LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

fernyjbh

Jul 2, 2008
I have been using openliveview since a couple of months, and yesterday I upgraded my i9300 to 4.2.2 (leak) and now I don't receive any notifications, only sms and phone calls. I switched to de official liveview app and installed the customnotifications plugin, and experienced the same issue (that used to work for me before) so I suspect that is a 4.2.2 issue, anybody knows if they changed something in the notifications with that update?

PD: sorry if my english is bad.

PD2: Nevermind, I just realized that the update did a reset of my accessibility settings, now it works again. Kudos to the Devs BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: willfck4beer

Machaira

Aug 26, 2010
Does anyone know if Google Now is an available choice for notifications? I didn't see it in the list of other apps, but it's possible that I missed it

UnderSampled

Oct 22, 2012
Hey Guys! I just got my LiveView, and tried to use OpenLiveView to drive it, but all I get is "0:00am -- ---- ". If I press the select button, the connecting animation (not the pairing animation, it seems to pair fine) shows up, and I get a notification on my phone saying a liveview is connected, but it disappears quickly, and the liveview goes back to the 0:00 clock. The official liveview version seem sot work fine.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

P.S. I created a #openliveview channel on freenode.net which I believe would make development and support for this project much easier. If you don't know how to connect to freenode, you can use this link to join me via a web client: webchat.freenode.net/?channels=openliveview .
I plan on sitting on this channel, and I would love if some others would join me.

Thanks again!

Machaira

Aug 26, 2010
I'm not a big Bluetooth guy, so I could be *waaaaayyyyy* off on this, but I think the pairing your seeing is only part of the process. You'll need to continue to try to connect them further to achieve what you're looking for. In doing so, the LV will vibrate, have a list of icons, and show the correct time (per the phone). You may want to try toggling your Bluetooth, and rebooting both the LV as well as the phone.

voodoomurphy

Mar 27, 2006
so I got OpenLiveView running but I'm only receiving notifications from Calls and SMS. I added Facebook, Google+ and other apps to the white list but none of them are getting through to my HTC One X+. Any ideas?

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Hey anything I can do to help? My c, c++, assembly, java's a bit rusty but would love to learn more about open liveview (and or firmware). Any suggestions on where I should start reading? Any releases of source or devkits from Sony yet? Thanks

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
Any idea how one could easily modify the Sony firmware to use exclusively lowest brightness mode between the hours of 8pm and 7am? Would give approximately 30% better battery life.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Is it possible to set this logic in the openliveview app itself? There's no ambient light sensor, but it does know the time of day. If it forced low brightness mode in the dark (by time of day) I think it would reduce operating current from 46 to 30milliamps. 133% of the original battery life.

Hypothetically, would red, green, or blue ONLY text take two thirds less power than white text?

Is the Bluetooth transmit power settable manually in open live view? Or does bluetooth automatically reduce power based on sensed range or SNR? 30metres power is overkill when I velcro liveview directly to my phone as a second screen. If transmit power is a square of distance... reducing to low low power in some situations would save an amazing amount of power.

I'm using a small rechargeable nimh coincell with 200mah capacity through a tiny dc dc boost converter to charge the liveview 120mah battery. Working out pretty well. Using a small solar panel to keep the coincell charged. Using liveview instead of note2 phone screen is about ten times less battery draw on the phone. Love that I can charge live view from note2 usb otg in a pinch. I bought a very small male usb otg micro to micro usb male. 1 cable direct connect. Love this liveview.

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Has anyone seen this? I'm far from knowing code, but can't help but think this might mean good things for the OLV project.

That's great! If the api also allows for notification history (which seems like it does) then it would be possible to show notifications including their icon and the button for showing the app on the phone would work...

Now I hope they fixed the bluetooth stack...

jschramm97

Nov 8, 2007
Vibration function?

I'm not a programmer or anything by any means, i picked up the LiveView a month ago with one specific purpose in mind. Sadly it pretty much fails. So i thought I'd ask here if it's something I might be able to do before i move on from the device. I'm using a rooted Galaxy Nexus and OLV on my MN800. I'm very hard of hearing, my job requires i'm on-call for a week at a time, 24x7. But I can't hear my phone when i receive the SMS notification. So i thought I could get the LV and the vibration on it might wake me up, sadly it's not quite strong enough. Is there any way to increase the length or strength (or both) of the vibration alerts for SMS/MMS messages? I would be happy to donate my device (and money if it pans out) to the cause, please let me know. Otherwise i'm going to be looking into other solutions. Thanks!

clel

Dec 28, 2010
I do not know, whether changing the duration or intensity of the vibration is possible, but you could try to use Tasker to send several notifications to your device that might wake you up.

Last edited:

nadivar

Apr 5, 2007
Madrid
I have been using openliveview since a couple of months, and yesterday I upgraded my i9300 to 4.2.2 (leak) and now I don't receive any notifications, only sms and phone calls. I switched to de official liveview app and installed the customnotifications plugin, and experienced the same issue (that used to work for me before) so I suspect that is a 4.2.2 issue, anybody knows if they changed something in the notifications with that update?

PD: sorry if my english is bad.

PD2: Nevermind, I just realized that the update did a reset of my accessibility settings, now it works again. Kudos to the Devs BTW.

the same case. I have got N7000 with android 4.1
Any solution?
please help....

willfck4beer

Oct 18, 2007
First working prototype. 350% battery and solar watchstrap bitches :) also charges phone, headset, mouse, keyboard. Whatever!!! Kind of steampunkish uploadfromtaptalk1372923877642.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone