• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Linux on the Acer Iconia Tab A500, 2020 edition

Search This thread

Worldblender

Feb 17, 2015
Moto G Power
Hi there ! I have an iconia a500, rooted with lightspeed 4.8. Can I install this and then make it switch to Khali linux ? My ultimate objective is to get Khali on this tablet. I've worked my way down from ver 2.5x linuxdeploy all the way down to 2.0 lol So I'm thinking maybe if I apply your OS it will update the Kernal from 4.0.3 to 5 yes ? (That's a big jump for linuxdeploy) then I can apt-get khalifull ? Am I off base would this work ? Unless you have an image already of course in which case pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase I'll pay for the bloody thing if I have to I've been pulling my hair out for days. Tried frikkin everything.

Unless anybody has a better method of course in which case feel free to suggest. If I have to make the image from scratch so be it

EDIT: UGhhhhhh after days of troubleshooting, I got to linuxdeploy2.0-1.16 installed kali (the native one on the app not from the repository as that gives kernel too old once you get the install working). Managed to term in and tried to start lxde, failed because lxde doesn't exist (sigh) tried to apt-get... kernel too old. game over sigh :(

Unless someone has a workaround I don't think it's possible to get Khali on a500.
It is possible to get Kali Linux running, if you change the sources.list repositories, and then upgrade all the packages available. Though it may take a considerable amount of time to complete.

Sound is working, I've tested it multiple times.

luganskiy

Feb 25, 2021
Hello, please tell me, is it possible to install your system image not on the sdcard but in the root of the tablet's memory or on a usb flash drive?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2011
Thank you @Worldblender for the wonderful work. My A500 has been gathering dust for a long while and I've been itching to stick Linux on it. As I have TWRP and Omnirom installed on it, I think it should be possible to follow the guides from postmarketos and here without issues, no?

What Linux distro do you recommend with this? I'm thinking xfce might provide decent performance as it's a lightweight DE. Any thoughts?

beny9

Nov 13, 2010
Sorry for not making this clear anywhere, but that custom bootloader, along with flashing the boot image found in the first partition named "pmOS_boot" to either boot or secboot using fastboot, should get you set up to boot the SD card image.
For those with problems installing, I've flashed precompiled image using balenaEtcher into the sdcard.
Then, extracted .xz image, extracted .img, then extracted 0.img and copied boot file from there. After that, renamed the file to boot.img and flashed it with fastboot.
As I've the old modified skrillex bootloader, the command is fastboot flash secboot boot.img.

Hi Guys,
I wanted to bring back to life my old iconia and I failed with the following error message, after booting:
postmarketOS
rootfs not found

What I have done:
1. I image a sdcard with the file ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso.img.xz on linux
Bash:
xzcat ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso1.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdd bs=64k oflag=dsync status=progress
2. Got sdcard with two partitions:
pmOS_boot
pmOS_root
3. fastboot flash a file "boot.img-postmarketos-grate" found on the 1st partition to secboot
4. Insert the newly created sdcard (in step 1) into iconia and reboot it with second image
5. got rootfs not found

What did go wrong?
Any recommendation is highly appreciated - thank you!

Regards
beny

Zarosky

Sep 5, 2016
Buenos Aires
Premade Linux images

I finally have managed to create a premade image to make the installation process easier for other people, especially for those who don't want to go through the hassle of compiling software. Every image I make can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pMqaS5GaM6N9TAKlNGQZWCG8UTiRn4pK?usp=sharing.

For now, there is only one image named 'ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso.img.xz' (size is 1.3 GiB). About this image:
  • Based on 'ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+raspi.img.xz', available from https://ubuntu-mate.org/ports/raspberry-pi/
  • Kernel version: 5.10.0-rc1
  • Includes all compiled kernel modules from postmarketOS builds, plus nonfree firmware enabled.
  • Based on Ubuntu 20.04.1, which is supported for 5 years until April 2025. However, Ubuntu MATE officially has support only until April 2023.
  • Requires at least an 8 GB or greater size microSD card (the image is 5.6 GiB decompressed).
  • The setup screen will open upon the first successful boot, where a username and password have to be set. Prior to that screen, the postmarketOS splash screen will appear, although the underlying OS is actually Ubuntu.
  • Extra packages for the Raspberry Pi family of computers will be preinstalled; they can be safely removed without affecting normal OS operations. Only the bare minimum has been worked on to get the image to work outside of that family.
  • The battery icon in MATE cannot be enabled graphically, as the preferences window has been patched to permanently hide such an option (as the Raspberry Pis lack native battery support); instead run the command
    Code:
    gsettings set org.mate.power-manager icon-policy 'always'
    to manually enable it.
  • Add the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~grate-driver/+archive/ubuntu/ppa to get access to updated video drivers. They currently are enough to get 2D acceleration working, but not for 3D acceleration.
Use any image writing program with this image. If such a program does not support XZ compression, the image needs to be extracted instead, and that has to be used.
I hope this image will proves useful to some people. Let me know if any issue pops up during usage of this image!
Thank you very much for your work. But I have a problem, I can not put username or password, since the usb port does not seem to work, do you have any solution?

Zarosky

Sep 5, 2016
Buenos Aires
Hi Guys,
I wanted to bring back to life my old iconia and I failed with the following error message, after booting:
postmarketOS
rootfs not found

What I have done:
1. I image a sdcard with the file ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso.img.xz on linux
Bash:
xzcat ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso1.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdd bs=64k oflag=dsync status=progress
2. Got sdcard with two partitions:
pmOS_boot
pmOS_root
3. fastboot flash a file "boot.img-postmarketos-grate" found on the 1st partition to secboot
4. Insert the newly created sdcard (in step 1) into iconia and reboot it with second image
5. got rootfs not found

What did go wrong?
Any recommendation is highly appreciated - thank you!

Regards
beny
first you have to flash the kernel from fastboot, the postmarket kernel, for that you have to follow this guide

do not install rootfs, just install the kernel, the rootfs is in the microsd with those two partitions, pmos_boot and pmos_rootfs, after flashing the kernel, when you start it gives you two primary and secondary options, the secondary one is postmarket

Zarosky

Sep 5, 2016
Buenos Aires
Many thanks for your work. I've entered today this forum just curious about something new and found this!
Second life for this old machine!

For those with problems installing, I've flashed precompiled image using balenaEtcher into the sdcard.
Then, extracted .xz image, extracted .img, then extracted 0.img and copied boot file from there. After that, renamed the file to boot.img and flashed it with fastboot.
As I've the old modified skrillex bootloader, the command is fastboot flash secboot boot.img.

It boots and works well for now!
Hello. As you did to put username and password, the usb does not work and it does not have an on-screen keyboard

protektwar

Nov 19, 2011
Crailsheim
Using another distro in place of postmarketOS

Advanced: Using another distro in place of postmarketOS

It is possible, if using the microSD card method, to use a different distro instead of postmarketOS, for those who want more software OOTB. I use the Ubuntu MATE rootfs from https://ubuntu-mate.org/ports/raspberry-pi/ as my daily driver, but other distros may take more effort to get working. Glibc limitations no longer apply, as the kernel version is no longer stuck at 3.1.0 (unlike with my earlier attempts). Carefully follow the instructions listed below, or the resulting system will become unbootable:
  1. Use losetup or GNOME Disks (Utility) to mount the image in read-write mode.
  2. Run GParted with the loop image and the target microSD card as the arguments.
  3. Copy only the larger rootfs partition to the microSD card. Resize as necessary to get it to fit on the target microSD card.
  4. Make sure on the target microSD card the boot partition is named 'pmOS_boot' and the rootfs 'pmOS_root'. The initramfs is hard-coded to search for partitions with these names by default for microSD cards. The loop image is not needed after this point, and can be safely detached.
  5. On the copied rootfs, edit /etc/fstab to reflect the partition layout. To get access to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, copy the kernel modules and firmware from the pmOS rootfs on the host system to the microSD rootfs.
Let me know if something wasn't understood from my instructions, or more clarification is needed. The instructions here can be somewhat overwhelming for those who have less Linux experience, but at least we're not forced to stay on old distro versions anymore.
Step 2. it's not very easy for some of us, but I have managed to start my ubuntu with boot partition from pmOS and root from an orangepi ubuntu installation.

I have some problems: when I run `uname -a` the output will be as follows:
`Linux orangepizero 5.10.0-rc1-next-20201102 #2-Apline SMP PREEMPT ....`
and on my orangepizero I can see:
`Linux orangepizero 5.10.34-sunxi #21.05.1 SMP Thu May 6 20:13:21 UTC 2021 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux`
when I try to load a module it will search in /lib/modules/5.10.0-rc1-next-20201102. I copied the same directory from pmOS_root fs and when I try to load any of these modules I have an error like:
`modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'bluetooth': Exec format error

BogdanBogdanov25

May 24, 2021
Motorola Xoom
Hi,all. First of all, sorry for my English, and thank you for your work! Now i have dualboot and can boot ubuntu mate from 32gb sd. But i have some problems:
1) Wifi connection speed is very low
2)I cant start some installed programs.For example, i cant start vivaldi browser, kodi. Preinstalled in system mozilla also doesnt start. I started only midora browser, but it cant load most of pages. Are all this problem
s because of low RAM? (But syste
m maneger shows about 500mb free RAM)
Is it possible to use acer a500 with ubuntu to surf internet and use Kodi or 1gb ram isnt enough to comfort using ubuntu?

Worldblender

Feb 17, 2015
Moto G Power
Today, I have a new image uploaded for Arch Linux ARM, as an alternative to the Ubuntu MATE image. Details:

Arch Linux ARM (ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest+acer-picasso.img.xz) (size: 598.8 MiB):
  • Based on 'ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz', available from https://archlinuxarm.org/about/downloads
  • Kernel version: 5.14.0-rc1
  • Includes all compiled kernel modules from postmarketOS builds, plus nonfree firmware enabled.
  • Rolling release distro often with the latest versions of most packages. More recent software can be acquired at a small expense of instability.
  • Requires at least an 2 GB or greater size microSD card (the image is 1.9 GiB decompressed). Larger size is recommended for installing more packages.
  • Initially command-line only; contains no desktop environment installed.
  • To login into this system:
    • Login as the default user alarm with the password alarm.
    • The default root password is root.
The Ubuntu MATE image kernel is still on 5.10.0-rc1, as the sound chip not being detected with newer kernel versions has prevented me from completing the upgrade.​

Last edited:

Baonks81

Aug 8, 2020
Today, I have a new image uploaded for Arch Linux ARM, as an alternative to the Ubuntu MATE image. Details:

Arch Linux ARM (ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest+acer-picasso.img.xz) (size: 598.8 MiB):
  • Based on 'ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz', available from https://archlinuxarm.org/about/downloads
  • Rolling release distro often with the latest versions of most packages. More recent software can be acquired at a small expense of instability.
  • Requires at least an 2 GB or greater size microSD card (the image is 1.9 GiB decompressed). Larger size is recommended for installing more packages.
The Ubuntu MATE image kernel is still on 5.10.0-rc1, as the sound chip not being detected with newer kernel versions has prevented me from completing the upgrade.​
The Archlinux armv7 image still not had tty console keyboard/fbkeyboard yet, right!?

Can you install it include to image?

Worldblender

Feb 17, 2015
Moto G Power
The Archlinux armv7 image still not had tty console keyboard/fbkeyboard yet, right!?

Can you install it include to image?
It's just a bare image, the workaround is to use a USB keyboard for the time being. There shouldn't be as much issues since it's a full-size type-A port.
Sadly, I don't know of the packages that provide virtual keyboards for use on TTYs yet, since they are never seen on consumer phones and tablets (too technical for most tech-illiterate people).

Reactions: Baonks81

Baonks81

Aug 8, 2020
It's just a bare image, the workaround is to use a USB keyboard for the time being. There shouldn't be as much issues since it's a full-size type-A port.
Sadly, I don't know of the packages that provide virtual keyboards for use on TTYs yet, since they are never seen on consumer phones and tablets (too technical for most tech-illiterate people).
It's here

tty keyboard core https://github.com/Daniel-Abrecht/console-keyboard-basic

tty keyboard lib https://github.com/Daniel-Abrecht/libttymultiplex

Reactions: Worldblender

Worldblender

Feb 17, 2015
Moto G Power
I see now. I would have to build from source the package, but I would prefer that I can make a proper package for the virtual keyboard. The image is just based off of the generic one that can run on other ARM computers, most often single-board computers that will likely have a USB keyboard attached.

Baonks81

Aug 8, 2020
I see now. I would have to build from source the package, but I would prefer that I can make a proper package for the virtual keyboard. The image is just based off of the generic one that can run on other ARM computers, most often single-board computers that will likely have a USB keyboard attached.
I hope you will build those packages on next Archlinux armv7 release ;)

Baonks81

Aug 8, 2020

I fixed sound in Ubuntu MATE for tegra30, cus I saw tegra-snd-rt5640: sound soc_snd_register_card fail (-517). I hope it was the same tegra20

$ sudo lsmod | grep "^snd" | cut -d " " -f 1

snd_soc_tegra30_i2s
snd_soc_tegra_pcm
snd_soc_tegra_rt5640
snd_soc_tegra_utils
snd_soc_rt5640
snd_soc_rl6231
snd_soc_core
snd_soc_tegra30_ahub
snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_pcm
snd_timer
snd

$ sudo modprobe -v snd_soc_tegra_rt5640

$ sudo modprobe -v snd_soc_tegra30_i2s

$ sudo nano /etc/modules

snd_soc_tegra30_i2s
snd_soc_tegra_pcm
snd_soc_tegra_rt5640
snd_soc_tegra_utils
snd_soc_rt5640
snd_soc_tegra30_ahub

$ reboot

You will see ALC5642 loaded

$ sudo cat /proc/asound/card*/id

$ sudo alsa force-reload

$ alsamixer

Enable some parameters:

"Speaker R" "Speaker L" "DAC MIXR INF1" "DAC MIXL INF1" "SPOL MIX DAC R1" "SPOL MIX DAC L1" "Stereo DAC MIXR DAC R1" "Stereo DAC MIXL DAC L1"

Please check and feedback this for sound on Linux

Last edited:

Worldblender

Feb 17, 2015
Moto G Power
$ sudo nano /etc/modules

snd_soc_tegra30_i2s
snd_soc_tegra_pcm
snd_soc_tegra_rt5640
snd_soc_tegra_utils
snd_soc_rt5640
snd_soc_tegra30_ahub

$ reboot

You will see ALC5642 loaded

$ sudo cat /proc/asound/card*/id

$ sudo alsa force-reload

$ alsamixer

Enable some parameters:

"Speaker R" "Speaker L" "DAC MIXR INF1" "DAC MIXL INF1" "SPOL MIX DAC R1" "SPOL MIX DAC L1" "Stereo DAC MIXR DAC R1" "Stereo DAC MIXL DAC L1"

Please check and feedback this for sound on Linux
Thank you for giving me this info. I have uploaded a newer version of the Ubuntu MATE image with these changes in mind. I'm not sure of how to enable the extra parameters you gave me, but at least you encouraged me to get audio working again.

Changes:
  • Kernel version upgraded to 5.14.0-rc1.
  • Most extra packages for the Raspberry Pi family of computers have been removed, including the kernels.
  • The PPA at https://launchpad.net/~grate-driver/+archive/ubuntu/ppa is pre-configured to be accessed. Most packages from this repository, including the opentegra driver, come preinstalled. They currently are enough to get 2D acceleration working, but not for 3D acceleration.
  • Except for what has been mentioned above, any packages shipped may have to be updated once an internet connection is established.
To get sound working again for existing images, edit the file at /etc/modules and add to this file:
Code:
snd_soc_tegra20_i2s
snd_soc_tegra_pcm
snd_soc_tegra_wm8903
snd_soc_wm8903

Baonks81

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for giving me this info. I have uploaded a newer version of the Ubuntu MATE image with these changes in mind. I'm not sure of how to enable the extra parameters you gave me, but at least you encouraged me to get audio working again.

Changes:
  • Kernel version upgraded to 5.14.0-rc1.
  • Most extra packages for the Raspberry Pi family of computers have been removed, including the kernels.
  • The PPA at https://launchpad.net/~grate-driver/+archive/ubuntu/ppa is pre-configured to be accessed. Most packages from this repository, including the opentegra driver, come preinstalled. They currently are enough to get 2D acceleration working, but not for 3D acceleration.
  • Except for what has been mentioned above, any packages shipped may have to be updated once an internet connection is established.
To get sound working again for existing images, edit the file at /etc/modules and add to this file:
Code:
snd_soc_tegra20_i2s
snd_soc_tegra_pcm
snd_soc_tegra_wm8903
snd_soc_wm8903
Kernel 5.14-rc3 support usb-otg now. I think I could use your Archlinux built to port other distros on tegra30

Worldblender

Feb 17, 2015
Moto G Power
Kernel 5.14-rc3 support usb-otg now. I think I could use your Archlinux built to port other distros on tegra30
Ever since this device is officially supported by postmarketOS, I use their prebuilt packages for all the images. When a newer version is packaged by them, I'll test to see if USB-OTG works. However, I can check to see if 5.14.0-rc1 already has USB-OTG support - and USB-OTG doesn't work with this version. It's okay, because I have a USB-A port instead I can use!
I've actually been considering creating more images based on other distros, as long as they have ARM versions available. I'm just stuck on which desktop environment should come preinstalled on these images. If I were doing it, I would be doing ones based off of major distros first, latest versions to be used, including:
  • Debian 10 or 11
  • Fedora 34
  • Gentoo (source-based distibution; compilation may be slow)
  • openSUSE Leap 15.3
  • Slackware 15.0 (once released) or current

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have tried the Ubuntu Mate image on 2 different sd cards and each time it gets to configuring system locales and the installer crashes. Can't login using the username and password I chose. Have tried connecting to wifi or not. Any thoughts?
    I have become successful with getting postmarketOS to run on this tablet for the past 2 months, running mainline Linux (5.8.0 as of this writing). This allows us to use this tablet model for a little longer, without getting stuck on older Linux kernel versions.
    postmarketOS is an experimental, touch-optimized and pre-configured Alpine Linux. It can be installed on smartphones and other devices.

About postmarketOS, from their homepage:
    We are sick of not receiving updates shortly after buying new phones. Sick of the walled gardens deeply integrated into Android and iOS. That's why we are developing a sustainable, privacy and security focused free software mobile OS that is modeled after traditional Linux distributions. With privilege separation in mind. Let's keep our devices useful and safe until they physically break!

Wiki page for this tablet: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Acer_Iconia_Tab_A500_(acer-picasso)
    Most features should work, except for the camera and 3D acceleration. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work only if the non-free firmware is chosen to be installed.

How to install:
    Follow the installation guide at https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Installation_guide, where theses specifics have to be specified when requested (this device is now in upstream pmaports):
    • Vendor: acer
    • Device code-name: picasso
    • Install non-free Wi-Fi + Bluetooth firmware: y
    Only the mainline kernel is available for installation now, as downstream kernels no longer successfully compile. The user interface may be freely selected, as long as it is not one that requires 3D acceleration. To use KDE Plasma 5, add these lines to /etc/security/pam_env.conf:
    Code:
    QT_IM_MODULE=qtvirtualkeyboard
    QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

Next, run the following commands in succession, after each one finishes, assuming the working directory contains the pmbootstrap.py script:
    Code:
    > ./pmbootstrap.py build device-acer-picasso
    > ./pmbootstrap.py build firmware-acer-picasso
    > ./pmbootstrap.py build linux-postmarketos-grate

From here on out, the generated chroot can be either installed to the eMMC, or a microSD card that must be inserted at or before boot time (the latter method allows for dual-booting Android already installed to the eMMC, although it can be directly accessed from the Linux system). The boot partition always has to be flashed to the eMMC in fastboot mode, as it is not possible to boot directly off of a microSD card.
    If installing to the eMMC, run
    Code:
    > ./pmbootstrap.py install
    > ./pmbootstrap.py flasher flash_kernel --partition secboot
    > ./pmbootstrap.py flasher flash_rootfs
    (optional) > ./pmbootstrap.py flasher boot
    If installing to a microSD card, run
    Code:
    > ./pmbootstrap.py install --sdcard [path to the device for installation]
    > ./pmbootstrap.py flasher flash_kernel --partition secboot

