LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

jkorp

Sep 24, 2012
Göteborg
Your apk won't install for me, which I assume is due to different package names between yours and renzenicolai's builds, requiring an uninstall first to switch. Holding out for a new renzenicolai version to keep my settings :) really looking forward to your filter setting though, it will fix a major issue I'm having.

Correct. I realized that as well today when I modified the head branch. Let us hope that renzenicolai compile and publish soon (sorry for messing with the version numbers renzenicolai.. :eek: )

trikii

Jan 21, 2011
Málaga
It's possible to add an option to rotate screen? With that we could use the watch with the clip holder on any strap, and other uses.

Here a pic of my liveview on my wristwatch (using clip holder):
i.imgur.com/KCqksl.jpg

Thank you all for your time.

Reactions: willfck4beer

snarshooter

Oct 16, 2010
Thank you so much.

I recently bought the live view and was very disappointed, i knew that it had issues but i figured I'd take my chances and see if it works, of course since i was using the nexus 7 and it wasn't necessarily intended for the nexus 7 or any tablet the app "was not compatible" with my device so it wouldn't let me download it. I found a way around that and the app continued to force close, i let it sit on my desk for a few days and today i decided to see if anyone one here had found a solution. I'm glad to say it's working almost perfectly. Thank you so much. :highfive:

snarshooter

Oct 16, 2010
My Application of the live view

I just wanted to show my application of the liveview and also see if it would be possible to have an option added for the screen timeout to be set indefinitely. I'm using it as steering wheel media controls and possibly at some point as a gauge for the Torque app and for both i don't want the screen to timeout and shutoff. Thank you for all of your work.

Attachments

• 0111132306a.jpg
    0111132306a.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Reactions: willfck4beer

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
Filter Editor v1.1

Heya, I've finally found some time to overhaul the filter editor UI - no more ugly buttons at the bottom of the view. I've also added some new functionality, namely the option to use the filter in whitelist mode and a help popup for the filter editor.
Changes compared to revision 2772383624df:
Code:
Modify: res/values/strings.xml
Modify: res/layout/activity_filter_editor.xml
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/OldGetNotificationService.java
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/GetNotificationService.java
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/Prefs.java
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/FilterEditor.java
Add: res/menu/filtereditor_menu.xml
Add: res/drawable-hdpi/btn_check_off.png
Add: res/drawable-hdpi/btn_check_on.png

Attachments

• openliveview.tar.gz
    1.7 MB · Views: 63

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Heya, I've finally found some time to overhaul the filter editor UI - no more ugly buttons at the bottom of the view. I've also added some new functionality, namely the option to use the filter in whitelist mode and a help popup for the filter editor.
Changes compared to revision 2772383624df:
Code:
Modify: res/values/strings.xml
Modify: res/layout/activity_filter_editor.xml
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/OldGetNotificationService.java
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/service/GetNotificationService.java
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/data/Prefs.java
Modify: src/nl/rnplus/olv/FilterEditor.java
Add: res/menu/filtereditor_menu.xml
Add: res/drawable-hdpi/btn_check_off.png
Add: res/drawable-hdpi/btn_check_on.png

Can you e-mail me your e-mail adress? Then I can add you to the OpenLiveView Googlecode project so you can commit your changes yourself.
I think you already know how to use git?
(please don't forget to do a pull before your push to merge with my changes. I don't think there will be conflicts but if there are I will fix them)

kejlog

Jan 27, 2011
The best usage of the liveview will be opening .txt! I can give everything for that! In 2 weeks i will have final exams and on miui isn't very compabile official app and olv delete preveious sms ;/ . Please add txt function! It will save my life

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
Tom Kranz:
Could you please avoid using the menu key (since its not available on the newest phones)?
I like the new whitelist function! (Also, the new gui indeed looks better!)

I'm glad to read that you like my work and feedback on it is very appreciated but isn't there an overflow button for those devices without a menu key?

In case the thumbnail won't load.

EDIT:
And it doesn't even make a three-dot button appear in the navbar. What's wrong with the overflow menu?

In case the thumbnail won't load.

Last edited:
Reactions: yohai75 and benwade

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
Tom Kranz:
Could you please avoid using the menu key (since its not available on the newest phones)?

this makes me feel like a whole key on my phone becomes obsolete in future :/ (in addition i even have a second menu key on my hardware keyboard)

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
one of the reasons i bought a desire z is the menu key.
the primary reason is the hardware keyboard (sadly the desire z is the latest phone in germany that has a hw keyboard. (screw microsoft for suing motorola ages ago about the fat filesystem wich made them stop selling even the motorola razr in germany...)

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda-developers app

samjam

Dec 18, 2006
Tom Kranz:

If you have a new phone without a menu key then just don't try to press that key. Why should the software nit support it? And if you get a Bluetooth keyboard you might want they key used again.

Sent from my Ascend G300 using Tapatalk 2

Laur3nt1u

Feb 5, 2011
If you have a new phone without a menu key then just don't try to press that key. Why should the software nit support it? And if you get a Bluetooth keyboard you might want they key used again.

Sent from my Ascend G300 using Tapatalk 2

great work! but please change the notification icon is too big

will the plugins work soon?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone