LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
Hi guys,
for me it is not 100% clear who are the guys which are coding right now to get involved for things.
First i wish to remake the graphics in different color and style. Possible you are interested in that.
So yes, please PM me or here.

Reactions: Machaira

Laur3nt1u

Feb 5, 2011
Hi guys,
for me it is not 100% clear who are the guys which are coding right now to get involved for things.
First i wish to remake the graphics in different color and style. Possible you are interested in that.
So yes, please PM me or here.

I like the graphics they are cleaner than the original ones... I don't think they need to be changed instead the launcher and notification icons should be changed

Sent from my LG-P690

Ghost_ghost123

Jul 12, 2010
North London
Morning Guys,

Loved the work you have done so much I actively went out and purchased the LiveView Generation 2 on the basis of this thread!

.... but, I cant get OLV to stay conected at all, even to the point it wont update the clock or anything.

The phone just keeps notifying me that OLV is connecting ..... where as nothing is really happening.

Phone is paired directly with 'Smart Watch' so that is all fine, but even Sony LiveView software wont pick up the watch?!

Anyone out there able to help?

Phone: Stock Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, Andriod 4.0.4

:crying:

smwinn7

Dec 17, 2010
Chicagoland
Morning Guys,

Loved the work you have done so much I actively went out and purchased the LiveView Generation 2 on the basis of this thread!

.... but, I cant get OLV to stay conected at all, even to the point it wont update the clock or anything.

The phone just keeps notifying me that OLV is connecting ..... where as nothing is really happening.

Phone is paired directly with 'Smart Watch' so that is all fine, but even Sony LiveView software wont pick up the watch?!

Anyone out there able to help?

Phone: Stock Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, Andriod 4.0.4

:crying:

This will only work with the liveview not the smartwatch

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
openliveview.com

yo guys.

shall the link to this thread continue to point to the first page or shall i change it to the "newest" page?

newest page link untill it reaches a post count above 200

-- garbage you dun need to read --

i'm ill till next week and will be able to spend some time cleaning up my garbage and share my (srsly tiny) clock firmware update.

since i moved out of my parents house a while ago i have no intarwebz at home. (i still wait for the arrival of my intarwebz hardware from the company i work for... for 12 days already..)
i currently use a wifi hotspot and my 5 gb volume is already almost dead but will be enuf to do what ever i want. (except watching kittens D:)

in addition i have a new laptop from that same company so i need to get it to compile it here to concentrate on the stuff i have in mind.

>>> i dunno how i could get bluetooth to work. i'm a software guy.

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
Heya guys, I just found out how to get all the strings out of notification events, so we don't need to rely on the ticker string, which is empty in some notifications (I think WhatsApp's notifications don't have a ticker text, for example). I will need to find the Android-version-specific ids and then I can incorporate this into OLV's notification service. :)

Cptnodegard

Nov 24, 2011
I finally gave up on the LiveView for good after trying out OLV constantly for a few hours. Keeps losing connection, meaning it's useless

This has nothing to do with OLV

I know for a fact that some Bluetooth chips/stacks cause this to happen, including the one in my Galaxy S II. I was about to buy a MetaWatch a while back, but was actually warned by someone at the company about connection issues being related to certain phone models, like the SII

Just mentioning so that others don't end up contributing connection issues to OLV

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
Heya guys, I just found out how to get all the strings out of notification events, so we don't need to rely on the ticker string, which is empty in some notifications (I think WhatsApp's notifications don't have a ticker text, for example). I will need to find the Android-version-specific ids and then I can incorporate this into OLV's notification service. :)

I've just commited my changes to the project and I would love to hear some feedback.
Why does tapping the "Notifications" button in the main menu lead to an insta-kill of OLV, by the way?

Reactions: willfck4beer

jkorp

Sep 24, 2012
Göteborg
Why does tapping the "Notifications" button in the main menu lead to an insta-kill of OLV, by the way?

I have also noticed that the OLV crashed when clicking the Notification button, and the notifications stopped working for me. Thought it was my own modifications of the code that messed up the database, but since you also get it I guess it is in the main branch as well. It has something to do with a call to db helper which returns NULL (if I remember right from reading the log after my crashes). I completely un-installed and re-installed OLV, and then it works again so I can not currently reproduce the error.

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
@exception13:

have you found a c library for the STLC2500 yet or do you currently reinvent the wheel? i've figured that (in the past) a library called: "ST7 Software Library" published by st.com was freely avilable and containing the required sources to use this and other controllers.

do you have that lib somewhere? i cannot seem to find it.

btw i found a string within the firmware dump that says this: STLC2500 R5.4 A09 23062010 10:34:48L
wich seems to be a version stamp of the bluetooth driver they used.

besides that:

have you got rtc working yet?

Last edited:

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
OpenLiveView 1.0.3.0

Attached to this post is a new version of OpenLiveView: version 1.0.3.0
This version probably contains a lot of bugs: if you find one please tell us!

New things
Code:
 - Automatic device detect on first start
 - New database code (easier to understand: you open and close the database in every function instead of opening it and hoping it closes by magic)
 - 12 / 24 hour clock mode switch

Known bugs
Database:
Code:
 - Timestamp in notifications is wrong
 - Icon of notifications in "all notifications" view is wrong

New launcher icon needed
OpenLiveView still needs a proper launcher icon: please post your creations! (see this link).

I've just commited my changes to the project and I would love to hear some feedback.

YES! Finally a solution for getting the notification contents :)
Hmm, that insta-kill probably has something to do with me working on the database code :)... I hope that it doesn't occur in the market version of OLV.

By the way: OpenLiveView has 1000 active installations from the market now :).

Attachments

• OLV21022013.apk
    455.6 KB · Views: 23

TpmKranz

Mar 30, 2012
Potsdam
[...]
New launcher icon needed
OpenLiveView still needs a proper launcher icon: please post your creations! (see this link).
[...]

Just an idea.
EDIT: Slightly brighter font.
8vV9F2S.png

Attachments

• OLV-icon.tar.gz
    320 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone