LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

allua

Jan 29, 2013
Recap of thread so far

I'm looking to use my Liveview w/o an Android phone or PC, possibly simply as an always-on analog clock or sth but I have some quick questions about the firmware part of this effort:

I was able to find the instructions how to compile and deploy the custom firmware. However the git repository (firmware) at google code seems to be empty - where is the code for download if it's available for download at all?

What does the current firmware do? Is it only a very basic port of chibios that can blink the hardware LEDs or is it already in state where it could run (or already has) somekind of GFX clock which is demoed in the couple of videos linked in the thread?

andrewt328

Aug 17, 2010
im sorry but im new to the liveview...i know that this thread is for redoing the bluetooth protocol, but how exactly do i do that? i click the link in the op but im not really sure what the documents are or how they are used...can someone explain how i can get this to work? also, is the OLV app on the play store good for the liveview? sorry for not knowing anything, whatever you can do to explain would be appreciated. thanks

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
@allua:
The firmware download should be in this thread. It is not yet able to show a fully working clock.

---------

@andrewt328:

The olv app on Google Play is the result of the work people did in this thread. Oir project can also be found on googlecode: openliveview.googlecode.com . On Google code you can download the latest source and the latest working apk file (The version on google code has nice new icons :))

If you are new to this project it may handy to know that the openliveview app replaces both the liveware manager and the liveview software. Please uninstall these two applications to make sure no conflicts will prohibit the correct working of olv.

Openliveview does not yet support plugins (thats #1 on the to do list) but it does catch all notifications broadcasted by android
. This means that you can see all your phones notifications on your Liveview. Olv also has an option that shows the notification on the liveview the moment it arrives.

If you have more questions feel free to ask!

andrewt328

Aug 17, 2010
@allua:
The firmware download should be in this thread. It is not yet able to show a fully working clock.

---------

@andrewt328:

The olv app on Google Play is the result of the work people did in this thread. Oir project can also be found on googlecode: openliveview.googlecode.com . On Google code you can download the latest source and the latest working apk file (The version on google code has nice new icons :))

If you are new to this project it may handy to know that the openliveview app replaces both the liveware manager and the liveview software. Please uninstall these two applications to make sure no conflicts will prohibit the correct working of olv.

Openliveview does not yet support plugins (thats #1 on the to do list) but it does catch all notifications broadcasted by android
. This means that you can see all your phones notifications on your Liveview. Olv also has an option that shows the notification on the liveview the moment it arrives.

If you have more questions feel free to ask!

So will the olv app allow for reading of SMS messages? What about receiving a Gmail notification or even be able to read the email? Thanks again!

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
So will the olv app allow for reading of SMS messages? What about receiving a Gmail notification or even be able to read the email? Thanks again!

that is so called "future music"

in case you know java and know how to develop android apps, you might want to check it out and help making this real.

Reactions: willfck4beer

andrewt328

Aug 17, 2010
I'm using the olv app and when I receive text messages my live view does not vibrate even though it is set to vibrate when receiving notifications. I am also not getting other notifications such as Gmail

Last edited:

exception13

Mar 11, 2008
Kazan
Is anyone trying to find out about LV peripherals connection and controlling?
Buttons would be the minimum for basic user interactions.

I had a glance on touch controller docs (CY8C20236A). This chip is versatile configurable and programmable,
but in case of our device it should generate simple "button tap" events, that we could somehow detect on some pins …
uneducated guess ;))

all basic GPIO is found (see docs/gpio.txt in my test code source). button and touch button drived by CY8C20236A, CY8C20236A generate interrupt (see docs/gpio.txt) on change buttons/touch buttons state and you can read status register with current button data (function i2c_read in test code source) but i not understand how say to CY8C20236A that the interrupt has been processed and can generade the next interrupt

vallesedgar

Apr 26, 2011
Having a little trouble with 4.2.1 , I've had 4.2.1 before but just updated my ROM and after I pair my liveview and I tap the top right button on the watch to connect to the phone ,I get "message access request" Liveview would like to access your messages" I click OK but olv closes and it never connects and I did turn on olv in accessibility .
Anyone else run into this problem?
Oh and I'm running the latest apk 1.0.2.2

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359731754200.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359731754200.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 404

fixxxer667

Dec 8, 2010
Having a little trouble with 4.2.1 , I've had 4.2.1 before but just updated my ROM and after I pair my liveview and I tap the top right button on the watch to connect to the phone ,I get "message access request" Liveview would like to access your messages" I click OK but olv closes and it never connects and I did turn on olv in accessibility .
Anyone else run into this problem?
Oh and I'm running the latest apk 1.0.2.2

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

In case you are running CFX SR7, it is a known bug due to some changes in BT MAPS, introduced from (and possibly also affecting) the latest CM. It will be reverted in the next CFX nightly, no idea about cm..

Reactions: synergye

andrewt328

Aug 17, 2010
Last edited:

Saltana

Jan 20, 2013
all basic GPIO is found (see docs/gpio.txt in my test code source). button and touch button drived by CY8C20236A, CY8C20236A generate interrupt (see docs/gpio.txt) on change buttons/touch buttons state and you can read status register with current button data (function i2c_read in test code source) but i not understand how say to CY8C20236A that the interrupt has been processed and can generade the next interrupt

Thanks exception13, i will dig into interrupt handling docs (STM32F103xx Reference manual RM0008, is it?).

vigoos

Jun 24, 2012
Pune
is there any way to make the liveview automatically reconnect after losing connection, rather than having to actually press pair on my phone...

EDIT:
Anyone try these apps? i think they only work on the official app, but does anyone know which one works better? thanks
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crdevs.liveviewguide&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.liveviewmanager&hl=en

I used LiveView super fixer. Others are creepy

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e using xda app-developers app

Reactions: willfck4beer

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
I updated my phone to android 4.2.1 and I can't get OLV working. The problem seems to be in the new bluetooth stack of android 4.2
If anyone can get things working on Android 4.2, please share your fix with us :).

Code:
private static final UUID SERIAL = UUID.fromString("00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB");
private final BluetoothAdapter btAdapter;
private BluetoothServerSocket serverSocket;
private BluetoothSocket clientSocket;
btAdapter = BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter();
serverSocket = btAdapter.listenUsingRfcommWithServiceRecord("LiveView", SERIAL);
clientSocket = serverSocket.accept();
serverSocket.close();
serverSocket = null;
//Liveview is now connected

I think something goes wrong in the "serverSocket = btAdapter.listenUsingRfcommWithServiceRecord("LiveView", SERIAL);" line.

@"official" OLV team members:
Please post your donation link in this topic or send me an e-mail. If you do I can add your link to the app. (I don't think its fair that I am the only one getting the donations for this project). (about $7 per month, but it could become more in the future... If you donated: Thank you!)

@people who helped programming and want to be part of the "team":
Sorry, I should have added you already: just mail me and I will add you.

@firmware developers:
Do you guys want to upload your source code to the Google Code repo (GIT)?

Reactions: yohai75

jkorp

Sep 24, 2012
Göteborg
Sv: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

@"official" OLV team members:
Please post your donation link in this topic or send me an e-mail. If you do I can add your link to the app. (I don't think its fair that I am the only one getting the donations for this project). (about $7 per month, but it could become more in the future... If you donated: Thank you!)

I happily donate my code without a donation link. In case anyone appreciate my contributions please send a donation to renzenicolai. You are the man, man! :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: renzenicolai

sebibv

Sep 14, 2010
@renzenicolai

I have android 4.2.1...I'm not sure if I understand your post but, in my case, the OLV works fine. i don't have any problems.

I'm not good at all at programing but if you need my help I will help with pleasure.

My phone is Galaxy S (i9000) with android 4.2.1 AOSP (of course, unofficial). I'm here for you :D.

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
AW: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Hello evryone.

I run on 4.2.1 (aosp) aswell now and so far have not experienced any issues yet.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone