LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

daolcer

Mar 6, 2010
A useful thing will be that the displayed information could be rotated 90º so we can use the standard clip to hold the LiveView in any 'wrist-strap' as the new Sony smartwatch 2 does, instead of the silly-breakable adapter.

With this mod the microUSB will be accesible ALL THE TIME!!! to charge it and the buttons will be in one side.
If you can choose clokwise or counterclockwise (if you want the buttons by your hand or by your wrist or for left-handed or right-handed) it will be superb!

Is it possible?

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
A useful thing will be that the displayed information could be rotated 90º so we can use the standard clip to hold the LiveView in any 'wrist-strap' as the new Sony smartwatch 2 does, instead of the silly-breakable adapter.

With this mod the microUSB will be accesible ALL THE TIME!!! to charge it and the buttons will be in one side.
If you can choose clokwise or counterclockwise (if you want the buttons by your hand or by your wrist or for left-handed or right-handed) it will be superb!

Is it possible?

to be honest i thought about rotation too.
but in my case i even thought about gluing the watch into the broken wrist band part

gerard0986

Dec 16, 2007
Victorville
Here is the APK. Note that because I signed it with my own key, you will not be able to upgrade your OpenLiveView installation. You will have to uninstall OpenLiveView and re-install.

John

Just wanna report that it crashes sometimes on my Galaxy S4 on Hyperdrive. Just shows a black page with the header and the Liveview can't connect. Stopping it and restarting the program doesn't seem to help, only restarting the device.

jtbrody

Jan 13, 2014
San Francisco
Does this version fix the frequently disconnections ?
Thanks for the erviving the theme

I believe it does fix some disconnections. It did for me, however I did not see others having the same problem so I can't be sure.

Just wanna report that it crashes sometimes on my Galaxy S4 on Hyperdrive. Just shows a black page with the header and the Liveview can't connect. Stopping it and restarting the program doesn't seem to help, only restarting the device.

Sorry to hear that :(
Are you able to pull logs with logcat?

Nan oTrex

May 11, 2014
hello,

I know this post is very old :eek: but I wonder how you extract PNG of firmware LiveView, I would do for smartwatch I got the firmware and I decompile with ida pro THANKS

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
hello,

I know this post is very old :eek: but I wonder how you extract PNG of firmware LiveView, I would do for smartwatch I got the firmware and I decompile with ida pro THANKS

I wrote a plain c application that scans a file for png signatures and dumps them into separate files

I'm writing from phone. When I'm on my laptop I'll share the code again if you like

Snelfo

Mar 11, 2009
Bari
Hi everyone, i have just bought an used sony ericsson liveview and it seems amazing! works with my lg g2 but i have the trouble of frequent disconnection...so i tried to update the liveview but the update service is no more online...a message says me to use pc companion app from sony...but there is no possibility to update the liveview as it is too old (imho)...

how can i update it so that i can solve the problem of disconnection?? please help this is really an amazing device!

Snelfo

Mar 11, 2009
Bari
It's basically rubbish. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

yes i paid only 25 euros...but for a such low price the device is really cool! and works quite fine until now.... i have partially solved the problem with the liveview manager app on play store but i still wish to upate it

Ultimategeppie

Jan 7, 2011
Apeldoorn
search this thread for liveview apps (v0.5). These apps are a result from developers that re-engineered communication between liveview and phone.
The disconnect problem is solved in this app, and it has the same basic functionality as sony has made.
But further development seemed to have stopped.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

ps: no need for firmware updates on the device. Just use this app instead of sony's liveview-app.

gelvlc

Feb 26, 2011
valencia
search this thread for liveview apps (v0.5). These apps are a result from developers that re-engineered communication between liveview and phone.
The disconnect problem is solved in this app, and it has the same basic functionality as sony has made.
But further development seemed to have stopped.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

ps: no need for firmware updates on the device. Just use this app instead of sony's liveview-app.
I tried the app and it's so cool. But it doesn't have plugins like Sony app.

GT-I9300 LiquidSmooth v.3.2 - 4.4.4
Base: I9300BUUGMK1
Kernel: Boeffla 2.4 beta
Recovery: Team win recovery project 2.8

Ultimategeppie

Jan 7, 2011
Apeldoorn
True.
it's a choice between plugins and disconnects.
This why it's buggy.

Nonetheless it's great that people have done this and came so far!! But with all the new smartwatches my liveview is lying in a corner, doing nothing.

Snelfo

Mar 11, 2009
Bari
i have to say that, for the use that i wanted ( to know who the hell i calling me every single f...ing time i move with my motorcycle) it is really usefull... in my opinion it is useless to have a quad core device with amazing graphics and capable of grat game at your wrist...i allready have the phone for that!

my only wish is to update it to the last version of firmware so that i know that it is at his best...

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Jep, it's dead

I haven't used the liveview in a loooong time (since the wristband broke).
For the people who still want to play with their liveview there is some usefull information available in this topic, but I strongly recommend new users to look for another device.

Another final thanks to everyone who has helped with making our Liveviews more usefull.

(everyone who wants to can still contact me if you want me to put a link to your repo in the google code project page or if you want me to take my version of the app down from google play, so you can publish your version)

I think the next step for me will be finding a newer smartwatch that costs less than 25 euro. :cowboy:

Greetings,
Renze Nicolai

Reactions: Ultimategeppie

AndriiG

Nov 24, 2010
It's basically rubbish. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

I have one, and cannot agree on that. As a watch it sucks, but it is not really a watch. It is basic notification device/display. And in a such capacity it is quite OK for a price. Calls, SMS, gmail notifications and meetings it works just fine, and I have no problems with disconnects (lucky me ;)
Personally, I will date for Moto 360 second edition before dumping mine LiveView.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone