Live TV in Android TV with new Google App

Search This thread

Konstigt

Dec 4, 2010
That only works in MX Player, and while it lets you view MPEG2 HD video, it does not get around the issue that you can't decode MPEG2 in the Live TV app.

Aha allright.

I have now started to watch Live TV from my HTS TVheadend server via Kodi. I'm not sure if it's HW-accelerated but it doesn't matter, HD-channels works perfectly. So that might be a good alternative to some.

shapethelola

Aug 31, 2010
Aha allright.

I have now started to watch Live TV from my HTS TVheadend server via Kodi. I'm not sure if it's HW-accelerated but it doesn't matter, HD-channels works perfectly. So that might be a good alternative to some.

It does for you?

I can't get HD channels to work properly. Do you have any video stream filters for that?

shapethelola

Aug 31, 2010
Nope haven't done anything special..

If I open a channel in VLC the codec is reported as in attached screenshot

Thanks so far. What I found out : As soon as I deactivate the MediaCodec Hardware Acceleration I can playback HD content via tvheadend just fine. With it activated Im running into stuttering at its finest :p Thats weird

shapethelola

Aug 31, 2010
hows that possible? Did they fix the mediacodec in that version?

Edit: Thanks a lot. It really works ! :) HD Streams run fine now !

Last edited:

buba013

Jun 1, 2015
This seems to work fine for me

1) install instatv pro on the nexus
1) load InstaTV Pro Plugin via web browser not builtin google play app(codec costs money) .
I can see my live HD TV channels no problem ( works better then instatv pro on its own)

(note i am running beta firmware on my hdHomerun)

___rolf

Sep 10, 2015
To extend the live TV on Nexus Player a new app is availabe which allows to watch free to air satellite TV (Astra Germany) via SAT>IP.
Please check on: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.tara_systems.apptvolutiontvinputservice

Reactions: wejgomi

GabbyWC

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Redmi Note 9 Pro
I was able to start using Google's Live Channels app after I installed the Pluto TV app. Google's app has a nice, full-screen electronic program guide and interface but navigation is not always practical and it doesn't provide the pause / rewind / fast forward controls which are available in the Pluto TV app for Android TV.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2010
Unlikely that any major player other than silicon dust will use Google's iptv app.

You know what I mean.. I too wish Sling (aka Dish) would use the channels app for its interface or Charter or DirecTV or in your case att.. But in reality, they want you to use their software with their accounts.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ski522

Jan 10, 2014
I'm a cordcutter and use OTA now...using an SiliconDust HDhomeRun Extend and their Kodi plug in I have no problem viewing live tv on my Nexus Player...it's my understanding that the Marshmallow update now provides GPU decoding of mpeg2 which, from what I can see, is true. But even if it didn't one nice thing about the Extend is that it can actually encode live TV on the fly to h.264.

Top Liked Posts