LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

tb-killa

Feb 25, 2008
Duisburg
Hello, i order now an Live View for about little more than 12€.

I am Software Dev in a Company who build up Messurement Products so i know different way to Programming Pic and other Embeded Products.

First of all could somebody list me all integrated Chips inside the watch?
I will check about integrated missing driver and maybe other nice things =)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
Hello, i order now an Live View for about little more than 12€.

I am Software Dev in a Company who build up Messurement Products so i know different way to Programming Pic and other Embeded Products.

First of all could somebody list me all integrated Chips inside the watch?
I will check about integrated missing driver and maybe other nice things =)

thanks for that offer. we really could need help.

i will create a repo and a thread for the firmware soon. just send me your email through a pm or subscribe to this thread to get notified as soon as i put it onto github.

Reactions: tb-killa

tb-killa

Feb 25, 2008
Duisburg
I readout the last 30 posts and now i think if the posts are correct i know the naming parts of the chips.

What i think the first part would be needing Bluetooth.
I also check Chibi Os but need some more time to check different parts Inside them.

[EDIT]: Found nice Informations about Howto saving Data in Flash in Cortex M3/M4 ...

Last edited:

cfaure

Mar 26, 2011
Hardware

Hi,

Someone have information about hardware connections between microcontroller and bluetooth module?
is an SPI module? Pin's of microcontroller used?
Or this need to be found?

Thanks

PD: i'm not an expert, but maybe i can help a bit in this great work?
i'm c/c++ developer, using cheap STM32 boards having similar (or same) microcontroller.

getoffmysand

May 6, 2013
I appreciate all the work done on the liveview this project kept mine going for a lot longer than I expected it too. However I now have a pebble who should I send my liveview too to help you guys out. I'm in the US so there's a dev here I would prefer that to shipping it out internationally, but I'd like to see this go to some that can use it for good things. If any of the devs want it let me know.

Thanks for all your work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

there is a guy called mike harrison who would probably have a look - he does some serious stuff with things

can't post a link yet - search on google or look at his stuff on youtube . com user/mikeselectricstuff

tb-killa

Feb 25, 2008
Duisburg
thanks for that offer. we really could need help.

i will create a repo and a thread for the firmware soon. just send me your email through a pm or subscribe to this thread to get notified as soon as i put it onto github.

Do you create repo and do some more work on the Firmware?

hampox

Jul 27, 2012
Is there a way to include a function which prevents the Liveview from shutting the screen down?

I am using the liveview as a remote for my music player on my android and it is very annoying that the screen turns black after a while.

If I want to change or pause a track I have to press the top left button and have to wait until it changes from "clockmode" to "music player mode".

I would rather prefer if I could see the music player the whole time, without the liveview turning the screen black and/or turning into "clockmode".

The perfect solution would be if the liveview would be in music player mode with a black screen but the soft keys would still function. This would extend battery life.

Last edited:

sebibv

Sep 14, 2010
Dear all,

I saw that here is more a technical discussion but I want to tell you something. If you want to eliminate scratches from your LW you can use red Displex solution.
Anyway, I tried OLV on Samsung Galaxy S, android 4.1 AOSP ant it worked like a charm but on CM 10.1 (4.2) it doesn't connect to the phone. The original application work but.. Can I do something to make OLV to work on CM 10.1?

Last edited:

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Can I do something to make OLV to work on CM 10.1?

If you have experience with programming for Android: yes, you can look at the code and the debug output and maybe you can code a solution.
I wrote most of the code in the OpenLiveView app but I can't get it to work on CM10.1 myself :(. I blame Google for using their own crappy bluetooth stack (that is used in Android since version 4.2) instead of the "old" stack that they used in older Android versions. Lots of people complained about their bluetooth devices not working anymore since they installed Android 4.2 so I think it's not a OLV specific bug.

On the other side: the code of OLV needs a lot of cleanup and rewriting, OLV is the first big app I tried to make for Android and I am not an experienced Java programmer. Maybe the bluetooth problems can be fixed by adding a permission or by calling another function in the bluetooth stack: I don't know.

Currently I am waiting for the fully open firmware for the LiveView to get support for bluetooth. Also I hope that Ubuntu's mobile operating system will get released soon: writing a driver for the Liveview on native linux has been on my to-do list for a while now and by running Ubuntu on my phone I can use one driver for both my laptop and my phone.
(I realy hope Ubuntu mobile will include all the features of their desktop version like access to the terminal and apt without having to hack around, like the need to root Android)

Reactions: jcs130

jcs130

May 14, 2013
Can this software support chinese?

If you have experience with programming for Android: yes, you can look at the code and the debug output and maybe you can code a solution.
I wrote most of the code in the OpenLiveView app but I can't get it to work on CM10.1 myself :(. I blame Google for using their own crappy bluetooth stack (that is used in Android since version 4.2) instead of the "old" stack that they used in older Android versions. Lots of people complained about their bluetooth devices not working anymore since they installed Android 4.2 so I think it's not a OLV specific bug.

On the other side: the code of OLV needs a lot of cleanup and rewriting, OLV is the first big app I tried to make for Android and I am not an experienced Java programmer. Maybe the bluetooth problems can be fixed by adding a permission or by calling another function in the bluetooth stack: I don't know.

Currently I am waiting for the fully open firmware for the LiveView to get support for bluetooth. Also I hope that Ubuntu's mobile operating system will get released soon: writing a driver for the Liveview on native linux has been on my to-do list for a while now and by running Ubuntu on my phone I can use one driver for both my laptop and my phone.
(I realy hope Ubuntu mobile will include all the features of their desktop version like access to the terminal and apt without having to hack around, like the need to root Android)

I think your work is wonderful~but I want use chinese on it,and it just show "??" How can I use the chinese? Thank you, and where can I download the source code? I can't find the latest version of it.

wangiles

Feb 17, 2008
eqevypaq.jpg
I've been using the OLV and it has been working great with my 4.0.4. Regular basis.

Now I have a problem that requires assistance. My watch clip broke! Darn cheap plastic. Now I can't clip anymore. Anyone has any solutions?

And I lost the clip. The one that broke were the two small clips that holds the watch down onto the strap. :(

Sent from my JY-G3 using Tapatalk 2

Cannon_Foddr

Jun 25, 2011
I've been using the OLV and it has been working great with my 4.0.4. Regular basis.

Now I have a problem that requires assistance. My watch clip broke! Darn cheap plastic. Now I can't clip anymore. Anyone has any solutions?

And I lost the clip. The one that broke were the two small clips that holds the watch down onto the strap. :(

Sent from my JY-G3 using Tapatalk 2
I've had the same thing happen to me.. you could try buying another strap off of ebay etc, However I found this post for a modification to the watch strap

It does mean you cannot unclip it from the strap holder anymore but since I don't use the belt clip attachment I couldn't see a problem with it, oh & I didn't have to 'enlarge the holes' either (perhaps the paperclip I had was thinner then the OP's :p )

Last edited:
Reactions: iks8 and wangiles

woodsy11smc

Nov 11, 2010
Cant connect to liveview

Could anybody help me please. my bluetooth wont pick up the liveview device. iv tried it on 4 phones now and none of them will pick it up. when i try to reinstall the software the update manager keeps giving an error message saying that there was a problem updating the software. This has been going on for weeks now and its really starting to bug me out so if anybody could help it would be really appreciated. thanks

theshamrockking

Mar 6, 2011
Phoenix
Is there any way to stop my phone from asking me to accept the pascode everytime the live view needs to reconnect? It dosent happen often but if I walk away from my phone or somethind and it loses connection I have to manually wake up my phone and then tell the live view to connect and then watch my phone for the pop up asking if the pascode is correct. I believe the live view super fixer app dose fix that but only seems to work with the offical live view app not openliveview. Any help with this issue?

Sent from my Note II

A

AndroidSlave

Is there any way to stop my phone from asking me to accept the pascode everytime the live view needs to reconnect? It dosent happen often but if I walk away from my phone or somethind and it loses connection I have to manually wake up my phone and then tell the live view to connect and then watch my phone for the pop up asking if the pascode is correct. I believe the live view super fixer app dose fix that but only seems to work with the offical live view app not openliveview. Any help with this issue?

Sent from my Note II

Yeah only way I got that fixed was by switching to a Sony smart watch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SV using Tapatalk 3

A

AndroidSlave

Yea im thinking about it. But also im thinking about the motoactv. I like that it can run android :)

Sent from my Note II

I had the same thoughts...but the motoactv is huge and ugly, the sony smart watch is chic and stylish... esp with a custom band...
also, all i really need is notifications... are you really going to browse the web, etc from your watch?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone