LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

Laur3nt1u

Feb 5, 2011
First I want to rewrite the database code, once that is finished I will further implement the plugin api.

ok!

btw can you add in the battery menu the battery status of the LiveView and the option to clear the notification by long press of action key when you have the media in the menu?!

guv.

Aug 6, 2010
I've just put android 4.2.1 on my galaxy SI phone. It seems that OLV works fine.

Thank you all.

I just tried the latest CM 10.1 nightly, still the same problem as described earlier here in the thread. OLV tries to connect and fails after a few seconds.

fixxxer667

Dec 8, 2010
I just tried the latest CM 10.1 nightly, still the same problem as described earlier here in the thread. OLV tries to connect and fails after a few seconds.

I was having similar issues on CFX 4.2.1, reflashing the liveview firmware via the sony updater restored functionality, maybe you can give it a shot. Select the liveview from the device list and follow the instructions.. after it searches for updates and finds nothing newer, it asks you if you want to flash the same/latest version.. do so and let us know..

Sony update service can be downloaded here: http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/update-service/

Reactions: willfck4beer

guv.

Aug 6, 2010
Sounds a little strange, since the native live view app works fine, but I will try it tomorrow.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk 2

aperali

Mar 7, 2004
Rio de Janeiro
Great effort!

Hi guys,
It is only to let you know that you have one more fun althought i dont have any skill in programming.
I'll follow this thread.
I think we much more to get from our liveview watches. Hope you keep the good work.

I'd love to get a plug in that shows standard emails on liveview. Do you know some?

Thank you very much for your effort and release the version with plugin support soon, please!

Cheers,

aperali

Mar 7, 2004
Rio de Janeiro
I dont understand what you mean. I cant find nothing related to Cyrillic and liveview email in a google research

What about Cyrillic? I did not show it...

Hi guys,
It is only to let you know that you have one more fun althought i dont have any skill in programming.
I'll follow this thread.
I think we much more to get from our liveview watches. Hope you keep the good work.

I'd love to get a plug in that shows standard emails on liveview. Do you know some?

Thank you very much for your effort and release the version with plugin support soon, please!

Cheers,

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
can anyone help us out uh try to repurpose an accesibity service to mirror, invert, flip x axis display of phone screen globally to be correct orientation in heads up hud mode bouncing reflection off windshield to use in conjunction with open liveview steering wheel remote? Sick! Im close to having this setup fully working. Its so badass for navier hud navigation google maps nav with trapster and remote control avrcp. Beer on me. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36876753

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Could you please tell me what is wrong with using an options menu?

Sorry: I caused a little misunderstanding.
There is nothing wrong with using the menu key, but on newer versions of Android the menu key should be avoided. To show the menu items the action bar should be used. On my phone (Android 4.1, cyanogenmod 10) the actionbar shows, but some of the menu items are hidden away under the menu key. Normally (in other apps) these items are shown using the overflow indicator in the actionbar.

It's no big deal so just leave it like it is :) .

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

OLV support Russian and Polish language? I can not get to work...

Only ASCII characters are currently working. If someone can tell me the right encoding to get unicode working please post it here.

Note: I will ignore future posts about missing language support.

kingstonxl

Jul 3, 2012
Poznań
Odp: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

There is nothing wrong with using the menu key, but on newer versions of Android the menu key should be avoided. To show the menu items the action bar should be used. On my phone (Android 4.1, cyanogenmod 10) the actionbar shows, but some of the menu items are hidden away under the menu key. Normally (in other apps) these items are shown using the overflow indicator in the actionbar.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Only ASCII characters are currently working. If someone can tell me the right encoding to get unicode working please post it here.

Note: I will ignore future posts about missing language support.

As far as language support is not a big deal but the charset is a big issue here. Every one who is using different char set will get "?" marks in place of special characters and it looks terrible.

I suggested UTF8 but that caused some trouble I guess. Id love this app if someone find a way to show letters correct.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam

[...]

Oh, ok. You don't see an overflow button because Android usually hides it if there is a hardware menu key present.
For users of Android <4.0 there is a toast message that appears if the filter editor activity is started and there is no item in the filter, which tells the user to hit the menu key, because I thought it would be odd for people to open the filter settings and see an entirely blank activity that doesn't give a clue on what to do.
If there are Honeycomb users, I would love to see a screenshot of the revamped filter settings because I was unable to test the activity on a HC emulator and therefore am not sure what exactly is shown to the user (and so I decided to show that toast on Honeycomb, too).
Users of Ice Cream Sandwich and above should definitely see at least the "Add" button and either the "Help" or the overflow button (depending on whether there is an actual menu key present or not) and because I thought that people would hit the question mark or the three dots if they were not to know what to do next, I decided to not show the toast on that versions. But if you don't like that the options menu is "hidden away under the menu key", then I should maybe show that toast on Android >=4.0 if there is a hardware menu key on the phone (and thus no overflow button on the screen).
By the way: If you want to see overflow buttons despite the fact that your phone has a menu key, you might want to try the "Show action overflow" setting (in fact, that's how I made the three dots appear on my Desire Z for the first screenshot). ;)

Saltana

Jan 20, 2013
dfu-util detach problem

Hi,

first of all: thank you all for this effort,
you really got me into trying to hack the firmware for this tiny gadget :)

I compiled and installed libusb (from dot org) and dfu-util (from dot gnumonks dot org) on Mac OSX "Snow Leopard" from sources
and then compiled your test firmware but run into some problems downloading it to device.

Running

flash:
sudo dfu-util -d 0fce:f0fa -c 1 -i 0 -a 0 -s 0x08003000 -v -D build/olvfwp.bin

gives me some warnings:

Code:
Device returned transfer size 1024
No valid DFU suffix signature
Warning: File has no DFU suffix

and then

Code:
Downloading to address = 0x08003000, size = 42708
   Poll timeout 100 ms
 Download from image offset 00000000 to memory 08003000-080033ff, size 1024
   Poll timeout 104 ms
 Download from image offset 00000400 to memory 08003400-080037ff, size 1024
   Poll timeout 104 ms
   Poll timeout 100 ms

.... some more of those timeouts on subsequent addresses ... and finally 

File downloaded successfully

But the real problem comes now:

Code:
$sudo dfu-util --detach
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Opening DFU capable USB device... ID 0fce:f0fa
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [0fce:f0fa] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash  /0x08000000/06*002Ka,122*002Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuDNLOAD-IDLE, status = 0
aborting previous incomplete transfer
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 1024
Unsupported mode: 3

No matter which version of libusb and dfu-util i use (event under linux, run inside
virtual machine or booted from live disk), I am unable to get out of DFU mode :confused:
by other means then running Sony firmware updater under Windows inside virtual machine,
and reflushing original firmware ...

Any ideas?
Which versions (and origins) of libusb & dfu-utils are you using?

Thanks in advance,
--Adam--

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
No matter which version of libusb and dfu-util i use (event under linux, run inside
virtual machine or booted from live disk), I am unable to get out of DFU mode :confused:
by other means then running Sony firmware updater under Windows inside virtual machine,
and reflushing original firmware ...

Any ideas?

Press the power button of the LiveView until it turns off. When I reflashed it it also didn't restart, but I didn't get any warnings either.
(Using Ubuntu 12.10 and the dfu-utils that are in the Ubuntu repositories)

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
No one have any ideas for OLV avrcp and heads up display hud youtube playlist?? Itll be sick as fxcuk if we can get this to work. Blow iphone to ****. Xda dont fail me now. Im glad to help but could use some direction. Id toss $30 bucks in to the effort and I'm sure a shxzit load of others would toss in $4 measley bucks.
Sorryn in advance, ifvthis Post violates...long time lurk...noob poster f4give please

Note 2 hud bxitches
Yay censorship fail

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

kingstonxl

Jul 3, 2012
Poznań
Odp: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

is there a way to use the live view as a game-pad or as a pc mouse (WiFi Mouse)?

Oh Please! Let devs work on really useful stuff! If they got bored then u can ask them to make liveview a soviet nuclear missile launching red button.

By the way using Bluetooth liveview connected to phone then phone by WiFi and use it all as WiFi mouse u could make a move on liveview then go to kitchen, make some tea get back and yet wait for cursor to move :D. That's really needed future!

By the way sorry for spamming this outstanding thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone