looking OS :)

Last edited:

X1ras

Apr 8, 2015
I'm not much of a developer and what I do know is all windows based so I'm completely out of my league here but I was wondering if it would be possible to run Manjaro on Dex?
I understand that changes would need to be made and I'm willing to make those changes myself if someone could point me in the right direction.

According to distrowatch it is aarch64.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do you want to keep LoD alive ? Sign this petition

I have built these images to find a better replacement for Samsung's Ubuntu image which has many bugs due to compatibility issues.

Void Linux
    375px-Void_Linux_logo.svg.png

Void is a general purpose operating system, based on the monolithic Linux® kernel. Its package system allows you to quickly install, update and remove software; software is provided in binary packages or can be built directly from sources with the help of the XBPS source packages collection.

It is available for the Intel x86®, ARM® and MIPS® processor architectures; Software packages can be built natively or cross compiling through the XBPS source packages collection.

Void Linux is an interesting alternative to Ubuntu and other Linux distros.
    It has Xfce4 installed and works smoothly in my Note9.
    Faster in starting up than Samsung's Ubuntu image and less memory usage!!!!
    j6wWdvA.jpg

Wiki:
    https://wiki.voidlinux.org/Main_Page

Forums:
    https://reddit.com/r/voidlinux

Packages Repo:
    https://github.com/void-linux

Zip File
    MD5: 5DF7F1D204CAAF787E6380544A9E76A0
    SHA-1: 97C767FD195F915E45BDCEA8870F82E6CE986765

Image File
    MD5: F35C28F5F8CB33C1C4881B42921157EA
    SHA-1: B4ADB33D105FDC2443C16867B124F866B0758E65

User: void

DOWNLOAD

Devuan Linux
    450px-Devuan-Jessie-Screenshot.png

Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd that offers users control over their system by avoiding unnecessary entanglements and ensuring Init Freedom. Devuan’s stable release is now 2.0.0 ASCII.

The image was built using Devuan’s stable release 2.0.0 and has more than 50K packages for aarch64. It has Xfce4 installed and runs fast in my Note9 without issues.

Zip File
    MD5: E332CE238A295E991F60BBB2DCAEF5A7
    SHA-1: C706122C7E25C9C2ED21C5738CF1996E6C7EF2B8

Image File
    MD5: 32FB1F0B297F3E5AB07CD1FAC3FC6E81
    SHA-1: 86B3EA0262BA8C2C455DF32346EDACF5436B39BC

User: devuan

DOWNLOAD

openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Button-filled-colour.png

The Tumbleweed distribution is a pure rolling release version of openSUSE containing the latest stable versions of all software instead of relying on rigid periodic release cycles. The project does this for users that want the newest stable software.

Thanks to openSUSE Build Service, building any package should be so easy beside downloading thousands of pre-built packages. Xfce4 is installed with some tools.

Updated (10/22)

Image File
    MD5: DE827017321ADB67DD1AA769FB4A4510
    SHA-1: D14A05730CB8BEC309C353950D875EB3D5EC9FA7

User: opensuse

DOWNLOAD

Ubuntu 19
    ubuntu-19-04-released-600x400.png

Latest stable version of Ubuntu to get the latest updates.

Updated 10/22

Image File
    MD5: 841AC5C260462A853359A4FFB7E78972
    SHA-1: 3185CC8A188C3B17D7984CF13B2B3DA22BDFCE63

User: ubuntu

@gilvbp fixed a problem related to security on some devices
    Fix's Post

DOWNLOAD

Screenshots: Link

Others

How to build your own

1-Download the zip file and extract the image file
    Link

2-Mount the image
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop,sync build_your_own.img /home/your_user/your_directory
    You should see 1 file and 4 directories
    /dev /devro LoDVersion /share /tmp
    Note:You must keep these and never overwrite them

3-Copy your Linux’s system files and directories (rootfs) with all symbolic links to the mounted image
    Note: you must maintain files’ ownership and permissions

4-Create the directory if it does not exist
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/

6-Create a script shell file init_container.sh inside the directory /etc/init.d/
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    setsid /bin/bash --login >/devro/tty1 2>&1 < /devro/tty1

7-Change the directories, files and symbolic links ownership to
    Code:
    chown -R 1638400000:1638400000

8-Move the file LoDVersion to /etc/ directory

9- Un-mount the image file

10- Copy it to your device.

11-Add it in LoD and run the terminal mode

Congratulations !!! you built your own system’s image.
    Got the 19.04 working!

I had to fix it
    You can download from here
    Ubuntu 19.04
    https%3A%2F%2Fitsfoss.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F04%2Fubuntu-19-04-released-600x400.png

https://mega.nz/#!08BgGarI!hL4uYBsLM6jJjO1f9ebDLPOns0cbqJUQ8COyOyvu0kU
    @@[email protected]

Hello! I can't run Ubuntu 19 (on Tab S4, not Note 9...).
    In terminal mode LoD wrote:
    sudo: PAM account management error: System error
    sudo: unable to audit system: Permission denited.

other system (such as SUSE and Devuan works perfect.

QzPYX6l.jpg

mega.nz/#!4MVGVCrY!bMwFynLS-4zy7cxT2OzRZS7tn7slvfkTBme0mxzEuQ

Few screens from my note9 running in DeX mode
    Excellent job @@[email protected] :good:

WaSf8zT.jpg