LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

clel

Dec 28, 2010
Please help, i have just bought Liveview, i charged full for 4h, when i connected, battery drain very fast in 3 - 4 minutes when i use plugins after that Liveview turn off?? Please help me how to fix ít, i can't use ít :(

Do you have the original firmware installed?

Reactions: skudo101

clel

Dec 28, 2010
i just open box, not update firmware, but after that i update firmware with update sony mobile tool, it still same as :(, please help me!

Ok, I thought that you would maybe have the custom firmware out of this thread installed, which is consuming very much battery and is not thought for daily use. The problem you are describing seems to be a hardware issue, so I would recommend to contact the support to get a working device.

clel

Dec 28, 2010
i have a problem with battery icon, when i charged full, connected normal, battery status full but after 1 minutes it reduce 70%, after 50% and 10%, and turn off, if i don't use battery icon suddently increase full :(, i think issue with firmware not stable or hardware????

For me this definetely sounds like an device problem, so we are not able to fix it. That is why I recommended you to contact the support to get a working device.

jkorp

Sep 24, 2012
Göteborg
For me this definetely sounds like an device problem, so we are not able to fix it. That is why I recommended you to contact the support to get a working device.

Yes, I agree. When I bouhgt mine (a year ago), it lasted for half a day. I returned it to the store, and got another one. This one has a battery that lasts for up to a week (depending on how much I use it). The LiveViews sold now are probably produced several years back, and have been on the shelf since then. Batteries do not like being completely discharged for a long time... Try to get the device replaced by the store.

Reactions: skudo101 and xhozt

yuggybear

Aug 8, 2013
openliveview stop notification vibrate

Hi,

I'm using Sony Live view device with OpenLiveView and it all works well. I'm using Tasker to send notifications and I would like to send a notification without the device vibrating. I can't seem to find a way to do it. Anyone got any ideas?

thanks

shokmah

Sep 8, 2008
Moto G 2014 LTE
LeEco Le 2
First of all sorry for my approximative english :(

Just read all from the beginning.
sometimes, It's hard to follow between messages about :
-OpenLiveView "Manager" (and it's Forks, Mods)
-OpenLiveView OS (chibiOS )
-many other projects/question/talks...

I think there is a lack of thread dedicted to specific purposes :

-Introduction/FAQ/Read.Before.Ask
-OpenLiveView Manager Dev/Mod
-OpenLiveView FirmWare Dev
-Q/A , help, support, etc...

I'll be glad to help and be volunters to do it with consent of projects instigator(s) !

Anyway, I just buy a liveview and receive it today !
OpenLiveView is an awesome app but the lack of possibilities to initiate contact call let me stuck to sony's liveview manager.
Don't want to get my 7" phablet out of its pocket each time I want to make a call >_<

nice to meet other liveview owners anyway ;)

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
@renzenicolai

I started from scratch and reused some parts of the code. My approach is to do everything with plugins. There will be a plugin manager that finds all installed plugins, let the user sort and disable/enable them, provides a list for the menu and an API for the dispatcher. The dispatcher is invoked for every received event and dispatches the event to either a built-in handler (time, menu etc.) or to the plugin (via the plugin manager) for navigation and alert events.

Currently my problem is to write the plugin api. I need bidirectional communication between different processes. Android provides IPC via AIDL. The plugin would be the service and would be started for long time with a start event (e.g. user opens the app on the LiveView) or short time (get plugin information for menu, capabilities etc). But the plugin must be able to initiate a connection, too. This is required e.g. for new notifications.
Intents would be another approach, but I think services are better.

You can find the working version here (only basic connection and one fake menu entry):
https://github.com/SammysHP/OpenLiveView-new

And here a first draft for the plugin manager, but not working because I never worked with IPC in Android and have no plan how to do it:
https://github.com/SammysHP/OpenLiveView-new/tree/plugin

Yes, that's true. 2 seconds timeout and then - disconnect. I hope that GottZ will make a really good firmware with a better protocol. :D

I completely overlooked your post, sorry!
It's great that finally someone has rewritten the bluetooth and protocol stuff! Now the big question: does your code work on Android 4.2.x?
If it does it would be a big help (since my code fails to work on everything later than Android 4.1...).

To be honest: I didn't have a clue on how to implement plugins too. After looking at AIDL and other methods I decided that it would be easier to use a broadcast receiver for receiving output (you can filter the received intents to only react the currently active plugin) and sending intents to the currently selected plugin. Maybe it's not the best way but I just can't seem to make Java do what I want :)

Reactions: willfck4beer

MJHawaii

Aug 13, 2011
Honolulu, HI
www.androidhawaii.org
I've been playing around with that now old version of the firmware, but it would be awesome if I could look at your new stuff. Could you come into the IRC channel while you code?

In unto j nu nu in

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Neither :) Did it from disassembly of the manager - much easier than sniffing and guessing.

If you don't have that option and said gadget connects to an Android phone, put on a decent ROM with the full BlueZ stack (e.g., Cyanogen) and use hcidump. It's really, really useful!

Come to think of it, Wireshark might be good enough - the only thing I found useful about hcidump was the SCO audio dump.
No.
N

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2
J

lauticol

Apr 11, 2010
Tucuman, Argentina
Hello, I would like to ask if there's still someone behind the development of OpenLiveView, because I think it's a very good app, but has some functionality lacking. Anyways, I just wanted to know if it would accept plugins

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
Hello, I would like to ask if there's still someone behind the development of OpenLiveView, because I think it's a very good app, but has some functionality lacking. Anyways, I just wanted to know if it would accept plugins

renzenicolai is working on it still I assume, development just looks slow (no git commits in a few months). Openliveview currently has plugin support, its just limited, unfinished, and not finalized.

What functionality are you missing?

Sent from my Evo V 4G using Tapatalk 2

Blackross

Sep 21, 2009
updating the firmware, USB pins argh.

I opened my LiveView with a knive and I think I can solder the on/off switch back on the pcb, but: I ripped off the cable (including the connector) that goes to the screen-buttons while opening the device... :( I don't think I can restore that.

wife bought me a liveview in feb 2013 for my birthday, well it arrived with the usb pins borked off the pcb inside so i soldered some bus wire to the usb pins, charges ok, BUT i can't flash the firmware via the update app (tooo tiny to solder all the wires with lifted pad on the pcb).... my question here is, is there a way to update via the bluetooth? or the pin pads inside on the pcb (and if so on this last bit, is there a good howto written)?

like i said it charges cool, OLV works great well version 1.0.2.2 the 1.0.3* doesnt work that well.
but i think my major hangup is the firmware needing updated.

or better yet will OLV ever handle update over bluetooth ;)

i'm going to search through the forums some more and see if i skipped over the jtag or usb area for the live view...

lauticol

Apr 11, 2010
Tucuman, Argentina
renzenicolai is working on it still I assume, development just looks slow (no git commits in a few months). Openliveview currently has plugin support, its just limited, unfinished, and not finalized.
What functionality are you missing?

Sent from my Evo V 4G using Tapatalk 2

The OpenLiveView I have says plugins are not available, and since I updated to android 4.2.2 I'm experiencing trouble with the media menú on the watch not working and Also when I go into the app, to the "Notifications" the app crashes, while I could do it fine in 4.1.2
I think this watch has a really good potencial that hasn't been exploded. I would love the option of changing the language (my native language is Spanish), reorder the date Year-Month-Date to Date-Month-Year, maybe add some colors to the menús so the watch doesnt seem monochrome and maybe correct a little annoyance I have that when you're on a note and the screen goes off, it goes to the start of the note.
Again, this are just my 5 cents, I'm not criticising the awesome job you guys did. I would be happy to help if you need help in anything, I'd do it myself if I knew how. Anyways thanks for at least reading what I wrote :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone