LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
That looks excellent! Now a question. Will this be able to replace the default clock screen or will one have to hit the right button and choose a clock app? The few clock 'plugins' that I saw for the original Liveview seemed pointless when you still had the original clock and now had extra buttons to press in order to see a clock face..

Cptnodegard

Nov 24, 2011
Clocks looks great! I do agree it would have to be a replacement to really be practical though, not a plugin.

Btw, I'm having an issue with Tasker's persistent notification being reported by the LiveView seemingly at random, and more than once per connection session. Anyone else have that?

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
its 100% natively running on the liveview.

its not just a clock replacement, its a firmware replacement. this means that it is far away from being usable since exception13 has not implemented bluetooth yet.
besides the usability i think about some kind of settings menu to choose if you prefer an analog clock or a digital one.

edit:
i also think about adding seconds as optional choice but well.. this and a settings menu would require to be able to write to the rom by the rom. i dont yet know how but i know its possible.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Great work so far. Got a LiveView that's literally just collecting dust.

Anyways, has anyone thought about a Tasker plugin for OLV? Seems to me to be the simplest way to get more functionality in there

For instance, I'd like to incorporate this with my Tasker based todo list, so that it send me my shopping list when I leave the house. Right now it "only" puts it on my lock screen. This was/is possible through stock LiveView by using the open watch plugin, but it wasn't great. I can technically do it right now, by simply making it create notifications, but being able to send Notes via Tasker would be epic

Can you broadcast intents from Tasker? (I've never used it)
If you can you can send an intent named "OLV_ADD_NOTIFICATION" with the following extras:
timestamp: long, contains unix time in seconds
type: int, 0 for generic, 1 for Android notification, 2 for SMS message and 3 for note
title: string, title of the alert
contents: string, contents of the alert

Alternative: If you can execute a console command in the shell of your phone you can try the following command:
Code:
am broadcast -a OLV_ADD_NOTIFICATION --el timestamp 0 --ei type 3 --es title "Title of your alert" --es contents "Contents of your alert"
(in combination with the latest version of OLV released in this topic a note should be added to the list of messages. This command does not notify the user that there is a new notification)

Please note that the name of this intent will change soon.
(Also note that there are other commands you can execute with intents too, like making the liveview vibrate or awaking the lv from standby. These commands are all part of the plugin API I am working on, so they may change in the future.)

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
Blacklisting

Hi there, I haven't been in this thread for a while and I just wanted to ask if somebody added blacklisting.
If this is not the case, I will just leave my idea here (see attachment). The edited files are res/values/strings.xml, res/layout/activity_expert_config.xml, src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/GetNotificationService.java, src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/Prefs.java and src/nl/rnplus/olv/ExpertConfigActivity.java (just Ctrl+F for "TpmKranz" and you will see what I've done).
At the moment it's quite unhandy (therefore in Advanced settings) - it is based on comma-seperated lists. In the "Notification type filter" text field, one can insert "android.app.Notification", which would block statusbar notifications, "android.widget.Toast$TN", which would block toast messages or "android.app.Notification,android.widget.Toast$TN" which would block both (but is counterproductive, actually, for this are the only types of notification OLV catches). In the "Notification origin filter" text field, one can insert a comma-seperated list of package names that should get blocked, so "com.noshufou.android.su" would block the "... has been granted Superuser permissions." toasts from the Superuser app. Of course the quotation marks don't belong into the text fields.
I will continue working on that to make it easier to choose blocked apps and make the toast-statusbar-thing a little less complicated (as you will see, it is quite over the top at the moment).
Feedback is appreciated - a potential tester can just install the bin/MainActivity.apk after uninstalling the official version of OLV (sorry, different signatures) and play a little with my changes if he/she would like to (I've deactivated the original "Notification filter" text field, because it doesn't serve a purpose in my version).

Attachments

• MainActivity.tar.gz
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: willfck4beer

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
Hi there, I haven't been in this thread for a while and I just wanted to ask if somebody added blacklisting.
[..]

I've improved my implementation of filtering notifications, but see yourself (you will need to click the thumbnails to see the screenshots in their full size):

1. I'll tap "Advanced settings".
    (in case the thumbnail won't load)
  2. You might see where to go now. Just ignore the "Notification filter" text field.
  3. Here we are. I'd like to filter notifications that come from the original SMS app, because I've got Ghostly SMS which notifies me of arriving short messages. So I'll add an app to the filter list. Creating the list of apps may take some time and Android might even tell you that the app doesn't respond - just wait until the list appears!
  4. Here I can choose which app to add to the list.
  5. You see that I've added several apps to the list: Superuser because my LiveView doesn't want to know if an app acts as root, Terminal Emulator because I usually see by myself that a terminal session is running and... oops, Ghostly SMS which should actually notify me of short messages...
  6. ...I can easily correct this by tapping "Ghostly SMS" in the list. Then I remember that toast messages have been annoying me since I first installed OLV...
  7. ...So I'll tap "Set filter mode" and voila: there is an option for that along with the option to block status bar notifications (actually just for completeness) and the option to don't set that filter.

For renzenicolai and anybody else interested in what I've done to the code. To quickly find what I've edited, just Ctrl+F for "TpmKranz" in edited files, these comments are just there for finding changes, I don't necessarily want them to appear in your repos. I've done these changes on a fresh clone of your repos so ignore anything from my last post:
Code:
added src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/FilterEditor.java
added src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/AppDialog.java
added src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/AppArrayAdapter.java
added res/layout/activity_filter_editor.xml
added res/layout/app_dialog_rowlayout.xml
added res/values/styles.xml
added res/values-v11/styles.xml
added res/drawable-{h,m,xh}dpi/ic_default.png
edited src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/Prefs.java
edited src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/GetNotificationService.java
edited src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/OldGetNotificationService.java
edited src/nl/rnplus/olv/ExpertConfigActivity.java
edited res/layout/activity_expert_config.xml
edited res/values/strings.xml
edited AndroidManifest.xml
And again: Anyone who wants to test it (and give feedback) may do so by installing bin/MainActivity.apk after uninstalling OLV.

Attachments

• MainActivity.tar.gz
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
Wow, just the ability to toggle all toasts off saves about 100 notifications an hour for me. Every time es file explorer performance an operation it shows a toast message. Numerous other programs that I use do the same. Thanks alot for this modification!

Cheers!

Reactions: TpmKranz

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Thank you TpmKranz!

Signed version of OLV so you guys won't have to reinstall it:
https://code.google.com/p/openliveview/downloads/detail?name=OLV06012013.apk

Changelog:
- Added TpmKranz filter.
- Switched to dashboard layout for the main activity.

Invisible changes:
- Started working on the plugin api

To do:
- Rewrite the database code

Request:
Can someone draw a couple of icons (or take them from the android resources)?
- Icon for notes (for use on the liveview)
- Icon for sms messages (for use on the liveview)
- Any other icon that you want to see replaced
- Any other icon that you want to add (for future use)

Icons that are going to be used on the lv should:
- have a size of 36x36 px
- be in the png format
- have no transparency
(I attached a couple of the icons currently used in OLV)

Thank you all for your help, support and feedback!

Attachments

• icons.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 25
  • OLV06012013.apk
    428.8 KB · Views: 48

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
I just added "ProgressDialog loadingDialog;" to the activity, which I initialize in the onCreate() function:
Code:
loadingDialog = new ProgressDialog(this);
loadingDialog.setMessage(getString(R.string.prefs_filtereditor_btn_wait));

Showing the dialog is realy simple:
loadingDialog.show();

Just as hiding:
loadingDialog.dismiss();

Reactions: TpmKranz

Yagami_ex

Feb 23, 2009
This is great!!!

I have liveview and saw that sony practically abandoned our gadget, and this project revives the liveview, then I would help, if you want to translate the app into Portuguese of Brazil, I'm ready, I want to contribute to the app, but I do not know programming, then it would translate if necessary.
Congratulations on your initiative

kingstonxl

Jul 3, 2012
Poznań
I have liveview and saw that sony practically abandoned our gadget, and this project revives the liveview, then I would help, if you want to translate the app into Portuguese of Brazil, I'm ready, I want to contribute to the app, but I do not know programming, then it would translate if necessary.
Congratulations on your initiative

Hold on theres stll lot of work to be done and tranlation is last one we need now

Sent from my Xperia X10 using xda app-developers app

gabbadoo

Sep 28, 2012
Mirrored icons

Here are some icons i started to "design" in the last week. I found an iconset on the net and mixed it with my ideas. I'm not a designer and my skills are just copy&paste, so please don't expect to much.
Any feedback is welcome!

Attachments

• OLV_icons_mirrored.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
I'm running the most recent version posted in this thread (OLV06012013.apk) and no longer get notifications sent to the device. I do not get alerts / vibrations sent to the device. When I know that an sms is received I can check the device and it will display the received sms but gives no prior indication that one has arrived. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
I'm running the most recent version posted in this thread (with the new menu structure) and no longer get notifications sent to the device. I do not get alerts / vibrations sent to the device. When I know that an sms is received I can check the device and it will display the received sms but gives no prior indication that one has arrived. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Did you check your settings? Also try to (re-)enable the accessibility service in the Android settings.

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
Did you check your settings? Also try to (re-)enable the accessibility service in the Android settings.

I just did a clear data and re-setup in case and this forced me to re-enable the accessibility service. Unfortunately I'm still not getting the notifications. After the clear data I made NO alterations to the default config to test so it should "just work" as it did in past.

Thanks for your help!

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
Can you send me a logcat?

I'm assuming from the Phone or does the liveview support adb as well?

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Pastebin from phone HERE.. There appears to be several errors noting "OpenLiveView(25113): Something went wrong in EventReader."

BTW, this is a flush of the logcat. A connect of the liveview from a powered off and disconnected state. A sent text message and then me checking the text message on the liveview.

Thanks again for your help!

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Update.. All of a sudden it started working??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone