LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
It may function as an avrcp audio video remote control profile under bluetooth iirc
And as a game dpad... or presentation slide forward reverse... or the potential is limitless

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
I think there's a question in there but I'm not certain what it is...?

Perhaps:
does it work on JB 4.2? If so, yes.
and
can you rotate the screen? not yet.

bradeyk

Aug 5, 2012
my bad,
how do i get OLV to work with 4.2? i have used the firmware updater with no luck.
it connects then disconnects

i have read about a custom firmware. what develpment enviorment are you guys using with windows?
cheers

kingstonxl

Jul 3, 2012
Poznań
Odp: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

my bad,
how do i get OLV to work with 4.2? i have used the firmware updater with no luck.
it connects then disconnects

i have read about a custom firmware. what develpment enviorment are you guys using with windows?
cheers

Who is developing on windows? :D
Most of development is made on linux.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
If you do get a cease and desist, please let me know. I'd love to help pro bono publico and, more importantly, I'm sure EFF would stand up to help too. Google v. Oracle seemed to say that APIs are fair game. Still though - this is a good caution. Do not reuse their code at all!!!
Copyright is a nasty beast - but 17 USC 107 and up are all fair use exceptions. The sole purpose of the copyright clause of the Constitution is to further the progress of arts and sciences.
Copyright is only meant to cover creative original expression like books, music, movies and only to promote further creation - which is exactly what you are doing. FUNCTIONAL CODE that can only be expressed in one or a few ways is on shaky ground under the copyright regime. Who knows what Patents S*** or others may have on certain aspects of this though.
Luckily this is not for profit OLV so where's the money? What's the purpose of coming after you, what damages are there? You are igniting interest in their product that they failed repeatedly with ... they have the opposite of damages - every time some kid reads these articles and says - e.g. "hey $20 ain't bad for a watch computer" you've CREATED a sale FOR S***. It boggles me why they haven't sent you a free smartwatch MN2 like Samsung did with Cyanogen and Teamwin. Presumably they'd want the explosion in interest that you, the devs, and the open community inherently bring to the table.

Cannon_Foddr

Jun 25, 2011
Reading this with interest as Brother brought me one of these for Xmas for use in work

Not actually tried it (OLV) as I'm not getting 'many' problems with it ... one feature I'd like to suggest though - that I find 'missing' with the official LV software

An option to tell HOW LONG it should vibrate when receiving any notifications...
Currently, it just a short sharp pulse <1sec (by my reckoning)... easily missed in the environment I work in (It's a noisy factory FYI)

It would be nice to be able to tell the Live view to either buzz longer &/or pulse/buzz for a user defined length of time when a call/msg etc comes in

I know this would drain the battery more - but I'd rather know I've had a call/msg as soon as possible than wait until I decide to look at the LV & realise I've missed it which might be hours later

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Perhaps the event/notification filter could be opened a bit to allow two or more notifications for email if they are created? On live view I was getting for notices per email which was annoying but I actually noticed them even when sailing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
AW: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Any ideas?
Which versions (and origins) of libusb & dfu-utils are you using?

Thanks in advance,
--Adam--
i will create some kind of manual to get the firmware to compile.
Who is developing on windows? :D
Most of development is made on linux.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app
well.. i use windows and linux in various combinations for developement.

since my reallife business took most of my recent time, i have not done further developement.

as soon as i find some spare time again, i will concentrate on getting some things onto here.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda-developers app

hotdogH2O

Sep 17, 2010
My liveview is back!

Absolutely love this program, thank you so much for your hard work!
Does anyone know what app to filter for to filter out notifications of installing apps/uninstalling apps?

wish list: 12/24 hour toggle :good:

Saltana

Jan 20, 2013
dfu-util detach & firmware development

Press the power button of the LiveView until it turns off.

Thanks, "until" was the magic word, i was just impatient, let go the button before reset …

When I reflashed it it also didn't restart, but I didn't get any warnings either.

It works despite those warnings, so, time permitted, i will have a look at the dfu-util source
code and try to understand what's going on … low priority though..

Dfu-util newer versions (i tested 0.7 and recent git master) implement some DfuSe
(DFU with ST Microsystems) extensions, so you can just append :leave to the address option value

Code:
dfu-util --verbose -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08003000:leave --upload firmware-org.bin

and have the device leave dfu-mode and reset.

i will create some kind of manual to get the firmware to compile.

Reading Chibios docs, makefiles and sourcefiles from test firmware clears things all right.
It was my environment (OSX) , that made it non trivial (but tedious) to install and diagnose all libs and tools ..

Is anyone trying to find out about LV peripherals connection and controlling?
Buttons would be the minimum for basic user interactions.

I had a glance on touch controller docs (CY8C20236A). This chip is versatile configurable and programmable,
but in case of our device it should generate simple "button tap" events, that we could somehow detect on some pins …
uneducated guess ;))

Last edited:

manxam

Sep 12, 2008
Does anyone know what app to filter for to filter out notifications of installing apps/uninstalling apps?

So it's not just me then? These things are always 24h even using the stock program? What was sony thinking when they built this? I realize that some of europe uses 24h but if releasing it into north america the least they could do is change this.

While I have no problem with 24h (ret. military), I'd prefer my watch to display 12h.

Hopefully this will be "toggle-able" in the future!

Reactions: Laur3nt1u

vallesedgar

Apr 26, 2011
So it's not just me then? These things are always 24h even using the stock program? What was sony thinking when they built this? I realize that some of europe uses 24h but if releasing it into north america the least they could do is change this.

While I have no problem with 24h (ret. military), I'd prefer my watch to display 12h.

Hopefully this will be "toggle-able" in the future!

For me its kind of a hassle, I install the Sony live view app, power down the watch and connect it to get 12h then force stop Sony's liveview and connect with olv and it stays on 12h until the battery dies or I accidentally shut off the watch.

Sent from my Rezound using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359188971463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359188971463.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 298
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359188994212.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359188994212.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: willfck4beer

vallesedgar

Apr 26, 2011

I just add Google play store to the filters

Laur3nt1u

Feb 5, 2011
For me its kind of a hassle, I install the Sony live view app, power down the watch and connect it to get 12h then force stop Sony's liveview and connect with olv and it stays on 12h until the battery dies or I accidentally shut off the watch.

Are you using the 1.0.2.0 version from Google Play? bc there is a 1.0.2.2 on the project source page

Sent from my LG-P690

Reactions: willfck4beer

flamingspaz

Jul 23, 2010
London
Hey guys,

First off, great work.

I have attempted to use the APK on google code with my SGS2 running CM10.1 and it just disconnects after a few seconds. The app runs brilliantly on my Motorola Xoom on Android 4.1.2.

I've attached device info and a logcat if that is of any help.

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 15
  • device_info.txt
    683 bytes · Views: 9

manxam

Sep 12, 2008

Curious. Even using Sony's Liveview my watch still displays 24h and I can't find anywhere to adjust this setting.

vigoos

Jun 24, 2012
Pune
Curious. Even using Sony's Liveview my watch still displays 24h and I can't find anywhere to adjust this setting.

For me when I change the setting on my phone to 12 h it displays in 12 h format. Else it displays in 24 h format.
In my case it changes when I change it in phone. Don't know about others.

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e running Farrago v2 by vigoos using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone