• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[LIVE WALLPAPER] Borderlight - edge highlight live wallpaper (Updated 02/24/2019)

Search This thread

dax105

Jan 13, 2014
Borderlight live wallpaper
This is an updated version of the original Borderlight found here. It's a live wallpaper that creates a thin colorful line on the edge of the display (hence the name), the new version also allows you to display a normal background image behind the edge highlight and darken/desaturate it when the device is locked/unlocked.

There is no real way to programatically get the shape of the display in Android, so I did the next best thing and created a preset system, where users can tweak the wallpaper for their phone and then share their preset with others.

I need your help!
See this post for details

Update 2/24/2019:
  • New notch settings (OP6T and other teardrop notch phones should be supported now)
  • Pink highlight of the outside borders when changing screen shape settings (makes it easier to configure the screen shape just right - just move the sliders until there's no pink visible)
Update 2/23/2019:
  • Moved to Google Play
  • No new features (yet), but they're coming soon!
Update 11/2/2018:
  • Force black theme on Android 8.1+
  • Fix red tint on Huawei/Honor/Vivo devices (hopefully)
  • Fix preset codes not containing notch width
  • New launcher icon
Update 11/1/2018:
  • Background image support
  • Only show border when locked/unlocked
  • Desaturate/darken/hide background image when locked/unlocked
  • Black out clipped parts of the screen - the wallpaper looks good on screenshots now
  • Shorter, less annoying preset codes (with support for the old ones)
  • Correct rendering in landscape mode
  • Wider range of border radii - will now support Pixel 3 XL

Get Borderlight on Google Play

Or get legacy APK here:
View attachment borderlight-debug-v1-1.apk

XDA:DevDB Information
Borderlight, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
dax105

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 1.0
Beta Release Date: 2018-11-01

Created 2018-11-01
Last Updated 2019-02-23

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181101-014114.jpg
    Screenshot_20181101-014114.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 91,324
  • Screenshot_20181101-014104.jpg
    Screenshot_20181101-014104.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 90,768
  • Screenshot_20181101-014038.jpg
    Screenshot_20181101-014038.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 90,508
  • borderlight-debug-v1.apk
    1.5 MB · Views: 196,051
Last edited:

somebob

Nov 7, 2017
Great work dev!

Settings for OnePlus 6 with very thin border

[H4sIAAAAAAAAAF2OWw7CIBBFt1Tio3U2Q3iMZSKFBgZNXb2hoq1+nrk3cy5NakSLWXFJiikGH80NLQghzWI85hkrnSXV4p0yafLEy6fWdf9JCbssRDbuWrwPmLOOzHGCfnifk7JUMscZDgepY7KYMj2xqjeqv7JJiAGaaT/262omhzQ6hqHhgyw7EKdebq7Lj71NOg4Sg9IeVwOIRmsRxAtbEYSuJAEAAA==]

mAajK20.jpg

9oe8NG8.jpg

k1tzYbd.jpg

For Dark Wallpapers :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Pd-Dz4sRZnK1BEvI2-OCp7iL6Aaciath

My HUMBLE suggestions :
1) An option for wallpaper slideshow.
2) Custom wallpapers with the same effects ( like oem logo, geometric shapes, popular shapes etc with minimalism in mind).
3) Option to change colors (or add different gradients, custom color combinations).
4) Presets of popular Phones built in ( Can add from trusted users)
5) Option to enable just a single beam of light (which doesn't cover the whole border).
6) Toggle for; only on notification/lockscreen/charging etc
7) Different patterns\animations for cycle like pulse, fade, etc ( rather than linear motion).
8) Option to change the direction( clockwise or anticlockwise).
9) Always on display.
10) An option to store and load different Presets

These are all SUGGESTIONS and NOT requests.
You have done a Great job in making this app so lite and minimalistic. Once again THANK YOU for keeping the app ad free !! :good:

Last edited:

gitzz

Nov 10, 2013
Hathras
OnePlus 9 Pro
Awesome, great, too good!!
Can there be one more setting?

Seperate border size for left/right and top/bottom, u must be aware of black border tempered glass for oneplus 6 covering the sides of screen. If this setting can be implemented then this problem of tempered glass would be solved.

qtpa2tnh

Sep 18, 2013
Towson
Awesome! The background image I select won't stay in portrait and I can't resize it, but the border is perfect on my Pixel 3 XL! Here's my present, I made sure it was perfect:

[H4sIAAAAAAAAAGWO6w6CMAxGX4kZRdzLLLtUaBwrWTsTfHq5CBj9+X09PW0i8V22AQsLDbpuDPa2hQBspWQrSCmSf0DQlXGUA2TGF+hT/ZVmgH0GSBP0t14OQZqPdYBtJ1pdlfGjj8ADTEN1MccX6nxaPU9kdBhRxt3x0+92VX389xJjAmZHItTr5rbWq30rKwPJugiLTW9pAbV6A5rAmvwUAQAA]

dax105

Jan 13, 2014
The background image I select won't stay in portrait and I can't resize it

That's weird, I did not add an option to crop the image, but it should definitely stay in portrait :D. Maybe you could try cropping the image to your screen resolution beforehand?