Depending on what user interface was chosen earlier in the installation process, there may not be enough packages installed to get a fully-loaded GUI. Besides the built-in Wi-Fi, it is also possible to use a USB ethernet adapter, or connect to another computer with a micro-USB cable and get RNDIS access that enables using SSH to the tablet.
    Using another distro in place of postmarketOS

Advanced: Using another distro in place of postmarketOS
    It is possible, if using the microSD card method, to use a different distro instead of postmarketOS, for those who want more software OOTB. I use the Ubuntu MATE rootfs from https://ubuntu-mate.org/ports/raspberry-pi/ as my daily driver, but other distros may take more effort to get working. Glibc limitations no longer apply, as the kernel version is no longer stuck at 3.1.0 (unlike with my earlier attempts). Carefully follow the instructions listed below, or the resulting system will become unbootable:
    1. Use losetup or GNOME Disks (Utility) to mount the image in read-write mode.
    2. Run GParted with the loop image and the target microSD card as the arguments.
    3. Copy only the larger rootfs partition to the microSD card. Resize as necessary to get it to fit on the target microSD card.
    4. Make sure on the target microSD card the boot partition is named 'pmOS_boot' and the rootfs 'pmOS_root'. The initramfs is hard-coded to search for partitions with these names by default for microSD cards. The loop image is not needed after this point, and can be safely detached.
    5. On the copied rootfs, edit /etc/fstab to reflect the partition layout. To get access to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, copy the kernel modules and firmware from the pmOS rootfs on the host system to the microSD rootfs.
    Let me know if something wasn't understood from my instructions, or more clarification is needed. The instructions here can be somewhat overwhelming for those who have less Linux experience, but at least we're not forced to stay on old distro versions anymore.
    Premade Linux images

I finally have managed to create a premade image to make the installation process easier for other people, especially for those who don't want to go through the hassle of compiling software. Every image I make can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pMqaS5GaM6N9TAKlNGQZWCG8UTiRn4pK?usp=sharing.

For all images:
    • The postmarketOS splash screen will appear, although the underlying OS differs based the image used.

Images available:
    • Ubuntu MATE 20.04.1 (ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso.img.xz) (size: 1.3 GiB):
      • Based on 'ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+raspi.img.xz', available from https://ubuntu-mate.org/ports/raspberry-pi/
      • Underlying OS is Ubuntu 20.04.1, which is supported for 5 years until April 2025. However, Ubuntu MATE officially has support only until April 2023.
      • Requires at least an 8 GB or greater size microSD card (the image is 5.6 GiB decompressed).
      • The setup screen will open upon the first successful boot, where a username and password have to be set.
      • The battery icon in MATE cannot be enabled graphically, as the preferences window has been patched to permanently hide such an option (as the Raspberry Pis lack native battery support); instead run the command
        Code:
        gsettings set org.mate.power-manager icon-policy 'always'
        to manually enable it.
    • Arch Linux ARM (ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest+acer-picasso.img.xz) (size: 598.8 MiB):
      • To login into system:
    Use any image writing program with these images. If such a program does not support XZ compression, the image needs to be extracted instead, and that has to be used.
    I hope the images will proves useful to some people. Let me know if any issue pops up during usage of this image!
    I released a new version of the premade Ubuntu MATE image just now, named 'ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-armhf+acer-picasso.img.xz'. The following changes have been made since the last image:
    • Kernel version upgraded to 5.10.1-rc1
    • Based on Ubuntu MATE 20.04.1
    • Everything that changed since the beta1 image
    Other than these changes, there are no other differences that can be noticed right away.
    Direct link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mr-7e29KJYeagJju0Yo1qUpT2YRb61AR/view?usp=sharing
    Many thanks for your work. I've entered today this forum just curious about something new and found this!
    Second life for this old machine!

It boots and works well for now!