BTW: The images work like this: If the image resolution is smaller than your screen, it will just get placed in the center of the screen, kinda like a logo. And if it's larger, the full vertical center portion of the wallpaper will be used (sides will be chopped off to make the correct aspect ratio).

Reactions: mauam

Musa95

Jul 11, 2012
Great update! Its qorking perfectly with no bugs, i have one request, if you can add a wallpaper cropper, that would make it the best live wp, great work!

Reactions: AriefK

Yosecret

Aug 31, 2013
Looks nice but I'd like to use it with my current bg. However I can't seem to find the settings. There is only a big activate button in the app. No options to import or edit settings. Do I miss something? OP6.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Borderlight live wallpaper
    This is an updated version of the original Borderlight found here. It's a live wallpaper that creates a thin colorful line on the edge of the display (hence the name), the new version also allows you to display a normal background image behind the edge highlight and darken/desaturate it when the device is locked/unlocked.

There is no real way to programatically get the shape of the display in Android, so I did the next best thing and created a preset system, where users can tweak the wallpaper for their phone and then share their preset with others.

I need your help!
    See this post for details

Update 2/24/2019:
    • New notch settings (OP6T and other teardrop notch phones should be supported now)
    • Pink highlight of the outside borders when changing screen shape settings (makes it easier to configure the screen shape just right - just move the sliders until there's no pink visible)
    Update 2/23/2019:
    • Moved to Google Play
    • No new features (yet), but they're coming soon!
    Update 11/2/2018:
    • Force black theme on Android 8.1+
    • Fix red tint on Huawei/Honor/Vivo devices (hopefully)
    • Fix preset codes not containing notch width
    • New launcher icon
    Update 11/1/2018:
    • Background image support
    • Only show border when locked/unlocked
    • Desaturate/darken/hide background image when locked/unlocked
    • Black out clipped parts of the screen - the wallpaper looks good on screenshots now
    • Shorter, less annoying preset codes (with support for the old ones)
    • Correct rendering in landscape mode
    • Wider range of border radii - will now support Pixel 3 XL

Get Borderlight on Google Play

Or get legacy APK here:
    View attachment borderlight-debug-v1-1.apk

XDA:DevDB Information
    Borderlight, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    dax105

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.0
    Beta Release Date: 2018-11-01

Created 2018-11-01
    Last Updated 2019-02-23
    Great work dev!

Settings for OnePlus 6 with very thin border

[H4sIAAAAAAAAAF2OWw7CIBBFt1Tio3U2Q3iMZSKFBgZNXb2hoq1+nrk3cy5NakSLWXFJiikGH80NLQghzWI85hkrnSXV4p0yafLEy6fWdf9JCbssRDbuWrwPmLOOzHGCfnifk7JUMscZDgepY7KYMj2xqjeqv7JJiAGaaT/262omhzQ6hqHhgyw7EKdebq7Lj71NOg4Sg9IeVwOIRmsRxAtbEYSuJAEAAA==]

mAajK20.jpg

9oe8NG8.jpg

k1tzYbd.jpg

For Dark Wallpapers :
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1Pd-Dz4sRZnK1BEvI2-OCp7iL6Aaciath

My HUMBLE suggestions :
    1) An option for wallpaper slideshow.
    2) Custom wallpapers with the same effects ( like oem logo, geometric shapes, popular shapes etc with minimalism in mind).
    3) Option to change colors (or add different gradients, custom color combinations).
    4) Presets of popular Phones built in ( Can add from trusted users)
    5) Option to enable just a single beam of light (which doesn't cover the whole border).
    6) Toggle for; only on notification/lockscreen/charging etc
    7) Different patterns\animations for cycle like pulse, fade, etc ( rather than linear motion).
    8) Option to change the direction( clockwise or anticlockwise).
    9) Always on display.
    10) An option to store and load different Presets

These are all SUGGESTIONS and NOT requests.
    You have done a Great job in making this app so lite and minimalistic. Once again THANK YOU for keeping the app ad free !! :good:
    I'm really pissed off, I just found out that someone decompiled Borderlight, modified it a bit and put it on Google Play without my permission back in November. You can clearly tell that the app contains my code, but there's no mention of my name or Borderlight and there are ads all over the app, so he's making money off my work. People can really be dicks sometimes.
    New version 11/02/2018

All right, new version released, it squashes some bugs with unwanted light device themes, fixes missing notch width in presets and adds a launcher icon!
    Yes of course he has personal life and bla bla....But last response was 02-11-2018, 21:09, and Last Activity: 06-01-2019 15:13......
    So u do the math.

Uhm, excuse me! I have a personal life, but I'm also just quite lazy tbh. Don't you worry guys, I'll work on this some more when I finish my exams. :p